Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2018, 05:44 PM   #1
fuzzyroes
Banned

Default New albums gonna rock

I know there's a lot of jaded feelings surrounding Billy and his projects (and rightfully so) but I think the new album has a pretty good chance of being awesome. I think at this point the production kinks are worked out, and on Monuments Billy was actually singing pretty good again and you factor in Jimmy and potential contributions from James and it has a really good chance of being pretty great. I'm at least confident that it's gonna be better than Teargarden/Oceania/Monuments... And optimistic that it'll be better than Zeitgeist/The Future Embrace/Zwan

I think Billy knows the stakes are a little higher here, and I fully expect him to up his game to meet the legendary status of Jimmy and James. One things for sure, it's pretty much his last kick at the can to right the ship and I think we're gonna hear something that at the least is gonna sound pretty cool.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:52 PM   #2
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I fucking hate Zeitgeist though

Old 02-04-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

I am trying very hard to temper my expectations, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't really intrigued at the notion of what BC and JC can do together after 10 years. The last time they worked in the studio together was what, G.L.O.W? More power to them if James was actually with them or contributing ideas.

I am more enthused than I've been in a really long while. I'm not harboring any illusions we'll get stuff worthy of the glory days but this feels like a real effort, BC talking about how he thinks it's really worth it and how it feels right to be working with guitars again. Feels like he gives a shit now. I'm interested.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:20 PM   #4
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Looking forward to the new album "D.A.D.S" out this summer

Old 02-04-2018, 06:20 PM   #5
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
I fucking hate Zeitgeist though
I think they realize where they went wrong with that.

And the biggest problem with that album was Billy's vocals and he's gotten progressively better with each subsequent release. I think he sounded really good on some of that Monuments material.

If he sung like that on Zeitgeist the album would have been received completely differently

Old 02-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #6
fuzzyroes
Banned

It's easy to be consumed with negativity at this point in the juncture, but fuck... I'm excited about hearing a fresh BC/JC collaboration. If James is contributing in any substantial way then we might really get something fucking cool.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #7
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I think they realize where they went wrong with that.

And the biggest problem with that album was Billy's vocals and he's gotten progressively better with each subsequent release. I think he sounded really good on some of that Monuments material.

If he sung like that on Zeitgeist the album would have been received completely differently
Oh yes, abs after realising that they made TbK, Oceania and Monuments.

Well, I assume it can't get any worse than monuments. Yay?

Old 02-04-2018, 06:26 PM   #8
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

no

Old 02-04-2018, 06:30 PM   #9
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Oh yes, abs after realising that they made TbK, Oceania and Monuments.

Well, I assume it can't get any worse than monuments. Yay?
Well you're ignoring the big elephant in the room. Jimmy Chamberlin is a massive part of the bands sound... You get rid of him with a kid that hasn't recorded before and you're gonna be held back creatively and artistically. With Jimmy recording you rid yourself of a lot of question marks... Hell, Oceania would have been pretty cool if Jimmy collaborated on it. And songs like One and All sounded monstrous with JC behind the skins.

It sucks its taken so long for Billy to get back Jimmy in the fold, but better late than never.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:34 PM   #10
fuzzyroes
Banned

In my mind, JC makes it almost a definite lock that the albums not gonna suck... And to be honest and truthful I don't think anything has actually "sucked" since Teargarden... I find Oceania boring and the drumming holds back the vibe he was going for, but I can't say it sucks... And I actually like some of Monuments.

It's not all doom and gloom... Hell, I'm just happy he's getting away from that acoustic crap... Actually, I think that solo album fucking sucked. But that's neither here nor there.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:37 PM   #11
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Oceania/Monuments suffers from terrible lyrics, and who do you think is writing the lyrics for this new album?? I don't think it's Jimmy

Old 02-04-2018, 06:37 PM   #12
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
And songs like One and All sounded monstrous with JC behind the skins.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:38 PM   #13
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Terrible lyrics, uninspired music, generic riffs...

Old 02-04-2018, 06:48 PM   #14
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Well you're ignoring the big elephant in the room. Jimmy Chamberlin is a massive part of the bands sound... You get rid of him with a kid that hasn't recorded before and you're gonna be held back creatively and artistically. With Jimmy recording you rid yourself of a lot of question marks... Hell, Oceania would have been pretty cool if Jimmy collaborated on it. And songs like One and All sounded monstrous with JC behind the skins.

It sucks its taken so long for Billy to get back Jimmy in the fold, but better late than never.
I love Jimmy, but he wasn't able to make Zeitgeist a good album, and he wont be able to make any other album good. My favourite Pumpkins album is Adore... I also think Oceania is a better album than Z.

Do we want another "ok" album tho? I don't think so. The Pumpkins was "huge" cause the fans could relate to the music and lyrics. Regardless who is in the band, if Billy can't be that kind of song writer anymore, this reunion won't succeed.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:44 PM   #15
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
I am trying very hard to temper my expectations, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't really intrigued at the notion of what BC and JC can do together after 10 years. The last time they worked in the studio together was what, G.L.O.W? More power to them if James was actually with them or contributing ideas
Word up. It's been longer between 2018 and G.L.O.W. than between the Metro and Zeitgeist. And that's not counting Billy and Jimmy playing together in Zwan and hashing out Zeitgeist for ages in Scottsdale.

Who knows though. Billy seems to have been working on these songs for a while -I'm pretty sure he's been talking about writing rock songs again for at least 2 years.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:47 PM   #16
ilikeplanets
Braindead

you'd think by 50 years old he'd know to stop promising to do things that require several years because he literally never completes them

Old 02-04-2018, 08:48 PM   #17
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

There is no conceivable way it will be better than Zwan

Old 02-04-2018, 08:49 PM   #18
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
Oceania/Monuments suffers from terrible lyrics, and who do you think is writing the lyrics for this new album?? I don't think it's Jimmy
Ehhh, I don't really care about lyrics all that much... As long as they sound cool, I'm all good.

While some Pumpkins songs connect with me lyrically, some of my all-time favorites mean nothing to me lyrically. I just make up my own belief in what the music is trying to convey.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #19
fuzzyroes
Banned

I mean I like the band Bush after all haha

Old 02-04-2018, 08:51 PM   #20
ilikeplanets
Braindead

they really don't sound cool (in your pocket) though

Old 02-04-2018, 08:51 PM   #21
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
There is no conceivable way it will be better than Zwan
I dunno man, while having a few good songs, that Zwan album is mostly garbage.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:44 PM   #22
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
I dunno man, while having a few good songs, that Zwan album is mostly garbage.
Your metric of what is and isn't garbage is broken and insincere and reactionary and more steeped in what you -feel like- you should think than what you actually do, so i'm gonna go ahead and say "no, shut the fuck up"

Old 02-04-2018, 11:08 PM   #23
T&T
Socialphobic

zwan had legit musicianship.

and
even my threads aren't this bad. one star.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:34 AM   #24
fuzzyroes
Banned

I think a lot of people are gonna be pleasantly surprised with the new material and subsequent live show. Just felt like expressing a little optimism amidst the negativity.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:35 AM   #25
fuzzyroes
Banned

It's Billy Corgan, Jimmy Chamberlin and James Iha back in the studio making a new album.

How is that anything but fucking awesome?

Old 02-05-2018, 12:38 AM   #26
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

You should put more effort into your trolling.

I put a lot of effort into your father.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:45 AM   #27
T&T
Socialphobic

what part is "james in the studio?" him dropping by one afternoon?

Old 02-05-2018, 12:49 AM   #28
fuzzyroes
Banned

I think Paranoid is bang on... I think James is involved, and that's the aspect they're trying to keep under wraps until they make the announcement ... The "visitor in the studio" tweet was just a little tease I think... A way to get the rumor mill churning... And it worked. The radio personality in Vancouver was gabbing away about it.

He's there for the photo shoot, he's at least gotta be adding in some touches on the tracks.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:20 AM   #29
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
He's there for the photo shoot, he's at least gotta be adding in some touches on the tracks.
like back in 93 right?

Old 02-05-2018, 01:30 AM   #30
fuzzyroes
Banned

I'm thinking like more of a MCIS or Machina vibe.

I think James' lack of involvement on Siamese Dream has been grossly exaggerated by Billy. Sure, Billy was probably the one doing the heavy lifting but I like to think Iha contributed... Hell, he co-wrote 2 of the best songs on the album after all.