Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #211
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
The upcoming Spider-Man game looks really great. Too bad it's a PS4 exclusive and I won't be able to play it (I'm guessing Sony, who owns the movie license to the title, strong-armed Marvel/Disney into making the game exclusive to their platform as part of their movie license deal... that's just wild speculation, though). It looks like taking and refining the awesome swinging from Spider-Man 2, mixing it with Sunset Overdrive's parkour traversal, and throwing in Batman: Arkham-style combat and stealth, but with more flashy Spider-moves and environmental interaction (one gameplay video showed Spider-Man tossing some fools around, and then using his webbing to pull some scaffolding into them as they tried to advance on him). It looks like it may even edge out the Arkham games, but we'll see. Well, not me, I won't see. People with PS4s will see.

It seems like there's not a lot in the way of Spider-Man for Xbox anymore. None of the old games are compatible with the One. The only games on the One are the tie-ins for the Andrew Garfield movies, and those aren't even offered in the Xbox store anymore, so you'd have to buy a physical copy.

I thought I might download some of the older Spider-Man games (I never played any after Ultimate Spider-Man) for PC, but Steam doesn't offer them, either. And physical copies are super expensive on Amazon ($130 for Web of Shadows... why?).

I decided to just illegally download Web of Shadows, but it just wouldn't work and would give me an error dialog box any time I tried to start it up (and Googling around, it looks like this is a common problem for people). The gods don't want me playing Spider-Man, I guess.
Have you tried emulators?

for example PS2 has several Spiderman games

play them for free

Old 04-15-2018, 06:23 PM   #212
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Does anyone remember the Spider Man game for the first movie that came out in ~2001 for Gamecube/PS2? That was one of the first games where I remember thinking that the movement itself was fun. Swinging around and climbing up buildings was awesome and kind of unlike anything I had played before at that point

Old 04-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #213
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Oh yeah, I had the game for the first Spider-Man movie. I loved it as a kid, though I think the one for the second movie, with the free-roam and physics-based swinging where your webs actually anchor to buildings instead of just the sky, essentially made the first obsolete for me.

Though weirdly, the first one still had better graphics. And when you beat the game, you could play it again as the Green Goblin, with his glider and bombs and shit. That was awesome

Old 04-16-2018, 12:56 AM   #214
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Spidey 2 was where it was at. First time I ever felt someone realized the potential of what a free-roam game could do. I'd barely ever feel like fighting bad guys, just enjoyed swinging around the city and performing stunts.

The Mysterio fights were also bloody hilarious.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:55 AM   #215
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

I thought it was going to be a letdown stacked to the rafters with quicktime events but after watching the tech demo of the movement controls in action i'm actually starting to get pumped.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:58 AM   #216
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
hell yeah the original splinter cell is great. I played it 15 years ago or more and still remember how awesome all the sneaking around and silent kills were. it was definitely ahead of it's time. a game where you have to hide the bodies? mind blown
I got it for Christmas 2002 and my brother and I sat slackjawed in front of the TV for days on end even though we both sucked at it just admiring the lighting.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:27 AM   #217
redbreegull

fuuuuuck i am drunk and skyrim the complete edition for xbox1 was on sale for 20 dollars

Old 04-24-2018, 01:36 AM   #218
Elphenor
Braindead

playing through Paper Mario Thousand Year Door again

my first play through I was a wee lad and I remember it being super hard hitting for a Mario RPG

it's as every bit as good now as it was then I'm instantly hooked, anyone who hasn't played this game get yourself an unpissed on Gamecube and this game I'm telling you

Old 04-29-2018, 08:29 AM   #219
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
playing through Paper Mario Thousand Year Door again

my first play through I was a wee lad and I remember it being super hard hitting for a Mario RPG

it's as every bit as good now as it was then I'm instantly hooked, anyone who hasn't played this game get yourself an unpissed on Gamecube and this game I'm telling you
i wanna get that, gamecubes are wicked cheap right now. There’s a survival horror i wanna try on there too, plus never played wind waker

Right now binding of isaac’s kicking my ass on the switch. Only beat Mom once. Got killed in her womb by a decapitated baby’s head that was coughing spiders that spit blood at me

Old 05-02-2018, 11:42 AM   #220
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Have you tried emulators?

for example PS2 has several Spiderman games

play them for free
I downloaded a PS3 emulator, but I just couldn't understand how to run it, so I deleted it.

I am not a computer whiz.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #221
Elphenor
Braindead

well newer consoles are a bit trickier and will require your computer to have decent processing power but as long as you're using a desktop that shouldn't be a problem

I don't emulate anything past the PS2 and Gamecube so I can't really help, I just have a laptop

Old 05-02-2018, 06:00 PM   #222
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Care to recommend a good PS2 emulator? Got a hankering for some Silent Hill goodness.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:24 PM   #223
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

a ps2 is dirt cheap anyway, should be easy to pick a decent one up somewhere anyway, shadaloo.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:25 PM   #224
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Shadaloo.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:38 PM   #225
run2pee
Minion of Satan

I snagged silent hill 4 recently b/c somehow i traded my copy at one point probably for beer and/or drug $$$, b/c i can’t remember doing it

Game still sucks, but nice to have it again

Nothing will ever top silent hill 2 for me in the series, it seems, also love me some sh3

Old 05-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #226
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
a ps2 is dirt cheap anyway, should be easy to pick a decent one up somewhere anyway, shadaloo.
I have one, but I no longer have a CRT TV and older games just look like absolute shit on current screens. Also I need to record gameplay.

SH2 really is one of the best fucking games ever made. 1's pretty good and 3 is great but there's just something very special about 2. Everyone should experience it. 4 was...not supposed to even be an SH game and the less said about every other one after the better, barring the PH demo and what it was supposed to be.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:50 AM   #227
Shallowed
Braindead

I've been playing through Half Life over the weekend. This game is fucking difficult on a relentlessly unfair level. I've only tried playing it once or twice before but I gave up in frustration when the game punished me for going what I thought was the right way. This time around I somehow managed to reach the Xen stage. It wasn't without liberal references to a walkthrough to help with some obtuse puzzles.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #228
run2pee
Minion of Satan

So now I’m a space pirate robot cowboy engaging in tactical gun battles aboard other ppl’s ships, scouting for water to keep my steampowered motherboards alive. The art in Steamworld Heist is dark, detailed, gritty, yet cartoony somehow. It’s its own. Pulling off stunt shots that ricochet off the walls of a spaceship and into the back of some robotic goon‘s dumb noggin is so satisfying, it hurts. I like all the steamworlds but this is something special

Old 05-19-2018, 08:26 PM   #229
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i've been playing hexcells, hexcells plus, and hexcells infinite. puzzle game sorta like minesweeper but way more complex and interesting. got all 3 for less than $5, if you're a visual puzzle person you'll like it. it took me like 11 hours to perfect the first game and i haven't been able to finish the second one yet. you can 'miss' and still beat the levels but if you're guessing you're missing the point, you never have to guess, there's always a logic to the next possible move(s)

Old 05-19-2018, 10:50 PM   #230
Shallowed
Braindead

what the hex

Old 05-19-2018, 11:52 PM   #231
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Assassins creed origins, and Icewind dale on the iPad.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:29 PM   #232
Disco King
Minion of Satan

OMG I just learned that they are remastering the ORIGINAL SPYRO THE DRAGON TRILOGY.

Seeing as the original games were Sony, I immediately thought "ah, another PS4 exclusive I won't get to play." But then I read more. This shit's gonna be cross-platform, baby.

I've only played the second game, but it remains one of my favourite games of all time. I think remastering it makes sense. I feel like as this particular genre of gaming isn't in vogue anymore, any new entries into the series would have limited success. But people will be happy to relive their nostalgia and play the exact same game, now made available on a console they don't have to hunt down at a flea market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
Assassins creed origins, and Icewind dale on the iPad.
I downloaded and played a bit of Assassin's Creed II, the only Assassin's Creed game I've played so far.

When the fuck does it actually get good? Everything so far has been boring fetch quests. It feels like one of those interchangeable free-roam games. Have an open world, a bunch of people you can talk to who will tell you to run errands, and some goons to fight in between. Doesn't help that the controls are dogshit. Are the later entries any better? Do I just have to play further into II before it gets good?

Also, since I really dig the Arkham games and Splinter Cell games, I've decided to try my hand at more stealth games. Downloaded a couple Hitman games, as well as Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain.

I've heard Hitman: Blood Money is supposed to be good, but… I've only played the first level so far, and it's linear as shit (then again, it is the first level). The controls are kinda awkward (way too context-sensitive, and button mappings that don't match convention). And the graphics… I know this is a last-gen game, but it looks like an original Xbox game. Seriously, the old Splinter Cells have better graphics than this 360 game.

The Phantom Pain, I'm liking it, but just finding it way too hard (even died multiple times on the tutorial level). I'm only on the second mission, but I'm wondering if the game has got any gameplay pillars other than the stealth/infiltration stuff. It can't just be roaming around to a different outpost and sneaking in to get the objective, can it? There's gotta be other shit they have you do.

Also, I tried to read up on the story behind the Metal Gear franchise, and what the fuck? Why is everyone named "Snake?" And the guy I'm playing in this one is the bad guy in the first one? And what's with that one game that seems to have totally different characters and be a totally different genre that spawned that unfunny /v/ "nanobots, son" meme? How is that in any way related to the rest of this shit? I swear, every single character changes their name several times, some have multiple names, and many of them have the same name. And then there are clones and body doubles and shit. This is probably how normies feel when I try to explain superhero comics to them.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #233
redbreegull

I said I wouldn't do this to myself, but I am now 75 hours into my second play-through of Skyrim. I'm a Breton who started as a stealthy pickpocket, having been a pilgrim to Skyrim in order to join the Thieves Guild. Soon my innate inclination towards the supernatural arts became apparent, and after restoring the Guild and pledging my immortal soul to Nocturnal, I traveled to the Mage's College to hone the crafts of my true calling. I am currently rushing back to the College from Labrynthian with the Staff of Magnus in order to halt the Thalmor plot unspooling there.

I'm not even sure what I will do next. I may sit out Dark Brotherhood or simply destroy them, because I don't feel they really jive with my character this time around. I have been trying to change most of my choices from my first game, but I still don't think I can fight for the Stormcloaks. Right now I am thinking the best course of action for the greatest good would be to put down the uprising and reunite Skyrim under the Empire (which it has ALWAYS been a part of), and then systematically drive the Thalmor out of Skyrim. I've already been waging a low-level guerilla campaign against them, ambushing their parties in the wild when I happen across them.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:02 PM   #234
redbreegull

where is Donald Trump to renegotiate the white gold concordat

Old 05-25-2018, 03:38 PM   #235
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

They're probably announcing the next Mortal Kombat tomorrow. Excited as hell

Old 05-25-2018, 05:53 PM   #236
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i started playing elder scrolls 4 for the first time. i liked 3 but i can't keep playing it, controls are too tedious and lack of any kind of quick travel kills it. i made a breton thief/mage type

Old 05-25-2018, 06:48 PM   #237
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Is that friekin morrowind or what

Where the elves live and everything, or what

Old 05-25-2018, 06:55 PM   #238
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

3 is morrowind. with the dark elf peoples. 4 is oblivion

Old 05-25-2018, 06:57 PM   #239
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Ah kickass i played the heck outta oblivion. Tried going back to it recently after a big skyrim binge, and found it difficult to get back into after the dumb’d down interface, controls and stuff from s’rim. Plus the way it zooms in on ppls weird ugly faces when they talk at you

But i really wanna play it again, the music is soooooo friekin excellent in there

Old 05-25-2018, 07:01 PM   #240
yo soy el mejor

we recently acquired gran turismo but i can only play a few rounds at a time. the races can be up to 5 laps long and it can get monotonous real quick-like.

meanwhile i can play 30 minute rounds of katamari no problem. i just busted that out again last night.

i wish tim liked to play dancing with the stars.