Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
Crystal_Chrome
Pledge

Default Backup Application Suggestions

I recently finally went on and backup almost the entirety of my system in a 2 TB external by simply copy-pasting most of my internal hard drives stuff into the external (each on a separate folder named after the drive). The reasons I’ve always seemed to postpone the process were that I basically wanted to perfectly organize everything before I back up (yeah right) AND I’ve been searching for the best backup application for my needs. At the end I realized I better just use the old traditional copy so I make a temporary backup and save me some peace of my mind and THEN keep on sorting my system and find a decent backup app.
Now, by searching I mostly end up in what seems like paid reviews and/or imaging software. I thought I could use some help.
My idea of backup plan is basically having everything from the 3 internals (well, not program files and system folders apparently) backup in the offline 2 TB external and periodically (like weekly) plug it in and update/synch any addition/changes that occurred. I don’t know what you guys think about it but that’s the idea and feel free to point out something but mostly with that in my mind, help me choosing the right back application paid or free, it doesn’t matter, as long as it’s perfectly filling the following criteria:

1. Most importantly I want it to be able to compare a selection of predetermined folders in the internal, SENSITIVELY NOTICE every little kb I might be adding/changing (even if that’s an updated tag or jpg input in an mp3) and go and update its mirror folder(s) in the external when I ask it to and of course not having to tediously copy/paste/overwrite. Automatically if I choose to, i.e. every time I plug in the external BUT also give the choice to do it manually and not forcing auto mode. I would also want to do that freely between let’s say two folders I choose, granted making sure they got the same name and keeping the same subfolders path. What I mean is I hope I got the change to do that update/synching NOW I have already backup most of my system in the external , just applying the new changes and not have to delete everything from the external and start anew with the backup application. i.e. install the app NOW and go and tell it: “you know something? I want to make sure that the “my music” or “my photos” folders I created with the backup in the external some days ago are identical with how their sister folders in the internal look NOW after my new additions. Without having to start from scratch, by only going and changing what’s necessary and not copying the same things all over again.

2. Speed. Reviews report some apps being faster than the others so it’s important if it does the job as fast as possible. External supports USB 3 and my next system will too so if it’s optimized for better performance with it, great. Although I guess that’s not really application related.

3. Compatibility with future systems. Win XP/ 32 bit still for now yet even though I guess this won’t be a problem I want to make sure I will be able to carry my backup and application over to my next system, possibly Win 7/64 Bits. Sorry Steve Jobs.

4. Control. Again I want to able to control everything. I’m aware what I m describing is practically called synching but I want that to be one-way IF I want it to. Which I do. I have used a synching app in the past; I think it even was windows native which was practically synching everything. Things is that it was just making sure internal and mirror folders are identical even if that meant that it has to go and alter the original internal folder so its identical with the external one! No, I don’t want that, I want it “one-way” i.e. the external being a mirror of the internal, not the other way around!

5. It shouldn’t have a problem handling Unicode characters i.e. acting funny if meets other than latin characters (german, greek etc). Same with not truncating a long filename, at least not longer than what windows allow. Dunno, weird stuff like that happens sometimes.

6. I don’t care much for encryption and/or compression. If it gives a reasonable optional one fine. By that I mean not having any weird compressing mode forced upon my files making them useless in an environment outside of it.

I might be ignoring something important but basically that’s it. If it includes more great features, great, but as long as it is stable and fits those criteria, I’m happy. Thank you.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
Mooney
Socialphobic

upgrade to windows 7. apparently it's built-in auto back-up software is decent.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963

mooney, you're a good lookin guy so im guessing you get laid every hour on the hour so there's no way in hell you read all that which means you're giving some shitty advice. i have no opinion on the matter, im just fucked up and calling you out. say hi to your mom for me.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
TuralyonW3
Immortal

just burn everything to CDRs!

Old 08-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
Mooney
Socialphobic

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis The Fat Years View Post
mooney, you're a good lookin guy so im guessing you get laid every hour on the hour so there's no way in hell you read all that which means you're giving some shitty advice. i have no opinion on the matter, im just fucked up and calling you out. say hi to your mom for me.
i totally didn't read a single one of his stated demands. but my sex life had nothing to do with it, unfortunately. i just didn't really give a shit.

as for shitty advice, i dunno. windows 7 is pretty awesome. so he could upgrade, try out the built-in backup software and see if he likes it, and if not get something else.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:12 AM   #6
sickbadthing
Out fart the hottie!

i didn't read all that but achronis

acronis

whaterver it is

do a hybrid of backing your operating system files and then all the extra shit of files and all that stupid garbage you think you have a reason to save

if you can't pay for acronis then steal it off of the internet like everyone else does

Old 08-15-2011, 03:13 AM   #7
sickbadthing
Out fart the hottie!

you also don't seem to know how to organize your shit but that could just be me not reading closely and i've had some wine, malbec to be clear on what wine

Old 08-15-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
The Jesus
Minion of Satan

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=15155

It won't do the sync automatically when you connect your external drive, but it should meet all your other requirements.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:48 AM   #9
FlyinLo_DyinSlo
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_Chrome View Post
I recently finally went on and backup almost the entirety of my system in a 2 TB external by simply copy-pasting most of my internal hard drives stuff into the external (each on a separate folder named after the drive). The reasons I’ve always seemed to postpone the process were that I basically wanted to perfectly organize everything before I back up (yeah right) AND I’ve been searching for the best backup application for my needs. At the end I realized I better just use the old traditional copy so I make a temporary backup and save me some peace of my mind and THEN keep on sorting my system and find a decent backup app.
Now, by searching I mostly end up in what seems like paid reviews and/or imaging software. I thought I could use some help.
My idea of backup plan is basically having everything from the 3 internals (well, not program files and system folders apparently) backup in the offline 2 TB external and periodically (like weekly) plug it in and update/synch any addition/changes that occurred. I don’t know what you guys think about it but that’s the idea and feel free to point out something but mostly with that in my mind, help me choosing the right back application paid or free, it doesn’t matter, as long as it’s perfectly filling the following criteria:

1. Most importantly I want it to be able to compare a selection of predetermined folders in the internal, SENSITIVELY NOTICE every little kb I might be adding/changing (even if that’s an updated tag or jpg input in an mp3) and go and update its mirror folder(s) in the external when I ask it to and of course not having to tediously copy/paste/overwrite. Automatically if I choose to, i.e. every time I plug in the external BUT also give the choice to do it manually and not forcing auto mode. I would also want to do that freely between let’s say two folders I choose, granted making sure they got the same name and keeping the same subfolders path. What I mean is I hope I got the change to do that update/synching NOW I have already backup most of my system in the external , just applying the new changes and not have to delete everything from the external and start anew with the backup application. i.e. install the app NOW and go and tell it: “you know something? I want to make sure that the “my music” or “my photos” folders I created with the backup in the external some days ago are identical with how their sister folders in the internal look NOW after my new additions. Without having to start from scratch, by only going and changing what’s necessary and not copying the same things all over again.

2. Speed. Reviews report some apps being faster than the others so it’s important if it does the job as fast as possible. External supports USB 3 and my next system will too so if it’s optimized for better performance with it, great. Although I guess that’s not really application related.

3. Compatibility with future systems. Win XP/ 32 bit still for now yet even though I guess this won’t be a problem I want to make sure I will be able to carry my backup and application over to my next system, possibly Win 7/64 Bits. Sorry Steve Jobs.

4. Control. Again I want to able to control everything. I’m aware what I m describing is practically called synching but I want that to be one-way IF I want it to. Which I do. I have used a synching app in the past; I think it even was windows native which was practically synching everything. Things is that it was just making sure internal and mirror folders are identical even if that meant that it has to go and alter the original internal folder so its identical with the external one! No, I don’t want that, I want it “one-way” i.e. the external being a mirror of the internal, not the other way around!

5. It shouldn’t have a problem handling Unicode characters i.e. acting funny if meets other than latin characters (german, greek etc). Same with not truncating a long filename, at least not longer than what windows allow. Dunno, weird stuff like that happens sometimes.

6. I don’t care much for encryption and/or compression. If it gives a reasonable optional one fine. By that I mean not having any weird compressing mode forced upon my files making them useless in an environment outside of it.

I might be ignoring something important but basically that’s it. If it includes more great features, great, but as long as it is stable and fits those criteria, I’m happy. Thank you.
if youre going to be insane just save your piss in jars or something youre gonna end up with carpal tunnel syndrome

Old 08-16-2011, 04:08 AM   #10
Dead Frequency
Minion of Satan

Location: They don't know who did it, but they're looking for hardened criminals

I hear floppy disks work in an exceptional manner

Old 08-16-2011, 07:05 AM   #11
Crystal_Chrome
Pledge

The Jesus > Yeah Synchtoy is a valid option. It's a candidate to try among others. Thanks.

As for the others wow... Is this a wankery competition or something? An amazing streak of first grade humour, "I dont give a fuck or got an idea about what this guy says yet I am posting for the sake of it", shit, analysis, piss and some more of the most obvious retarded first grade humour. You got this dude making that cringe-worthy joke about CDs and I am like, "you could do better than that, floppy disks maybe?". Then... yeah....
Keep having a good time while being helpful and hilarious you almost made me cry out of gratefulness , laughter and most of all, hurting my feelings.
In case you run out of brilliance, here is some more:

*Fuck off, I can't be arsed to read all that.
*Fuck off (mucho radio edit of the above).
*Try Spectrum Cassettes!
*Look at your post count kid.
*Copy+Paste.
*Install DOS
*I got no idea what you're saying but (random crap).
*Take it to the O-board asshole.
*Get a Mac you cheapskater.
*Your stupid shit of data is piss useless like you so just go and catch AIDS and die while I am being productive and funny on the Internet.
*Actually going and use any or (hey why not?) ALL of the above.

I knew it was a bad idea asking here in the first place and I won't be listening but hey... just consider all the amazing possibilities to amuse yourself and the kids around while being a humorless idiot in one of your "let's bash Bolly Corrigan" parade breaks.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #12
Dead Frequency
Minion of Satan

Location: They don't know who did it, but they're looking for hardened criminals

well, at least youre a sport about it

Old 08-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #13
To Me My Beard!
Pledge

Old 08-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #14
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm actually going through a real similar situation on my end currently - got a new system with a 2 TB internal - bought a 2 TB external, and want to have it be a constant mirror.

I still haven't found out the best way to do the mirroring of the drives yet, but I did however sign up for 3 years with Carbonite. So far, it's been super painless. They don't have a file cap, just a limit of one hard drive per machine. I've got about 120 GB uploaded to that, all of the crucial stuff. Have been really happy with it so far.

Acronis looks interesting... hmm. Let me know what you end up going with.

PS: Ya got a genuine lol outta me with that cd-r comment, Turalyon...

Old 08-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #15
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Clonezilla for a system a system image. And Win7 backup for file folders you can access without having to restore (through Clonezilla).