I LISTEN TO THIS SONG AND EAT ICE CREAM SOMEBODY TRY TO FIGHT ME

Old 08-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #33
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Here's a thought - explain to me why it isn't
you made the claim. it's your job to back it up.

calories are calories and, while rising or falling blood sugar levels does have something to do with hunger, sleeping for 6-10 hours would make your blood sugar coasting around baseline regardless of whether you ate right before bed or not.

look, eating a gallon of ice cream in bed isn't good, but it's not because you're eating it at night. people do sometimes have food cravings are certain times of days (often night) but that's a psychological compulsion, not some biological process trying to trick you into being fat. that said, some people stick to not eating before bed for various reasons. it also might be some kind of evolutionary holdover from not being able to keep food from spoiling. gotta eat it tonight or it goes to waste since we have no electricity/refrigeration

my objection is claiming to bullshit like "eating b4 bed is bad cuz it makes you hungry for lunch earlier the next day" because when people say it enough, everyone believes it

Old 08-27-2016, 07:14 PM   #34
slunken
Virgo

REPRISE,

did it really take you an hour and 20 minutes to back that claim up?

Old 08-27-2016, 07:14 PM   #35
slunken
Virgo

this is the internet

Old 08-27-2016, 07:15 PM   #36
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
eating a gallon of ice cream in bed isn't good
can you back this claim up

Old 08-27-2016, 07:18 PM   #37
slunken
Virgo

All joking aside, my personal evidence is that if I eat after 10pm, I am groggy in the morning and extra hungry before lunch. If I don't eat before 9pm, I feel fine in the morning and am not hungry before lunch.

Personal data would lead me to believe that if I eat after 10pm it makes me more hungry. Perhaps I am a gremlin. I'll let the pros decide.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:54 PM   #38
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
REPRISE,

did it really take you an hour and 20 minutes to back that claim up?
no?

Quote:
All joking aside, my personal evidence is that if I eat after 10pm, I am groggy in the morning and extra hungry before lunch. If I don't eat before 9pm, I feel fine in the morning and am not hungry before lunch.

Personal data would lead me to believe that if I eat after 10pm it makes me more hungry. Perhaps I am a gremlin. I'll let the pros decide.
everyone has different anecdotal experience, but you didn't present yours that way, and when RBG tried to present the idea that it was a well cited but dubious claim (as in, not backed up by any statistical proof), you refuted. this is how this shit gets around. i mean idgaf it's just us on netphoria talking about eating ice cream but this happens with all kinds of shit like anti-vax etc

Old 08-27-2016, 07:59 PM   #39
slunken
Virgo

you're right. this is total urban legend like the shadow man.

ladies and gentlemen, continue to eat bologna sandwiches at 1130 pm with no after effects, i am sorry for the intrusion. i repeat, please continue to eat ice cream at 1130 pm or later.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:01 PM   #40
slunken
Virgo

In fact we encourage you to eat anything you like directly before bedtime. 3rd meal is not just a taco bell concept. You can incorporate this into your own home, folks.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:13 PM   #41
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

slunken why so dense tonight

if you prefer to eat late go ahead, it's not going to fuck up your metabolism. that is a myth. end of story. it could give you heartburn tho

of course limiting junk food is a great idea, but a bologna sandwich at 11am is not fundamentally different from one at 11pm, metabolically speaking, assuming a human within normal bounds (no diabetes etc) for someone like me, making a no food within 4 hours of sleep rule might be good as part of a weight loss strategy (since i tend to eat a lot at night), or for you because you have noticed you feel better when you don't eat late, but individual differences are not facts for the entire population to follow

anyway i just ate some fish it was good

Last edited by reprise85 : 08-27-2016 at 08:19 PM.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:32 PM   #42
slunken
Virgo

i understand all of that but I still think its a good rule because more often than not, if you're eating before bed its going to be junk fook

Old 08-27-2016, 08:33 PM   #43
slunken
Virgo

i mean who the fuck is eating a spinach salad at 1130pm

Old 08-27-2016, 08:38 PM   #44
slunken
Virgo

http://www.businessinsider.com/eatin...ht-gain-2015-1

Quote:
Our bodies aren't designed to eat a big meal and collapse on the couch or the bed afterwards. Sitting upright helps us digest — it lets gravity do the work of keeping the contents of our stomach down. In people with heartburn, laying down can cause the acid in the stomach to leak out into the esophagus, or "foodpipe," causing reflux.

Since the stomach takes about three hours to empty itself, waiting at least this amount of time before laying down or sleeping is a good idea.

Koufman's thinking — backed by decades of sage medical advice — has been borne out by recent research. A 2005 study of the nighttime eating habits of 350 people found that eating dinner within 3 hours of bedtime was positively associated with their risk of developing reflux symptoms, even after controlling for smoking, body mass index, and other factors that could affect heartburn.

Waiting so long to eat that you are ravenous by dinnertime can also cause you to eat too quickly and overstuff yourself. Since your brain takes about 20 minutes to register a full stomach, you could eat too much before you know you're satiated. If this is happening more than one or two nights a week, it could be causing you to gain weight.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:38 PM   #45
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

yeah for sure, that's a good point

Old 08-27-2016, 08:39 PM   #46
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
If eating a large meal and crashing at the end of the day seems inevitable, it's helpful to remember that for hundreds of years, Westerners ate only one large meal a day — typically in the middle of the day. The Romans, for example, dined only once, usually around noontime. In colonial America, one main meal was served in the middle of the day. Europeans, too, noshed almost exclusively at noon, when the most natural light was available for cooking, with the exception of farmers and laborers, who woke up early and typically grabbed a snack of something leftover from the day's previous meal.

Most Westerners owe breakfast to the long and early work hours of the Industrial Revolution. Heavy laborers needed a morning snack to fuel them for the daily grind. Factory workers couldn't go home in the middle of the day, so between that morning meal and their supper at home, workers took snack breaks at the canteens and food carts that began popping up outside factories during this time. Here, lunch may have been born.

As the Industrial Revolution ended, work in heavy labor gave way to office jobs (hello, 9-5!), the middle class emerged, and at-home evening meal became an American tradition and a marker of social status.

That evening meal is now our biggest, fattiest tradition.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:42 PM   #47
slunken
Virgo

oh great so its now a class war.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:44 PM   #48
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

the one source in that article is another article in the NYT that itself has no sources, which is 95% about one doc's experience with patients with GERD

the other looks-like source is just a link to generic information about what digestion is https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-inf...s/anatomy.aspx

Old 08-27-2016, 08:47 PM   #49
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

during the school year i tend to eat breakfast and then a small dinner and that's it
the biggest thing with me and GERD is just over-eating

Old 08-27-2016, 08:49 PM   #50
slunken
Virgo

why netphoria gotta be so argumentative?

science is always wrong, i think we can all agree on that

Old 08-27-2016, 08:49 PM   #51
slunken
Virgo

reprise back me up on this

Old 08-27-2016, 08:51 PM   #52
slunken
Virgo

set yourself free

Old 08-27-2016, 08:53 PM   #53
slunken
Virgo

this is the only science i need

Old 08-27-2016, 08:56 PM   #54
slunken
Virgo

I know a lot of people clown Disturbd but that it the best song they've ever written.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:58 PM   #55
slunken
Virgo

I had pre-ordered this album digitally and was amazing the very first time I heard it. This song is a masterpiece. I got so pumped when I heard this start up in that trailer.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:39 PM   #56
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

science is so science

Old 08-27-2016, 09:53 PM   #57
slunken
Virgo

its - i don't know - disturbed even

Old 08-28-2016, 01:56 AM   #58
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

If I'm hungry I just eat peanut butter until I'm not hungry, and then eat a piece of fruit.

Sometimes I eat the peanut butter with celery and dates, and skip the fruit.

I could probably live on peanut butter, if my body allowed me to.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:57 AM   #59
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Oh well obviously this hardly ever happens, because I spend half my life in the kitchen cooking and preparing food, and I do get to sit down and eat those meals.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:47 AM   #60
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
In fact we encourage you to eat anything you like directly before bedtime. 3rd meal is not just a taco bell concept. You can incorporate this into your own home, folks.
It's 4th meal, arent you supposed to eat three already? Not like anyone eats breakfast anyway though...ew