Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2002, 08:17 PM   #31
Woody

This is slightly embarrassing.

In 1996, I heard 'Tonight Tonight' on Top of the Pops (UK music show). I was in awe. I thought how amazing the song was, but was stunned that they had this really shitty singer.
Anyways, I remember seeing the single, and the album (limited edition box. Which I didnt fucking get) in a local record shop. Oh how i wish I had bought the album. But I didn't. Being rather dumb and foolish I considered the album to be too 'heavy' for me (based on a small clip of 'Zero' I had heard).

Yes, I was 14 at this time. Embarrassingly, I was ignorant of all things music.

Cue December 99. 3 years later. My musical knowledge at this point vastly expanded, I get Napster. Whilst talking to my mate about which song to d/l next, I remember the song 'Tonight', though the name of the band escaped me (Hard to believe, I know).
to cut a long story short...I d/l lots of SP songs after that, and thereafter bought all the albums and anything SP related I could get my hands on. Oh, and I also learned that the lead singer wasn't shit.

There. Now my dirty little secret is out.

------------------
no bodies ever knew, no bodies felt like you.

Old 04-27-2002, 10:22 PM   #32
Graveflower

Thumbs down

It made me cry by the way. (I was 10, forgive me)

Old 04-27-2002, 11:33 PM   #33
Ensoul

I saw 'Today' on Saturday Night Live. I thought they were pretty good. I then saw the Tonight, Tonight video on MTV2 and the song rocked and it remains my favorite song of all time.

Old 04-28-2002, 12:12 AM   #34
nickis

Zero.

I remember in maybe 5th grade, my older brother borrowed MCIS from a friend and I can recall sitting on his bed listening to Zero and Tonight, Tonight and flipping through the liner notes. I really liked them, and eventually I listened to all of the first disc and loved it all, but for some idiotic reason (I was in 5th grade remember) I never even bothered to try the second disc except for 1979 once in a while. So anyway I was infatuated with that first disc for quite a while, Adore came out and my brother bought it but I never really cared for it much and I lost interest about there. I didn't pay attention when Machina came out or even know when they broke up, but then a little more than a year ago my brother (who I'm on the same network with) shared his harddrive and I was browsing through his MP3s. I found MCIS and not wanting to rip it for myself, copied it to my own harddrive. Now being significantly less moronic than I was in 5th grade, I listened to the second disc all the way through and found that I loved it every bit as much as the first, and decided I must acquire more from this band I had neglected for so long. From there I found all the other great music that existed and I was hooked, and here I am today. I still kick myself for knowing about SP much earlier but just sort of letting my interest dwindle, and then getting into them a few months after they break up. I have very poor timing I suppose.

Old 04-28-2002, 11:57 AM   #35
metal machine

bwbw. i found myself singing on that song, even though i hadn't heard it for a long while, and didn't notice it when i did. so i checked out the cd. and it kind of kicked everything else i knew's ass.

Old 04-28-2002, 03:41 PM   #36
Salena Child

i first heard drown in 1993 and had no idea who it was or the name of the song. i fell in love with it and use to wait for hours for it to come on the radio.
one day i decided to call the radio station and ask. i sang the song to the dj. he told me it was the pumpkins.
later i discovered that the killer in me is the killer in you song (disarm) and that today song was the same band. i thought all of those songs were awesome too.
i became addicted. thats my little story. that is all.

Old 04-28-2002, 05:19 PM   #37
CandyPotter

First SP song that I heard (saw): Siva on 120 minutes. I was either 14 or 15. I thought they were freaks. At that point in my life, though, if it didn't involve Robert Smith or Martin Gore, or Morrissey, I just didn't give a shit.

First SP song that made me buy an SP album (tape): Disarm. I think this directly coincided with the beginning my obsession with The Beautiful South.

Pisces Iscariot: Back in the day, Big Rick Stewart at Live 105 would play the cover of Landslide just to taunt people. Like, nah nah, it's import only! I think in 1994 I convinced myself that it must be on this bside CD called Pisces Iscariot. When I discovered it didn't, the CD stayed in my glove box, for, I swear, something on the order of 2 years. I only started listening to it after MCIS.

Old 04-29-2002, 03:07 AM   #38
Siamese Dreamer

It's funny becuase I try and remeber this and can't.... Why did I have to kill all those brain cells??

I recently thought that it was Tonight Tonight, the first time I went home to Canada and I was in the rockies with my childhood best friend and we were listening to it, an coincedently, the little town I lived in was on the shore of this real big lake... so now when I hear "in your city by the lake, the place where you were born" I almost cry becuase it is so like my life!!!

but I know I heard Today and Disarm b4 that so I have been a fan scince I was like....10 or something

------------------

Nothing Left To Say,
And All I've Left 2 Do,
Is Run away From U

Old 05-02-2002, 04:28 PM   #39
smashingjj

I'm a late bloomer too. hmm...the first song I ever heard of them was 1979. that and tonight i thought were awesome. but the first album I bought by SP was Adore, and after quite a while it got me hooked.

people told me it was an album with only ballads on it. lol... after hearing it a few times in music stores I found out it wasn't, but some songs made it worth buying it. now it's maybe my favourite SP album.

------------------
Mallow

http://www.director-file.com/cunningham/5226.jpg

Old 05-02-2002, 04:51 PM   #40
Digital Grey

Plume and Starla the year PI came out.

niggaaz

/Max

Old 05-02-2002, 06:20 PM   #41
CandyPotter

Quote:
Originally posted by Siamese Dreamer:
It's funny becuase I try and remeber this and can't
Ow.

Old 05-03-2002, 04:28 AM   #42
whiteSPider

Thumbs up

long story short...1994: on vacation in new jersey, my cousin mentioned lollopalooza with the pumpkins headlining. i got home around the time of my birthday and right when i turned the radio on, it was spaceboy...and i thought it was disarm...and then when i got siamese dream for my birthday, it was the entire album...thank you pumpkins!

xoxo
r o b y n* 2002

------------------
"others conquered love but i ran. i sat in my room and i drew up a plan"

›‹{`;´}›‹

IM:XoPumpkiNGurLoX

Old 05-03-2002, 08:44 AM   #43
liquid slide

Exclamation

mine was today, i remember being 10 and seeing the video of this weird guy driving round in an ice cream truck in the middle of the desert. of course the thing i loved about the song was the intro

------------------
the aeroplane moves whether you want it to or not. cram packed with fuel injected jet missile action, this is war motherfucker and don't you forget it for one second.

Old 05-03-2002, 11:49 AM   #44
Frankie Machine

I was breaking up with my bf, driving aimlessly late at night, depressed. Muzzle came on the radio and I stopped crying and fighting in my head to listen to the song. It was like...ahhhhh, yes. There's something better than this mess I'm in.

It's hard to describe in words.

[This message has been edited by Frankie Machine (edited 05-03-2002).]