Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #391
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I don't want you to get one of your hipster buddies to lay down some wicked shit in an attempt to belittle me
yeah, if there's one thing hipsters are known for it's their fondness for face-melting solos

Old 09-12-2019, 10:56 AM   #392
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

also, fuzz, i don't know what they told you when they locked you in here, but even though this is technically the SP/Corgan side of the tracks, you don't really have to compare every single discussed non-SP release with Corgan's from the past two decades.

i mean, if it "gets you off" then fine, i'm just saying, the contracts were fake!

Old 09-12-2019, 10:36 PM   #393
fuzzyroes
Banned

Fantano's verdict is in, he loves the new Weezer!

Old 09-12-2019, 10:54 PM   #394
fuzzyroes
Banned

Been a great year for music. Milencollins new critically acclaimed album is fucking amazing too. Haven't been so stoked listening to music like this for years

Feels good to have that feeling back in my soul.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:18 AM   #395
bright_doom
Ownz

Quote:
Fantano's verdict is in, he loves the new Weezer!

This piece of needle dropping shit said that CDs were obselete/irrelevant and had no cultural impact and would never have a nostalgia comeback moment because d I g I t a l zeros and ones, as if that was the only purpose of the compact disc. Remember how you all bought Mellon Collie and Siamese dream originally and may have fond memories? Irrelevant because zero and ones.

2:55 mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLVmxL0WIPc

Old 09-13-2019, 08:57 AM   #396
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright_doom View Post
This piece of needle dropping shit said that CDs were obselete/irrelevant and had no cultural impact and would never have a nostalgia comeback moment because d I g I t a l zeros and ones, as if that was the only purpose of the compact disc. Remember how you all bought Mellon Collie and Siamese dream originally and may have fond memories? Irrelevant because zero and ones.

2:55 mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLVmxL0WIPc
As much as I like C.D.'s, he's kind of right. I mean, I can't imagine going to the store and paying 15 dollars for a new Weezer C.D. when I can just download it in 20 seconds. And nowadays everyone is glued to their smart-phones and a lot of new computers don't even have a CD-drive built in. It's all about the streaming for the Zoomers... And really, it's hard to blame em.

C.D's are a good format for supporting local and smaller acts though.

With that said, I should mention that I buy more C.D's than ever, only because since C.D's are becoming obsolete, all the 80's, 90's and early 00's shit is being unloaded at thrift stores all the time, so I usually drop like 15 dollars for 20 C.D's. It's dope. On the other end of the spectrum, I was at "Sunrise Music" the other day looking at some C.D's and they had shit like Super Unknown for 17.99, I mean get real. No way music stores are gonna stay afloat with prices like that in 2019.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 09-13-2019 at 09:02 AM.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #397
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
It really does. Lord knows Weezer puts out some crap, but they come out with so much content that there's always enough meat on the bone for a fan to stay interested... Compare that to Corgan where every lackluster release takes an eternity and there's no surprise why The Pumpkins are relegated to oldies status while Weezer always maintains an air of relevancy. Say what one will about Rivers, but he genuinely still seems artistically curious whereas it feels like Corgan is begrudgingly making content in order to pay the bills.
I love Weezer, and really thought Everything Will Be Alright in the End and White Album were great returns to form. Didn't dig Pacific Daydreams too much, but know people who love it. Black Album was "meh," but "Don't Knock the Hustle" was catchy. That being said, the biggest reason Weezer has an "air of relevancy" these last couple of years has been because they covered an Africa song based on a Twitter request. Rivers seems like he's getting into middle age much better than Corgan, and actually seems to be enjoy being in Weezer now, but I would hardly say they're doing substantially better business or becoming more culturally relevant than Smashing Pumpkins.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:56 PM   #398
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

C.D.'s

Old 09-13-2019, 09:49 PM   #399
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
I love Weezer, and really thought Everything Will Be Alright in the End and White Album were great returns to form. Didn't dig Pacific Daydreams too much, but know people who love it. Black Album was "meh," but "Don't Knock the Hustle" was catchy. That being said, the biggest reason Weezer has an "air of relevancy" these last couple of years has been because they covered an Africa song based on a Twitter request. Rivers seems like he's getting into middle age much better than Corgan, and actually seems to be enjoy being in Weezer now, but I would hardly say they're doing substantially better business or becoming more culturally relevant than Smashing Pumpkins.
PD and Black definitely weren't as good as the previous 2 albums, but they're not nearly as bad as some fans make em out to be. I'd say about half of each album was pretty good, which is definitely a better ratio than most of these legacy acts are producing.

I disagree with your assessment about cultural relevancy though. When was the last time Pumpkins had a radio hit? Perfect? I know they had some minor hits after, but they didn't really last, compare that to Weezer and there's no comparison. It's true that with hardcore music fans, Pumpkins might be more highly revered, but that's almost entirely on the back of SD and MCIS. Whereas Weezer faces a similar phenomenon with Blue and Pinkerton, the difference is they still pumped out lots of big radio hits after while the Pumpkins were relegated to obscurity.

One of the main differences is that Rivers has always been able to tap into that old magic whereas with Billy it's always like "he could sing like he used to if he wanted to, but he chooses the new singing style" or "he could play great guitar if he wanted to, he just chooses not to"... So there's certainly a weird disconnect

Old 09-13-2019, 11:29 PM   #400
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

so when are you gonna drop your track

Old 09-14-2019, 01:42 AM   #401
myosis
Minion of Satan

CDs

Old 09-14-2019, 03:20 AM   #402
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post

Old 09-14-2019, 03:20 AM   #403
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
CDs
Smart-Phones

Old 09-14-2019, 07:03 AM   #404
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
C.D.'s
C.D's.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:08 AM   #405
fuzzyroes
Banned

Man, I fucking love Rivers, how cool is this?

Old 09-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #406
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Been pretty busy, but I'm bracing a very dreary fall and winter as I'm from the Pacific Northwest so I'll have lots of time for nerd stuff like playing rock star with Cool-Edit

If you wanna get a little taste of my chops, I like this solo I did for this track. I even do a little tapping pull-off thing near the end. One of my personal faves.

You can fast forward to the 3:30 mark to hear it. I do another pretty bitching solo during the outro at the 4:10 mark too. Keep in mind this was about 13 years ago, so I'm way better now

Old 09-14-2019, 09:22 AM   #407
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
C.D's.
Bram, you're acting like a gamma, stop it

Old 09-15-2019, 04:42 AM   #408
fuzzyroes
Banned

Here's a good piece that I co-wrote.. Features a lot of my really inspired lead guitar work/solos

Guys, honestly, listen to this.... It's way better than anything from "Shiny and Oh So Bright"...

This is me putting the money where my mouth is... I can rip Billy to shreds because I've actually made better music.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 09-15-2019 at 05:00 AM.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:21 AM   #409
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

this guy

Old 09-15-2019, 06:31 AM   #410
FoolofaTook

Old 09-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #411
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Here's a good piece that I co-wrote.. Features a lot of my really inspired lead guitar work/solos

Guys, honestly, listen to this.... It's way better than anything from "Shiny and Oh So Bright"...

This is me putting the money where my mouth is... I can rip Billy to shreds because I've actually made better music.
I'm not saying your guitar playing is bad. But you're delusional. No offense.

Old 09-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #412
redbreegull

I have a new idea. Let's just both do the Bury Me solo and let the people decide

Old 09-16-2019, 03:05 AM   #413
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Feels good to have that feeling back in my soul.
The feeling of Millencolin...?

Christ, you're lost.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:06 AM   #414
buzzard
Minion of Satan

What was so amazing about being thirteen that you just decided to stay there?

Old 09-16-2019, 06:37 AM   #415
FoolofaTook

hey at least he got to thirteen...

Old 09-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #416
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

even at 13 i wasn't messing with Millencolin & NOFX

i listened to real music, like Limp Bizkit & blink-182

Old 09-16-2019, 10:27 PM   #417
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
The feeling of Millencolin...?

Christ, you're lost.
They're an excellent studio band. They do a great job at mixing punk/grunge/pop with fantastic harmonies and great guitar melodies. They're one of my favorite groups of the era.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:33 PM   #418
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
I have a new idea. Let's just both do the Bury Me solo and let the people decide
Never learned it.

How about the Stairway solo?

Old 09-17-2019, 05:48 PM   #419
redbreegull

Quote:
Never learned it.

How about the Stairway solo?
Great opportunity for you to improve your chops then. I don't know it either. Sounds like a fair competition.

ps I'm not a fucking lunch hour classic rock block on fm radio, I will not play the solo to stairway to fucking heaven

Old 09-17-2019, 05:55 PM   #420
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

so you think you're better than He Who Is Bald But Also Holy?