Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #1
fuzzyroes
Banned

Default The Oceania Arena Tour debacle thread

Now that some times passed it's quite comical to think back about the Oceania Tour.

Where in the world did Billy get the idea that he could sell out arenas by playing his new album in it's entirety? The only selling point that the SP brand has is their mid-90's work. Hell, they wouldn't have had a chance at selling out those kind of venues even if they played Siamese Dream front to back with the lineup that was on tour.

I've read theories that Billy overreacted to the initial positive reviews for the album but lets face it, The reviews weren't even that great. Positive, sure. But I recall the vibe from critics being more like " hey, Billy Corgan actually put out something that isn't half awful."

Anyhow, it was just a perfect showcase of Billy's delusion. The record didn't even have any radio play for crying out loud (you need that kind of exposure if you're gonna try to sell out arenas on the back of a new album)

Perhaps the debacle was a blessing in disguise, because had it been a success, we'd still have Mike and Nicole in the "band".

Old 06-26-2017, 08:58 PM   #2
fuzzyroes
Banned

Even if SP does reunite, promoters are gonna be nervous about having SP playing arenas after that massive failure. That's why I don't think anything but a full reunion will fly. I don't think a BC/JC/JI reunion sells out arenas... Unless they do a Siamese Dream tour or something.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:01 PM   #3
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonoo View Post
k. this has already been discussed a million times before. who gives a shit anymore
It's relative to the contracts regarding SP ever playing arenas in North America again. The massive failure could really contribute to a lack of will regarding any kind of promoters wanting to get behind a reunion tour.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:18 PM   #4
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Even if SP does reunite, promoters are gonna be nervous about having SP playing arenas after that massive failure. That's why I don't think anything but a full reunion will fly. I don't think a BC/JC/JI reunion sells out arenas... Unless they do a Siamese Dream tour or something.
Even then, I'm not entirely sure I'd want to go to that cause Corgan's vocals are so bad now they ruin songs

Old 06-27-2017, 03:06 AM   #5
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Highlight of that tour was this totally radical abstract poster:

Just such a mess. I think I sold mine on ebay for like $9 and was just glad to not have it around and have a Chipotle burrito or something instead.

Remember how big of a deal they made about the ORB thing? It was kind of a neat visual, sure... but it was like paragraph two of the press release.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:55 AM   #6
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel View Post
it's not like he did a world tour or anything. this seems like a stupid thread...it's as if the OP just wants to use the internet to complain because he/she has nothing better to do.
great m e t a commentary!

Old 06-27-2017, 08:43 AM   #7
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

And you sure are a weasel.

What a weasel!

Old 06-27-2017, 10:18 AM   #8
LaBelle
Socialphobic

It's a censored word.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #9
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

The orb was stupid looking and looked like something from a Pink Floyd tour in 1974 and the set was garbage and billy was fat as fuck

Old 06-27-2017, 12:08 PM   #10
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

those damn gen boarders.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #11
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

How was this five years ago

Also I want to point out that even though Billy's voice is weird and he does dumb shit with it now, he will soon approach the point where he starts to lose the ability to sing well at all.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:14 PM   #12
bright_doom
Ownz

I thought that they chose to play the arenas purely to accommodate for the orb.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:26 PM   #13
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

I got to see them play at a tiny country venue in tulsa because of that tour. So i'm cool with it. I didn't care that Byrne sucked, rest of the band was in a groove.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:49 PM   #14
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

I cant eat and watch the tour video at the same time, because Bills shirt is way too small and his ass crack is hanging out the whole show. wtf.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:12 PM   #15
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Now that some times passed it's quite comical to think back about the Oceania Tour.

Where in the world did Billy get the idea that he could sell out arenas by playing his new album in it's entirety? The only selling point that the SP brand has is their mid-90's work. Hell, they wouldn't have had a chance at selling out those kind of venues even if they played Siamese Dream front to back with the lineup that was on tour.

I've read theories that Billy overreacted to the initial positive reviews for the album but lets face it, The reviews weren't even that great. Positive, sure. But I recall the vibe from critics being more like " hey, Billy Corgan actually put out something that isn't half awful."

Anyhow, it was just a perfect showcase of Billy's delusion. The record didn't even have any radio play for crying out loud (you need that kind of exposure if you're gonna try to sell out arenas on the back of a new album)

Perhaps the debacle was a blessing in disguise, because had it been a success, we'd still have Mike and Nicole in the "band".
It is happy to see your posting. Yes really informative points. I will tell this information again to my friend thank you?

Old 06-27-2017, 10:38 PM   #16
fuzzyroes
Banned

You're welcome buddy. Glad you enjoyed my analysis.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #17
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel View Post
thanks, took. appreciate it.

what?

you're right, jj. i don't know how they've got away with it all this time.
what?

Old 06-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #18
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

cool story

Old 06-28-2017, 12:46 PM   #19
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

thanks

Old 06-29-2017, 03:20 AM   #20
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Angry

for your information, asshole, it's only one j. the second one is just the echo.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:38 PM   #21
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Arrow

mothers douchebag asshole echoes, ur.