Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
Fattening Ass
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Talking I have an interview next monday

For an Area Manager position in Vans northern california region. Im psyched and excited about it--this is a big promotion opportunity. Thing is, I haven't been through an interview in over 8 years and I am kinda nervous about it. I have to go through four people, in what I assume to be four separate interviews. It might even be a group interview, which if so, the pressure of that could be a bit intimidating. Does anyone have any interview tips they could share? I need to make sure i shine.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #2
suncrashesdown
Apocalyptic Poster

Make sure you talk about shoes

Old 02-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
beef curtains
Immortal

Do you still have a ponytail Gilly?

Uum... let me think of a serious response too...

Old 02-11-2008, 11:02 PM   #4
sickbadthing
Out fart the hottie!

Unzip your pants and let the tip of your penis poke out. It throws them off because they're focused on your penis.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:08 PM   #5
slutbutt
Banned

It's Vans so I bet it's a business casual environment so you'd probably be safe without a tie or jacket. there are good refreshers for resume and interview tips at msn sometimes. review your resume several times before going in and look at several examples of resumes online for proper formatting. once thats done go over the high points of your work experience while looking in the mirror.

edit: read about the history of Vans. The more you know the better: When and where they started, if the company changed hands... blah. they eat that kiss-ass I love this company bs right up. also know where you want to be in five years\where you are going. even if you lie through your teeth have a decent plan for personal growth within the company. Consider things like schedule also, there is no point in telling them you want to get a degree in four years if there is lots of conflicting travel and overtime.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:09 PM   #6
slutbutt
Banned

also show up hungover

Old 02-11-2008, 11:11 PM   #7
Lola
Apocalyptic Poster

most people pretty much decide whether or not they like you within the first 5 mins of meeting you. Smile, be upbeat and professional. thank them for meeting with you. Good luck!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:15 PM   #8
Sepiae
is a modern day sex camel

Serious answer: make sure you ask questions!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:15 PM   #9
slutbutt
Banned

good point.

also if they offer you a water or anything to drink or whatever and you accept. be sure to ask to recycle it or at the very least make an effort to throw it away. the 'can I get you a water' bs is a test of responsibility.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:16 PM   #10
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Wear a low cut top and show some leg.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:18 PM   #11
slutbutt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciGarski View Post
i never know what a good answer to the question "what are your weaknesses?"
you should say your greatest weakness is something that sort of\barely pertains to the tasks you will be involved with, but at the same time here is a list of ways you are working at it.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:20 PM   #12
Lola
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I was told " Im not aware of any weakness that I have that would negatively effect my job" Is a good answer, sounds like a pretty shitty answer to me though. I think the last time I was asked that I said spelling or somthing like that

Old 02-11-2008, 11:22 PM   #13
slutbutt
Banned

whoa, I liek taht

Old 02-11-2008, 11:29 PM   #14
slutbutt
Banned

oh I almost forgot. when they ask you for a reference say, 'oh here is my last manager, he tried to make out with me'.

that works everytime

Old 02-12-2008, 12:27 AM   #15
mercurial
$ W▲ G

do you know what they're looking for? have you seen a position description?

you need to convince them you bring all the deliverables with you. you need to convince them of your net worth to the company. you need to give examples of all your experience and skills in all key key tasks and areas of responsibility.

one of the best questions i got asked in an interview, was when i applied for a job which had a strategic & planning focus. the interviewer asked me "How many car tires were sold in New Zealand last year? And please explain your working"

the point of the question was they wanted to see how i would work it out. i gave it a go and gave them my reasoning - which is what they were looking for. the ability and willingness to problem solve.

what i'm driving at is that you should be expect to be tested so make sure you're thinking sharp and clear. be prepared for tough questions, and if you don't know the answer, think them through and show them that you've got that ability to problem solve.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:27 AM   #16
mercurial
$ W▲ G

oh and, look your best.

best foot forward in an interview - always

Old 02-12-2008, 12:59 AM   #17
Fattening Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef curtains View Post
Do you still have a ponytail Gilly?

Uum... let me think of a serious response too...
No, I cut my hair last summer. I did this because i am aware how short, clean hair makes people take you more seriously. I also got tired of the length and its weight. ;p plus i look super sexy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slutbutt View Post
It's Vans so I bet it's a business casual environment so you'd probably be safe without a tie or jacket. there are good refreshers for resume and interview tips at msn sometimes. review your resume several times before going in and look at several examples of resumes online for proper formatting. once thats done go over the high points of your work experience while looking in the mirror.

edit: read about the history of Vans. The more you know the better: When and where they started, if the company changed hands... blah. they eat that kiss-ass I love this company bs right up. also know where you want to be in five years\where you are going. even if you lie through your teeth have a decent plan for personal growth within the company. Consider things like schedule also, there is no point in telling them you want to get a degree in four years if there is lots of conflicting travel and overtime.
This post is pretty much right on. Thank you.

I inquired with my boss about what attire might be too much or what might be too little, and I am not recommended to come in snazzy looking, just to come as i would to work, which is brand right and in Vans apparel. He did suggest i wear a short sleeve top to show the fact that i have no tats. Apparently a cleaner, conservative look is more appealing. I find this odd as so many people work for this company with piercings and tats. I could only assume we're shifting towards a more conservative look on the level i am applying for.

Quote:
this is a good question, and i currently don't know what i would say if asked. I need to think about this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepiae View Post
Serious answer: make sure you ask questions!
I will try to ask some. Im familiar with most of what this job entails as I do some of this work now and have seen what my boss does. The Area manager position with Vans is a temporary position. An area manager is given about 5 stores to manage as a mini DM. The company's growth rate is booming and the plan is to add more stores to the plate and eventually promote the Area manager to a District Manager.. so they must find the right area manager. I have eight years experience, all in the managerment level at retail as well as numerous field experience and relocations, so i have a decent chance at this.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:03 AM   #18
slutbutt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattening Ass View Post

I inquired with my boss about what attire might be too much or what might be too little, and I am not recommended to come in snazzy looking, just to come as i would to work, which is brand right and in Vans apparel. He did suggest i wear a short sleeve top to show the fact that i have no tats.
bad idea. I have interviewed tons and at the very least you should come in nice slacks, nice button down dress long sleeve shirt and clean black dress shoes. the only real rule is to dress a bit nicer than the people interviewing you. once you get the job dress accordingly but dont push it with short sleeves and VANS attire on the interview. that just fucked man.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:04 AM   #19
slutbutt
Banned

as for proving you dont have tats, I have never heard of people trying to prove they aren't a negative image. dont focus on that. focus on what you can bring to the table, not what you aren't bringing.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:06 AM   #20
Fattening Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
do you know what they're looking for? have you seen a position description?

you need to convince them you bring all the deliverables with you. you need to convince them of your net worth to the company. you need to give examples of all your experience and skills in all key key tasks and areas of responsibility.

one of the best questions i got asked in an interview, was when i applied for a job which had a strategic & planning focus. the interviewer asked me "How many car tires were sold in New Zealand last year? And please explain your working"

the point of the question was they wanted to see how i would work it out. i gave it a go and gave them my reasoning - which is what they were looking for. the ability and willingness to problem solve.

what i'm driving at is that you should be expect to be tested so make sure you're thinking sharp and clear. be prepared for tough questions, and if you don't know the answer, think them through and show them that you've got that ability to problem solve.
Thanks. My biggest fear is getting questions i am unprepared for and being unable to give a good answer.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:08 AM   #21
Fattening Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by slutbutt View Post
bad idea. I have interviewed tons and at the very least you should come in nice slacks, nice button down dress long sleeve shirt and clean black dress shoes. the only real rule is to dress a bit nicer than the people interviewing you. once you get the job dress accordingly but dont push it with short sleeves and VANS attire on the interview. that just fucked man.
We have some decent looking button ups and bottoms. The attire at corporate is casual. i was there two weeks ago and not a single person there didn't look like they were in high school. People even rode bikes and skateboards to different departments.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:10 AM   #22
slutbutt
Banned

Quote:
We have some decent looking button ups and bottoms. The attire at corporate is casual. i was there two weeks ago and not a single person there didn't look like they were in high school. People even rode bikes and skateboards to different departments.
I would never dream of interviewing in anything less. just my two cents. I actually go out and purchase new clothing for interviews. especially the ones I really want to land. I dont take chances.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:15 AM   #23
Fattening Ass

Funny thing is, I interview knuckleheads all the time for associate and management positions myself. :S

Old 02-12-2008, 01:16 AM   #24
slutbutt
Banned

newport news

Old 02-12-2008, 01:21 AM   #25
murgle
Shaz doesn't fuck around.

Typically, I would dress up, but seeing as how you already work for the company and know how everyone dresses (and your boss gave recommendations regarding clothes), go with your gut.

Also, my honest to god answer for "What are your weaknesses?" is "I'm a perfectionist." It's true- I have to know the answer for any question I have (and I find the answer), I don't like it when I'm told I've messed something up (it makes me feel like a failure), and I want my peers and those below me to also strive for perfection. I get that no one is perfect. I understand that- but at least NOT fucking up or taking ridiculous shortcuts (that make a sub-standard product/end result) are requirements.
-- I think the "I don't have any weaknesses that would affect my job" blah blah is fucking lame and if I were interviewing someone and they answered that to that question I would think they were hiding something or being smart asses.

Smile. Firm handshake. Ask questions, but appear knowledgable/ready to learn.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:23 AM   #26
slutbutt
Banned

be prepared with broccoli farts

Old 02-12-2008, 01:30 AM   #27
murgle
Shaz doesn't fuck around.

It's true. I'm just that way. I hate being told I'm wrong. I hate it soo much.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:56 AM   #28
mercurial
$ W▲ G

Quote:
Thanks. My biggest fear is getting questions i am unprepared for and being unable to give a good answer.
good interviewers always have a clever question up their sleeves and will take away more from your answers than you intend to give them

this is where you've got to have faith in your experience and your intelligence to be able to think through the question and give a good answer

Old 02-12-2008, 01:59 AM   #29
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

go get 'em big guy! i know you can do it!!

Old 02-12-2008, 02:04 AM   #30
mercurial
$ W▲ G

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgle View Post

Also, my honest to god answer for "What are your weaknesses?" is "I'm a perfectionist." It's true- I have to know the answer for any question I have (and I find the answer), I don't like it when I'm told I've messed something up (it makes me feel like a failure), and I want my peers and those below me to also strive for perfection. I get that no one is perfect. I understand that- but at least NOT fucking up or taking ridiculous shortcuts (that make a sub-standard product/end result) are requirements.
-- I think the "I don't have any weaknesses that would affect my job" blah blah is fucking lame and if I were interviewing someone and they answered that to that question I would think they were hiding something or being smart asses.
i hate the "weaknesses" question but it's unavoidable at times

i think what makes this a good answer is it's honest. a good interviewer is more than likely going to have some skills when it comes to judging character. if they sense you are lying, you've failed that question and i'd dare say one of their main criteria (unless one of the job requirements is being a very good liar)

when i get asked this question i usually talk about how i've had a past tendency to not manage my time very well. i've since done a course (at the behest of a previous employer) on good time management, i now use a diary and a planner religiously and make have made a conscious decision to manage my time better. since i've done these things, my time management has been very good.

i don't know what impression that left with the interviewers who've asked - but i've never been turned down after an interview where that question was asked.