Old 01-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #31
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 01-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #32
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
Corgan has written a lot of great music, even now. Oceania was a good album. It is more about his life as a single 40+ rock star dating a 20 year old popstar that is why it is hard to connect to. I now really like oceania a lot.
This. There's a lot of jealousy on that album.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #33
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

I think there are a lot of specific statements in oceania that make no sense because they are weird inside jokes/games him and JV played. I wonder if Corgan has grown out of idealized love. Oceania makes me think he doesn't really believe in it anymore.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #34
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
I think there are a lot of specific statements in oceania that make no sense because they are weird inside jokes/games him and JV played. I wonder if Corgan has grown out of idealized love. Oceania makes me think he doesn't really believe in it anymore.
Obviously not, he doesn't even have kids.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:09 PM   #35
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

I have a hunch there were miscarriages.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #36
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
I have a hunch there were miscarriages.
His ex-wife, or Yelena?

Old 01-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #37
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
I think there are a lot of specific statements in oceania that make no sense because they are weird inside jokes/games him and JV played.
I agree with this too. Heavily.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #38
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

I have to get the screen shot of the tweet that JV made before she told me to "get fucked" she talks about acting or something. Billy sings "Does love matter when loves the actor
For what you are after is me". I think this is one of their inside jokes/games. But I don't know what they are talking about. Do you have any idea?

Old 01-20-2014, 12:06 AM   #39
slunken
Virgo

Wasn't there an unreleased song called "fate the lonely actor?"

Without getting too far into it, I've always taken it to mean somethine like an updated version of a poser. Corgan has spoken about internet technology manipulating people's lives into a series of moments and any certain individual is making any experience all about them, like a scene of a movie, instead of passively letting an experience happen. An example would be cell phone culture at concerts or even taking a bunch of pictures inside of a club. Everyone wants to feel like they're the star so instead of truly living life as a human, they're playing the part of an actor in a scene.

So the joke is something like "acting like an actor" or in the case of the line in the song "does love matter when love is the actor" it's questioning the reality and true nature of the love. Love can create a mirage and sometimes you love the idea of loving someone without ever really loving that person. And does that matter?

Old 01-20-2014, 12:22 AM   #40
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Hmm that's interesting, going to ponder that.

Also, I feel like "is your love for me real or are you playing a part" a theme in their relationship or a game they played. I will post her tweet later.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:43 AM   #41
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

I found it. http://www.alternativenation.net/?p=12541

here tweet comes from this "Once conversations that should be private are undertaken in a public forum, they become theater – meant for the onlookers more than the participants." Rian Van Der Merwe

which of course, for her is ironic since she posted so much about their love life on twitter.

Last edited by juliana : 01-20-2014 at 03:15 AM.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:19 AM   #42
T&T
Socialphobic

in tonight's episode (S03E03) of Girls, one of the characters was wearing an SP shirt.
I thought it was pertinent to their relevance
and indicative of who the SP fans are in 2014
http://i.imgur.com/HzT2hPj.jpg
not 25 & under.

deal with it corgan. until you get your shit together again - you're dead to me.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:23 AM   #43
slunken
Virgo

Quote:

here tweet comes from this "Once conversations that should be private are undertaken in a public forum, they become theater – meant for the onlookers more than the participants."
That's makes sense - re:actors. You could sub the word "conversation" out for "anything".

Also I would hesitate to use the phrase "inside joke" because it's more an occasion of things that seem to be a part of their private/personal vocabulary whose meanings are more broadly defined than attributed to one specific incident.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:28 AM   #44
slunken
Virgo

reminds me of this too

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace + love
the joke about the fog
the one about your dog
the one about where we all seem to get along
lifted from the mines
and sifted through my mouth
a blessing so you'll never have to dig back down
using words to create illusions

allusions

Old 01-20-2014, 03:31 AM   #45
slunken
Virgo

Old 01-20-2014, 03:54 AM   #46
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
in tonight's episode (S03E03) of Girls, one of the characters was wearing an SP shirt.
I thought it was pertinent to their relevance
and indicative of who the SP fans are in 2014
not 25 & under.

deal with it corgan. until you get your shit together again - you're dead to me.
Um... Are you saying he should write for 25 and under?

Old 01-20-2014, 04:00 AM   #47
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
That's makes sense - re:actors. You could sub the word "conversation" out for "anything".

Also I would hesitate to use the phrase "inside joke" because it's more an occasion of things that seem to be a part of their private/personal vocabulary whose meanings are more broadly defined than attributed to one specific incident.
Also, when I listen to the album it is shocking how much of a "realist" he is about love. He use to be so idealistic and almost destroyed by love. The love story is very modern, not in a good way. Stark contrast to SIYL, luna songs. JV is not on a pedestal.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:27 AM   #48
fuzzyroes
Banned

Wheres Trotsky in this thread? I am now realizing, long after the fact how true his words ring...

A bunch of old grunge "kids" trying to deeply discuss a new boring and uninteresting album by "The Smashing Pumpkins" because they can't move on past and discover any bands past 1995.

Oceania is a boring, bland release... Theres a few nice moments here and there, but the emotion,composition, musicianship is just a shell of what it used to be. Theres nothing awe-inspiring on the album at all. No songs that you hear and think "NICE" and listen to over again a bunch of times in a row.

Heck, if you want something more interesting check out the new Arcade Fire album. I'm not a HUGE fan of those guys but it definitely beats the shit outta Oceania. Theres also cool new bands like the Gaslight Anthem, Japandroids, Joy Formidable putting out really cool music.

Or heck, if you like the older bands check out some of the the more "current" SNFU

Beats the fuck outta the uninspired shit that Corgans churning out.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #49
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Gaslight Anthem, really? Happened to see them live last year, it was so horrible that I didn't even want to try listening to one of their albums.

Edit: to clarify what I mean by horrible

Last edited by pavementtune : 01-20-2014 at 09:47 AM.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #50
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

What a shock. SP fans discussing an SP album on an SP message board.

If you've moved on fuzzy, why are you here?

Old 01-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #51
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Um... Are you saying he should write for 25 and under?
not at all.
i'm identifying who SP is still relevant with, and that trying to write new music is hella hard at this point.
lets be honest - he had millions of fans by taking advantage of adolescent grief, and the die hard fans were always the most cynical (yet self regarded intellectual) of the bunch. Who here iwill admit to still being the teenage loner they once were? Impressing those people today is near impossible, he painted himself into a corner.

later on in the Girls Episode they're playing Today, and they cut it off for some grind track and there's drama about DJ's cutting songs, and the guy who's bitching about not hearing the rest of his SP song acts like a loser (as his character is a loser with a cleft lip) and gets beat up by some tiny thin armed raver. It's just drives home the idea of SP fans being complete losers. The cleft lip character tries to impress his ex-girlfriend by telling her he's not a manager at the coffee shop, and he's got real responsibilities - she's not impressed and he acts like a bitch about it. one more time - SP fans are losers.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #52
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
For some reason this sounds like a b-side to Screaming Bloody Murder by Sum 41.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #53
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

SP fans have always been seen as losers. I am often embarrassed to talk about SP in public because people often think less of me. Whomever wrote that SP thing probably has always hated SP or based it on a person they knew, like an ex bf who was an obsessed fan. To be honest, many SP fans are that gross. It is shameful.

Also, I don't think Billy took "advantage" of teens. I think he has always written about what is happening in his bald head at the time. It was pretty genuine, he lived a shit life when he was younger and was suffering having to deal with it.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #54
rehabtranny
Amish Rake Fighter

i think fans of the tv show Girls are the big losers here, lena dunham sucks. and i dunno about SP fans...they're just...old

Old 01-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #55
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

She probably had a run in with an SP. SP Fans are not that old. Many are 16-24, who just discovered Baldy.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #56
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
She probably had a run in with an SP. SP Fans are not that old. Many are 16-24, who just discovered Baldy.
In 2006, I thought Billy could turn this over. Get a fresh new fanbase with the upcoming album. Sadly, he released Zeitgeist and started dressing like a new-age pope.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #57
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy thought he had it all figured out with Zeitgeist and then it didn't work. Also, the album was trying to hard to prove they didn't need james and d'arcy. The era had some good stuff though, not impressed with the album. I do like neverlost though.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #58
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

I've been to six concerts in the last two years. Each time it's be an ocean of young people. Being 27, I've felt like the old guy at most of the shows. Oddly enough, every one that I spoke with seemed to be bigger fans of TFE to present.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #59
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
I've been to six concerts in the last two years. Each time it's be an ocean of young people. Being 27, I've felt like the old guy at most of the shows. Oddly enough, every one that I spoke with seemed to be bigger fans of TFE to present.
Hmm, that's odd. I'm 28, and when I saw them in Copenhagen in 2011, all I saw were old guys moving their hips a bit to some Pisces tracks.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:29 PM   #60
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Here in canada it was a mix of old and young.