Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2014, 12:21 AM   #151
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

the catholic church i hate those guys

Old 07-05-2014, 12:27 AM   #152
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

You are giving the catholic church too much credit. Their hate for birth control is just about women not making their own choices, the catholic church is extremely sexist. I'm catholic and went to catholic school, it was obvious they want a double standard.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:30 AM   #153
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag View Post
I do kinda have the itch to make a couple points though

- Catholic teaching on contraception has to do with affirming the value of life. You'll find that Catholics also are very against assisted suicide. It's not an anti-technology or anti-medicine thing. Birth control is even condemned in the Bible, and was certainly condemned in the early Church. It's not a question of changing times.
- If you feel like "everyone is having babies" you still need to consider the numbers and realize fertility has been on the decline for 100 years. Relative to the rest of the world, affluent Western women don't have many children.
- Why do you believe children are always more immoral than their parents? As far as I can tell this is a completely ahistorical view of humanity, it at best covers the trends of post-war America.
- Your sense that "this is just how things always are" seems very cynical and passive to me. There has obviously been a ton of change in our society as far as children born out of wedlock, divorce, abortion, prostitution etc etc. Those things matter, and it has NOT always been this way.
- To give some specific perspective on the cultural impact of birth control, look at the midcentury decline of the Catholic Church. Many people misattribute the decrease in membership and devotion to Vatican II (which attempted to modernize the church, introduced the vernacular liturgy etc), but in fact the big blow was when Pope Paul VI delivered his encyclical officially condemning the use of birth control in 1968 that people started leaving in droves, and even much of the clergy did not support the Pope during this time. There had already been a trickle of dissent though from around the time protestant churches flipped on the issue about 30 years prior.
- I don't agree that making life last as long as possible no matter what as affirming life. People have the right to decide if affirming life means controlling their own death. But we won't agree on this.

- I don't see what's so important with having as many babies as possible. We are not going to die out from lack of offspring.

- I don't think children are always more immoral than their parents, that was my point - but it seems like a common view when parents talk about how children disrespect their elders and etc., that every subsequent generation believes the new generation is just doing crazy and outlandish things - I have read articles on this but on short notice here's people debating it: http://www.debate.org/opinions/are-o...-deteriorating. Generations distinguish themselves in some terrible and unique ways but that doesn't necessarily mean we are devolving

- Society's problems may ebb and flow in different directions but there will always be problems. Is there more prostitution than there used to be or is it being reported more (really I have no idea)? Is divorce such a terrible thing to be increasing vs. people staying in terrible marriages? Abortion is not an ideal thing to be happening of course, but again people have always wanted and used ways to abort pregnancies that were more dangerous than medical abortions. I don't even disagree on your points but instead of saying these things are terrible and shouldn't exist, I think I'm more realistic that yes they shouldn't exist but they do and we should work towards minimizing harmful outcomes than condemning people for making poor choices. Like championing birth control so people don't get pregnant and get abortions, which I think most people would agree is, at the very least, the lesser of two evils.

- Not sure if your last bullet is a point or just a history lesson. People left when they saw the church had a moral view that was wholly incorrect to them. Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

Last edited by reprise85 : 07-05-2014 at 12:37 AM.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:44 AM   #154
Trotskilicious
Banned

i think prostitutes aren't treated like animals as often as they used to be

Old 07-05-2014, 12:49 AM   #155
null123
Minion of Satan

We won't agree on much.
Mostly when I hear you all talking about your ideas about humanity you sound depressed and petty. Chasing after "good enough" as in, not in any immediate pain, not omg bossing anyone else around, not "hurting" anyone, this is going to get you exactly where we are, which is a nation of emotionally stunted, sad, empty people. You can't chase big problems with these cynical attitudes and small-time solutions. Societies can't survive without grand, holistic thinking and higher ideals than this. Never have and never will.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:51 AM   #156
null123
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
i think prostitutes aren't treated like animals as often as they used to be
Prostitutes have higher rates of PTSD than soldiers. Their (frequent) rapes and murders are not even investigated by law enforcement. Most prostitutes enter the so-called profession at 13.
But please tell us more

Old 07-05-2014, 12:56 AM   #157
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

But I'm not depressed and petty. These people you are calling emotionally stunted, sad and empty people are people who are mostly doing the best they can.
Mostly when I hear you talking about your ideas on society you sound angry and self righteous.

We cannot have an ideal society. We can improve society, but only with real practical ideas and not ideology. There are things most people can agree on and that is where we should start. Your personal morality can then start at that point. And I think I could reword what you said: Societies can't survive long term without changing, period. But change does not equal disintegration. Change is not failure. It is not sad or cynical to be realistic, it is sad to miss the opportunity to improve things where you can in pursuit of some higher ideal that most people don't agree with and is impossible to implement anyway.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:59 AM   #158
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Prostitutes have higher rates of PTSD than soldiers. Their (frequent) rapes and murders are not even investigated by law enforcement. Most prostitutes enter the so-called profession at 13.
But please tell us more
This is terrible and needs to change but is it different than it used to be? Didn't people not ever even give shit about these people at all, and no one would even worry that it was wrong and terrible? How would you suggest we stop this besides making small, measured improvements like offering prostitutes free health exams and offering them paths to legitimate employment and longer sentences for pimps etc? It's not just going to disappear, we need to minimize harm.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:00 AM   #159
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
But please tell us more
i think you're being a little too aggressive because it was a sarcastic comment intended to indicate that i was well aware of how the vast majority are treated today in our life and times

Old 07-05-2014, 01:00 AM   #160
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
I like how exploding boy or whatever his name is read only the first sentence of my 2-3 sentence post and then made a comment.
no i read the rest, i know that wasn't your point. I just felt like pointing out that that's not even something that can be said anymore. It's time to realize there is a serious need to lower our procreation rate. Oh yeah we could be more if there wasnt greed and resources were distributed better (like charm said). Great, is it gonna happen? Unlikely, therefore the only thing we have power over as individuals is to stop procreating.

Last edited by The exploding boy : 07-05-2014 at 01:08 AM.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:00 AM   #161
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Like this whole thing with Hobby Lobby/birth control. Yes it is annoying that men jumped on the moral bandwagon but isn't that better than none of them giving a shit at all? Isn't that progress?

Old 07-05-2014, 01:01 AM   #162
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Legalize and regulate prostitution.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:02 AM   #163
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
I do think that some men have sold women that sexual freedom is the ultimate feminism

Yes. And how.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:03 AM   #164
Trotskilicious
Banned

charmbag are you like me, are you wondering what's freedumb really fuck this dumb shit

right yeah right but but but but who holds that control? WHO WATCHES THE WATCHPERSONS?

Old 07-05-2014, 01:05 AM   #165
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
Yes. And how.
i don't know how much of a doing that was of men entirely and exclusively

Old 07-05-2014, 01:06 AM   #166
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Well no obviously.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:06 AM   #167
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

please trots, they're trying to have a discussion here

Old 07-05-2014, 01:09 AM   #168
Trotskilicious
Banned

fuck you dc turd

Old 07-05-2014, 01:16 AM   #169
null123
Minion of Satan

i'm all about freedom, non-judgement and sexual expression. live and let live.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:18 AM   #170
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

if i still read comics that wouldve hurt

Old 07-05-2014, 01:20 AM   #171
null123
Minion of Satan

Also what the fuck is debate.org it looks like a nightmare

Old 07-05-2014, 01:46 AM   #172
Trotskilicious
Banned

you're getting in there and making a difference by talking about stuff and participating in democracy

Old 07-05-2014, 01:46 AM   #173
Trotskilicious
Banned

but seriously what the fuck is up with the thunder signing sebastian telfair

Old 07-05-2014, 08:07 AM   #174
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Also what the fuck is debate.org it looks like a nightmare
I was just trying to showcase what I was talking about in case I wasn't being clear.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #175
Trotskilicious
Banned

seriously guys freedumb or control, either way it will be abused and we will be herded like chattel in service of someone else's quest for power

Old 07-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #176
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Now take off your pants and dance for me.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:32 PM   #177
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

It makes me a little bit glad that people finally realize how off the deep end charmbag is. I recall a time when it seemed like everyone was all over her shit. I guess I am "petty" and "depressed"

Old 07-06-2014, 10:54 PM   #178
Trotskilicious
Banned

actually i think she made more sense 2 years ago but now she just sounds like one of the sisters from the handmaiden's tale

Old 07-06-2014, 11:18 PM   #179
null123
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
It makes me a little bit glad that people finally realize how off the deep end charmbag is. I recall a time when it seemed like everyone was all over her shit. I guess I am "petty" and "depressed"
And yet somehow, people still like me a lot better than you.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:19 PM   #180
Order 66
Socialphobic

Quote:
And yet somehow, people still like me a lot better than you.
http://forums.netphoria.org/customav...ar11943_21.gif