Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2018, 03:45 PM   #1
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Netphoria before "Negativity"

I was just wondering about whether this was ever a "positive" board. I think I joined it around 2006 and enjoyed it as a venue for talking about Machina 2, which I had just discovered, feeling bad about TFE, and decoding his 2005 blog posts. It was also a good outlet for the earth-shattering disappointment known as Zeitgeist.

But before then - in the era before Zwan or before Machina - were people here positive about the music? Or did this board even hate Machina 2 when it came out?

Furthermore, did this board ever uncritically accept Billy? Or has it always been a place for those more critical of his self-aggrandizement. (I think that this is a strength of the board.)

Just curious.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:25 PM   #2
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

I can only vaguely remember the 90s days but I don't recall much negativity. Back then Billy could do little wrong. Even in the Zwan days it wasn't bad, although many didn't like the production on Mary Star of the Sea, especially the compression and digital clipping.

I think Zeitgeist really caused a lot of negativity towards Billy. Then Jimmy left and Byrne was the new drummer and it seemed like a very odd decision.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:28 PM   #3
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

I started here in the mid-2000s and it’s always been negative as shit, there were just ten times more people.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:31 PM   #4
redbull
Immortal

I remember things were pretty negative in the Zwan era when I first started reading the board. The whole MSOTS clipping scandal especially and weird / unexplained circumstances around the Zwan breakup being flash points

Old 10-16-2018, 04:32 PM   #5
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

It's seems like 50/50 positive to negative atm. I remember the balance favoring the positive much moreso than it does now, and there were maybe a hundred regulars, instead of a dozen.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:37 PM   #6
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I don't know about the attitude toward the band's output, but in terms of being a positive space, I'm a new member, but when I look at the archives, the place seemed like it was a lot more hostile and toxic back in the day. More trolling, misogyny, racism, and homophobia than the board would accept today.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:43 PM   #7
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I don't know about the attitude toward the band's output, but in terms of being a positive space, I'm a new member, but when I look at the archives, the place seemed like it was a lot more hostile and toxic back in the day. More trolling, misogyny, racism, and homophobia than the board would accept today.
You say misogyny like that’s not just a normal every day part of modern life. Like it’s something that is generally frowned upon like racism.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:09 PM   #8
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

I recall that Machina II seemed to be universally loved, and that the response to M1 was mixed/confusion. But later on, this place basically seemed to be 4chan lite when I revisited around ZG, so I stood away.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #9
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I remember things were pretty negative in the Zwan era when I first started reading the board. The whole MSOTS clipping scandal especially and weird / unexplained circumstances around the Zwan breakup being flash points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
It's seems like 50/50 positive to negative atm. I remember the balance favoring the positive much moreso than it does now, and there were maybe a hundred regulars, instead of a dozen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
I recall that Machina II seemed to be universally loved, and that the response to M1 was mixed/confusion. But later on, this place basically seemed to be 4chan lite when I revisited around ZG, so I stood away.
I started coming here in 2003. The 4chan culture of absurdity, irreverence, sexism, and racism was strongest then and has slowly decreased over time, at least to my perception. By Zeitgeist era, I would say the attitude that literally anything goes had significantly decreased. I always saw this as happening in correlation to the internet moving from the anonymous wild west of the 90s to the social media age where everyone's personal lives are tied directly to their internet identities.

As for the board's attitude towards Billy and the music, it is more negative now, but also weirdly seems to have the same sort of balance. When I started posting, the prevailing attitude was that SP and Billy were truly top notch amazing artists, but Machina was considered to be a huge disappointing turd to most users. It was treated as lowly as we refer to Monuments or Zeitgeist now, so it's interesting that time and more bad music has recontextualized MI into an album most people feel is mediocre to good instead of absolute shit to mediocre. The Zwan album garnered a lot of negative attention as well, but like redbull said, I remember a lot of it being about the clipping, the song selection, then the sudden break-up. Machina and MSOTS seemed like aberrations in that Arising tour was great, MII was great, Zwan live was great... but suddenly the albums did not represent the quality of the music. So it took a few more releases before people started being so hostile towards Billy's artistry and thinking Machina and MSOTS were more than just random flukes where his talent crapped out.

Still, the overall reaction to every successive release here has been positive. People really liked TFE, Zeitgeist, and Oceania at first, but it only took a little bit of time for the luster to fade. Monuments was the first LP where the majority of people here seemed to hate it upon release.

As for hostility towards BC personally, there was almost none. He was really idolized still when I first came here. I remember when he made the comments on his baby blue blog page about D'arcy being a mean-spirited drug addict and James being a piece of shit, that was fucking huge and shocking. It's almost hard to conceive now, but there was a time before the internet allowed Bill's insanity and negativity and aggression to completely redraw the image of him in the mind of the fans.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #10
FoolofaTook

i remember clicking on links only to find pictures of prolapsed anuses.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:43 PM   #11
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
yeah - thats classic netphoria right there, in a nutshell. that sums it all up. goatse guy.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #12
redbreegull

Quote:
I'm not even sure there was a NSFW rule until maybe 2005-2007. There were no rules. People posted nudes of exes, photos of dead bodies, you name it.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:34 PM   #13
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I'm not even sure there was a NSFW rule until maybe 2005-2007. There were no rules. People posted nudes of exes, photos of dead bodies, you name it.
That's nothing. I remember that steak and cheese website from the early 2000s where if you found those photos you were lucky lol.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:38 PM   #14
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Yeah, I remember. I think I started lurking around the time you registered, 2003ish. That was around the time Linda exposed herself, I think. Also I know B0lly himself signed up very, very briefly. Or am I tripping?

Old 10-17-2018, 07:34 AM   #15
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
LOL

Yeah I was a member of this board back in 2007 because I was really excited about the forthcoming reunion album (ah, remember what it was like to have hope?). I remember someone posting a link they said was to the new single (Tarantula) and like an idiot, I immediately clicked on it.

It opened a video of a bunch 80-year-old men sucking each other’s dicks. Mind you, this happened while I was at work. Luckily I was able to close the video really fast before anyone saw but my God, that was awful.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:52 AM   #16
FoolofaTook

lemonparty!

Old 10-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #17
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
LOL

Yeah I was a member of this board back in 2007 because I was really excited about the forthcoming reunion album (ah, remember what it was like to have hope?). I remember someone posting a link they said was to the new single (Tarantula) and like an idiot, I immediately clicked on it.

It opened a video of a bunch 80-year-old men sucking each other’s dicks. Mind you, this happened while I was at work. Luckily I was able to close the video really fast before anyone saw but my God, that was awful.
that right there was the netpho I fell in love with

Old 10-16-2018, 05:23 PM   #18
jpflori
Pledge

I will tell you on Sunday.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:38 PM   #19
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

Ive been an official member here since 2000., but lurked around pre 1998 / adore. Its been negative and narcissistic and aggressive since I can remember. Which I think is unique to being an old school fan of the smashing pumpkins. Kind of like at Primus shows, everyone yells, "Primus sucks!".

Psychologically it may be a reaction to Bill Corgan Jr's negativity, narcissism and aggressiveness towards fans, the media, etc. We typically criticize the hell out of him, and SP, and expect perfection, and even then, lament what all could have been.

Last edited by Gooch : 10-17-2018 at 12:00 PM.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:47 PM   #20
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

The days when you could post giant pictures on people's feedback pages were good.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:52 PM   #21
FoolofaTook

i was pretty intimidated by this place. it was wild. there were some real meanies here. not as bad as, say, buzzard, but still pretty mean.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:58 PM   #22
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

If sad machines knew Billy in real life, more than just a fawning fan encounter, he’d make them cry.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #23
D.
Consume my pants.

wow how about that it got negative once billy started sucking who would guess

maybe it's not us being negative; maybe it's that he is making terrible music now

Old 10-16-2018, 06:14 PM   #24
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
wow how about that it got negative once billy started sucking who would guess

maybe it's not us being negative; maybe it's that he is making terrible music now
That pretty much sums it up.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:14 PM   #25
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

i remember staying away for years because of viruses my computer couldn't handle. once the rep thing was introduced, i left. users were very obsessed with having green tiles under their names.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:19 PM   #26
D.
Consume my pants.

the rep wars

omggggggg

that was so childish of netphoria. and that's saying a lot because the building blocks of netphoria is childishness.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:20 PM   #27
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
the rep wars

omggggggg

that was so childish of netphoria. and that's saying a lot because the building blocks of netphoria is childishness.
The rep wars were great fun. Some people got quite upset.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:31 PM   #28
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Netphoria used to be like 4Chan, that’s for sure. Anything went. It also gave your computer AIDS. There were some notoriously nasty trojans it would give your pc.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:19 PM   #29
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

what negativity are you guys talking about

this is a bona fide fan board

Old 10-16-2018, 07:01 PM   #30
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

netphoria murdered my work pc

and I was acting like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯