Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2017, 05:57 AM   #1
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Default The Future Embrace [revisited]

Billy's favorite song from TFE (according to this interview):

David Letterman:

The Future Embrace Short Film:

B-Side:

First show of the TFE tour:

Last edited by amoergosum : 11-24-2017 at 06:04 AM.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:53 AM   #2
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

"With arms resting on the barricade, I still remember the surge of excitement when Billy Corgan and his backing band took the stage. The lights were mesmerizing; an entire backdrop of hundreds of digital tiles that all changed colors and sometimes pictures. At that time, it was the most advanced, high-tech stage set I’d ever seen, and it truly felt like being in the future (embrace, hardy har)."

https://loudballads.com/2014/07/17/b...race-930-club/

Old 11-24-2017, 08:16 AM   #3
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

The year 2005 started with this performance:

"Singer Billy Corgan hugs his former drummer Jimmy Chamberlin, who used to play with Smashing Pumpkins and Zwan, on January 15, 2005 at the Double Door in Chicago, Illinois."

Old 11-24-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

That album/era is better than I gave it credit for at the time.

Plus, his singing was still pretty decent (no vibrato/dropped consonants).

Old 11-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #5
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 11-24-2017, 12:59 PM   #6
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Took me a long, long time to go back and give this one the time of day, and there's a fair few enjoyable numbers on here mixed with the odd stinker. CameraEye kicks ass. A way better record than I thought at the time. I had no interest in seeing any members at the band perform without each other at that point.

That artwork probably sent people screaming for the hills, too.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #7
myosis
Minion of Satan

i listened to it a lot during that summer

Old 11-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #8
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

[volume warning]

"Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlin - DIA live 2005-07-12"

Old 11-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #9
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insight_Scoop View Post
Plus, his singing was still pretty decent
...yep!

>>>

Old 11-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #10
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

"All Things Change" is a good tune.

Also I totally forgot Jimmy and Matt shared the stage at one of those shows.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:45 PM   #11
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I played it to my cousin who has a masters in music from some fancy school in vienna.

he said (in thick euro accent) "jonny this is very bad music." I was pretty butthurt. lol tfe sucks.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:45 PM   #12
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insight_Scoop View Post
"All Things Change" is a good tune.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:53 PM   #13
FoolofaTook

The cringe-worthy threshold of the cringe-worthy Shitegeist.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #14
FoolofaTook

Hate to be narrow minded but B0llzzebub should stay away from electronic music. Adore, tfe, and now Shithradashartha all support this. Even cool songs like Waiting and Blissed and gone would have been way better acoustic style. Or compare the psych-rock mii saturnine with that electronic abomination saturnine.

I have spoken.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:05 PM   #15
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

This is still a better Depeche Mode album than Depeche Mode have managed since roughly the time this came out.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:14 PM   #16
FoolofaTook

Whoop de woo
Shadapoo

Old 11-24-2017, 04:33 PM   #17
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

all things change & now (and then) are the gems here

Old 11-24-2017, 04:36 PM   #18
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

I love it.

The juxtaposition between electronics, poetic lyrics, and turn-of-the-last-century visuals is really unique. It's like the natural progression from Adore. The stage production for the tour was brilliant too.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #19
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

this album was pretty good aside from the clunky drum sounds throughout. i like most of the songs, a lot of the sounds were beautiful though the production as a whole could fall a bit on the stale side

i guess that was the thing with BC's electronic stuff, when he either let a "real" rhythm section take care of the drums + bass (i.e. a good portion of Adore) it could be fantastic, but he has a tendency to be overly simplistic & as i said before clunky on the percussion side of things, which can kinda hurt the songs despite whatever glory is going on above the drums

Old 11-24-2017, 10:36 PM   #20
run2pee
Minion of Satan

there's some shoegaze depths u can plumb to some of this

pretty pretty star was my perennial nightcap booze hymn during the lost and homesick summer of '06

Old 11-24-2017, 11:07 PM   #21
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
there's some shoegaze depths u can plumb to some of this
the icy distorted wash of guitar is nice

Old 11-24-2017, 11:18 PM   #22
cork_soaker
full of longing

the whole bit about how the songs were constructed is interesting, too.

i think it's in here

Old 11-25-2017, 12:13 AM   #23
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Sorrows is great too, weird no one mentioned it. Probably one of my favourites from TFE lol.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:27 AM   #24
FoolofaTook

Now and Then was the only one I liked. And the guitars on To Love Somebody were coll no doubt.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:28 AM   #25
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
it was called "four voicing" by us at the time…. essentially, and simply, the way it worked was this:

1. Billy would compose the outline to a song chordally. He would then play them to us on acoustic guitar or piano etc.

2. We would then figure out the chords, and map them out and divide them into the bass, tenor, alto and soprano parts of the voicing. Bon Harris was doing some serious study in composition at the time in los angeles, and had gotten quite involved in theory and method on this. He would then translate those parts to us on sheet music, with different sheet pieces for the four delineated parts.
3. so upon separating, or revoicing the chords in separate parts, the process was to then look at each individual voicing as a monophonic melodic element with which to generate ideas and motifs off of. So think of each part as containing a monophonic element that was to be approached as a "baseline" for interpretation.
Bon would print up or write down scores, which were then translated to midi to generate sound.

4.These parts were then modified and realized with their own separate synthesizer voice, usually originating from the doepfer or the roland system 100m…. which were then amplified through amps in the studio and brought back to tape or daw.

5. The combination of these four separate parts would either yield satisfactory or unsatisfactory results harmonically. If it passed muster, we would continue with overdubs in all the means i described earlier. It was at this point usually that drums were introduced. Then the sonic picture of the song would continue to develop, with Billy working either a preexisting vocal melody over it, or creating something new which was a result of what he heard in the result of the four voicing.

6. so after these parts were completed, and the vision of the song was solid, would then the guitar even be approached. Sure, the songs might have originally been composed on the guitar, but the guitar melodic line then applied would exist on the froth of the result, and being a step removed from the original composition, in that billy would compose the new part as a reaction to the interactions attained in the aforementioned process….

I am sure i'm screwing up my explanation of this somewhat, as it has been awhile, but it was pain-pain stakingly worked on and appealed to. there were no shortcuts, and it was a tremendous intellectual and artistic exercise, one which most would give up on half way through, but was seen till the bitter end! . Every day was spent with a different challenge, and it was far from the process involved in most records…..
In addition to that, like i have mentioned before, most, if all sounds were constructed from complete scratch. there were NO presets or samples on this record. Matt and I learned a ****load from Bon Harris during this process, as with every voicing, every patch chord would be yanked from the doepfer etc, and would start anew with an idea intended and we would spend hours to get the right sound. For years afterwards I have taken Bon's approach and try and start with a null state on synths and try and create the sound i hear or intend in my head. Yeah, sometimes people say presets are a starting point, but when you start to understand the electricity like he does, it is far far more rewarding to generate the sounds from nothing.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:53 AM   #26
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

>>>

Quote:
the guitar sounds were painstakingly worked on. Billy is the best guitar player i have ever worked with, and his attention to detail and sound sculpting abilities were labored over with love, as every song has only ONE take of guitar, with one sound, and one pass only. If he made a mistake, rewind, start over from the beginning. It made for some late nights.
I am not sure if he wants me to divulge his signal path right now, but to give clue, it was pretty much made out of one device, and on occassion we threw one of his huge huge collection of vintage pedals. He, Bjorn and I would sometimes spend a whole day making one guitar sound, tweaking until our ears bled, but it was a fun adventure.

Quote:
the songs would change a lot from day to day, as billy is tremendously prolific, and would often rewrite songs upon waking up in the morning or walking to the studio, which would sometimes result in scrapping days of work.... and sometimes just popping up a certain synth would steer the songs in different directions....
Quote:
billy IS a songwriting machine, seriously, on the tour bus his incidental musings on a guitar (on the way to soundcheck etc..) would be better then most artists output for the year, and i will(am) going on record as saying that. there is so much he hasn't released, from the recording of the future embrace, as well as stuff outside, that will one day see the light of day hopefully,... because it is really frigging good. he really can do whatever he wants when he wants to, and despite his reputation for being a dictator etc. in the studio, far from it, he just is usually, if not always, better then anyone else in the room.
Quote:
there were probably around 20 songs that were "finished" for the record, a lot of my favorites actually didn't make the cut!, but there were probably around 50ish ideas floating around from the origin

Last edited by amoergosum : 11-25-2017 at 05:01 AM.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:41 PM   #27
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

This came out two years after Give Up by Postal Service. Absolutely groundbreaking.

Last edited by Butt Pope : 11-25-2017 at 01:48 PM.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #28
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Now (Poo Poo) & Then (Pee Pee)

Old 11-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #29
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
it looks like he has dental implants

Old 11-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #30
Shadaloo