Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What score do you give this album?
10/10 This album is perfection. 1 0.94%
9/10 Pretty amazing 4 3.77%
8/10 Strong, but let down by a few small issues 7 6.60%
7/10 Solid effort, but slightly lacking. 24 22.64%
6/10 Just above average. 10 9.43%
5/10 Average album. Some great moments, some not. 18 16.98%
4/10 Below average. A few good tracks, mostly awful 17 16.04%
3/10 Just, whatever. 9 8.49%
2/10 Mostly awful. 7 6.60%
1/10 Unlistenable 8 7.55%
0/10 Go sit in a corner and rethink your life. 1 0.94%
Spaced / I hate polls. 0 0%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2018, 01:49 AM   #451
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
holy shit never heard anyone say this. his 1973-76 material is some of the greatest music of all time. blood on the tracks is one of the greatest albums ever recorded. Dylan is dylan for a reason.
i think sometimes i look/listen for different things than a lot of people do when i listen to music. i've accepted that i usually diverge from general consensus on a lot of things. i tend to listen for good melodies and hooks and his 60's stuff is full of it; but then he goes into this blues-y rock thing and i fuckin' haaate blues rock and then the absolute boring christian records and then by the 90's/2000's it's just terrible slow numbers with nothing about them that drone on for 4+ minutes.

but this usually happens with older, classic artists. they've put out so much and usually half of it is bullshit. elvis costello is a good example of this, as well as glen campbell.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:58 AM   #452
pinetree
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
your mother is your mother for a reason
shouldn't you be somewhere giving thom york a rimmy. sometimes I question naming you as my favorite current netphorian

Old 11-17-2018, 02:01 AM   #453
myosis
Minion of Satan

he was already revered in the 60's with many albums and the basement tapes
+
blood on the tracks
desire

+ solid 90's/00's albums
time out of mind
modern times
together through life

i don't actually get your claims.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:03 AM   #454
pinetree
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
he was already revered in the 60's with many albums and the basement tapes
+
blood on the tracks
desire

+ solid 90's/00's albums
time out of mind
modern times
together through life

i don't actually get your claims.
so true...he had amazing records in 75..76..86...89...also loved the early 90s acoustic covers records. ..and of course the 3 records starting from 1997 through 2006...so so good

Old 11-17-2018, 02:10 AM   #455
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Question

Quote:
he was already revered in the 60's.
i wasn't even born then, man.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:13 AM   #456
myosis
Minion of Satan

that's the thing, i don't understand questioning why someone is revered for some albums in the 60's... he happened to accomplish very much in those 60's alone. so his fame was cemented right then. he could have died in that supposed motorcycle accident in '66 and he would still be very much revered today.
why is kurt cobain revered? only made 3 albums.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:16 AM   #457
FoolofaTook

why is foolofatook revered?

god only knows.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:33 AM   #458
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
that's the thing, i don't understand questioning why someone is revered for some albums in the 60's... he happened to accomplish very much in those 60's alone. so his fame was cemented right then. he could have died in that supposed motorcycle accident in '66 and he would still be very much revered today.
why is kurt cobain revered? only made 3 albums.
Reverence is a weird thing. I generally don't like it.

I mean, im not a big Cobain dude but if he hadn't died and just went on to make 30+ boring records, yeah, he probably would still be revered but probably to a lesser degree? I dunno.

And that's not to say I don't find a handful of post 60s Dylan tunes worth listening to, I just don't understand his god status.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:38 AM   #459
D.
Consume my pants.

Generally, I view artists who make a huge impact in a period of time (say, with a groundbreaking album that captures the zeitgeist or whatever) and then follow that with mediocre bullshit kind of like the kids who peaked in high school.

Yeah you were amazing at football Chad and I'm sure you broke some records but no one needs to keep worshipping you 50+ mediocre years later.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:19 AM   #460
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
because it's an ep by real world standards. machina had 15 songs...that's an LP.
soniclovenoize already dealt with this, i'll just say that by previous SP standards of long albums (Monuments the exception) this is short. By real world standards, 8 songs over 30+ minutes is an LP.

Quote:
Bollys 8 short tracks are an EP. he wants it to be an album because that gets more headlines.
Makes no sense, he wanted to release EPs, I believe the label pushed the album idea.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:22 AM   #461
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
KoL isn't my favorite Radiohead album, but it might be my most played Radiohead album. The way it's constructed is just fucking great. That album itself is more inventive than anything Corgan has released in the last decade.
I like it, it's a bit of a minor effort though. Some of the songs that didn't make the final cut would've enhanced it.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:26 AM   #462
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
one time i left amnesiac in the cd player. my dad found and listened to it.

later he told me it was satanic.

LOL

Things suddenly became a whole lot clearer.

We don't do Satan or Christianity in the UK, always find this a puzzling aspect of US culture.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:28 AM   #463
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crepe View Post
Even Pablo honey
It's a weak effort. Their growth was astounding.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:30 AM   #464
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
I was wondering when the song was gonna start.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:34 AM   #465
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
dylan never made a solid album outside of the 60's tbh and i don't get why he's so revered. yes, this is a hill on which i'm willing to die.
Sorry man but this is a nonsensical statement.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:23 AM   #466
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenewRevive View Post
soniclovenoize already dealt with this, i'll just say that by previous SP standards of long albums (Monuments the exception) this is short. By real world standards, 8 songs over 30+ minutes is an LP.

Makes no sense, he wanted to release EPs, I believe the label pushed the album idea.

Regarding the LP thing - I think it’s pretty clear that a lot of what Billy does is predicated on what he thinks will make him big league again. This is not a man who wants to play theatres. I think he feels like he tried the old-school album approach on Oceania and it wasn’t successful, so now so he’s trying this shorter method to see if it’s more accessible. Unfortunately this second guessing is very frustrating as a fan as that’s where he makes choices that actively hurt the music in order to reclaim popularity, like pushing the vocals super loud (gotta compete on the radio at the highest level!)

Obviously Monuments completely flopped trying a format with more brevity, so it will be interesting to see if this one with the reformation angle will chart higher. It certainly is more interesting than the “Rick loved every song!!” sales pitch which is getting quite old.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:27 AM   #467
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
dylan never made a solid album outside of the 60's tbh and i don't get why he's so revered. yes, this is a hill on which i'm willing to die.
Blood on the Tracks?

Old 11-17-2018, 07:33 AM   #468
pinetree
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaguitar View Post
Blood on the Tracks?
legendary record, in my top 10 all time

Old 11-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #469
myosis
Minion of Satan

i guess i'm getting used to people making statements about Dylan without really knowing most of his work

Old 11-17-2018, 12:38 PM   #470
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I was wondering when the song was gonna start.
it's just an album intro

Old 11-17-2018, 12:39 PM   #471
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
It's a weak effort. Their growth was astounding.
i believe that Pablo Honey was a strong effort, and their growth was astounding.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #472
redbreegull

Quote:
because it's an ep by real world standards. machina had 15 songs...that's an LP. frank zappas hot rats had 6 songs but two are 9 minutes long and one is like 16 minutes long. that's an LP.
8 songs is not an EP

Old 11-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #473
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaguitar View Post
Blood on the Tracks?
I am willing to give a listen to the album again but with the tracks just released, how he had "intended to make it", apparently.

Quote:
i guess i'm getting used to people making statements about Dylan without really knowing most of his work
I had this job in a warehouse and we could listen to music on our earbuds or whatever. Went through his whole discography over the course of about a month, I think it was?

I stand by my statements and I respect him I guess for being a pioneer but that's about it.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:05 PM   #474
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Lightbulb

Quote:
it's just an album intro
Aha!

Old 11-17-2018, 05:16 PM   #475
FoolofaTook

Quote:

Things suddenly became a whole lot clearer.

We don't do Satan or Christianity in the UK, always find this a puzzling aspect of US culture.
my dad is a bosnian of the serbian strain.

and believe me, there are psycho christians in the UK too. they are everywhere, like AIDS.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #476
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Blood On The Tracks... Desire... Infidels... Oh Mercy... Time Out of Mind... Love and Theft...

Old 11-18-2018, 11:05 AM   #477
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I like it, it's a bit of a minor effort though. Some of the songs that didn't make the final cut would've enhanced it.
It's a "minor effort" only because it's short. iirc, they recorded the whole album, then each band member deconstructed their parts and sampled themselves, rebuilding their own parts. Very time consuming.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #478
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Art Rioter View Post
Obviously Monuments completely flopped trying a format with more brevity, so it will be interesting to see if this one with the reformation angle will chart higher. It certainly is more interesting than the “Rick loved every song!!” sales pitch which is getting quite old.
Well, I'd say it absolutely flopped because of what it was (or wasn't). Not because of it's brevity.

Honestly, the brevity thing makes the most sense. I agree with him in that the album format is going out of vogue, and that the larger trend is that people consume new music in smaller chunks. They consume it, and move on to the next thing. Why bother with 60 minutes of music, if only the top half is going to be evaluated? Just split it into two 30 minute things. Otherwise that bottom half is essentially wasted.

What if Monuments was a 60 minute album? Would you (or anyone else) really sit through that shit? Fuck that.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:55 PM   #479
myosis
Minion of Satan

60 minute albums came in the 90's with the popularity of CDs. it was a big fad because suddenly you could have more music in one go without impacting the sound quality. then everyone had to catch up to the fad. but it often produced overlong and overbloated albums.

now the CD format is pretty much dying. no need for 60+ minute albums anymore.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:03 PM   #480
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
What if Monuments was a 60 minute album? Would you (or anyone else) really sit through that shit? Fuck that.
If Oceania and MtaE were interwoven like a double album it might have felt a bit like MCIS, not in terms of musical quality, but in terms of bouncing back and forth between brooding, spacey tracks, and light pop tracks. Then the light fluffiness of the MtaE tracks could have served as a counter point to the weight of the Oceania tracks, rather than either one being the main course on their respective albums.