Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2018, 07:14 PM   #421
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Yeah, I gave the game some more playtime, and it's pretty good, actually.

I was on the second mission, and I took my time to explore every nook and cranny, complete all of the side objectives, and collect all of the bone charms and runes.

Then I went to complete the main objective of eliminating the High Overseer, and the damn game glitched out. Whatever is supposed to trigger the High Overseer and that other guy to enter the chamber didn't click, and they are just frozen there in the next room. I can't even enter that room to find another way to eliminate him. After all that time I spent on the level, I think I have to just restart it from scratch. Fuck this shit.

oh man that sucks

Old 10-31-2018, 12:44 PM   #422
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Eh, it's not too bad. I replayed the level from the start yesterday, and this time I could do it more efficiently.

Still took me hours, though. I've heard people call this a short game, but it looks like it can be pretty long if you're a completionist, considering that it took me five hours to complete only the second mission with all of its side objectives.

There's just something so satisfying about excommunicating that High Overseer with the Heretic's Brand instead of just killing him.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:59 PM   #423
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

my computer is dead right now but i think i played about 35 hours. i always managed to not get all the gold or paintings but i got every rune etc

Old 11-01-2018, 02:52 PM   #424
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

my computer is also dead right now. and it will remain that way for a week, during which i have to used a school computer the size of a small tank.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:29 PM   #425
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i have my old school laptop i took notes on and stuff. it has about 1/4 the benchmark processing power as my real laptop. so uh, i cant really do too much besides look at netphoria and reddit and whatever. and after a while it tells me my memory is low and starts closing shit

Old 11-04-2018, 09:32 PM   #426
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

do any of you play fortnite? I've banned it at our house so far, for the 13 and 10 year old. Is it on the way out yet, or should I just give in and let them play it?

Old 11-04-2018, 10:54 PM   #427
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Have you banned it before the played it, or have they played it before?

My kid plays it and loves it (he’s 11). I don’t have a problem with it as he’s a good kid and we control when he plays it, so no dramas here.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:10 PM   #428
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I banned it before they played it, and then kids of friends of ours installed it on my 13 year old's iPad while we were visiting their house on evening. So he snuck around playing it for a weekend before I found out about it. We removed it and put a password back on his iPad, and I said I hadn't changed my mind about it.

I banned it because I think the premise is in poor taste with all the high school shootings in the U.S. You're not even fighting an enemy, you're chasing down and killing your friends - that's the only objective. I get that it's basically a virtual game of tag or something like that. But I'd rather have my kids outside playing actual tag.

We rode the wave of gaming obsession with Minecraft, Pokemon GO, Battlefront and Overwatch and I just figured they could skip this craze and join in with the next one. But I'm not sure how long this one will last. I know my friend's sons played COD in teams all through high school, so maybe (hopefully not) this game will be around for years yet, in his peer group. Not many kids who are the same age as my younger kid, play it. But my 13 year old is one of a tiny handful in his year that don't play it.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:38 PM   #429
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Lol

Old 11-05-2018, 01:06 AM   #430
redbreegull

what about laser tag

Old 11-05-2018, 01:07 AM   #431
redbreegull

Old 11-05-2018, 01:30 AM   #432
vixnix
Socialphobic

Yeah, it's not substantially different. I did say I think it's basically a version of tag, and that being the case, I'd rather they were outside playing tag.

I don't mind them playing laser tag so much because it involves running around and practising some motor skills.

I did have two reasons for banning it though - not just the nature of the game. Also just to show them that the world wouldn't end if they "sat out" of one gaming craze.

But now I'm just wondering whether for the next five years all of his friends will continue to play it, and he'll be left out, so maybe I should reconsider for his sake and mine so it isn't a huge battle when it doesn't need to be. Or whether its popularity is waning anyway so I can stay my course and let it blow over.

Did any of you guys play it, or is it more for kids...or not popular in the U.S./Canada?

Old 11-05-2018, 01:47 AM   #433
redbreegull

It's super popular here but I have never played it and until you just explained it, I didn't even know the premise

I personally never liked multiplayer games. I would rather get lost in a game by myself. It's introvert time.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:45 AM   #434
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
I don't mind them playing laser tag so much because it involves running around and practising some motor skills.
If kids are going to learn to be mass shooters through violent games, may as well git gud at it. Perhaps the Jacksonville shooter's body count wouldn't have been so pathetically low had gotten a few rounds of laser tag in.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:46 AM   #435
redbreegull

I shot a gun with 28if a few times and was shocked at how similar to a video game it feels.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:47 AM   #436
Disco King
Minion of Satan

If you're going to pursue something, put your all into it. Be the best at it. We're not trying to raise half-assers in this household.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:53 AM   #437
redbreegull

If you are going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start. This could mean losing girlfriends, wives, relatives, jobs. And Maybe your mind. It could mean not eating for three or four days. It could mean freezing on a park bench. It could mean jail. It could mean derision. It could mean mockery, isolation. Isolation is the gift. All others are a test of your endurance. Of how much you really want to do it. And you'll do it, despite rejection in the worst odds. And it will be better than anything else you can imagine. If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods. And the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It's the only good fight there is.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:13 AM   #438
vixnix
Socialphobic

Hmmm this is not helpful you guise

Old 11-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #439
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

got my laptop back boyeeeee

Old 11-05-2018, 03:36 PM   #440
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

don't actually play much anymore, but boy do i love revisiting my fav VG soundtracks

Old 11-06-2018, 01:59 PM   #441
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Can't believe that I wrote off Dishonoured at first. It's pretty damn fun. Thanks for convincing me to give it another shot, Reprise.

Is it just me though, or has the game only got one female voice actress? All the women in the game sound exactly the same.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:49 AM   #442
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

And I bet she was paid less too.

I never completed dishonoured 2. Just didn’t do it for me.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:53 PM   #443
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Playing the first red dead now, first time

Don’t have a ps4 but wanted to join in the dirty ol cowboy party somehow

Fucken still not hooked by this game, although it’s pretty as hell. Seems like it starts awful slow
I also just started playing the first Red Dead (well, the first Red Dead Redemption— apparently, the first Red Dead game was a third-person shooter called Red Dead Revolver that nobody remembers).

I like it so far. It hasn't totally swallowed me whole, but it's fun, and I'm actually preferring Grand Theft Horse to Grand Theft Auto for whatever reason. I think it's the missions? The missions seem more interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
My main barrier is rockstar’s style of doing npcs/peds has never been my favorite

How am i to care about this world when it’s populated almost entirely by ppl who at bottom merely = dots for my pacman to eat?

Not sure ive ever played an open world where i was truly satisfied by the npc interactions, but this and the gtas err hard on the side of arcadey/goomba-stomping type interactions, which breaks my immersion
I agree that the NPCs seem like faceless, interchangeable peons, but I actually feel like Rockstar does NPCs better than most games. The NPCs actually seem to have things to do and places to go. You see them doing shit like getting in and out of cars, doing yoga in the park, buying food, and getting arrested, instead of just loitering and walking around in circles. You get the illusion that they actually have routines, purposes, and lives independent of the player character. Sometimes, it's satisfying to see some of the crazy shit happening in the background that isn't even being caused by you. It's some NPC that's driving recklessly and hitting other cars and running people over, instead of them all being perfectly coordinated with the player being the only source of chaos and mayhem.

Still, one thing that bothers me about traffic in Rocksteady games: vehicles that are turning at intersections don't seem to yield to vehicles going straight through, yet because they are all part of the same hivemind, somehow this works out without confusion amongst the NPC drivers. But as soon as you try to go straight, some turning jackass will drive into you. I don't know enough about video-game AI to know how difficult it would be to programme in the rule that turning cars should typically yield to ones going straight, whether the car going straight is another NPC or the player. Probably much easier to tell them that they can just turn or go straight so long as they won't hit another NPC.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:57 PM   #444
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Wow, this makes me think about self-driving cars: since rules about yielding exist purely because we need some general rules we all follow since we can't read each other's minds, when most cars on the road are automated, they probably won't need such guidelines, because they will all be programmed to know when they can move without hitting other objects. So, they wouldn't need general rules about who yields to whom at an intersection, because they would all know what turns would be possible without having a more-than-acceptable risk of hitting anything.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:58 PM   #445
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Lol dks still pissed that the npc drivers in a GRAND THEFT AUTO GAME aren’t able to obey the rules of left turn yielding

Maybe they will fix it in gta 6 my guy

Old 11-09-2018, 01:04 PM   #446
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Put off the final battle with king koopa in mario odyssey for like a year b/c was sad to see such a fun game end after a swift like only like 25 hrs or so

Had judged it to be a bit of a ripoff in terms of content, and also way too easy af; was really feeling bitter about mario odyssey

But now bowsers dead and omg now it turns out it was just a false ending: there’s like a bunch new platforming areas unlocked in the old worlds, with much greater more difficulty, and like omg like 10,0099,0,0039990.389 more moons to collect, which will open even MORE worlds, gosh!

So glad i decided to kill koopa finally. Still don’t buy it’s a 9/10 3d mario yet, but definitely had judged it prematurely

Old 11-09-2018, 11:15 PM   #447
run2pee
Minion of Satan

I take it back, at least a little bit, about the rockstar npcs complaint i made earlier

Friekin spent, like, at least like several minutes watching a blacksmith start his day in r d redempt last nite, was ENGROSSED and IMMERSED af yall

Games good. Workin for the snake oil dude now or something

Old 11-09-2018, 11:20 PM   #448
Disco King
Minion of Satan

One complaint I have about the game is that combat is made harder by the fact that it's hard to even see those goons against the backdrop when they are far away and shooting at you. Can't even tell where the bullets are coming from.

I get that it wouldn't make sense for a Western simulator to go through route of every other game these days and let you see bad guys through walls and all that shit, but at least design them so they stand out a bit, instead of being brown and grey blobs against a brown and grey background. The problem isn't even the graphics, which are really good, especially for an eight-year-old game made backward compatible on a newer system. It's more of a design issur.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:52 PM   #449
redbreegull

Are you having an issue when it is night? I don't recall it being especially difficult to pick out the enemies from a distance but it's been awhile since I played. RDR2 indicates what direction you are taking fire from as well but I can't recall if that was a feature in the first game

Old 11-10-2018, 10:22 PM   #450
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Anyone plays dead cell? Shits friggen wicked