Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2021, 06:13 AM   #421
Greatvegetable
Ownz

It's a weird argument because MCIS had more variety and power than all the post Zeitgeist albums put together, probably because it went to the extremes, which none of the post 2007 music has. I say 2007 because although Zeitgeist is much derided, I still think it has the power and conviction of an SP album.

So, when people talk about going back to MCIS style, what do they mean? It's tough to find five songs on that album that sound like they were written with one project in mind. That's what I love about double albums - they often throw the stylistic element out of the window. Can he do that convincingly with another one? I doubt it.

So, I think the question is will he ever make ambitious music with an expansive variety of extreme elements (and that includes extreme heaviness, extreme beauty, extreme delicacy, extreme wildness) again?

Old 04-08-2021, 06:16 AM   #422
TheAlter
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
why is everyone who's making this claim oblivious to the fact that he unsuccessfully tried already?

a song like Quasar is a clear example of trying to bring back the SD rawr
AMEN

And Doomsday fucking Clock? United Statez? Solara?

If he were able to write another Cherub or Bullet or 1979 he would do it in a heartbeat.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:07 AM   #423
incubator
Ownz

He's going to take the sweet outside with this MCIS sequel. You'll see.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:42 AM   #424
TheAlter
Demi-God

Can't wait! Think about all the dry-ass metal riffs and factory preset synth sounds he's going to cram into a 33-song opus magnum.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:27 AM   #425
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Art Rioter View Post
Oceania was the deep dive revisit of some old school Pumpkins tropes. Looking back it was pretty successful compared to what came after but I'd bet Corgan would think it didn't work to push the band to the levels of the 90s
There were no singles on it! None!

A few ok hooks later on in the album but the first half of Oceania is forgettable bottom-tier Pumpkins.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:52 AM   #426
incubator
Ownz

that was on purpose it was an absolutely groundbreaking full album experience.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:10 AM   #427
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

I mean he'd just recorded Tom, Tom, Owata etc. Nobody heard them because they part of the Teargarden project, and their production was crappy.

But scrub them up and they'd have made a stronger first half than... I can't even remember the tracks from the first half of Oceania honestly... One Candle One Fart, The Celestials... whatever Zzz.

Yes, those Teargarden tracks are better songs than most of Oceania, they were just produced in the worst possible way.

Last edited by VoxUpDoc : 04-08-2021 at 09:57 AM.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:54 AM   #428
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

If you were sat on the material for Oceania... something like this would've been more commercially viable (pretending for a second the TG tracks were re-recorded).

Teargarden (Theme)
Panopticon
Freak
Tom Tom
My Love Is Winter
Owata
The Chimera
Pinwheels
Oceania
Pale Horse
Glissandra
Inkless
Spangled (Hidden track: Cottonwood Symphony)

Quasar is fucking terrible, replaced with Teargarden theme out of disrespect.

Last edited by VoxUpDoc : 04-08-2021 at 10:15 AM.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:11 AM   #429
incubator
Ownz

Something like this would've been more commercially viable:

Produced by Jack Antonoff
Beautiful woman on the cover instead of a tower that contains such fragile beauty
Same songs but played slower and 2 steps down
WPC sings like Roger Miret of Agnostic Front fame
Put a banging donk on it

Old 04-08-2021, 10:14 AM   #430
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
Something like this would've been more commercially viable:

Produced by Jack Antonoff
Beautiful woman on the cover instead of a tower that contains such fragile beauty
Same songs but played slower and 2 steps down
WPC sings like Roger Miret of Agnostic Front fame
Put a banging donk on it
Triple platinum.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:15 AM   #431
incubator
Ownz

Cyr could also be improved by having Roger Miret do all of the vocals and changing the lyrics to cover typical Roger Miret topics like living for the scene, dying for the scene, defending the scene and being betrayed by people within the scene.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:53 AM   #432
eviltimeban
Ownz

Oceania would've been better with Jimmy on drums (clearly) and a little bit of trimming. Like, we didn't really need One Diamond One Heart. But on a recent listen I was surprised as to the quality of tracks like Pale Horse, especially in comparison with the more recent albums.

SD existed because at that time that was a sound - shoegaze / grunge / 70s rock all went into the stew. He just took elements from Catherine, MBV, Zeppelin, Queen, and heavy metal, sang like a girl and gave the songs weird one-word titles. But that was a very 90s thing anyway.

This 33 track album could be anything, but I doubt we're getting another Cyr. I'd say what we'll get is something more like Teargarden, but with Jimmy on drums.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:18 PM   #433
incubator
Ownz

He said recently on Later...With Jools Holland (uk people can catch it on iplayer) that they set "a marker" in the 90s and then gave everyone 20 or so years to catch up. Now he's heard some contemporary acts that have caught up (he named Ohhms, The Microdance, Guilty Parents and some others) he's going to set another market but this time he's "extremely confident" that'll take way more than 20 years for anyone to catch up. He described it as "SP plus plus".

Old 04-08-2021, 01:16 PM   #434
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
He said recently on Later...With Jools Holland (uk people can catch it on iplayer) that they set "a marker" in the 90s and then gave everyone 20 or so years to catch up. Now he's heard some contemporary acts that have caught up (he named Ohhms, The Microdance, Guilty Parents and some others) he's going to set another market but this time he's "extremely confident" that'll take way more than 20 years for anyone to catch up. He described it as "SP plus plus".

Not actually a recent episode I take it?

Old 04-08-2021, 01:58 PM   #435
TheAlter
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
SD existed because at that time that was a sound - shoegaze / grunge / 70s rock all went into the stew. He just took elements from Catherine, MBV, Zeppelin, Queen, and heavy metal, sang like a girl and gave the songs weird one-word titles. But that was a very 90s thing anyway.
Had it been so easy, everyone would have done it.

A lot of it was a product of pure, young, unfiltered talent, sensibility and luck. The moment he started overthinking, everything went to shit. The fucking gowns...

Old 04-08-2021, 02:42 PM   #436
jimmy drevpile
Ownz

Quote:
Link? Recently... (?)

Old 04-08-2021, 03:18 PM   #437
Greatvegetable
Ownz

Quote:
I can guarantee with utmost certainty that he's never heard The Microdance and even if he had, he'd hate it with spiteful venom!

Old 04-08-2021, 04:51 PM   #438
TheAlter
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatvegetable View Post
I can guarantee with utmost certainty that he's never heard The Microdance and even if he had, he'd hate it with spiteful venom!
Of course he’d be upset. Track #2 off your album is basically a rip-off of Mouths of Babes!

Old 04-08-2021, 05:05 PM   #439
Greatvegetable
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
Of course he’d be upset. Track #2 off your album is basically a rip-off of Mouths of Babes!
Oh yeah, those mellow verses, female vocals and shoegazy/new wavey outro. Almost identical.

Thanks for listening though, really appreciate that. X

Old 04-08-2021, 05:09 PM   #440
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Canít believe Iíve been visiting a Microdance forum for 20 years.

Old 04-08-2021, 05:16 PM   #441
Greatvegetable
Ownz

Anyway, I'm going to shush my beak, lest I get banned forever. Carry on with the abuse and I'll just lurk.

Although, I should imagine without me going on, my band would be beneath all of your levels of interest.

Old 04-08-2021, 05:23 PM   #442
TheAlter
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatvegetable View Post
Anyway, I'm going to shush my beak, lest I get banned forever. Carry on with the abuse and I'll just lurk.

Although, I should imagine without me going on, my band would be beneath all of your levels of interest.
The main riff is pretty similar, címon. Anyway my bad, this is not the right thread for microdance critique, I reckon.

Old 04-08-2021, 05:26 PM   #443
Greatvegetable
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
The main riff is pretty similar, címon. Anyway my bad, this is not the right thread for microdance critique, I reckon.
Hadn't listened to that song for probably 10 years when I wrote it. Definitely not intentional!

Anyway... Shhhh.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:49 PM   #444
slunken
Virgo

Cyr would be much more interesting if the lyrics weren't absolute garbage.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:50 PM   #445
slunken
Virgo

I bet in this sequel we're going to songs with titles like "Let's Go (To The Rock Show)"

Old 04-08-2021, 07:50 PM   #446
slunken
Virgo

and there are going to be little references like "i bought my ticket for a ride" I bet you a thousand dollars

Old 04-08-2021, 07:51 PM   #447
slunken
Virgo

it's going to be so lame

Old 04-08-2021, 08:46 PM   #448
Ram27
dumb

the circus costs five pence
don't you guys hate mike pence

Old 04-08-2021, 10:04 PM   #449
slunken
Virgo