Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2019, 07:32 PM   #31
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

don't talk to corky.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:54 PM   #32
FoolofaTook

you are such a rampager, yo soy el major!

Old 01-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #33
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

oh christ... the virus is spreading!

Old 01-21-2019, 08:31 PM   #34
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
do you pronounce it yuber or uber
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
I rode in the back of a car with snacks and I didn't even take any. I didn't want to make noise when I opened the wrapper and sound like someone who just takes free food whenever. I didn't even take one to go since I figured they were meant to be eaten in the car by current riders. I did take a l'il water bottle that was offered, though.

Btw, I do not have a smart phone (or a cellphone at all for the last two months) and have to get in touch with Tim via however if I want an uber called, which he can put on my card. People pick me up and say "For Tim?" and I say ''Sort of". One time we ordered at a pizza counter and they asked us the name for the order and we both said "Tim" and then I said, "We're both named Tim."
I feel like if it was my full time job, i'd invest in snacks and such; but, for the first week working the minimal hours i do, minus gas it comes out to about $10/hr. Which ain't great, but it's fine for a part time job/walking around money i don't even really need.

Quote:
D. what's the most you've made from a single ride? not including tip.

Some people pay mad money to go 3 miles when the train would have been faster.
from my neighb to hobby airport, which is typically 45 mins with low traffic; but with traffic it was like almost an hour. we get paid a pittance for gas and time, so i think it came out to about $32? luckily i found a pickup on the way back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_soaker View Post
which scent of vent clip air freshener are you currently employing?
it's some strawberry thing you put under the seat; i had it before starting uber because i am a vacant vince and have more than once forgotten a trash bag in my trunk (intending to drop it on the way out of the apt complex)

Old 01-21-2019, 10:09 PM   #35
FoolofaTook

Old 01-21-2019, 10:44 PM   #36
cork_soaker
full of longing

paul mccartney rolling in his grave

Old 01-21-2019, 11:10 PM   #37
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Do you get a lot of high schoolers? In Singapore many kids even as young as 11 or 12 get Ubers on their own - they have the app on their phone, linked to their parents credit card, and then just book them when they need to come home from basketball training or whatever. But a lot of parents don’t drive in SG because it’s so expensive to have a car. So I wondered if it is the same in Houston...

Old 01-22-2019, 04:52 PM   #38
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Do you get a lot of high schoolers? In Singapore many kids even as young as 11 or 12 get Ubers on their own - they have the app on their phone, linked to their parents credit card, and then just book them when they need to come home from basketball training or whatever. But a lot of parents don’t drive in SG because it’s so expensive to have a car. So I wondered if it is the same in Houston...
I've taken two sets of high schoolers. One was a dude near.my kid's school who was going to a Jewish school a ways out.

And one was a three-person pickup. One of the young ladies had a kid so we stopped by the daycare and then their next stop was their high school (the same one V played in the soccer league last fall). Not sure why I was a little shocked to see a teenage mom but I was a little.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:52 PM   #39
D.
Consume my pants.

Those are the only two high school age peeps I've had thus far. Not sure how widespread it is for them to use Uber. I see a lot of kids walking tho.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:34 PM   #40
FoolofaTook

Run them over!

AHAHAHHAHAHAH!

Old 01-23-2019, 02:58 AM   #41
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

what’s your uber rating?

also, how does the app display it to you when you receive a tip? i tip frequently and i have no idea if the driver can tell if it was me that left the tip. sometimes i do it right after a ride, sometimes it’s a couple days later if i hadn’t opened the app until then

Old 01-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #42
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
what’s your uber rating?

also, how does the app display it to you when you receive a tip? i tip frequently and i have no idea if the driver can tell if it was me that left the tip. sometimes i do it right after a ride, sometimes it’s a couple days later if i hadn’t opened the app until then

But we'll see since I literally just got hit by someone. It's raining and Houston is already a terrible.place to drive in the best of weather. The passenger said she has no problem being my witness for ze cops report.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #43
D.
Consume my pants.

Oh, also, if you tip, it'll show a notification by my user pic. Click on that and it'll say "you've received such n such tip". And you can click on that to see which ride it was.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:37 PM   #44
Skradgee
Boardcaster

What's your strategy for tracking expenses for taxes?

Do you follow any driver blogs or vlogs?

Old 01-28-2019, 10:03 PM   #45
D.
Consume my pants.

Uber send out 1099's to its drivers. I doubt I'll make the 500 minimum, especially now that I'm out of commission. Someone hit me and, until the car gets fixed, I can't drive for Uber. For "safety reasons" which is kinda B.S. but whatevs.

I don't follow any blogs, but I do subscribe to two uber subreddits.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:26 PM   #46
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

you should try mturk. although it has a steep learning curve, there's money there.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:58 PM   #47
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

1. Are you serioux?
2. As Air New Zealand fly direct to Houston, have you had any Kiwis in the car?
3. If I come to Houston will you pick me up?

Old 01-31-2019, 10:16 AM   #48
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
1. Are you serioux?
2. As Air New Zealand fly direct to Houston, have you had any Kiwis in the car?
3. If I come to Houston will you pick me up?
Yes
No I did have someone with an accent but I couldn't place it.
OBVIOUSLY

Old 02-04-2019, 10:28 PM   #49
yo soy el mejor

were u hit while operating as an uber driver? nvm. i see that you were. does uber just step back and let you deal with your stuff? they don't sound v nice.

Last edited by yo soy el mejor : 02-05-2019 at 12:17 AM.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:58 AM   #50
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
were u hit while operating as an uber driver? nvm. i see that you were. does uber just step back and let you deal with your stuff? they don't sound v nice.
actually, surprisingly, uber has been kind of okay about it.

my personal vehicle insurance doesn't cover ride-sharing, but when you sign on to uber, you have insurance through them. so, i turned my car in to a dealer body shop and uber's insurance is going to go over the estimate with the body shop and me to see what's what.
i will have to pay a 1k deductible but apparently the other driver's insurance is going after him for that 1k because the damage (and i assume his changing story) shows it's his fault. so, i'll get reimbursed for the 1k but probably not for a while.

there are/were two open claims going at the same time. my uber insurance vs his insurance and then his insurance against him. or something. i dunno. all i know is that i'll pay 1k (and possibly get reimbursed) and be good to go again. i've been bummed having the driving thing taken away temporarily; it's fun 2 do part time.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:20 PM   #51
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
you should try mturk. although it has a steep learning curve, there's money there.
could you elaborate? is the money decent, what kind of work you do (i gather that there are many different kinds), etc.

assuming you do do it (hehhehheh), that is. did you quit the store

Old 02-06-2019, 03:17 AM   #52
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
could you elaborate? is the money decent, what kind of work you do (i gather that there are many different kinds), etc.

assuming you do do it (hehhehheh), that is. did you quit the store
i've made about $750 this year so far. I am still working at the store and I just got hired by Appen to do search engine evaluation for $11/hr, 15-26 hours per week.

tasks are stuff like surveys (academic, about brands, really anything), creative writing tasks (most recently a task I had was called "Write a creative description of an object from a medieval perspective"), copy editing/grammar stuff, talking to chat bots/AI/etc, bounding boxes/tracing objects, categorizing objects, website testing/review. all kinds of stuff. i can reliably make about $10 an hour, sometimes much more. nights are also variable, can be completely dead or if some batches of work drop it can be quite busy. days are more reliable, though. those medieval hits i made 40 cents and snatched up about 25 of them in 35 minutes or so. i also do surveys on prolific.ac and website testing on usertesting.com. also neevo.com has some tasks but they don't pay so great.

really, the work is easy. the hard part is getting the work while everyone else is trying to get it too. i bought two 24" monitors to help the workflow. i don't always use them and often just do misc stuff while playing around on the computer. but when i work seriously, like on days off, i use the monitors and sit at a desk. i made $45 today in about 5 hours. i kept zoning out while doing this boring ass "how clear are these sentences" HIT that had 50 sentences per task. i did like 15 of them at 1.20 a pop. they are 5-6 minutes each if you're focused

https://i.imgur.com/vuyWpYI.jpg?1

Last edited by reprise85 : 02-06-2019 at 03:27 AM.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:43 AM   #53
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
tasks are stuff like surveys (academic, about brands, really anything), creative writing tasks (most recently a task I had was called "Write a creative description of an object from a medieval perspective"), copy editing/grammar stuff, talking to chat bots/AI/etc, bounding boxes/tracing objects, categorizing objects, website testing/review. all kinds of stuff.
this sounds, all things considered, considerably easy. why did you mention a steep learning curve?

Old 02-07-2019, 12:07 AM   #54
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
this sounds, all things considered, considerably easy. why did you mention a steep learning curve?
the learning curve is learning the platform. most tasks are easy. some require thought, few require a lot of it. actually getting the work is the hard part, and there are all kinds of scripts and software that people use to find and acquire the work itself. so you need to learn the scripts, and no one is going to teach you (unless you know someone personally) because every person who learns it is now in competition for the limit pool of tasks. there are communities that help each other out but most of it has to be self-initiated, reading a lot and trying things to figure out what works. it is also very easy to trash your reputation by getting rejections early on, potentially rendering your account useless (and it's impossible to get a new one). many people blindly run into it and fuck up their account. you have a rejection percent and realistically below 98% acceptance will fuck you, and really below 99% will keep you from the best work. now that i've done 8,000 tasks a few rejections is no big deal (i have 11), but 11 rejections in the first 100 hits would be hard to overcome (not impossible). 50 in the first 100 would be extremely difficult. you could only do tasks that don't require a certain acceptance rate and those are 1. the shittiest paying and 2. likely rejection happy themselves.

Last edited by reprise85 : 02-07-2019 at 12:14 AM.