Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2019, 06:17 PM   #31
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I agree, she would have been a very good pres

Old 02-16-2019, 06:18 PM   #32
Eulogy
huh

I’m still bitter about the 2008 primary because the only real policy difference was on an individual mandate for health insurance. Obama opposed it. Clinton supported it. We know what happened.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:18 PM   #33
Eulogy
huh

Don’t get me wrong though I really love Barack Obama.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:20 PM   #34
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
I like Lizzy Warren too

I think in strictly policy terms Bernie is just slightly left of her

sadly I think she's far less electable though
Why?

She has actually laid out how to accomplish what she wants to do. Bernie never did that.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:25 PM   #35
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
Why?

She has actually laid out how to accomplish what she wants to do. Bernie never did that.
just a guess but probably because people don't vote on logical things like this

Old 02-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #36
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
So admittedly this is kind of personal. I witnessed someone go from a sanders supporter to a trump supporter. I think they both fire similar neurons for stupid people.

The whole anti-establishment idea is monstrously stupid and he hung his hat on it. So when it came to the general... we all know what happened.

I do not have very solid data on this but I feel it in my fucking bones. Which is a bad way to think about stuff but we have so many great candidates now. He needs to fuck off.
Ah. I guess I don't think that the fact that many people were attracted to him for unsophisticated reasons says much about his policies themselves. Like, yeah, Fuzzy is a classic example, liking both Sanders and Trump, despite the fact that they've got completely opposing policies, because they are both "anti-establishment," and that is more of an emotive style than a policy. People like Fuzzy aren't interested in policies, only the images of politicians.

When it came to the policies, I think Sanders' were good, though.

And, as bad as it is, if there were a Democratic candidate with good policies who happened to win Trump's base's votes for purely aesthetic reasons, would that be a bad thing? Some Trump voters voted for Obama because his image was the "hopey-changey guy" in 2008. These people are idiots, anyway. May as well allow them to be useful idiots.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #37
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Ah. I guess I don't think that the fact that many people were attracted to him for unsophisticated reasons says much about his policies themselves. Like, yeah, Fuzzy is a classic example, liking both Sanders and Trump, despite the fact that they've got completely opposing policies, because they are both "anti-establishment," and that is more of an emotive style than a policy. People like Fuzzy aren't interested in policies, only the images of politicians.

When it came to the policies, I think Sanders' were good, though.

And, as bad as it is, if there were a Democratic candidate with good policies who happened to win Trump's base's votes for purely aesthetic reasons, would that be a bad thing? Some Trump voters voted for Obama because his image was the "hopey-changey guy" in 2008. These people are idiots, anyway. May as well allow them to be useful idiots.
You’re right but goddamn that’s depressing isn’t it?

Old 02-16-2019, 06:29 PM   #38
Eulogy
huh

I will push back on the idea that sanders has actual policies though. He refused to just say “soak the rich.” Warren is saying it.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:41 PM   #39
Elphenor
Braindead

Sanders has been saying some form of that for decades now where as Warren used to be a Republican

Sanders stood almost alone in naming the enemy for quite awhile

just being honest

Old 02-16-2019, 06:55 PM   #40
Elphenor
Braindead

most the Bernie Bros were people who would not have voted for a democrat anyway

the data I've seen suggests the large majority of Bernie primary voters still showed up for Hillary, granted that number should have been 100%

the divide was worse when it came time for Hillary voters to show up for Obama

*shrugs*

Old 02-16-2019, 07:05 PM   #41
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Sanders has been saying some form of that for decades now where as Warren used to be a Republican

Sanders stood almost alone in naming the enemy for quite awhile

just being honest
Oh my god she has spent her entire life as a consumer advocate and Bernie Sanders has never done anything. He yells about what he wants but never puts the time in to figure out how to actually get it.

I don’t give a fuck what Warren was registered as in the 80s and if you do you are fucking this up.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:30 AM   #42
Elphenor
Braindead

being that he's an independent it's not surprising he doesn't author a lot of the bills democrats vote on

But he has been called the "Amendment King" working away behind the scenes pushing legislation to the left

then theres his success in shaming Jeff Bezos into raising pay for warehouse employees

Old 02-17-2019, 10:41 AM   #43
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

I feel that the things that actually matter are gonna be fucked no matter who wins a next election. during Obama as well as Trump the climate is getting completely fucked over, the rich are getting richer and the poor poorer, ugly wars are being fought over the world with America's help.

trump and his message are a lot uglier to look at and to listen to but I don't think that during Obama enough was done to stop catastrophic consequences of climate change or to actually end poverty and in the end I don't believe the democrats are gonna deliver a candidate that, even when they would actually try to, would be able to actually make a change.

you're fucked, America, and so is the rest of the world.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:45 AM   #44
Elphenor
Braindead

well the new wave of democrats like AOC are finally putting an emphasis on the big existential threats

Bernie attacking money in politics was the start of that imo

however nah just like in 2016 there is a huge difference between 4 years of Trump and say Liz Warren

Old 02-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #45
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Can we unban Fuzzy for this one thread, please?

Old 02-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #46
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Although there seems to be some infighting, imagine if someone supported the other side!

Old 02-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #47
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
being that he's an independent it's not surprising he doesn't author a lot of the bills democrats vote on

But he has been called the "Amendment King" working away behind the scenes pushing legislation to the left

then theres his success in shaming Jeff Bezos into raising pay for warehouse employees
What are some of these amendments

Old 02-17-2019, 11:02 AM   #48
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
well the new wave of democrats like AOC are finally putting an emphasis on the big existential threats

Bernie attacking money in politics was the start of that imo

however nah just like in 2016 there is a huge difference between 4 years of Trump and say Liz Warren
Democrats have been opposed to unlimited pac spending forever. Citizens United was decided in 2010.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:19 AM   #49
ovary
Ownz

in trump country warren’s indian act reads as laughable liberal hypocracy. not sure why the left, so typically concerned about “cultural appropriation” and policing identity performance, is giving her a pass. one could argue that her claiming indian to advance her career is more racist than the blackface stuff. it’s not going to go away and its unsustainable. hopefully she drops out early and plays attack dog for whoever ends up in the progressive lane.

also hillary elected trump.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:24 AM   #50
FoolofaTook

can we please focus on the unbanishment of Fuzzrod?

thank u

Old 02-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #51
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovary View Post
in trump country warren’s indian act reads as laughable liberal hypocracy. not sure why the left, so typically concerned about “cultural appropriation” and policing identity performance, is giving her a pass. one could argue that her claiming indian to advance her career is more racist than the blackface stuff. it’s not going to go away and its unsustainable. hopefully she drops out early and plays attack dog for whoever ends up in the progressive lane.

also hillary elected trump.
One could certainly argue it but that would be stupid

Old 02-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #52
ovary
Ownz

the racism of both acts derives from impersonating an “other”; one with intent to mock and deride, one to fraudulently advance a white person’s career in a white and poweful profession.

i don’t think it’s useful to get into a “who is more racist” argument, but it is important to recognize warren’s impersonation as a racist act. everyone makes mistakes and i dont think she needs to resign in disgrace, but i think it has already sunk her candidacy.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #53
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovary View Post
the racism of both acts derives from impersonating an “other”; one with intent to mock and deride, one to fraudulently advance a white person’s career in a white and poweful profession.

i don’t think it’s useful to get into a “who is more racist” argument, but it is important to recognize warren’s impersonation as a racist act. everyone makes mistakes and i dont think she needs to resign in disgrace, but i think it has already sunk her candidacy.
Impersonation is a bizarre word choice.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #54
Eulogy
huh

It will only sink her candidacy if people treat it like Clinton’s fucking emails.

I hate this.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #55
Elphenor
Braindead

I thought it was no big deal, really typical thing lots of white people think they have significant native ancestry

but then she went into playing into Trump's trolling with the DNA test, and now I'm kinda like this would be a shitshow

Old 02-17-2019, 04:15 PM   #56
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Democrats have been opposed to unlimited pac spending forever. Citizens United was decided in 2010.
but it didn't seem to occur to them that it was a bad idea to accept legalized bribes

it was more "pragmatic" to lose at every single level of government in the country

was it at least fair when Warren criticised Democrats for this? Such as when she pointed out a specific instance where lobbyists appeared to have swayed Hillary to the detriment of consumers (go figure)

Old 02-17-2019, 07:29 PM   #57
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
but it didn't seem to occur to them that it was a bad idea to accept legalized bribes

it was more "pragmatic" to lose at every single level of government in the country

was it at least fair when Warren criticised Democrats for this? Such as when she pointed out a specific instance where lobbyists appeared to have swayed Hillary to the detriment of consumers (go figure)
What are you even talking about. The bankruptcy legislation that passed when Hillary Clinton didn’t hold elected office?

Still waiting for the amendment king examples btw.

And you don’t bring a knife to a gun fight. If it’s legal to take money you take what you can get.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:34 PM   #58
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I think that’s the thing about Hillary Clinton. She’s a good politician. Some people think good politicians are the best people to elect to the legislature. Some people think they are the worst people to elect to a legislature. I guess it depends on your own boundary for where pragmatism turns into soul selling

Old 02-17-2019, 07:36 PM   #59
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Because regardless of how the rest of the country or even her constituency are doing, all of us are cynical enough to say that politics has been good business for Hillary Clinton, financially

Old 02-17-2019, 07:41 PM   #60
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Because regardless of how the rest of the country or even her constituency are doing, all of us are cynical enough to say that politics has been good business for Hillary Clinton, financially
It has been for Bernie Sanders too