Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
Default MTAE: album megathread

the prices are on the reasonable side - am I the only one here who is happy about vinyl releases?

LP: EUR 23.50, December 5

http://www.amazon.de/Monuments-An-El...dp/B00OBDKRFK/

itunes: $9.99

1 Tiberius 3:02
2 Being Beige 3:39
3 Anaise! 3:33
4 One and All 3:44
5 Run2me 4:08
6 Drum + Fife 3:54
7 Monuments 3:30
8 Dorian 3:45
9 Anti-Hero 3:20
Digital Booklet

Expected Release: 08 December 2014
2014 Martha's Music, LLC under exclusive license to BMG Rights Management

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

Old 10-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
Shallowed
Braindead

Die CD is only vier Deutsche Marks less than the LP.

Definitely a reasonable price for an LP, not so much the CD

Old 10-21-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Those who prefer an unreasonable price, can get it "limited" and "exclusive" for $46!

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/smashingpumpkins

Isn't that great. And then all the different "exclusive and limited" teahouse packages. With yummy tea + tote bags.

You could get the impression the album is the last thing that matters in this groundbreaking business model.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
F.Delacroix
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
You could get the impression the album is the last thing that matters in this groundbreaking business model.
at the end of the day
the modern fan
etc

Old 10-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
T&T
Socialphobic

after 4 listens (what a short album @ 35mins!), It's grown on me.
It's modern Bill thru and thru. Vocals are still too loud in the mix, but at least it's not all pop everything is sunshine. The melodies and songwriting is top notch - even for that style I'd say they're better 'songs' then Coldplay and U2 (since he's clearly going for that style). I guess this is where billy wants to be right now. I'm looking forward to D4N and hoping I like what more experimental work he does with that instead. I like the bridge in Dorian the most, even better then the Tarantula breakdown! The chorus in Anaise is really catchy and I'll have that stuck in my head for quite a while. the drums in Drum + Fife are no good - I don't know where billy gets the idea that these things are album-worthy (I don't blame Howard, I know it's billy).

Old 10-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #6
Implosion
Demi-God

You know, I actually prefer D4N at this point. MTAE was a refreshing hybrid of return-to-form heavy rock and Zwan-esque pop-rock, after the blandness of Oceania. But D4N takes more risks, and really sounds more like a continuation of things Billy was exploring in TFE. I like the way he used "Ichabod" on some of the tracks; not too up-front, but definitely present.

Honestly, with all of the false-starts of the early Teargarden stuff, I'm surprised he wrapped it up so nicely.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #7
freshfacedyouth
Ownz

gull eee bull

Old 10-21-2014, 11:05 PM   #8
Implosion
Demi-God

http://kroq.cbslocal.com/2014/10/20/...kcRMEY.twitter

Quote:
It’s the first Pumpkins record since drummer Jimmy Chamberlin departed.
It's an honest mistake...

Old 10-21-2014, 11:12 PM   #9
Ram27
dumb

Well, assuming it is part of Teargarden, yeah

Old 10-21-2014, 11:34 PM   #10
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

New MFAE entry is on SPFC. Pretty neat, there's entries for each songs, and the lyrics for BB(WOF).

I love acronyms

http://www.spfc.org/songs-releases/d...?discog_id=401

Old 10-21-2014, 11:54 PM   #11
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Q: "Monuments To An Elegy" is the first of two albums that you've said will be released within a one-year period. What is inspiring this output of music in a relatively short amount of time?

Billy Corgan: "My goal was having the impetus for a double record. But thinking of how it would be consumed in a surface-level culture made me want to split the work apart: which in itself has changed the process, writing, and review."

Q: "Monuments To An Elegy" seems to sonically encompass the different eras of SMASHING PUMPKINS, definitely underlining the majestic and hard guitar sounds as well as keyboard/synth textures. What were you hoping to musically achieve with this album?

Billy Corgan: "I rarely go into an album thinking what it 'has to be.' Albums, as a way of coalescing songs, are just an organizing principle, and each is different given what's going on within at that moment, and without. So if there was any sense here it was bringing all I'm interested in musically to the table at one go."

Q: What inspired you to ask Tommy Lee to play drums on "Monuments To An Elegy"? What do you feel he has brought to the music?

Billy Corgan: "The songs, in demo form, had a strut, and so the suggestion was made that we ought to get someone who 'plays like' Tommy. Jeff Schroeder, PUMPKINS' guitarist said, 'Why not get the real deal?' [On 'Monuments To An Elegy'] Tommy brings the power and grace he's known for, which gives the music a vibrancy that is both immediate and unmistakable."

Q: Can you talk about the contributions of guitarist Jeff Schroeder, who's now been in the band since 2007, to "Monuments To An Elegy"?

Billy Corgan: "To Jeff's own admittance, it's taken him some years to find his place within a sound that was uniquely formed before he came on board. For that he's turned to playing more melodically so his voice so to speak is additive. And it's that triumvirate between he, Tommy, and I that you hear most keenly on the record. Plus, Jeff's just a natural producer in a recording situation, and really pushed me to be my best in a way that most wouldn't understand how to: through patience, and encouragement."

Q: What do you feel producer Howard Willing, who you first worked with on the "Adore" sessions, has brought to "Monuments To An Elegy"? The sound has grandeur and intimacy, always a trademark of SMASHING PUMPKINS.

Billy Corgan: "Howard lives in the real world, unlike me. And so it was his task to be the traffic cop. To point out where the PUMPKINS' sound needed to come forward, and for that I'm appreciative, because it was never the idea of the band as conceived to live in the past, or to become a machine of sentiment. And like all good rock and roll scythes, we're back to chopping forward."

Q: Thematically, how would you describe the songs on "Monuments To An Elegy"? Your singer-songwriter introspective sensibility is in full effect here. There's the directness/vulnernability of "Run2me", the fractured romance of "Being Beige", and in "Drum + Fife", there's the repeated line, "I will bang this drum until my dying day."

Billy Corgan: "That I can't speak to. We honestly just tried to pick the best songs, of which there were about 80 ideas to choose from. And in that, Howard Willing was attracted to those with strong identities more so than just a good riff."

Q: How will the second album, "Day For Night", be different from "Monuments To An Elegy"?

Billy Corgan: "We're at work on it already, and it literally is the other side of the sonic moon. At this early stage it appears to be a deeper work: less shiny, and more personal; which is always a quizzical thing to bring out into the open."

Old 10-22-2014, 12:13 AM   #12
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
I rarely go into an album thinking what it 'has to be.'
http://i.imgur.com/UN7f6.gif

Quote:
"The songs, in demo form, had a strut, and so the suggestion was made that we ought to get someone who 'plays like' Tommy. Jeff Schroeder, PUMPKINS' guitarist said, 'Why not get the real deal?' [On 'Monuments To An Elegy'] Tommy brings the power and grace he's known for, which gives the music a vibrancy that is both immediate and unmistakable."
Yes, apparently Tommy Lee is the drummer with legendary strut, power, and grace

Quote:
Howard Willing was attracted to those with strong identities more so than just a good riff.
What does that even mean, practically speaking? He chose bad songs? All they were at that point was a riff. Stop talking shit.

Quote:
At this early stage it appears to be a deeper work: less shiny, and more personal;
But--but I thought this album was supposed to be deep. Isn't that why Howard picked the songs like that?

OH, oh, okay, you wanted to prove everyone wrong again about your songwriting ability, right. Shiny radio friendly. The real stuff isn't even out yet.

Quote:
I rarely go into an album thinking what it 'has to be.'

Old 10-22-2014, 12:35 AM   #13
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

ram's angry

like a jealous wife

Old 10-22-2014, 01:12 AM   #14
chrisothoulo
Demi-God

"I will bang this drum until my dying day" - Billy Corgan

Old 10-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #15
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Delacroix View Post
at the end of the day
the modern fan
etc
You sound like John Key.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #16
in stereo
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
after 4 listens (what a short album @ 35mins!), It's grown on me.
It's modern Bill thru and thru. Vocals are still too loud in the mix, but at least it's not all pop everything is sunshine. The melodies and songwriting is top notch - even for that style I'd say they're better 'songs' then Coldplay and U2 (since he's clearly going for that style). I guess this is where billy wants to be right now. I'm looking forward to D4N and hoping I like what more experimental work he does with that instead. I like the bridge in Dorian the most, even better then the Tarantula breakdown! The chorus in Anaise is really catchy and I'll have that stuck in my head for quite a while. the drums in Drum + Fife are no good - I don't know where billy gets the idea that these things are album-worthy (I don't blame Howard, I know it's billy).
If you've heard the whole record, can you tell us how many "la la la las" are on the album? Zeitgeist, Zwan, Oceania and American Gothic all had them.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #17
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

So Billy attended the Q Awards last night in London, just because, looking awkward and in stripes. I guess this is the music business version of networking. BMG is really pushing hard for this.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #18
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Very random, at least his PR people are worth his money.

I guess it's also a requirement now that everyone also mentions his wrestling promotion everytime they mention him.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0jV393CQAAEnet.jpg

Old 10-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #19
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Talking

This is just too good, Billy has to be the most awkward fucking person on the face of this earth

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0jkwZUIIAEDgpa.jpg

Old 10-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #20
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

is he going to do a speech full of swearing again? or is he limited to reading words off the autocue this time (as the prize presenter, rather than the receiver)?

Old 10-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #21
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
This is just too good, Billy has to be the most awkward fucking person on the face of this earth

And always with the cape-jackets

Old 10-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #22
KissesandNoise
Banned

Did I just walk in to the future? How are you hearing both of these?

Old 10-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #23
James
Demi-God

Interview about Monuments from the red carpet of the Q Awards...

Old 10-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #24
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
We don't really consider it a band anymore
Special guest = JC

breaking news

Old 10-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #25
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
Oh hai airplane mode hanging in the back.
WHO'S MINDING THE SHOP??

Old 10-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #26
christian zombie vampires
Apocalyptic Poster

i am shocked at the times of the songs. on one hand it's definitely better than if it was 17 tracks and 76 minutes of mostly crap. on the other, he's now completely dropped the ball on one of his biggest strengths, writing epics. he seems to be completely oblivious that the entire reason he ever stood out and had diehard fans is because they were one of the only post-70s rock bands that knew how to do 6-10 minute epics. radio hits + buy the album + epics is exactly the formula that hooked me and i'm willing to wager most of us. pre-MCIS shows were literally alternating between singles and epics. he seemed to realize this on zeitgeist with US, which i consider a worthy if flawed SP epic (better than glass & ghost children), and i actually consider song for a son by far the best SP2/3 song (although it's only kind of a mini-epic like mayonaise) but my least favorite thing about oceania was that the title track epic was the worst song on it and probably their worst epic, just really boring. he goes on about the "meaningful album experience" and then forgets one of the basic ingredients. if SP was only their 4 minute songs none of us would be here.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #27
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

say epic a few more times

Old 10-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #28
christian zombie vampires
Apocalyptic Poster

yeah i did just do that thing where you a normal word one too many times and it destroys your entire argument

Old 10-22-2014, 03:06 PM   #29
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
WHO'S MINDING THE SHOP??
I'm sure no one will notice that nobody is.

A friend of mine remarked upon looking at the vid that it looks like it is "take your 20-something girlfriend to work day".

Old 10-22-2014, 10:53 PM   #30
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
A friend of mine remarked upon looking at the vid that it looks like it is "take your 20-something girlfriend to work day".
Ha! It really does. She looks like a lost 5 year old. She's got her thumb/hand to her mouth/nose practically the whole time. I was so distracted that I didn't even hear one single fucking word that was coming out of Billy's mouth. All I heard was the end, about him turning down festival dates for May/June (which doesn't make any sense at this point, especially with a new record; he's lucky they're even asking him when he doesn't even have a band at this point).