Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 08-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #211
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

I've been sort of lazy in posting in here this summer:

An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness by Kay Redfield Jamison - B+
For being a memoir of a psychologist who is bipolar, it is a surprisingly easy read. More about her personal struggles with that in terms of her personal life and career as opposed to her talking on and on about the purely psychological or physiological stuff that she knew from her training. Not that much of a downer, more interesting than anything else.

A Good Look at Evil by Abigail L. Rosenthal - C
Most of the time this book was a chore to read. I've read a good amount of books on this same topic (what makes seemingly good people do evil things) and she just sucks all the fun out of it by over explaining shit and bombarding you with way too many stats.

Dry by Augusten Burroughs - B
I've liked his other books and this one was pretty funny, too. This book also made me feel really good about not having this fucked up of a past. There were a few things that hit home and reminded me of certain things and that just made me like it more. Reading memoirs about somebody who seems very human and sort of fucked up is a lot more entertaining than reading about some overachieving smartypants.

In the Woods by Tana French - B-
One of the better murder mysteries I have read but seemed to loose steam halfway through. She has a nice way with words and I think her next book will be much better. Still a good read and most of the time despite the latter half of the book I couldn't put it down.

Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife by Mary Roach - B
Not as good as Stiff, but still a great read nonetheless. Looks at the other side of this life from every angle you can think of and I like how she still manages to keep things pretty light despite the material.

Manhunt: The Twelve Day Hunt For Lincoln's Killer by James Swanson - A
A riveting, fast-paced and really well-researched account of Lincoln's assasination and the aftermath of trying to find his killer. This is not usually my type of book but it was really, really good. It was like historical voyeurism.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:44 PM   #212
MrPantyFAce
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale blue eyes View Post
I've been sort of lazy in posting in here this summer:

An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness by Kay Redfield Jamison - B+
For being a memoir of a psychologist who is bipolar, it is a surprisingly easy read. More about her personal struggles with that in terms of her personal life and career as opposed to her talking on and on about the purely psychological or physiological stuff that she knew from her training. Not that much of a downer, more interesting than anything else.
i liked this too.

Ive been skimming through the principia of discordia online. the last thing i read was some book of shorts written by 'rebels' the psychology of liberation or something.

i watched a light german 'romantic comedy' today called eden. i thought the title character seemed like a good wholesome person. interested in seeing what else the actress was in i looked her up on wikipedia to find that she must have written a modern classic as its sold half a million in germany. heres is the themes synopis

Helen has an unusual relationship to her body. She abhors personal hygiene and enjoys many of the bodily fluids which are secreted or excreted from it, be it mucus, pus, earwax, smegma, blood (including menstrual blood), sweat, or tears, but also men's sperm, all of which she "recycles" by putting them into her mouth and swallowing them. She loves to attract potential sexual partners by parading, underneath her dress, her unwashed vagina and the smells emanating from it. In a series of interviews Roche explained that cleanliness and above all pedantic care for their own bodies, including the use of artificial scents such as perfume, have been inculcated upon women for ages; that this obstructs their—not just sexual—self-realisation; and that the fear of harmful "bacteria" has been vastly exaggerated.

cant wait for this translation

Old 08-25-2008, 11:47 PM   #213
D.
Consume my pants.

so i went back to Urban Outfitters and got the Catcher In the Rye shirt.

I know, I know, but it's kinda like those mass-produced Led Zeppelin shirts. I mean, LZ is good so why not own a shirt?

they also had Catch-22, Invisible Man, and Death of a Salesman, but I haven't read those.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:00 AM   #214
House of Bread
FKA Siamese33

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - A-

Old 08-26-2008, 03:26 AM   #215
Kahlo

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
Urban Outfitters
I fucking hate that store. They have one in Glasgow and it has the most overpriced shite you can imagine.

I just read a book for work on Joachim Peiper ( a panzer commander) as we are working on a new publication about him.

Currently reading Christopher Brookmyre - The Sacred Art of Stealing

Old 08-26-2008, 06:41 AM   #216
talk show host
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: I thought using a condom was assumed but like, even if you didn't use one how would putting a vegetable in your pussy cause some sort of infection? Like, you can fucking EAT IT, but you can't put it in your fucking vagina and move it around a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
so i went back to Urban Outfitters and got the Catcher In the Rye shirt.

I know, I know, but it's kinda like those mass-produced Led Zeppelin shirts. I mean, LZ is good so why not own a shirt?

they also had Catch-22, Invisible Man, and Death of a Salesman, but I haven't read those.
Catch 22 is awesome, read that soon

I'm about to finish Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck. Before that it was A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, and prior to that I was bogged down in another Nietzsche book.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:26 AM   #217
Kahlo

which Niezsche? I don't find him that rewarding tbh. Maybe when I was 16, but not now

Old 08-26-2008, 01:11 PM   #218
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
I fucking hate that store. They have one in Glasgow and it has the most overpriced shite you can imagine.
i know. that is why i am ashamed to really like going there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk show host View Post
Catch 22 is awesome, read that soon.
twill probably be my next read.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #219
talk show host
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: I thought using a condom was assumed but like, even if you didn't use one how would putting a vegetable in your pussy cause some sort of infection? Like, you can fucking EAT IT, but you can't put it in your fucking vagina and move it around a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
which Niezsche? I don't find him that rewarding tbh. Maybe when I was 16, but not now

Human, all too Human

I enjoy his work a lot, he's probablly the philosopher I've focused the most on while I've been studying. I end up reading him and getting bogged down though, which means other reading goes by the way side. I've had to restrict myself by not reading any more till the end of the year at earliest.

And D. let me know how you enjoy Catch 22. When I started it I found it really hard going but about partway through i got really into it and ended up loving it.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #220
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

Right now I'm reading Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser for a class. I am not too big on it yet.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:42 PM   #221
neopryn
let's see your penis!

Catch-22 is the best book ever written

Old 08-27-2008, 12:49 AM   #222
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopryn View Post
i had a few beers, but i'm cool to drive

Old 08-27-2008, 06:17 AM   #223
Shapan
Socialphobic

death of a salesman is also a cool quick read. grapes of wrath was like the opposite, id rather read of mice and men 10 times.

i think im gonna read an elliott smith biography when i have a couple weeks between classes but i wouldnt know which book is best. or maybe ill read choke before the film comes out.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:27 AM   #224
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Grant Morrison: Seven Soldiers of Victory - A+

Brilliant

Old 08-27-2008, 07:55 AM   #225
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopryn View Post
omg, seriously, i'm reading A Farwell to Arms and I love it so much. so like, i will listen to your consideration 100%. catch 22 it is because i am really, really enjoying farewell to arms.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:38 PM   #226
Travis Meeks
Rambling on

I loved Farewell to Arms but for whatever reason I could not get into Catch-22. I read about a quarter of the book and then lost interest. Before I die I shall make it through the whole book and find out what the admiration is all about.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #227
barden
Braindead

amaZulu.
A Time for Machettes.
The Washing of the Spears.

Those are my last 3 purchased books. I enjoyed the first two quite a bit.
working through washing of the spears now. I'm enjoying it so far.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:46 PM   #228
D.
Consume my pants.

Thumbs up

Finished A Farewell to Arms and I loved it a lot. Very engrossing and I finished it pretty fast.

01. The Stranger by Albert Camus
02. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
03. All Quiet On the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
04. A Farewell To Arms by Ernest Hemingway
05. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
06. 1984 by George Orwell
07. The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
08. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
09. Animal Farm by George Orwell
10. Lord of the Flies by William Golding
11. The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemmingway
12. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
13. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
14. The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy

Next up, I'm going to read Anthem by Ayn Rand because it looks like a quick read, then it's Catch-22!

Old 09-02-2008, 09:08 PM   #229
D.
Consume my pants.

Finished Anthem a lot sooner than I thought. I actually really enjoyed it. Its like the first novella I've read this year that I actually liked.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:27 PM   #230
Sepiae
is a modern day sex camel

Are you taking suggestions, D.? I know you mentioned you were going through a lot of classics you didn't read when you were younger. I think you'd like All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren if you haven't already read it.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #231
redbull
Immortal

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepiae View Post
Are you taking suggestions, D.? I know you mentioned you were going through a lot of classics you didn't read when you were younger. I think you'd like All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren if you haven't already read it.
YES

Old 09-02-2008, 10:45 PM   #232
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepiae View Post
I am always taking suggestion! I will look up the book you recommended and, if it seems like something I'd enjoy, I'll add it to my list and look for it on my next trip to the bookstore (next monday).

Old 09-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #233
barden
Braindead

Read rushdie.
he's probably my favourite.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #234
mxzombie
Braindead

Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

right now i'm reading Rites of Spring, about world war I for a class. it started off pretty boring but i'm finding it more interesting now

Old 09-03-2008, 01:59 AM   #235
El Scorcho
Demi-God

love in the time of cholera

GGM rules
magical realism rules

Old 09-15-2008, 05:47 PM   #236
D.
Consume my pants.

Finished Catch-22 and it was more than awesome - just remarkable and, oh, i loved it.

Novels
01. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
02. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
03. The Stranger by Albert Camus
04. All Quiet On the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
05. A Farewell To Arms by Ernest Hemingway
06. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
07. 1984 by George Orwell
08. The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
09. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
10. Animal Farm by George Orwell
11. Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Novellas
01. Anthem by Ayn Rand
02. The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemmingway
03. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
04. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
05. The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy

Next I'm hurrying through a few short ones, Dr Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde by R.L. Stevenson and also "The Little Regiment" and Other Civil War Stories (76 pages) by Stephen Crane.

After those, the next novel I'm going to read Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:09 PM   #237
redbull
Immortal

three chapters into A Wild Sheep Chase by Murakami. Fucking amazing.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #238
Ugly
Immortal

Location: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed

Just finished This Is Not Civilization by Robert Rosenberg, but the only reason I really had it was because I scored it for free from a workplace. It's about three people: one is the daughter of a shiftless bum who works for former Soviet cheese factory that doesn't produce cheese, an American Peace Corp guy who aimlessly bounces around countries, and a native reservation runaway. Strangely, the American character starts the book as the main character and is shuffled off into the background by the end. The back cover and earlier chapters promised a much funnier read than it turned out to be, and I kept putting it down for weeks at a time to pick up other things to read in between, but, even if does get sidetracked with way too many descriptive passages of scenery rolling by, it's not without it's charm, even if does turn into an unabashed weepy by the end - but, oddly, one of the characters actually was somewhat emotionally affecting by the end. Mostly alot of characters ambling into each other and just being kind of lonely and isolated and not understanding the world, really.

Next free book I got sitting around is, oddly, Towelhead, which just came out as a movie adaptation, like, this week.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:21 PM   #239
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenguy2000 View Post
Right now I'm reading Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser for a class. I am not too big on it yet.
This actually ended up a lot better than I thought.

I'm writing a paper on Dreiser's use of public vs. private spaces and how class and status affects perception and use of public space. Yeah.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:26 AM   #240
D.
Consume my pants.

I got done with a book with all of Stephen Crane's short stories about Civil War. It was excellent. I liked 5 out of 7 of the stories. so it was still a B. But he's becoming my favorite author. Such beautiful language!

I also liked Dr Jecklyy and Mr hyde. Pretty quick read, but it was good.

Next Up: Invisible Man!