Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
morespsoon

Thumbs down Why was Darcy left out of the "Graceful Swans Of Never" Documentary?

Was anyone else disappointed and distressed that Darcy was only quoted once in the documentary?

I've been a big SP fan since "Siamese Dream" came out and I would have liked to hear more of Darcy's opinions and perspectives in the documentary. Even if she didn't want to do a new interview for the documentary (which would have been great), there has to be tons of old footage from past interviews that could have been included. But, she only was quoted once in the whole thing.

Did that bother anyone else? Any comments?

Old 03-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
morespsoon

For anyone that hasn't seen the documentary, it's worth watching.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

That was released during the Machina era after she quit. Billy may have still been a little pissed with her.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
morespsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
That was released during the Machina era after she quit. Billy may have still been a little pissed with her.
I didn't know that, I thought it was fairly new. I saw it on youtube last year for the first time. Anyways, was Billy Corgan in charge of the content? I got the feeling that it was made by a more objective source?

Old 03-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think Billy hired people to make the documentary. It was released around the time they were putting on their farewell shows in Chicago.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
morespsoon

Quote:
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think Billy hired people to make the documentary. It was released around the time they were putting on their farewell shows in Chicago.
So it's fake objectivity then?

Old 03-02-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Not quite. He may have seen the final edit but I don't think he oversaw every detail of the thing.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #8
morespsoon

Quote:
Not quite. He may have seen the final edit but I don't think he oversaw every detail of the thing.
If you were making a documentary of your boss, how objective could you be?

Old 03-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #9
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Maybe she was asked and she didn't want to be part of it or if she was part of it she would just hate on billy. Who knows. But they do talk about her in it.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #10
Pizza Club
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by morespsoon View Post
If you were making a documentary of your boss, how objective could you be?
He did end up suing Bart Lipton for unrelated reasons. But yes, this is like 13 years old now and came out shortly after D'arcy's first arrest.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #11
Kahlo

Hey morespsoon what else distresses you? D'Arcy not being in this Doc seems like major stuff.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:31 PM   #12
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
was Billy Corgan in charge of the content?
Ha!
you've been an SP fan for how long?

Old 03-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #13
Ramdust
Apocalyptic Poster

36:30

It would be kinda cool if Jimmy ever rejoined.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:31 PM   #14
Bread Regal
Banned

to suggest d'arcy was "left out" is comical.

pretty sure she wants not a fuckin' thing to do with bill.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:04 PM   #15
Banana
Banned

Just started watching. Never seen this before.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #16
panda show
Ownz

to be honest, when I look back at those days, (april 1999) when d'arcy left, many people who met her then say that she was completely fed up with the music business and the rock-star life. so I guess it must've been her own decision to not take part in anything SP-related after her departure, or generally anything that would give her exposure in the media..
this documentary was shot before the last metro show I think..

have you seen the 'full circle' documentary? it's on youtube, it's in 5 or 6 parts I think.. that one was released after the last metro show and has footage of it as well..
it also has some interviews with james, even though he and billy were not on good terms back then.. so I suppose if d'arcy wanted to say a few words, they'd let her to.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #17
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

i thought she wanted to become an actress after she had left the pumpkins. or was that not the case?
surely an actress wouldn't mind some media exposure?

Old 03-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #18
morespsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
Hey morespsoon what else distresses you? D'Arcy not being in this Doc seems like major stuff.
It's about as major as the tedious details of the tea house show, wouldn't you say?

But, watching the documentary reminded me of how much I used to admire Darcy for her attitude and coolness and perspective and I kept hoping there would be comments from her as I was watching the documentary but they never came so it bothered me.

It bothered me, OK? It was a waisted opportunity but a good documentary overall I'd say.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #19
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Well, she was a crack addict at that point. So...

Old 03-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #20
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
Well, she was a crack addict at that point. So...
quit flouting your non-addict-privilege.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #21
panda show
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
i thought she wanted to become an actress after she had left the pumpkins. or was that not the case?
surely an actress wouldn't mind some media exposure?
actually there's no real proof she wanted to be an actress. I'm not even sure how people got to that conclusion.. maybe because in the 'full circle' documentary billy says something like : "the reasons [for d'arcy's departure] go way deep and over the course of so many years that it's hard to just give that one explanation like 'oh, she wanted to be an actress or something like that." ? I read somewhere that she was supposed to be in some movie with mickey rourke but the movie never happened so that's about it.

although, I guess the turning point was when she was arrested for crack possesion in early 2000.. after that practically nobody heard anything from her for another 8-9 years, so that's probably what made her isolate herself from the media.. and since most of the documentaries were made in late 2000, I'm not suprised she didn't say anything.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #22
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda show View Post
actually there's no real proof she wanted to be an actress. I'm not even sure how people got to that conclusion.. maybe because in the 'full circle' documentary billy says something like : "the reasons [for d'arcy's departure] go way deep and over the course of so many years that it's hard to just give that one explanation like 'oh, she wanted to be an actress or something like that." ? I read somewhere that she was supposed to be in some movie with mickey rourke but the movie never happened so that's about it.
>>>

Quote:
Nov 30 1999

A former Smashing Pumpkin is headed for the silver screen.

According to "Chicago" magazine, D'Arcy Wretzky, the band's recently departed bass player, will be starring in a feature called "Peaces of Ronnie" alongside actor Mickey Rourke.

The magazine reports that the bassist will be playing a "comedic mafia hit woman" in the film, which is directed by the relatively unknown Craig Singer ("The Animal Room") and expected out sometime next year.

The article also says that Marilyn Manson bassist Twiggy Ramirez will have a role in the flick, though a spokesperson for the band told MTV News that is no longer the case.

Blondie's Debbie Harry and Australian pop star Kylie Minogue are both listed by the Internet Movie Database as being featured in the film. However, Harry's theatrical agent told MTV News that while the role was offered to his client some time ago, discussions ended when the production stalled. A spokesperson for Minogue could not be reached.

D'Arcy's former bandmates in the Smashing Pumpkins have confirmed via a press release that the title of their upcoming album is "MACHINA/the machines of God," which is now scheduled for worldwide release on February 29.

As we previously reported, the Pumpkins will be launching an 18-month world tour in Sweden on January 7. Ex-Hole bassist Melissa Auf Der Maur will be replacing D'Arcy on the outing, which also sees drummer Jimmy Chamberlin returning to the fold (see "Smashing Pumpkins Line Up European Tour Dates?").

A spokesperson for the band's label could not confirm whether or not D'Arcy was still featured on the new record, which was recorded before her departure. Sources close to the band say that head Pumpkin Billy Corgan played most of the parts himself.

In the "Chicago" interview, D'Arcy had no comment on the possibility of reuniting with the Pumpkins. The bassist parted ways with the band in September (see "Smashing Pumpkins' D'arcy Leaves Band").
Source:
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/143...ollywood.jhtml

Old 03-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #23
panda show
Ownz

yeah, I guess she started shunning away from the media attention after that arrest, like I said in the earlier post. although she pretty much hated the music industry at the time.. a lot of people who've met her then say that it was the music business (probably coupled with the tensions in the band) that made her leave the pumpkins.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:40 AM   #24
morespsoon

I was giving this some thought today, was Darcy the coolest member the Pumpkins ever had?

If you think about the original members:

Billy Corgan: What's cool about a narcissistic ego-maniacal control freak? None of that's cool.

James Iha: From what I've read, the word "asshole" comes up a lot. That's not cool.

Jimmy Chamberlain: Everything I've ever heard him say reminds me of one thing: Bland. That's not cool.

I'd say none of the current members in the band strike me as cool.

That leaves Darcy, Mike Byrne, Melissa Auf der Maur, Ginger Reyes, and Matt Walker as people that I would consider as being genuine "band members."

Out of that group, I would choose Darcy as the coolest, personally. This would be a hell of a thread but based on my experience on this forum the topic would get bashed for many reasons.

Anyone want to start up a thread on this topic?

Old 03-05-2014, 03:34 AM   #25
Cool As Ice Cream

Arrow

Quote:
Anyone want to start up a thread on this topic?
no.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:36 AM   #26
Cool As Ice Cream

you came up with a stupid question and one vague reason per member why they're not cool. ("from what i've read, the word asshole comes up a lot. that's not cool.")
i'm sure someone could come up with a vague reason why d'arcy wasn't cool. and then what? mike garson is the coolest pumpkin now? ("he played with david bowie. that's cool.")
great reasoning, morespoons! well done.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:00 AM   #27
morespsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
you came up with a stupid question and one vague reason per member why they're not cool. ("from what i've read, the word asshole comes up a lot. that's not cool.")
i'm sure someone could come up with a vague reason why d'arcy wasn't cool. and then what? mike garson is the coolest pumpkin now? ("he played with david bowie. that's cool.")
great reasoning, morespoons! well done.
Something like "coolness" is totally subjective. I didn't give one vague reason for Billy Corgan though, should I elaborate on that one?

Old 03-05-2014, 04:02 AM   #28
morespsoon

The "coolness" topic will never fly on this board.

But, how about this topic:

Who do you consider to be have been a REAL member of Smashing Pumpkins?

That's a complex and interesting discussion right there, any objections?

Old 03-05-2014, 04:08 AM   #29
Cool As Ice Cream

i personally think that's an absolutely pointless discussion.

basically what you want to do is label and categorise all band members. i wouldn't know why you'd want to do that. maybe you're one of those people who enjoys making lists and organising your albums in itunes?
you could come up with two or more categories and discuss the shit out of them, but in the end, it'll just come down to the definition of your categories. big fucking deal.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:10 AM   #30
Cool As Ice Cream

"x is a real member of the band to me, because my definition is this and this."
"LOL! retard! x is not a real member of the band. he doesn't fit my definition."
(and so on for a page or two.)