Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
Pretzel Logic
Apocalyptic Poster

Default A Perfect Circle

I can't get enough of these guys. I hate Tool but I love Keenan as their singer. Too bad they are pretty much done.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
Mablak
Minion of Satan

Location: Well, if it isn't my old friend, Mr. McGreg, with a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg!

Old 06-16-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
mirrar
Braindead

Thumbs up

mer de noms came out when i was sixteen. it was my perfect lay on your floor feeling alienated woe is me pale moon album.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:25 PM   #4
spring
die 'til it doesn't hurt

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrar
mer de noms came out when i was sixteen. it was my perfect lay on your floor feeling alienated woe is me pale moon album.

i remember the first time i heard 3 Libras. you described the mood perfectly

Old 06-16-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

i thought about this album today. it is still in my record collection. i am above it.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:49 PM   #6
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

they were cool in show. but i dont really listen to em these days. nothin wrong with em though.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:49 PM   #7
mirrar
Braindead

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring
i remember the first time i heard 3 Libras. you described the mood perfectly
me and chris at one point were both at our respective houses, at the same time-ish, playing 3 libras laying on the floor looking at the full moon being sad. and we didn't know until after.

maynard is one of the few singers i will sing along with loudly.

the others being tori, regina, and karen o

Old 06-17-2007, 12:25 AM   #8
TheMilstead
Minion of Satan

Weird, I just brought that album back into one of my playlists the other day. It's so great. 13th Step is awesome, too.

I can't say I really care for Emotive, though...or Tool for that matter.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:08 AM   #9
Boots Electric
Demi-God

Mer De Noms is an awesome album. I can listen to just about every song on it. 13th Step was decent, but there's way too many filler tracks. Emotive is one of the worst albums ever released.

APC was originally supposed to have a female singer. Now that Maynard is apparently finished with them, I wouldn't be surprised of Howerdel took the band in that direction if/when he decides to revive it again.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:19 AM   #10
Shapan
Socialphobic

ive said this quite a few times on here but ive always preferred APC to tool. mer de noms and 13th step are both great albums. maynard's voice is more suited for an accessible band like APC than it is for a rougher band like tool.

i pretend that emotive doesnt exist.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:23 AM   #11
Gossamer
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: We got it like three quarters of the way in whilst on vacation last week. Minor success. Unfortunately she is leaving for England in a couple of days.

Too much Tool hate in this thread.

Both are great imo.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:30 AM   #12
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

both are shit imo

Old 06-17-2007, 01:31 AM   #13
redbull
Immortal

Tool sux

Old 06-17-2007, 02:13 AM   #14
spring
die 'til it doesn't hurt

Red face indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrar
me and chris at one point were both at our respective houses, at the same time-ish, playing 3 libras laying on the floor looking at the full moon being sad. and we didn't know until after.

maynard is one of the few singers i will sing along with loudly.

the others being tori, regina, and karen o

well, once they invent that time machine, i think it would be really cool to go back and do that again

i sing along with tori too

Old 06-17-2007, 02:54 AM   #15
redbull
Immortal

TOL SUX

Old 06-17-2007, 08:11 AM   #16
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

i've never liked them much. first album is ok.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:32 AM   #17
talk show host
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: I thought using a condom was assumed but like, even if you didn't use one how would putting a vegetable in your pussy cause some sort of infection? Like, you can fucking EAT IT, but you can't put it in your fucking vagina and move it around a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapan
ive said this quite a few times on here but ive always preferred APC to tool. mer de noms and 13th step are both great albums. maynard's voice is more suited for an accessible band like APC than it is for a rougher band like tool.

i pretend that emotive doesnt exist.
I really don't get this. I think musically Tool is much much stronger and I also think Maynard's voice fits Tool's music really well. I do agree that he fit APC well too though.

I remember loving Mer De Noms so much when i first heard it. Mirrar and co are right, it was definitely an album for acertain time of your life.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:38 AM   #18
celluloid_love
Minion of Satan

i hate pretzel logic because he reminds me of myself when i was 11

Old 06-17-2007, 09:26 AM   #19
Eiki

i just listened to mer de noms all the way through for the first time in forever. i love the first half of it but the second half just seems to drag on.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #20
In-Valid
Ownz

Really enjoyed "Mer de Noms". The intro to "3 Libras" is great (and fun to play) and Maynard / Billy & Josh's work on the album are fantastic and Paz had not yet become the caricature she was in Zwan. Mer de Noms era they were also a really good live band (including outshining the Smashing Pumpkins 'farewell' at Summersault Barrie). "Brena" is probably my favourite track on that album.

Thirteenth Step was decent but I haven't gone back to it since the album's release. I recall Pet having a pretty good 'rock riff' in the chorus using the a variation of the Hendrix Chord.

I started losing interest in them after seeing the new lineup (with Iha & Twiggy) put on one of the worst shows I have ever seen then completely dismissed them once I heard the "Imagine" cover.

On a sidenote: Is James Iha even an official member of apc ? His myspace says so but...I guess we'll see if apc ever puts out another album.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:11 AM   #21
Pretzel Logic
Apocalyptic Poster

what's his myspace link?

Old 06-17-2007, 05:41 PM   #22
Eulogy
huh

i like apc and tool

tool's better though. whoever said maynard's voice doesn't fit tool is wrong.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:05 PM   #23
Shapan
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk show host
I really don't get this. I think musically Tool is much much stronger and I also think Maynard's voice fits Tool's music really well. I do agree that he fit APC well too though.

I remember loving Mer De Noms so much when i first heard it. Mirrar and co are right, it was definitely an album for acertain time of your life.
musically tool may be stronger, i mean i think every person in that band is great with their instruments, especially the drummer. but as far as making accessible melodic music, apc has an advantage, and thats probably why i prefer them. by saying maynard may be more suited i meant that you can really see the versatility in his voice with a song like 3 libras and brena etc. with tool, it feels more like nonstop aggression, which he can also do, but sometimes i get tired of. tool is more of a metal band and apc is more of alternative poppy kind of stuff, and i prefer the latter.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:20 PM   #24
theFoulLasagna
Demi-God

the new tool stuff is pretty crappy. It sounds more like Godsmack than tool. Just sitting on one note playing it with different pick attacks and mutes. it's SO uncreative. just my 2 cents.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:56 PM   #25
Testicle-Soldie
Pledge

13th step I loved.... mer de noms was awesome as well but like most of you said emotive was just too rushed(?)
Maynard is done with APC? just wonderin if thats true ? is there a link?

Tool is great.. listen to lateralus with a bong hit between every song... parabol->ticks&leeches->lateralus... orgasmic. triads is awesome too....

faiip de oiad?

Old 06-19-2007, 03:01 PM   #26
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by theFoulLasagna
the new tool stuff is pretty crappy. It sounds more like Godsmack than tool. Just sitting on one note playing it with different pick attacks and mutes. it's SO uncreative. just my 2 cents.
what the fuck?

yeah wings for marie has godsmack written all over it

Old 06-19-2007, 03:53 PM   #27
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
a perfect circle is like tool for your little sister.
hah.

Mer de Noms is a great example of how a project can have a momentum where everything seems to fall in place for a great album. The live shows with Paz also seemed to have a genuine band energy...the 2nd line-up for the 13th step tour, the momentum was long gone and the show I saw had all the feeling of a credit card swipe.

but even when APC was on top of their game for live shows it was NOWHERE NEAR the level of energy Tool even still has a live act. Not even close.

Probably cause Tool is a band. APC was a project.