Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
barden
Braindead
 
barden's Avatar
 
Location: The Ghetto
Posts: 19,613
Default Why do Americans consider a 'bare handed' catch in baseball impressive?

?

 
barden is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
barden
Braindead
 
barden's Avatar
 
Location: The Ghetto
Posts: 19,613
Default

do really good baseball players have trouble catching without a glove cause you're basically taught to miss, by catching with that part of your hand that doesn't exist? So when they catch one without a glove on people are like, 'woah'.

 
barden is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
FoolofaTook
Immortal
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Posts: 25,669
Default

Phoenix Suns president and CEO Rick Welts, in an effort to breach what he sees as the tiptoed-around topic of homosexuality in men's team sports, recently met with friends, associates and a newspaper reporter to reveal he is gay.

Welts, believed to be the first man in a prominent position in men's sports who has declared his homosexuality, says he wants to now mentor other gay people who seek to pursue a career in sports, according to The New York Times.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...ticleLarge.jpg

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
barden
Braindead
 
barden's Avatar
 
Location: The Ghetto
Posts: 19,613
Default

how arrogant to assume he's one of the first? All these people are gay:
John Amaechi, basketball
Judith Arndt, cycling
Billy Bean, baseball
Chris Bergland, triathlon
Geert Blanchart, speed skating
Carol Blazejowski, basketball
Glenn Burke, baseball
Ryan Carrillo, skating
Mark Chatfield, swimming
Carin Clonda, squash
Chad Conley, figure skating
Robert Costello, equestrian
Scott Cranham, diving
Mike Crosby, water polo
John Curry, figure skating
John Damien, jockey
Chris Dickerson, bodybuilder
Dora Dome, basketball
Robert Dover, equestrian
Nancy Drolet, hockey
Michelle Dumaresque, mountain biking
Justin Fashanu, soccer
Rudy Galindo, figure skating
Ed Gallagher, football
Ramona Gatto, kickboxing
Missy Giove, mountain biking
Billy Glover, running
Andrew Goldstein, lacrosse
Jordan Goldwarg, skiing
Gina Guidi, boxing
Matthew Hall, figure skating
Matthew Hall, Australian rules football
Bruce Hayes, swimming
Andrew Holder, swimming
Drew Holland, rowing
Savoy Howe, boxing
Ryan Hunka, figure skating
Billy Innes, stock car racing
Patrick Jeffrey, diving
Corey Johnson, football
Rosie Jones, golf
Charles Jones, boxing
Orlando Jordan, wrestling
Chris Kanyon, wrestling
Peter Karlsson, ice hockey
Johan Kenkhuis, swimming
Pirinya Kiatbusaba, kickboxing
Billie Jean King, tennis
Dave Kopay, football
Alex Kostich, swimming
Mark Leduc, boxing
Ilana Lobet, cycling
Greg Louganis, diving
Brian Marshall, track & field
Doug Mattis, figure skating
Ryan Miller, snowboarding
Jen Moore, softball
Chris Morgan, powerlifting
Martina Navratilova, tennis
Jack Nelson, skiing
Rob Newton, track and field
Brian Orser, figure skating
Bob Paris, bodybuilding
Pat Patterson, wrestling
Jon Pauole, swimming, triathlon
Derrick Peterson, track & field
David Pichler, diving
Peter Prijdekker, swimming
Ryan Quinn, skiing
Ian Roberts, rugby
****** Ruffin, basketball
Gunther Seidel, equestrian
Patty Sheehan, golf
Roy Simmons, football
Jimmy Sjodin, diving
Dwight Slater, football
Jerry Smith, football
Muffin Spencer-Devlin, golf
Ryan Stevens, figure skating
Sheryl Swoopes, basketball
Mark Tewksbury, swimming
Brandon Triche, gymnastics
Esera Tuaolo, football
Edward Van Campen, figure skating
Michele Van Gorp, basketball
Dan Veatch, swimming
Lisa-Marie Vizaniari, track & field
Tom Waddell, decathlon
Karrie Webb, golf
Mark Welsh, triathlon
Diane Whipple, lacrosse
Sue Wicks, basketball
Aylssa Wykes, football
Andrea Zimbardi, softball

 
barden is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #5
barden
Braindead
 
barden's Avatar
 
Location: The Ghetto
Posts: 19,613
Default

and that list is 3 years old.

 
barden is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will
 
sppunk's Avatar
 
Location: Fenway Park
Posts: 37,093
Default

Because a baseball is often traveling 100+ mph when people cheer it was caught with one hand.

 
sppunk is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!
 
MyOneAndOnly's Avatar
 
Location: "You are the poster child for an uninformed brainwashed American" -OmegaConcern
Posts: 20,637
Default

those balls travel so fast, and are so hard, that getting hit with one can break just about any bone in the human body. thats why batters wear helmets. Pitchers have had their legs broken by balls hit directly at them.

 
MyOneAndOnly is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth
 
killtrocity's Avatar
 
Location: POLLOS
Posts: 8,692
Default


 
killtrocity is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord
 
duovamp's Avatar
 
Location: heavy metal pool party
Posts: 35,149
Default

I didn't know anything in baseball was considered impressive.

 
duovamp is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
samuel redman
Apocalyptic Poster
 
samuel redman's Avatar
 
Location: You're 22 why aren't you free?You're 22 why aren't you free? you're mom and daddy's victory
Posts: 4,877
Default

don't be an idiot

 
samuel redman is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #11
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barden View Post
and that list is 3 years old.
yeah and none of those people own teams so you didn't prove anything

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #12
ilikeplanets
Socialphobic
 
ilikeplanets's Avatar
 
Location: Ignore List
Posts: 12,979
Default

CUZ ITS FUCKIN MANLY.

 
ilikeplanets is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #13
samuel redman
Apocalyptic Poster
 
samuel redman's Avatar
 
Location: You're 22 why aren't you free?You're 22 why aren't you free? you're mom and daddy's victory
Posts: 4,877
Default

drop dead

 
samuel redman is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #14
Sarcastic Smile
Amish Rake Fighter
 
Sarcastic Smile's Avatar
 
Location: I fuck in my spare time, this is what I do at work you dumb bitch.-esty
Posts: 3,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppunk View Post
Because a baseball is often traveling 100+ mph when people cheer it was caught with one hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
those balls travel so fast, and are so hard, that getting hit with one can break just about any bone in the human body. thats why batters wear helmets. Pitchers have had their legs broken by balls hit directly at them.
These in addition to the fact that your hand is about 1/4 the surface area of a glove by. But yeah, a regular pop up that has lost velocity isn't that impressive.. It really depends on the hit. If you have even been hit with a baseball you can see why it would be impressive, and that's not even at a major league level.

Also if you catch it the wrong way in your hand your can easily break any of the bones or at the least cause yourself extreme pain

 
Sarcastic Smile is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #15
Sarcastic Smile
Amish Rake Fighter
 
Sarcastic Smile's Avatar
 
Location: I fuck in my spare time, this is what I do at work you dumb bitch.-esty
Posts: 3,672
Default

Ehh I don't know if I articulated that last part right

 
Sarcastic Smile is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #16
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship
 
Nimrod's Son's Avatar
 
Location: in your butt
Posts: 72,959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barden View Post
do really good baseball players have trouble catching without a glove cause you're basically taught to miss, by catching with that part of your hand that doesn't exist? So when they catch one without a glove on people are like, 'woah'.
It's because it has to be done one-handed, with a very hard ball travelling at high speed

 
Nimrod's Son is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #17
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship
 
Nimrod's Son's Avatar
 
Location: in your butt
Posts: 72,959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barden View Post
how arrogant to assume he's one of the first? All these people are gay:
John Amaechi, basketball
Judith Arndt, cycling
Billy Bean, baseball
Chris Bergland, triathlon
Geert Blanchart, speed skating
Carol Blazejowski, basketball
Glenn Burke, baseball
Ryan Carrillo, skating
Mark Chatfield, swimming
Carin Clonda, squash
Chad Conley, figure skating
Robert Costello, equestrian
Scott Cranham, diving
Mike Crosby, water polo
John Curry, figure skating
John Damien, jockey
Chris Dickerson, bodybuilder
Dora Dome, basketball
Robert Dover, equestrian
Nancy Drolet, hockey
Michelle Dumaresque, mountain biking
Justin Fashanu, soccer
Rudy Galindo, figure skating
Ed Gallagher, football
Ramona Gatto, kickboxing
Missy Giove, mountain biking
Billy Glover, running
Andrew Goldstein, lacrosse
Jordan Goldwarg, skiing
Gina Guidi, boxing
Matthew Hall, figure skating
Matthew Hall, Australian rules football
Bruce Hayes, swimming
Andrew Holder, swimming
Drew Holland, rowing
Savoy Howe, boxing
Ryan Hunka, figure skating
Billy Innes, stock car racing
Patrick Jeffrey, diving
Corey Johnson, football
Rosie Jones, golf
Charles Jones, boxing
Orlando Jordan, wrestling
Chris Kanyon, wrestling
Peter Karlsson, ice hockey
Johan Kenkhuis, swimming
Pirinya Kiatbusaba, kickboxing
Billie Jean King, tennis
Dave Kopay, football
Alex Kostich, swimming
Mark Leduc, boxing
Ilana Lobet, cycling
Greg Louganis, diving
Brian Marshall, track & field
Doug Mattis, figure skating
Ryan Miller, snowboarding
Jen Moore, softball
Chris Morgan, powerlifting
Martina Navratilova, tennis
Jack Nelson, skiing
Rob Newton, track and field
Brian Orser, figure skating
Bob Paris, bodybuilding
Pat Patterson, wrestling
Jon Pauole, swimming, triathlon
Derrick Peterson, track & field
David Pichler, diving
Peter Prijdekker, swimming
Ryan Quinn, skiing
Ian Roberts, rugby
****** Ruffin, basketball
Gunther Seidel, equestrian
Patty Sheehan, golf
Roy Simmons, football
Jimmy Sjodin, diving
Dwight Slater, football
Jerry Smith, football
Muffin Spencer-Devlin, golf
Ryan Stevens, figure skating
Sheryl Swoopes, basketball
Mark Tewksbury, swimming
Brandon Triche, gymnastics
Esera Tuaolo, football
Edward Van Campen, figure skating
Michele Van Gorp, basketball
Dan Veatch, swimming
Lisa-Marie Vizaniari, track & field
Tom Waddell, decathlon
Karrie Webb, golf
Mark Welsh, triathlon
Diane Whipple, lacrosse
Sue Wicks, basketball
Aylssa Wykes, football
Andrea Zimbardi, softball
OK so first you throw out the women, because there's no stigma being a gay woman athlete. That's not what we're talking about.

Then throw out all of the athletes from non-macho sports, like golf, or the Olympics.

Next, throw out everyone who wasn't even close to being a star.

That leaves: nobody.

 
Nimrod's Son is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #18
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow
 
Future Boy's Avatar
 
Posts: 26,980
Default

I would say actively playing when coming out would top being a star. Has there been an active player in any of the big three: MLB NFL NBA?

 
Future Boy is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #19
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will
 
sppunk's Avatar
 
Location: Fenway Park
Posts: 37,093
Default

Mike Piazza! Oh wait.

 
sppunk is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #20
cork_soaker
full of longing
 
cork_soaker's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,526
Default

it would certainly leave an impression on me

 
cork_soaker is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #21
AndySlash

 
AndySlash's Avatar
 
Posts: 20,230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
OK so first you throw out the women, because there's no stigma being a gay woman athlete. That's not what we're talking about.

Then throw out all of the athletes from non-macho sports, like golf, or the Olympics.

Next, throw out everyone who wasn't even close to being a star.

That leaves: nobody.

also, he doesn't play pro sports, he's a pro sports executive outing himself while active in that job. but let's not confuse ol' barden here with facts when he's pigeonholing arguments.

Last edited by AndySlash : 05-16-2011 at 07:12 PM.

 
AndySlash is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #22
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

Seriously, this is a thread about "What's so impressive about catching a spherical rock-hard object, hit with tremendous velocity, with one gloveless hand?"

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 05-16-2011 at 10:08 PM.

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #23
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

i dunno barden what's so impressive about beefy dudes tackling each other without pads.

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #24
FlyinLo_DyinSlo
Ownz
 
Posts: 636
Default

it's because we dont throw like girls

 
FlyinLo_DyinSlo is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #25
Dead Frequency
Minion of Satan
 
Dead Frequency's Avatar
 
Location: They don't know who did it, but they're looking for hardened criminals
Posts: 5,956
Default

Dennis rodman was pretty gay

 
Dead Frequency is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 11:30 PM   #26
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,386
Default

Barden has the composure of the kid whose parents forced him to do ballet while all his friends learnt karate.

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #27
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic
 
Ol' Couch Ass's Avatar
 
Location: The Filthy South
Posts: 11,156
Default

What's so impressive about getting a bunch of bored, drugged out kids together in a room to listen to some shitty band?

 
Ol' Couch Ass is offline
Old 05-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #28
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

What the fuck is so impressive about catching a soccer ball guys?

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 05-17-2011, 02:14 AM   #29
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth
 
killtrocity's Avatar
 
Location: POLLOS
Posts: 8,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
CUZ ITS FUCKIN MANLY.
you're fucking manly

 
killtrocity is offline
Old 05-17-2011, 02:16 AM   #30
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

haha she is

 
Trotskilicious is offline
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kick-Ass was a far better movie than I expected Nimrod's Son General Chat Archive 45 06-14-2012 07:02 AM
So that Supreme Court nominee thinks sppunk General Chat Archive 78 06-01-2009 09:03 PM
I'm Hardcore is sleeping on my couch. Should I go do stuff to him? TuralyonW3 General Chat Archive 24 02-11-2008 05:46 AM
Petition to ban Nimrod bardy General Chat Archive 26 08-07-2007 05:42 PM
50,000. Nimrod's Son General Chat Archive 37 05-24-2007 05:05 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:10 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2014