yo a gorilla is not a fucking monkey jesus christ

Old 08-28-2016, 10:02 PM   #32
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

ain't we all just animals?

Old 08-28-2016, 10:08 PM   #33
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

harambe was closer related to you and me than that fuckin little ass monkey thing

Old 08-28-2016, 11:07 PM   #34
Disco King
Minion of Satan

So degorrillizing to compare Harambe to some... monkey.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:10 AM   #35
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

seriously though, i hate hate hate the fact that this became some anecdotal joke.

i accept that it happened in netphoria, because that's just the nature of the humor here, and the discussion about it here really was hilarious. but the way this event - that is really a microcosmos for a lot of what is so wrong with the world today - turned into just another fucking meme, it's profoundly demoralizing

Old 08-29-2016, 03:19 AM   #36
redbreegull

Harambe is in the hyperreal now. He exists in a space in between the real and the fictive. He is the dweller on the threshold.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:38 AM   #37
Cool As Ice Cream

thread does not deliver

Old 08-29-2016, 11:53 AM   #38
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I blame poots, the number one thread killer

Old 08-29-2016, 03:14 PM   #39
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
seriously though, i hate hate hate the fact that this became some anecdotal joke.

i accept that it happened in netphoria, because that's just the nature of the humor here, and the discussion about it here really was hilarious. but the way this event - that is really a microcosmos for a lot of what is so wrong with the world today - turned into just another fucking meme, it's profoundly demoralizing
I think the Harambe meme is a send-up of all the insincere sentiment and outrage surrounding his death. I mean, yes, it is indeed a tragedy that an intelligent and affectionate living being of an endangered species was killed. But people started getting on their high horses, trying to shame the boy's mother and blame the zoo staff that had to make a split-second decision concerning the safety of a child with an unpredictable animal. All of the sudden, everybody on the internet was an expert on animal behavior and knew better than the zoo staff, when it was just as possible that Harambe could had harmed the boy out of fear or unintentional roughness as it was possible that Harambe was harmless. People just need somebody to blame in order to feel superior, so a lot of the outpour of grief for Harambe seemed like posturing.

Another aspect is the rise of 'weird Facebook.' Used to be that memes started on corners of the internet with insular and acerbic cultures, like 4chan's /b/, Something Awful forums, or Bodybuilding Forums' 'misc' board. From there, they would diffuse out to Reddit, then Tumblr, then 9Gag, and then finally to Facebook, where they would become 'normie memes' denounced by the people who started them.

These days, memes are evolving, getting danker. And Facebook is at the center of it all. Meme pages are sprouting up with irreverent and inscrutable humour, creating an additional layer of irony by juxtaposing everyday somewhat awkward and sappy Facebook posts with ironic corruptions of them. The Harambe meme is part of that.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:01 PM   #40
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I think the Harambe meme is a send-up of all the insincere sentiment and outrage surrounding his death. I mean, yes, it is indeed a tragedy that an intelligent and affectionate living being of an endangered species was killed. But people started getting on their high horses, trying to shame the boy's mother and blame the zoo staff that had to make a split-second decision concerning the safety of a child with an unpredictable animal. All of the sudden, everybody on the internet was an expert on animal behavior and knew better than the zoo staff, when it was just as possible that Harambe could had harmed the boy out of fear or unintentional roughness as it was possible that Harambe was harmless. People just need somebody to blame in order to feel superior, so a lot of the outpour of grief for Harambe seemed like posturing.

Another aspect is the rise of 'weird Facebook.' Used to be that memes started on corners of the internet with insular and acerbic cultures, like 4chan's /b/, Something Awful forums, or Bodybuilding Forums' 'misc' board. From there, they would diffuse out to Reddit, then Tumblr, then 9Gag, and then finally to Facebook, where they would become 'normie memes' denounced by the people who started them.

These days, memes are evolving, getting danker. And Facebook is at the center of it all. Meme pages are sprouting up with irreverent and inscrutable humour, creating an additional layer of irony by juxtaposing everyday somewhat awkward and sappy Facebook posts with ironic corruptions of them. The Harambe meme is part of that.

i don't know about you but i blame the kid!

Old 08-29-2016, 07:14 PM   #41
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post

this is a good analysis. at this point it's kind of like the meme is just piling layers of irreverence on top of the irreverence of the actual situation... it's kind of like a paragon of the ridiculousness that the internet creates and allows. Also I feel like my entire 13 year posting career has been legitimized by reading this sentence

Quote:
These days, memes are evolving, getting danker.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:28 PM   #42
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

bump

Old 09-15-2016, 11:31 PM   #43
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Old 09-16-2016, 07:08 AM   #44
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I hate animals kill them all

Old 09-16-2016, 07:09 AM   #45
ilikeplanets
Braindead

This is fucking dumb, I will shoot the gorilla myself next time. Gross fucking destructive shit factories, these animals

Old 09-16-2016, 12:15 PM   #46
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Grate post from DK

But can I put my dick back in my pants yet? (I sunburn)

Old 09-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #47
redbreegull

Your favorite Harambe memes are racist

makes the argument that the meme is built around the African-ness of the name Harambe and is essentially popular because it is an acceptable outlet for white people to mock black/African culture

Old 09-16-2016, 01:39 PM   #48
redbreegull

I'm not endorsing that article btw, I think it pretty much embodies everything that is wrong with the low information new moral majority college-aged left.

#dicksout5evar

Old 09-17-2016, 06:51 PM   #49
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Your favorite Harambe memes are racist

makes the argument that the meme is built around the African-ness of the name Harambe and is essentially popular because it is an acceptable outlet for white people to mock black/African culture
Lol, this article. "Making fun of Harambe is racist because he's a gorilla and that's pretty much just a black person. Also, how come people are making a meme of this, but aren't making memes of the hundreds of black people killed by police brutality every year? Does a black person have to be a gorilla in order to be funny?"

Old 09-17-2016, 06:58 PM   #50
redbreegull

I'm not closed to the idea that part of what makes the meme funny to many of us is the "foreign" name, but the article is so poorly written and the argument is such a tangential mess with literally no actual information to back up the thesis... it just smacks of Bernie Bro low info nonsense.

I'm not sure if from this article I should induce that any joke involving primates is racist? or that any joke in general is likely to be racist at root because that's the only thing people actually think is funny?

this is the only line where the author actually seeks to back up his main point: "Let’s get real here. Of course the African-ness of Harambe’s name (it’s a Swahili word which means “togetherness”) plays in a role in his popularity."

let's get real. of course. it's self-evident!