Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2018, 08:28 PM   #31
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
haha, I know! debating with myself if I should go or not, have tickets, but something snapped in me this year and part of me simply doesn't want to fill a seat for one of the praised "alt kings" on r/donald. It's one thing to still enjoy songs I loved for now 2/3 of my life, those I paid for a long, long time ago. It's different for me to show up and fill a seat in this day and age.

then again I am running out of my notorious tours to attend now. Sigur Ros dropped off the list like only last week so puh. There aren't that many RH tours that would fill my appetite for oldies concerts. Sucks to be a dinosaur sometimes!
yup yup yup. Well, I can say I really did enjoy the two TX Shiny shows I saw. Jimmy and James also kind of balance out Billy's ridiculousness.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:32 PM   #32
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I guess I'm disappointed that Swift won't denounce Trump but I also don't really think any artist or public person owes the public moral guidance or a political opinion, and I also don't really think it matters. Why does Justin Bieber (for example) telling us who he voted for actually make any difference? Our obsession with seeing our culture and understanding issues through the mouths and lives of celebrities is pretty misguided IMO. We are so fixated on seeing the issues of the day play out through famous people's drama... it's just another amazingly stupid distraction. I am just skeptical that there is one person in America who would actually benefit from hearing her try to talk about Donald Trump.

I kind of doubt she is a politically savvy person anyway, and if that is the case, I would rather her keep her mouth closed. And personally, I wish a lot of other celebrities would keep their mouths closed as well.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:33 PM   #33
redbreegull

remember back in the day when Billy Corgan was like, "I'm just a dumb rock guy and don't have the authority to tell people how to vote or what to think" ?

if you are just a dumb rock guy, I think that is actually the right attitude, and it's a big place where he went wrong

Old 10-04-2018, 08:36 PM   #34
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

dunno rbg, aren't you normally in the camp that currently no such thing as "just a political opinion" exists? so being commercially savvy enough to cater to both sides by being as wishy washy as possible is...somehow good if someone you adore does it? or do you prefer it she stays wishy washy before you get a confirmation that will somewhat ruin your adoration of her?

Old 10-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #35
Elphenor
Braindead

I don't need/want my favorite artists to be good people

though sometimes it's hard when they turn out extraordinarily dumb

Old 10-04-2018, 08:56 PM   #36
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I am just skeptical that there is one person in America who would actually benefit from hearing her try to talk about Donald Trump.

And personally, I wish a lot of other celebrities would keep their mouths closed as well.
It's called being a role model man. You seriously don't think her teeny bopper fans would take her words about how this country is getting raped to heart?

Also, if the message is the right one, why do you fucking care if it's a celebrity saying it or someone else? You sound like a conservative: "those hollywood libruls needa shut their mouths!"

Old 10-04-2018, 09:10 PM   #37
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
very difficultly, trust me. lots of nostalgia involved

at least he didn't vote for Trump (if he's to be believed).

at least he seems to promote peace/love/tolerance (when he's not literally on fucking infowars).

and of course, the songs are good and artistically respectable (widow wake my fucking mind and most of monuments aside)
Did swift vote for trump?? If you have this info plenty of people would be interested!

Do you also think beck deservedly beat Beyoncé for album of the year because fewer people worked on his album.

It just seems like a very juvenile way to look at a piece of work as a whole.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:17 PM   #38
Eulogy
huh

I also think an overlooked part of lwymmd is the vocal inflection on the very last “do.” Like she’s more self aware than she’s given credit for I think. Maybe I’m reading my own desired narrative into that but I really don’t think so.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:26 PM   #39
Graveflower
Pledge

Peace love a d tolerance except for trans women who are ugly heshe pigs who deserve to have every bone in their body broken

Old 10-04-2018, 09:40 PM   #40
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveflower View Post
Peace love a d tolerance except for trans women who are ugly heshe pigs who deserve to have every bone in their body broken
totally fair. trust me I ain't defending Corgs

Old 10-04-2018, 09:44 PM   #41
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
totally fair. trust me I ain't defending Corgs
But you’re ripping into rbg for enjoying an artist who has never said anything nearly that offensive. Can’t have it both ways here.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #42
D.
Consume my pants.

Man, I really like Blank Space tho

Old 10-04-2018, 10:44 PM   #43
Eulogy
huh

I’m a sucker for good vocal melodies and her best songs all have great ones.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:11 AM   #44
redbreegull

I don't get it guys. Taylor Swift is a huge 1% ultra capitalist. We all know this. You probably all still listen to the Smiths even though Morrissey is a big racist idiot and have lots of feels for him and his music. He can keep his mouth shut though for all I care. And Taylor Swift has never really said anything that was shockingly offensive like that. And she has spoken out consistently since the beginning of her career on feminism, although it's like Clinton-brand white feminism, it's not like she has been silent on any semblance of values at all.

If someone has something meaningful and valuable to say and is capable of saying it and being productive that's awesome but I don't pretend the burden is on multi million dollar capitalist class celebrity neoliberals to lead the discussion in america on social issues. I don't need to hear misguided Matt Damon try to explain why race is imaginary and we all need to come together, for instance. he can keep his mouth closed cause he's obviously dumb. even thinking these people are or should be role models is part of the problem. they are not really our friends any more than jeff bezos or elon musk. SpaceX is fucking amazing though. Same thing, as far as I can see.

Last edited by redbreegull : 10-05-2018 at 12:21 AM.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:23 AM   #45
redbreegull

I fundamentally agree that she should denounce Trump. A lot of kids unfortunately do grow up looking to people like this to be role models. but I don't think she is a Trump enabler by not publicly denouncing him.

she got only a tiny bit of press for going after that DJ who groped her. isn't that the example she is supposed to be setting?

Old 10-05-2018, 12:39 AM   #46
redbreegull

I also feel like this outrage is kind of selective. As you said, Neil Young liked Ronald Reagan. Taylor Swift has never expressed support for someone who was personal friends with Mobuto Sese Seko, as one out of about 10,000 possible examples. Is Neil Young a literally terrible awful evil person or does he just not know what the hell is talking about?

Old 10-05-2018, 02:25 AM   #47
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Yeah sorry gotta side with the swifties here. As a production nerd i enjoy a fair bit of high-budget pop music but I also find that her songwriting team generally hit the mark better than a lot of other units. Like yeah, it's made by focus groups and teams of people who don't put an iota of feeling into creating it and are just doing it via a series of algorithms calculated to make regular jackoffs feel some shit, but that's kinda *why* it's fun. It's not high art, but on the other hand who wants to listen to high art exclusively? That shit is downright tiring after a while, dawg.

It's like going to see a modern Star Wars movie: yeah it's for kids, yeah it's a soulless cash grab, of course it doesn't have any significant meaning and the plot makes no sense, but a lot of people put a lot of money and effort into making it easy and fun to watch, and that shows and is kind of a craft in and of itself. I can't watch fucken Haneke films or listen to primitive black metal 24/7 or i'll lose my mind. Sometimes I just wanna experience something fun and easy, and that particular brand of fun and easy has the types of baubles and CGI explosions i like. Not everything we consume in life has to matter.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:26 AM   #48
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

and re: the shitty personal politics thing, I don't pay for her music and I don't support it via streaming platforms, I download or unofficial youtube only. Same as I do with Burzum or WPC.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:12 AM   #49
Elphenor
Braindead

I kinda get that, but can't "art music" be fun, don't feel like sacrifices have to be made on an intellectual/creativity/originality basis to have fun music

I want it all yo

Old 10-05-2018, 05:16 AM   #50
Ram27
dumb

stop no stop

Last edited by Ram27 : 10-18-2018 at 04:22 PM.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #51
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
I kinda get that, but can't "art music" be fun, don't feel like sacrifices have to be made on an intellectual/creativity/originality basis to have fun music

I want it all yo

Old 10-05-2018, 07:47 AM   #52
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
and re: the shitty personal politics thing, I don't pay for her music and I don't support it via streaming platforms, I download or unofficial youtube only. Same as I do with Burzum or WPC.
So now we’re comparing TaylorSwift to Burzum, love it haha

Old 10-05-2018, 07:48 AM   #53
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I also feel like this outrage is kind of selective. As you said, Neil Young liked Ronald Reagan. Taylor Swift has never expressed support for someone who was personal friends with Mobuto Sese Seko, as one out of about 10,000 possible examples. Is Neil Young a literally terrible awful evil person or does he just not know what the hell is talking about?
Selective in response to what I saw on this board

Old 10-05-2018, 10:20 AM   #54
FoolofaTook

Old 10-05-2018, 11:34 AM   #55
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Whatever happened to separating art from the artist anyway? I mean I get not wanting to "fund" certain people so to speak, but often times the lines just seemed blurred now - I always had a tough time separating the two myself but it seemed like I was at least in the vast minority

Old 10-05-2018, 05:03 PM   #56
Eulogy
huh

Turdlion why u ignore my questions

Old 10-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #57
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
Whatever happened to separating art from the artist anyway? I mean I get not wanting to "fund" certain people so to speak, but often times the lines just seemed blurred now - I always had a tough time separating the two myself but it seemed like I was at least in the vast minority
It's definitely tough. I guess just choose which ones have the least worst views?

Old 10-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #58
D.
Consume my pants.

Also, just pirate their work if that helps ease ya conscious. I dunno.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:10 AM   #59
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
Turdlion why u ignore my questions
What question?

Old 10-06-2018, 08:26 AM   #60
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Smile

SHAKE IT OFF.