Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Default does anyone else not give a shit about new releases?

All these unreleased songs and rarities people seem to want. Yeah maybe 15 years ago they would have been nice but I'm not going begging to Bill for anything now. Boxsets of this and that who cares?

Old 09-06-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Yes

FIN

Old 09-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #3
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

yeah, don't care

Old 09-06-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

are you fellas the ones who are pumped for NEW MUSIC??

COME ON LET'S HEAR IT FOR NEW MUSIC FROM SMASHING PUMPKINS

Old 09-06-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
redbreegull

GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT

Old 09-06-2018, 03:08 PM   #6
RAWK
Pledge

Billy could record himself dry-heaving and people at Sad Machines would call it his best work.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Still somewhat interested in what's in "the archives" but certainly not going to hold my breath or beg.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:29 PM   #8
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

https://media.giphy.com/media/KAyckM8HmHzjO/giphy.gif

Old 09-06-2018, 03:35 PM   #9
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Each reissue has had at least a handful of worthwhile "curiosities" that had never been released before or were at least put out in significantly better quality this time around. So yeah, I care about the archival shit (namely Machina reissue) but am also gonna check out any new stuff cos surely getting Iha, Chamberlin & Corgan in the studio together is at least going to result in a couple moments of goodness

Old 09-06-2018, 07:04 PM   #10
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaguitar View Post
All these unreleased songs and rarities people seem to want. Yeah maybe 15 years ago they would have been nice but I'm not going begging to Bill for anything now. Boxsets of this and that who cares?
I agree. Seems all the gems have already been released by now anyways and things like Zwan and Zeitgeist throwaways don't really move the needle much. I'd still love to see the final Metro show though. That I'd be stoked to buy.

As for new material, Solara really squelched my hopes of Iha/BC/JC recreating some sort of return to form. I'm a fan of some of the stuff on Monuments though, so I'm cautiously optimistic that there might be a few songs on the new album that I'll dig.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:30 PM   #11
redbreegull

I don't see any evidence that "all the gems have already been released." All the reissues had some cool stuff we had not heard. It seems more likely, based on Billy's pattern of shelving his best shit and shoving his worst down our throats, that there is still probably a lot more cool shit we have not heard.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:17 PM   #12
fuzzyroes
Banned

I think this idea that Billy "shelves his best shit" is nothing more than an urban legend. Corgan always talks a big game, but it's likely nothing more than blusterous sensationalism...

I recall during the Adore era that he said he had this great song that would've been a smash hit and that it would've saved Adore, but the fact was, it was simply just alright, a song that wouldn't have caused much of a stir at all. In fact I feel strongly that the Machina version of LMGTWTY is vastly superior.

Sure, people will also point to songs like Gossamer, but really, it's simply a song that wouldn't translate well in the studio.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:30 PM   #13
redbreegull

He has shelved shit tons of songs over the years which have sounded great live. Have you ever even listened to Zwan?

Old 09-06-2018, 11:34 PM   #14
slayed23
Ownz

If you don't care, then I would think you wouldn't listen to it when it comes out.

We all know that everyone of you will though.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:41 PM   #15
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

I care.

Just want to see how bad it's gonna be.

Why can't Billy just surprise release the entire artist like 99.9% of other musicians do in 2018? That would make (even a bad release) like 100x more enjoyable.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:27 AM   #16
Shallowed
Braindead

Yeah man I don't give a shit about the new music either. Let's talk about it.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:00 AM   #17
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

It’s just sitting there.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:16 AM   #18
pumpkins
Ownz

#Metoo (ghosts)

Old 09-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #19
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

I may be in the minority on this but I wish Billy would release an experimental album with nothing but 7 to 15 minute epics. I feel like a lot of the best material he's written in recent years has been in this category (Stellar, Gossamer, United States... even Oceania has its moments). I also feel like going this route would gain him some of the respect from the media that he so obviously still craves. Give up trying to write catchy radio earworms. Put out some really interesting material that we can really sink our teeth into. I know we may never get Hummer or Starla again but I feel like he still has the ability to (maybe) write some really good longform material.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #20
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

With regards to boxsets etc, I'm I guess interested in rarities, but really only full band stuff rather than acoustic demos.

I'm interested in Machina as I'd like to hear a remix of the M1 and then a proper hifi mix of M2 (and hopefully these won't be brickwalled, but probably will).

Zwan stuff, meh, if it was good quality live stuff like Spilled Milk and interest then sure. I do remember hearing the initial live bootlegs and being impressed.

I'd be interested in studio footage of Gish / SD / MCIS recording (and Adore if it exists).

As for new new stuff, sure. Stick it on iTunes and I'll check it out, but only really in the hopes that it sounds like something I like.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #21
redbreegull

Chicago Songs/Chicago Kid is what I want the most. It's what Billy was doing when I first got into SP and I've been waiting since. I also want to hear Machina reissue, Zwan stuff, and other outtakes, rarities etc from the archives. I would love more live audio/video from the classic days as well. Metro DVD would be cool but its importance has been tarnished at this point

Totally new music will be fascinating to listen to at least once even if it's as bad as Solara

Things I really don't care about are reissues of SP2 albums and any other material from Zeitgeist forward. I'm a sucker and will listen to anything once, but the mere idea of listening to a remastered Zeitgeist or Teargarden outtakes is mentally fatiguing in that it will just cause me to retread a long-ago sustained period of serious disappointment

Old 09-07-2018, 12:12 PM   #22
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
He has shelved shit tons of songs over the years which have sounded great live. Have you ever even listened to Zwan?
There are some decent songs from Zwan live but did he record them well in the studio? Who knows. If he did you'd think they'd have turned up by now. And whilst the live recordings from back in the day were nice, have they aged well? I'm not that bothered about them now.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:27 PM   #23
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Chicago Songs/Chicago Kid is what I want the most. It's what Billy was doing when I first got into SP and I've been waiting since. I also want to hear Machina reissue, Zwan stuff, and other outtakes, rarities etc from the archives. I would love more live audio/video from the classic days as well. Metro DVD would be cool but its importance has been tarnished at this point

Totally new music will be fascinating to listen to at least once even if it's as bad as Solara

Things I really don't care about are reissues of SP2 albums and any other material from Zeitgeist forward. I'm a sucker and will listen to anything once, but the mere idea of listening to a remastered Zeitgeist or Teargarden outtakes is mentally fatiguing in that it will just cause me to retread a long-ago sustained period of serious disappointment
Yeah, the only Zeitgeist era song I'd be interested in now would be a studio version of Gossamer, but apparently that doesn't exist so I guess the live version with Uli Jon Roth will have to suffice (and it slays so that's fine, I guess).

But what is the Chicago Kid thing everyone keeps mentioning? Somehow I missed that, whatever it is.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #24
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

I'm not gonna lie, I'm excited to hear the re-issue of Zeitgeist if only to hear how the alleged remix they're doing for it treats the songs. and having all the outtakes (aka most of the best songs of that era) on one disc would be cool as well. Unless they decided to go w/ the "Best Buy" silver disc sequencing for the main album

I mean if it sucks it sucks but I never expected them to actually do a full-on remix of the thing, even if (or maybe because) that's what the fans have consistently asked for in regards to that album

Old 09-07-2018, 01:40 PM   #25
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
But what is the Chicago Kid thing everyone keeps mentioning? Somehow I missed that, whatever it is.
In 2003 or 2004 Corgan played a show in Chicago featuring a whole bunch of Chicago-themed acoustic songs plus some reworked Djali Zwan numbers and it was really, really good. On the poetry tour he played a lot of this stuff as well. He kept saying it would be released and it just never was, and instead we got the completely different TFE the year after that. Maybe someone can link to the video, I remember there were all these props onstage like a wooden ship

Old 09-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #26
Alice
Minion of Satan

Someone please post the colander hat. I can't find it

Old 09-07-2018, 02:04 PM   #27
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
In 2003 or 2004 Corgan played a show in Chicago featuring a whole bunch of Chicago-themed acoustic songs plus some reworked Djali Zwan numbers and it was really, really good. On the poetry tour he played a lot of this stuff as well. He kept saying it would be released and it just never was, and instead we got the completely different TFE the year after that. Maybe someone can link to the video, I remember there were all these props onstage like a wooden ship
Ah, thanks. I'll have to try and find it.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:04 PM   #28
Alice
Minion of Satan

Old 09-07-2018, 02:06 PM   #29
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

I remember driving 3 hours to go to Chicago to wait in line for that show. And then they drew numbers on our hands in front of the Metro and only took like 100 of the fans. I was five people too late. I have never forgiven Billy, which is why I post here.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:10 PM   #30
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post

Thanks!