Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #61
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Default Modified 1988 Fender AVRI '57 Reissue Stratocaster #2" Black/Red with Stars

http://i64.tinypic.com/adc46x.jpg

Your offer on the #2 Stratocaster:

Description

This is the number two guitar from the Siamese Dream/Mellon Collie... era. Virtually all of the clean guitar sounds and all the solos on those albums were done with this guitar. So the intro of “Today,” the “Cherub Rock” solo – that is all this guitar.

There were two primary guitars for those albums. The number one is referred to as the Bat Strat, which you can see in videos, but this one was equally important having graced not only the album tracks, but also stages around the world.

Appraising this guitar's "condition" in the traditional sense seems like a fool's errand. Given its place in rock history, it's fair to say that no one is going to be splitting hairs over the finish, the stickers, or the non-original parts. If you're curious, this guitar started its life as a 1988 '57 AVRI Strat (according to the neck date) with a metallic candy apple red finish and white pickguard. At some point it was spray painted black and the pickguard was painted red, though the original finish has worn through in places and the pickguard paint has mostly been picked away. There are thirteen star stickers and six dot stickers on the front, along with a faded "Organic" sticker and an iridescent pig sticker on the headstock.

The original pickups have been swapped out for Lace Sensors. The original bridge saddles have been swapped out for graphite versions, and the string tree has been traded for a roller-type tree. It should be noted that, although Corgan's later signature Strat models were hardtail, this historic Strat that defined him as a guitar hero had a traditional vibrato bridge, with all five springs left in place. The backplate has been removed and discarded.

This is without question one of the nicest playing Strats you'll ever lay hands on. It is road-tested and settled in, with hundreds of hours of intense playing that shaped its resonance and character. Despite the spray paint finish (which may feel a bit sticky in humid conditions), the neck and playability are incredibly comfortable. Everything plays as it did when Corgan last took it out on tour. As for the sound, well...you wouldn't be looking at this guitar if you didn't already know what it sounded like. If you need a reminder, stop what you're doing and listen to the Siamese Dream LP right now.

This guitar ships in a vintage-type Fender hardshell case, with the original pickups included. Also in the case you'll find an All Access Pass from the June 9, 1991 Underworld event.

Weight: 8.2 lbs. (3.7 kg)

http://i66.tinypic.com/2ppl9nr.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/1zy7bya.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/15ixeg.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/21aeovd.jpg

Old 07-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #62
Cool As Ice Cream

Default Les Paul Special with Jim Morrison Sticker

http://i66.tinypic.com/289y1i1.jpg

Your offer on the Les Paul Special:

Description

This was the main guitar of a trio of similar Les Pauls used during the Machina era. This specific guitar is the #1 for both recording that album, as well as on tour. Two other Les Paul Specials from this era (distinguished by different stickers) will be available for sale in August 2017 for a fixed price.

So tracks like the opener, “Everlasting Gaze,” and any other track on the album with a big, heavy sound (“Heavy Metal Machine,” “The Imploding Voice”) was made with this guitar. It was the #1 guitar choice live on the subsequent tours after the release as well.

You'll first notice the missing pickup selector switch, something common to all of Corgan's LP Specials. He had the neck pickup bypassed and the switch removed on all of them. This was is distinguished by a sticker of Jim Morrison. This guitar also has a handful of nasty gashes the dug into the wood on the side of the body near the pickguard. Other than that, it has minimal wear, with pickguard scratches, pickup casing rub, and hardware that has lost its luster.

The bridge pickup sounds great, with working electronics. The neck pickup, as noted, has been intentionally bypassed and the pickup selector switch removed. The fingerboard plays cleanly in all positions.

This guitar will ship in its original Gibson hardshell case.

Weight: 8.4 lbs. (3.8 kg)

http://i64.tinypic.com/5mhlz8.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/34s0bp2.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/2d2d8is.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/5mwqoj.jpg

Old 07-20-2017, 12:43 PM   #63
Cool As Ice Cream

Default Alesis SR-16 Drum Machine

http://i63.tinypic.com/67ty69.jpg

Your offer on the Alesis SR-16:

Description

This Alesis SR-16 was the drum machine used on “Mellon Collie…” Most notably, this exact unit composed and played the drum sample on the Smashing Pumpkins’ highest charting hit, “1979.” You can hear the drum sample loud and clear in the center channel with acoustic drums played by Jimmy Chamberlin in the surrounding mix.

Setting aside the provenance of this particular unit, the SR-16 is a stereo drum machine that’s super-easy to program. The sounds are clean and clear with pads that are responsive to dynamics.

This SR-16 is a small and compact unit, simple on the face, but created one of the biggest and farthest reaching songs in the Pumpkins’ career and a song that helped define a generation of music fans across the globe.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:44 PM   #64
Cool As Ice Cream

Default Alesis HR-16 Drum Machine

http://i67.tinypic.com/20iz8nt.jpg

Your offer on the Alesis HR-16:

Description

This Alesis HR-16 drum machine was used on many early Smashing Pumpkins demos, and pre-dates Jimmy Chamberlin joining the band in 1988. So in that way, this humble HR-16 was the first Smashing Pumpkins drummer, lending it’s sequenced beats to song ideas Corgan was composing in a duo with James Iha, and later, the first performances of the Pumkins with Corgan, Iha, and D'arcy Wretzky on bass.

The HR–16 stormed the drum machine world just as Alesis’s digital XT Reverb had done with outboard gear a few years earlier. This is all thanks to Alesis founder, Keith Barr, who was determined to carve out a niche making expensive–sounding products in no–frills packages. This is the same Keith Barr who co–founded MXR.

For the everyday musicians who didn’t want their machines to sound so machine-like, the HR–16 was magic.

To read more about the HR-16, check out this recent article: https://reverb.com/news/alesis-hr-16...ine-of-the-80s

Old 07-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #65
Cool As Ice Cream

Default Marshall JMP-1 Preamps (Pair)

http://i64.tinypic.com/33dcqcx.jpg

Your offer on the Marshall JMP-1s:

Description

This pair Marshall JMP-1 preamps is the core of the “Mellon Collie…” sound. These two particular units were used on the entirety of that album and on every subsequent tour as the main preamps driving Billy’s Mesa Boogie Strategy 500 Stereo Power amp — a deafening rig, to say the least. That means that “Bullet With Butterfly Wings,” “1979,” “Tonight, Tonight,” and every other hit single, track, and show was shaped by this stereo set of preamps.

Of the two units shown, note that the main unit used is the one with the marking and tape residue by the power switch. This unit was also used on Siamese Dream for a few overdubs and was the main guitar sound for the song “Silverfuck.”

This listing is for two units sold as a pair to the highest bidder.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:46 PM   #66
Cool As Ice Cream

Default ADA MP-1 Preamps (Pair)

http://i66.tinypic.com/2v2zhv5.jpg

Your offer on the ADA MP-1s:

Description

This pair of ADA MP-1 rackmount preamps was used to record and tour on "Gish." These units were in Billy’s rig prior to switching to the Marshall JMP-1 preamps which are also for sale in the Private Sale.

One unit has a marking by the STORE button. This would have been the main unit used with the other as a backup. Both ship together as a pair to the highest bidder.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #67
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

had an impulse to try to buy one of the guitars. and then thought about it for a few minutes. realized i wouldn't actually want it. i'm not really going to play it, i hardly play the guitars i have. what does that leave then, putting it "on display" or "bragging" to someone that you have it? no thank you

Old 07-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #68
slunken
Virgo

Same here. Was gonna but everything but decided to let someone else have a shot at it.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:50 PM   #69
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

i bet the star strat goes for 20-25K

some collector will pay for it and put it on display.

wonder what it would go for if BoBo didn't totally fuck SP legacy.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #70
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
had an impulse to try to buy one of the guitars. and then thought about it for a few minutes. realized i wouldn't actually want it. i'm not really going to play it, i hardly play the guitars i have. what does that leave then, putting it "on display" or "bragging" to someone that you have it? no thank you
no offense but seems like something someone of your stature, in your sector would do

i think you should do it

Old 07-20-2017, 11:16 PM   #71
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wounded View Post
i bet the star strat goes for 20-25K

some collector will pay for it and put it on display.

wonder what it would go for if BoBo didn't totally fuck SP legacy.
the recent albums being trash doesn't change the fact that he used that guitar for the today intro and cherub rock solo

Old 07-21-2017, 06:07 PM   #72
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
the recent albums being trash doesn't change the fact that he used that guitar for the today intro and cherub rock solo

What's interesting is that yeah, it played the intro to Today, solo for Cherub Rock, but, it also played "every clean part" of Siamese Dream. That's kind of... amazing. I would assume that includes his part of Soma, the Hummer outro, the middle space part of Geek USA, possibly part of the intro for Mayonaise, all of Luna...

If I had the money, I'd be all in for this. But I don't, so, I'm content. I just hope it goes to someone who really appreciates it.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:19 PM   #73
Ram27
dumb

Definitely.

It's annoying that all the big stuff from the JC auction were probably just bought by rich collector fucks. If you're a big enough fan of Jimmy and the Pumpkins to spend 15k on that Mellon Collie kit, at least set it up and demo it on youtube or write a blog post or something.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:46 PM   #74
wHATcOLOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
no offense but seems like something someone of your stature, in your sector would do

i think you should do it
haha! one way to interpret this would be "yes, if you're not going to play the guitar often, getting it to show it off or boast is a douchey thing to do.. but it seems like something you would do, so go ahead and do it, ya douche"

but no offense taken. my love for the pumpkins is not as absolute nor as important to me as it was when i was younger, and i don't enjoy collecting things for the sake of collecting them. i'm good. but i do hope these things make some people really happy

Old 07-21-2017, 10:41 PM   #75
slunken
Virgo

i hope some asshole buys it and his dumb kid destroys it or sells it without provenance

Old 07-22-2017, 02:33 AM   #76
wHATcOLOR

That would also be cool

Old 07-22-2017, 04:10 AM   #77
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
i hope some asshole buys it and his dumb kid destroys it or sells it without provenance
1fatslug?
i don't give a shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

Old 07-22-2017, 01:24 PM   #78
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
1fatslug?
i don't give a shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!
those videos are long deleted, sadly.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:32 PM   #79
Cool As Ice Cream

i believe i've got them downloaded somewhere.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:02 PM   #80
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 07-22-2017, 08:06 PM   #81
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
i believe i've got them downloaded somewhere.
B&P????

Old 07-22-2017, 08:27 PM   #82
Cool As Ice Cream

i can't find them immediately, but they must be somewhere. i'll make it happen.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:27 PM   #83
he/she/it
Ownz

Quote:

Looks like Billy keeps the middle pickup on that guitar a bit higher than he does on his other lace sensor strats. He rides all of his strat pickups fairly low, though.

http://i.imgur.com/MfDlPXF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sSeHHfQ.jpg

Last edited by he/she/it : 07-22-2017 at 11:09 PM.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:42 PM   #84
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
oh man I came here to post this

Old 07-24-2017, 10:53 AM   #85
Cool As Ice Cream

it would be a dream come true to have a piece from wpc but normal people, we just wont get a shot. still love ya buddy. never forget listenin to sabotage with you.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:53 AM   #86
Cool As Ice Cream

I was hoping to find a guitar pick. I'd totally throw 5 big ones at that. With shipping and handling included. Yeah, I'm broke

Old 07-24-2017, 10:53 AM   #87
Cool As Ice Cream

"Despite all my wage I still can't afford a new bass"

Old 08-01-2017, 05:49 PM   #88
Cool As Ice Cream

more from reverb:
Quote:
Hi everyone.

Thanks for submitting your offers on the first round of this silent auction. We're going to open it up to another round.

Here are the current highest offers, most of which have two or more equal offers:
  • #2 Stratocaster
    Highest offer (3) $35,000
  • Machina Les Paul Special
    Highest offer (2) $10,500
  • Alesis SR-16 (Mellon Collie Drum Machine)
    Highest offer: $9,000
  • Alesis HR-16 (original SP drummer)
    Highest offer: $2,000
  • Marshall JMP-1s (Siamese Dream Preamps)
    Highest offer (2): $7,250
  • ADA MP-1s (Gish Preamps)
    Highest offer (2): $3,000

If you'd like to adjust your offer or make a new offer, please visit this link (same as before).

Again, all other inventory will be available for sale at fixed price with offers enabled on August 16. We will not be taking offer requests on any piece that isn't in this batch of six.

Best regards,

Reverb Artist Collections

Old 08-01-2017, 06:54 PM   #89
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
it would be a dream come true to have a piece from wpc but normal people, we just wont get a shot. still love ya buddy. never forget listenin to sabotage with you.
Dude, you could probably sell some of your duplicate vinyl and make a killing and then have the spare cash to buy one of the pieces.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:57 PM   #90
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
more from reverb:
Damn... some of these items aren't going for as much as I would have expected. I'd at least think that the SD Strat would be worth 50 K to someone.