Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 11:39 PM   #91
Eric Blair
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
so rbg are you trying to say that this isn't similar to apartheid
It might be apartheid for Arab-Isrtaelis living within Israel. I would say the situation in the West Bank and Gaza Strip is probably better described as a brutal foreign occupation.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:42 PM   #92
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Well that describes the settlement of South Africa too, no?

Old 12-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #93
Eric Blair
Apocalyptic Poster

Yes, in the 19th century. Apartheid was different.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:49 PM   #94
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Even during the period of apartheid though, it's not like there had been a transaction where sovereignty was transferred. It continued being a brutal occupation by a foreign forces, just with different rules.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #95
Eric Blair
Apocalyptic Poster

Black South Africans weren't living in a separate state or territory with different political leaders or ambitions of totally independent statehood. The comparison just doesn't work for Palestinian Arabs living outside of Israel. Also there is a military element to the conflict which just wasn't there in the apartheid system. Apartheid was the state oppressing its own citizens. That is not what is happening in the West Bank or Gaza Strip.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #96
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
there's no systematic extermination at work here

there is systematic ethnic separation into "homeland" areas though so i agree with the similarity to apartheid

the definition of lowercase h holocaust should be relegated to archaic status but nuclear holocaust is still a thing
I think that "holocaust" is still recognized enough as any massively destructive event that it's not really accurate to say it means only genocide

Old 12-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #97
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Blair View Post
Black South Africans weren't living in a separate state or territory with different political leaders or ambitions of totally independent statehood.
see i always thought that was the idea of the "Homelands" but you're pretty much smarter than nearly everyone here so i'm not even gonna fact check this

Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 AM   #98
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I think that "holocaust" is still recognized enough as any massively destructive event that it's not really accurate to say it means only genocide
well this isn't a "holocaust" by those terms either, and to use it in anything else other than nuclear annihilation or a full scale destructive bombing campaign (see: Dresden) is deceptive at best and misleading at worst

Old 12-12-2012, 12:25 AM   #99
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Black South Africans weren't living in a separate state or territory with different political leaders or ambitions of totally independent statehood. The comparison just doesn't work for Palestinian Arabs living outside of Israel. Also there is a military element to the conflict which just wasn't there in the apartheid system. Apartheid was the state oppressing its own citizens. That is not what is happening in the West Bank or Gaza Strip.
I said myself it isn't a flawless comparison, just that there are some significant similarities, like forced displacement, lack of freedom of movement, highly disparate socio-economic circumstances between the two groups, etc.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #100
redbreegull

Quote:
well this isn't a "holocaust" by those terms either, and to use it in anything else other than nuclear annihilation or a full scale destructive bombing campaign (see: Dresden) is deceptive at best and misleading at worst
are you just being argumentative for fuck's sake? in the most basic terms it just means destruction or massacre on a large scale, which is obviously subjective. it's not like definitively, denotationally incorrect to say that killing hundreds of civilians constitutes a holocaust

Old 12-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #101
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Try calling a bombing or shooting anywhere, that killed HUNDREDS of civilians 'holocaust' in front of relatives of actual survivors of the holocaust, and see what happens.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:58 AM   #102
Trotskilicious
Banned

redbreegull do you just never have anyone disagree with you in real life because you surround yourself with stoned hippy degenerates that don't know anything

Old 12-12-2012, 01:01 AM   #103
redbreegull

yes that must be it because there is no other way I could just think your point is wrong.

and pavementtune, what kind of argument is that? the word is emotionally charged therefore it is improper to use it in any context outside "THE" Holocaust? That might be a legitimate point but it is not what we were talking about. you're moving from a quantitative argument to a qualitative one

Old 12-12-2012, 01:04 AM   #104
Trotskilicious
Banned

but that's the thing, you don't think it's wrong you just don't like that i'm challenging you

Old 12-12-2012, 01:04 AM   #105
Eric Blair
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
see i always thought that was the idea of the "Homelands" but you're pretty much smarter than nearly everyone here so i'm not even gonna fact check this
You probably should, my history is kind of fuzzy here. My understanding was that the bantustans were the initiative of the National party and that they weren't ever really taken seriously as independent nations. But actually, I suppose that is what the Israelis are *kind* of doing with the separation wall, so maybe there is more of a comparison than I am allowing. Although here the wall isn't trying to create new nations as much as it is trying to annex one.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:14 AM   #106
redbreegull

Quote:
but that's the thing, you don't think it's wrong you just don't like that i'm challenging you
you know that thing where you always tell me how presumptuous I am and I try to show you that you are the worst offender of assuming you know how people think and feel?

I legitimately think your point isn't very strong. I understand that the word holocaust has become very connotative and very charged with a specific meaning, but I also don't think that it is "archaic" if used in another manner. I've definitely seen it used outside that context enough times in texts that it hasn't fallen out of usage or understanding.

Also, how many people constitutes a slaughter? Howabout a massacre? Was the Boston Massacre a massacre? How much destruction needs to be done for it to be considered a catastrophe? A disaster?

Old 12-12-2012, 01:20 AM   #107
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
Question

In what kind of books have you read the term 'holocaust' as a synonym for killing hundreds of civilians, just out of curiosity.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:28 AM   #108
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
You probably should, my history is kind of fuzzy here. My understanding was that the bantustans were the initiative of the National party and that they weren't ever really taken seriously as independent nations
right it was all lip service but isn't that true of the palestinian zones?

i was under the impression that the gaza strip and the west bank were given to palestinians in the 90s as semi-autonomous lands after being part of israel proper since the 50s but i could again be wrong about that

Old 12-12-2012, 01:30 AM   #109
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
you know that thing where you always tell me how presumptuous I am and I try to show you that you are the worst offender of assuming you know how people think and feel?

I legitimately think your point isn't very strong. I understand that the word holocaust has become very connotative and very charged with a specific meaning, but I also don't think that it is "archaic" if used in another manner. I've definitely seen it used outside that context enough times in texts that it hasn't fallen out of usage or understanding.

Also, how many people constitutes a slaughter? Howabout a massacre? Was the Boston Massacre a massacre? How much destruction needs to be done for it to be considered a catastrophe? A disaster?
you are quite literally arguing semantics

all i would like is for the lower case h holocaust to be used with reverence and restraint

and no the boston massacre wasn't a massacre like three people were shot but they called it that to make people angry because it was propaganda against the english

Old 12-12-2012, 02:55 AM   #110
cocksure
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
In what kind of books have you read the term 'holocaust' as a synonym for killing hundreds of civilians, just out of curiosity.
yeah, in german discourse on this, there is only one holocaust, anything else would be considered a tasteless metaphor i guess.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:58 AM   #111
pavementtune

This might be different in the US, I don't know, but I remember people being taken to court in Germany for that sort of thing.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:32 AM   #112
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocksure View Post
yeah, in german discourse on this, there is only one holocaust, anything else would be considered a tasteless metaphor i guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
This might be different in the US, I don't know, but I remember people being taken to court in Germany for that sort of thing.
I don't know how "holocaust" translates in German, but I think it's pretty obvious that its context in German is going to be different than anywhere else. Stop fucking arguing with me just because you feel like being a dickhead.

Trots, you also seem to be moving into this qualitative argument that it is not appropriate morally to use the word in other contexts, which is not something that I have issue with. You seem to have abandoned your earlier argument that holocaust requires a certain number of deaths to be legitimate...?

I may be arguing semantics, but only because you started. "Holocust is not the word that is specifically correct in this circumstance because it is misleading to use when only a few hundred people died because of connotation"

Old 12-12-2012, 03:33 AM   #113
Trotskilicious
Banned

i didn't make that argument

Old 12-12-2012, 03:35 AM   #114
Trotskilicious
Banned

it's not the #s its the method since before The Holocaust it meant "mass death by immolation" so i limit it to nuclear holocaust and i'll accept it if referring to incredibly destructive bombing campaigns like what happened to dresden or saddam's strikes on the oil fields of kuwait during the first gulf war

otherwise it's hyperbole.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:39 AM   #115
redbreegull

ok webster

Old 12-12-2012, 03:40 AM   #116
redbreegull

before THE HOLOCAUST it actually literally meant a Jewish ritual sacrifice by fire but whatever

Old 12-12-2012, 03:51 AM   #117
pavementtune

How is it pretty obvious that the context of the holocaust is different in German than anywhere else? How the fuck would language change the context of a historical fact?

And your argument to use the term incorrectly is that it was used differently hundreds of years ago?

Old 12-12-2012, 04:01 AM   #118
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
ok webster
and you wonder why everyone thinks you're a douchey little cretin

get fucked you clown

Old 12-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #119
cocksure
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I don't know how "holocaust" translates in German, but I think it's pretty obvious that its context in German is going to be different than anywhere else. Stop fucking arguing with me just because you feel like being a dickhead.

Trots, you also seem to be moving into this qualitative argument that it is not appropriate morally to use the word in other contexts, which is not something that I have issue with. You seem to have abandoned your earlier argument that holocaust requires a certain number of deaths to be legitimate...?

I may be arguing semantics, but only because you started. "Holocust is not the word that is specifically correct in this circumstance because it is misleading to use when only a few hundred people died because of connotation"
what the hell are you talking about? is this directed at me?

Old 12-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #120
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

this thread is destined to do nothing but make people hate RBG.