Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2021, 04:25 PM   #1
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Raskolnikov's Avatar
 
Location: California
Posts: 1,900
Default Arising Hodgepodge Thoughts/Q

So, that (admittedly awesome) 10 seconds per album thread got me thinking about what my answers would be. Led me down a rabbit hole.

For Pisces, La Dolly Vita is it. When it comes back for that final push and Jimmy tears out like a famished wolverine heading into a kitten farm - just so much fun, with those guitars coming over in waves. Tough to beat. May be my favorite Jimmy moment on any SP album, period.

Realizing that I then of course needed to hear that live - pulled up the 4/14/99 Soundboard - man, how have I never really listened to this one? The drums are high in that soundboard mix which is QUITE OK for that portion of the song:

https://archive.org/details/ArisingT...Dolly+Vita.mp3

Thought that was worthy of sharing for sure...

Then, a thought - did they know that Jimmy was back when the tickets went on sale? Or when that show started in Detroit, was that breaking news? Can't remember how that all played out.

Who else here was at an Arising show? I lucked out and was at the Roxy. Forever immortalized as the best concert I'll ever be able to see.

 
Raskolnikov is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:02 PM   #2
Alice
Minion of Satan
 
Alice's Avatar
 
Location: i am volatile, a free spirit, a rogue agent
Posts: 6,256
Default

Dang this is great, yeah. Thanks for posting. Gonna maybe sit down and listen to a Smashing Pumpkins show for the first time in years and possibly feel some feelings because of this thread.

MTV reported, on April 6th, that Jimmy was rumored to be back for the tour:

http://www.mtv.com/news/513327/origi...hing-pumpkins/

Given that this was four days before it started it seems like people probably didn't know when tickets went on sale? Never thought about this. Must have been a real fun surprise if that is indeed how it happened

 
Alice is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:04 PM   #3
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL
 
reprise85's Avatar
 
Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face
Posts: 32,111
Default

I love that part of La Dolly Vita, I used to play it all the time when I had a drumset

 
reprise85 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:04 PM   #4
Alice
Minion of Satan
 
Alice's Avatar
 
Location: i am volatile, a free spirit, a rogue agent
Posts: 6,256
Default

The crowd chanting Jimmy's name at the end there sure does warm the cockles some doesn't it

 
Alice is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:05 PM   #5
Alice
Minion of Satan
 
Alice's Avatar
 
Location: i am volatile, a free spirit, a rogue agent
Posts: 6,256
Default

Plus that solid D'arcy banter. Sure do miss this band sometimes

 
Alice is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:52 PM   #6
Ram27
dumb
 
Ram27's Avatar
 
Location: corgan cult
Posts: 8,744
Default

oh wow I didn't realize it was a SURPRISE too holy fucking hell

 
Ram27 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:43 PM   #7
T&T
Socialphobic
 
T&T's Avatar
 
Location: montreal
Posts: 10,262
Default

it wasn't advertised that jimmy was back.
fans didn't know. it was the best news in the world.
the band obviously knew.

 
T&T is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:02 AM   #8
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Raskolnikov's Avatar
 
Location: California
Posts: 1,900
Default

I think another piece of what made this era so damn cool was that it was RIGHT as MP3 technology advanced to the same speed as the internet - so the show could be taped on 4/10/99, and by that same week, I had MP3s the show and was losing my SHIT over the new songs. I had tickets for the last date of the tour, Jimmy was back, the other three were still there... the banter and on stage presence seemed so good... it just seemed like all was right in Pumpkin land.

Have probably shared my Roxy story enough around here to where people are sick of me, but listening to this soundboard has me all nostalgic, so...

I had seen them once on the Adore tour in LA, but was just smack in the middle of FULL fanboy status since I had gotten into them back in 95. I heard about the Arising tour, and online ticket sales were really just a first at that time... so I went full hog for a pair to get into the Roxy, having no idea just how cut-throat it would be. Didn't go through, naturally, site hang... 56kbps AOL dialup couldn't handle it. I was so bummed. So I just literally mashed my refresh button out of spite and somehow I got two.

Took my best buddy who I've known since 1st Grade. Parents drove us to LA from OC in the minivan. Dropped us off in line, looking just as cool as one could imagine with my mom wishing us to have a good time, and then later coming back with a sack of McDonalds so we didn't get hungry. As the doors open, the scalpers got more hungry - some guy literally offered me $1000 in cash for my ticket. I proudly turned him down and went in.

Show is a mix of nostalgia, haze and just sheer awe. We were ten feet away from in a legendary LA club from my heroes. I was blown away by how loud it was, having never been to a club show. Remember feeling like Queens of the Stone Age bass levels were doing some sort of damage to my sternum, my chest rattled for the first time at show volumes.

Bless whoever taped that show - means more to me than nearly any other bootleg does. Searched for it for years, was a bear to find.

Sigh - what a wonderful little "era" of the band.

 
Raskolnikov is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:25 AM   #9
Ram27
dumb
 
Ram27's Avatar
 
Location: corgan cult
Posts: 8,744
Default

never heard that before actually despite always enjoying your posts. very cool

so jealous of everyone that got to see the proper lineup. like i saw them at aragon in 2018 and that was probably the most legit SP gig you could get these days - small historic venue, standing room, james and jimmy. got dross and never let me down again

 
Ram27 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:07 AM   #10
Big Truck05
Ownz
 
Big Truck05's Avatar
 
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
I think another piece of what made this era so damn cool was that it was RIGHT as MP3 technology advanced to the same speed as the internet - so the show could be taped on 4/10/99, and by that same week, I had MP3s the show and was losing my SHIT over the new songs. I had tickets for the last date of the tour, Jimmy was back, the other three were still there... the banter and on stage presence seemed so good... it just seemed like all was right in Pumpkin land.

Have probably shared my Roxy story enough around here to where people are sick of me, but listening to this soundboard has me all nostalgic, so...

I had seen them once on the Adore tour in LA, but was just smack in the middle of FULL fanboy status since I had gotten into them back in 95. I heard about the Arising tour, and online ticket sales were really just a first at that time... so I went full hog for a pair to get into the Roxy, having no idea just how cut-throat it would be. Didn't go through, naturally, site hang... 56kbps AOL dialup couldn't handle it. I was so bummed. So I just literally mashed my refresh button out of spite and somehow I got two.

Took my best buddy who I've known since 1st Grade. Parents drove us to LA from OC in the minivan. Dropped us off in line, looking just as cool as one could imagine with my mom wishing us to have a good time, and then later coming back with a sack of McDonalds so we didn't get hungry. As the doors open, the scalpers got more hungry - some guy literally offered me $1000 in cash for my ticket. I proudly turned him down and went in.

Show is a mix of nostalgia, haze and just sheer awe. We were ten feet away from in a legendary LA club from my heroes. I was blown away by how loud it was, having never been to a club show. Remember feeling like Queens of the Stone Age bass levels were doing some sort of damage to my sternum, my chest rattled for the first time at show volumes.

Bless whoever taped that show - means more to me than nearly any other bootleg does. Searched for it for years, was a bear to find.

Sigh - what a wonderful little "era" of the band.
A fellow OC Netphorian... Nice!

 
Big Truck05 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:34 AM   #11
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Funbags's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,855
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
For Pisces, La Dolly Vita is it. When it comes back for that final push and Jimmy tears out like a famished wolverine heading into a kitten farm - just so much fun, with those guitars coming over in waves. Tough to beat. May be my favorite Jimmy moment on any SP album, period.

Realizing that I then of course needed to hear that live - pulled up the 4/14/99 Soundboard - man, how have I never really listened to this one? The drums are high in that soundboard mix which is QUITE OK for that portion of the song:

https://archive.org/details/ArisingT...Dolly+Vita.mp3
I love how the crazy snare roll breaks into a tom fill at the end like bursting fireworks. Jimmy is a master at containing and releasing energy on the drums.

 
Funbags is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:30 PM   #12
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 2,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
oh wow I didn't realize it was a SURPRISE too holy fucking hell
In some interview a while back (I want to say during the Oceania era), Billy mentioned the minute or so during the first Arising show from the band walking on stage, the audience realizing Jimmy really was back in the fold, and then blasting into "I Am One" might have been the happiest/best moment he ever had on stage.

 
themadcaplaughs is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:02 PM   #13
TheAlter
Demi-God
 
TheAlter's Avatar
 
Posts: 321
Default

Wow, i didn't know they managed to play once again as the original band in 1999. Special memory for sure, cheers

 
TheAlter is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:03 PM   #14
TheAlter
Demi-God
 
TheAlter's Avatar
 
Posts: 321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
I love that part of La Dolly Vita, I used to play it all the time when I had a drumset
What happened to your drumset. What happened to our dreams

 
TheAlter is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:16 AM   #15
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Raskolnikov's Avatar
 
Location: California
Posts: 1,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
In some interview a while back (I want to say during the Oceania era), Billy mentioned the minute or so during the first Arising show from the band walking on stage, the audience realizing Jimmy really was back in the fold, and then blasting into "I Am One" might have been the happiest/best moment he ever had on stage.
I could believe that... at that point, I bet he thought that D'Arcy could hold it together. What a bummer that would have been to enjoy that victory lap of a tour, get into the studio to start laying down some great new songs only to realize that, no, no... she can't hold it together.

That said, that comment def deserves a posting of this:



Which leads me to think - does anybody know definitively if the full video of that show exists? Because... yeah, I think I would ultimately rather have that than the Metro 2000 show, which may be blasphemy.

 
Raskolnikov is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:22 AM   #16
Ram27
dumb
 
Ram27's Avatar
 
Location: corgan cult
Posts: 8,744
Default

it must exist, at least as pieces of raw footage, i would hope. why set up an elaborate multicam shoot then film 3 songs

i kind of agree with you, if i first convince myself that it'd be super cool and mysterious and poetic if the metro show only existed as shitty partial audio with yelling girls. the only people to ever hear that last silverfuck were in the room

 
Ram27 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:59 AM   #17
TheAlter
Demi-God
 
TheAlter's Avatar
 
Posts: 321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
I could believe that... at that point, I bet he thought that D'Arcy could hold it together. What a bummer that would have been to enjoy that victory lap of a tour, get into the studio to start laying down some great new songs only to realize that, no, no... she can't hold it together.

That said, that comment def deserves a posting of this:



Which leads me to think - does anybody know definitively if the full video of that show exists? Because... yeah, I think I would ultimately rather have that than the Metro 2000 show, which may be blasphemy.
D'arcy looks already out of her mind but the behemoth behind drums is there, the guitars, the attack, the stage presence. That's the only band ever

 
TheAlter is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:29 AM   #18
Ram27
dumb
 
Ram27's Avatar
 
Location: corgan cult
Posts: 8,744
Default

3:06 does corgan have the lyrics on a teleprompter?

yeah i always thought d'arcy looked kinda weird and strung out this whole tour

 
Ram27 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:47 AM   #19
TheAlter
Demi-God
 
TheAlter's Avatar
 
Posts: 321
Default

It looks like a teleprompter indeed. By 1999 Billy was already in fuck the "old" songs mode so he probably needed some warm up.

D'arcy's transformation is unfuckingbelievable She looks almost disfigured where just less than a year earlier on the Adore tour she was at the height of her beauty.

 
TheAlter is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:28 AM   #20
T&T
Socialphobic
 
T&T's Avatar
 
Location: montreal
Posts: 10,262
Default

All the d'arcy hate...

I always imagined that EVERYONE in a band at this caliber has a breakdown. some are just more public than others. Jimmy had his, billy kicked him out for a while. I'm sure while billy had his the band just took a break. -
after years of being a pillar, d'arcy hits her breaking point, and billy decides "whatever, show must go on" and he takes her on tour anyways.
billy is a twat.

I wonder when James had his, and how well he hid it.

 
T&T is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:02 AM   #21
Alice
Minion of Satan
 
Alice's Avatar
 
Location: i am volatile, a free spirit, a rogue agent
Posts: 6,256
Default

Yeah the turn this thread just took is a great example of why I hardly ever read the SP board and am almost always disappointed when I do. Should have just taken the link and got out. Please consider being less terrible if you can

 
Alice is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:08 AM   #22
TheAlter
Demi-God
 
TheAlter's Avatar
 
Posts: 321
Default

Where’s all the D’arcy hate you are talking about?

 
TheAlter is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:07 PM   #23
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 2,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
It looks like a teleprompter indeed. By 1999 Billy was already in fuck the "old" songs mode so he probably needed some warm up.

D'arcy's transformation is unfuckingbelievable She looks almost disfigured where just less than a year earlier on the Adore tour she was at the height of her beauty.
In that Flood Q&A from a while back (maybe 2009), he mentioned that the point of the "mini-tour" was to work out song arrangements and determine which songs were "top-tier" songs. It's entirely possible lyrics to some of these songs were written weeks before the tour (if not days).

And yea, definitely a shame how it went downhill with D'arcy after that brief highlight of them playing together. Flood also mentioned in that Q&A that she'd been going to the rehearsal space less and less when they were working out the songs, and the hope was this would re-energize everyone to get the recording process started.

D'arcy was apparently incredibly approachable and friendly to fans after these shows. I distinctly remember people on various boards/chats talking to her after the show and saying she openly admitted this was likely her last hurrah with the band. At the time, most people dismissed it because the performances were on fire, but months later they announced she left. Knowing what we do now, she probably left days after this tour ended.

 
themadcaplaughs is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:49 PM   #24
TheAlter
Demi-God
 
TheAlter's Avatar
 
Posts: 321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
In that Flood Q&A from a while back (maybe 2009), he mentioned that the point of the "mini-tour" was to work out song arrangements and determine which songs were "top-tier" songs. It's entirely possible lyrics to some of these songs were written weeks before the tour (if not days).

And yea, definitely a shame how it went downhill with D'arcy after that brief highlight of them playing together. Flood also mentioned in that Q&A that she'd been going to the rehearsal space less and less when they were working out the songs, and the hope was this would re-energize everyone to get the recording process started.

D'arcy was apparently incredibly approachable and friendly to fans after these shows. I distinctly remember people on various boards/chats talking to her after the show and saying she openly admitted this was likely her last hurrah with the band. At the time, most people dismissed it because the performances were on fire, but months later they announced she left. Knowing what we do now, she probably left days after this tour ended.
Great insight. She left and the prism somehow fell apart. Which is peculiar considering this was the band with arguably the biggest control freak of the 90s lol

 
TheAlter is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:19 PM   #25
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Forgotten Child's Avatar
 
Location: SP, Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts: 3,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
All the d'arcy hate...

I always imagined that EVERYONE in a band at this caliber has a breakdown. some are just more public than others. Jimmy had his, billy kicked him out for a while. I'm sure while billy had his the band just took a break. -
after years of being a pillar, d'arcy hits her breaking point, and billy decides "whatever, show must go on" and he takes her on tour anyways.
billy is a twat.

I wonder when James had his, and how well he hid it.
The story told by Darcy is that the band gave her time to recover and relax. She was supposed to be on holidays to later come back to the tour, but then the band found out she was using the time to get ready to shoot a movie with Mickey Rourke. She was then fired.

 
Forgotten Child is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:30 PM   #26
cork_soaker
full of longing
 
cork_soaker's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,308
Default

he was her mick jagger, after all

 
cork_soaker is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:37 AM   #27
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Raskolnikov's Avatar
 
Location: California
Posts: 1,900
Default

To pull it back on the rails - just re-watched that I Am One and realized that the only versions of those MPEGs out there on YouTube the uploader dude has mixed audio from the audience recordings in... which yeah, kind of makes sense, but also kind of doesn't. For the posterity of future generations, here's a DL link with the original 3 MPEG files from the site for those of you who are random digital hoarders like me:

https://we.tl/t-rpuHCbMUOM

That comment about D'Arcy after the shows is reallllly making me wish I could go back in time to wait around after that gig in LA to meet the band. Sadly, again - rookie teenager didn't know that was a thing, and the parents' had the minivan idling in the hourly parking lot down the street, so had to bounce.

 
Raskolnikov is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:43 AM   #28
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Raskolnikov's Avatar
 
Location: California
Posts: 1,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
i kind of agree with you, if i first convince myself that it'd be super cool and mysterious and poetic if the metro show only existed as shitty partial audio with yelling girls. the only people to ever hear that last silverfuck were in the room
I've never caved and listened to that audience recording of 12/2/00 - going to wait for an eventual release, if that day ever comes. If not, that's cool. It's one I can honestly live or live without.

In my pretentious mind, I saw the last SP show that night at The Roxy when they utterly slayed Geek USA following some quintessential James Iha hair metal voice... it was SO SO HOT in that room.

"One more, for brutality's sake."

https://archive.org/details/tsp1999-...04.24D2t05.shn

You can hear right at the end before it fades, but he wrapped by saying "God bless all you motherfuckers..."

 
Raskolnikov is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:07 PM   #29
smashedguava
Pledge
 
Location: Respectfully Vorkuta
Posts: 93
Default

I was at the 4/10 show in Detroit. Did not know Jimmy was back until they started handing out “Welcome back Jimmy” signs (just printed pages really). This will likely be hard to beat concert wise for the rest of my days. When Jimmy came out and they laid down I Am One as the opener, the place literally was going nuts. The adrenaline and rush from that show was something I’ll always remember fondly.

 
smashedguava is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:43 AM   #30
paranoid
Minion of Satan
 
paranoid's Avatar
 
Location: up a tree
Posts: 5,848
Default

Darcy in the middle of a meltdown or not, she played her ass off on this tour. That I am one footage looks to me like she was enjoying herself on stage.

 
paranoid is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arising Questions Cruiser Pumpkins Archive 19 03-03-2010 02:45 PM
i bought an arising shirt off a bum tonight undersco_red Pumpkins Archive 43 08-12-2007 03:39 PM
Arising Tour Videos? Palithius Pumpkins Archive 17 01-09-2007 03:50 PM
arising poster dollar5dotnet Pumpkins Archive 50 09-27-2006 04:45 PM
Best sounding Arising! show? Raskolnikov Pumpkins Archive 34 06-09-2006 12:04 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:52 AM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2020