Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 02-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
SuckSuckStyle
Socialphobic

Location: you look like you like to hang out. you look like you like to hang out and drink soda
Question on Native Americans and Christianity

I have a friend- more of a facebook friend- (friend of friends/transguy/keep him on there to be polite/we've met once)- he's from Texas and I know has some Native American lineage but has never really gabbed about it. a good 40% of his status updates are very Christian, prayers to Jesus, he goes to church, etc.

This week he started posting all this stuff about Native Americans fighting for their right to practice their spirituality, etc. It wasn't just as an ally, either. He was saying things like "I have the right to worship MY God in MY way" and, if you had never seen any of his Jesus praises, you'd assume that he was someone who took their traditional Native spirituality very seriously.

I was a bit confused and it seemed a little band-wagony.
Is this offensive to Natives who are serious about traditions? He's a white Christian who wears a cross and is all of a sudden establishing his inclusion in this fight to practice 'his' religion- one that up until now, I haven't heard anything about from him.
Is this common? How are Christian Natives received among the non-Christian Native community?

I'm just confused. It reminded me of my friend who doesnt believe in dinosaurs bc of the bible but she's hella down to get summadat ca$ino papa.

I'm looking at you, Starla.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

this thread offends me

Old 02-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckSuckStyle View Post
I'm just confused. It reminded me of my friend who doesnt believe in dinosaurs bc of the bible but she's hella down to get summadat ca$ino papa.
How does she explain dinosaur fossils?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
SuckSuckStyle
Socialphobic

Location: you look like you like to hang out. you look like you like to hang out and drink soda

they were planted there by liberals

Old 02-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Shallowed
Braindead

I had to read this a couple of times to make sense of it.

This reminds me of what I was talking about with my parents the other day, regarding citizenship, nationality, passports, international law etc.. Basically I expressed my thoughts on how weird it was that so many things dictate what laws apply to you just because of who your parents are, the gender you turned out to be, and the country that you were born in.

It makes me wonder, how likely would he be making these posts if he had no Native lineage? Would it be more or less offensive? What of a white person practising whatever spirituality Native Americans traditionally have?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

i think this is pretty clear, the guy is stupid. end of story.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Shallowed
Braindead

ya.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
Starla

It really depends on how someone was raised. Most natives raised on a reservation will follow the traditions and spiritual teachings of that tribe. Some may follow Christianity if their parents or grandparents were indoctrinated in the Catholic boarding schools. A lot of natives who were adopted by non native families will more than likely be raised as Mormons, Christians, etc.

Due to the abuses natives suffered in the Catholic boarding schools, they will turn away from Christianity and go toward their traditions. My great aunt went to one of these schools in the 50's and they forced her to cut her hair and did not allow her to speak her own language. A lot of abuses took place in these schools up until the early 70's.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:11 AM   #9
Luke de Spa
someone more...punk rock?

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
This reminds me of what I was talking about with my parents the other day, regarding citizenship, nationality, passports, international law etc.. Basically I expressed my thoughts on how weird it was that so many things dictate what laws apply to you just because of who your parents are, the gender you turned out to be, and the country that you were born in.
what did your parents say

Old 02-08-2013, 05:38 AM   #10
TuralyonW3
Immortal

non applicable

religion is stupid