Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 01-14-2019, 01:11 PM   #61
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Thumbs down

I had the chance to go to one of the shows but declined, having seen the Pumpkins many times before

It would have been a pain in the ass to get to the venue and I didn't think I'd be missing much

Looking back, though, not going is up there with my four failed marriages and the time I hit and killed a child with my car (never caught, so no harm done) as the greatest regret of my life

Old 01-14-2019, 01:51 PM   #62
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

damn

Old 01-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #63
SPLATTER
Demi-God

they were a much better stadium band

Old 01-14-2019, 06:17 PM   #64
coolstorybro
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashedguava View Post
I went to the first show in Detroit on April 10th. Easily the best SP concert I've ever been to. As stated earlier, you could feel it in the air that this was going to be something special. The band was absolutely on fire and the crowd was ridiculously into the show. Tickets were all general admission and myself and couple friends were located at about what would be considered the "3rd row" of standing people. We were packed in like sardines and all you could literally do was move with the wave of people as the surge ebbed and flowed.

Specifics I remember:
- Someone had printed out 'Welcome Back Jimmy' signs and passed them out to everyone
- Being approached by crackheads in line who were trying to sell a hair dryer.
- The crowd kept chanting Geek USA through the entirety of the set. When it finally was played everyone was going nuts
- I remember leaving thinking that this would be the return of the band to it's former glory only for it to truly be the beginning of the end
I heard the recording on archive.org, the crowd sounded great.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #65
coolstorybro
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
I had the chance to go to one of the shows but declined, having seen the Pumpkins many times before

It would have been a pain in the ass to get to the venue and I didn't think I'd be missing much

Looking back, though, not going is up there with my four failed marriages and the time I hit and killed a child with my car (never caught, so no harm done) as the greatest regret of my life
Probably the kid's fault anyways

Old 01-14-2019, 11:57 PM   #66
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

It was, I was there

the band were amazing afterward but I was still shook up just from seeing the horrible events topleybird had incurred beforehand. However, most of those feelings were alleviated when Bill & co took the stage and rocked our fucking asses off. Even "Blew Away" was an otherworldly experience, god damn. By "I Am One" I was literally in tears. D'arcy looked hot as fuck and throughout the night continuously put to rest any idea that she couldn't handle her instrument. James was cool & funny as per usual, and Jimmy, jesus christ.

Overall, a life changing experience that i'm just glad I was able to attend despite being only 9 years old and probably at home playing Pokemon instead of witnessing any of the events I've described above.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:43 AM   #67
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
Wow, and set isn't even tainted by HMM. However, putting With Every Light and If there is a god at the end is brutal. Those songs are pretty bad.
Good point - must have been before TEG or HMM were written, as neither of those got in the way.

That said - if you're thinking that With Every Light is a bad song, you're missing the boat big time.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:44 AM   #68
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
If it’s LA you could buy the bacon-wrapped hotdog (w fried onions)
Very true. But I feel like the LA DOGZ carts that just appear out of thin air after any/every event of any size in LA weren't quite a thing yet. Nowadays, those badasses just show up and you are forced to make that illogical food choice due to the raw power of the smell of those babies.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:46 AM   #69
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
Queens of the Stone Age are a band worth looking up. This is vital information in 2019.
Not QOTSA - meant their first album. Was out of print for so long that I thought that many may have skipped it and headed for their newer more buzz-y albums.

This jam slays me:

Last edited by Raskolnikov : 01-15-2019 at 01:54 AM.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:49 AM   #70
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

A few shots from that night that the official page posted:

roxy1

roxy3

roxy2
The last show of D'Arcy with SP. For a minute there, I thought that title would be null and void in 2018, but I think that may be the case forever.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:58 AM   #71
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

D'arcy was so cool during the Arising shows. Is there any good video of her from these shows?

(Don't care if she's coked out).

Old 01-15-2019, 08:25 PM   #72
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLATTER View Post
they were a much better stadium band
agreed

Old 01-16-2019, 02:09 PM   #73
Netphorian Gadabout
The Broom of the System

I was at Detroit and DC. The crowd in Detroit was the absolute most nuts I have ever heard a crowd in at any concert and I've been to a few hundred. Absolutely losing their shit. When Geek USA was played, I thought the roof was going to come off the building.

DC was cool but seemed less intense crowd-wise. I remember everyone flipping off QOTSA. The band seemed really sloppy both nights.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #74
FoolofaTook

ok but have you voted in the mellon collie vs twilight 2 starlight poll?

Old 01-16-2019, 03:55 PM   #75
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I remember everyone saying QOTSA was boring at the time. Which is funny, because they made a whole career out of being boring.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:02 AM   #76
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netphorian Gadabout View Post
I was at Detroit and DC. The crowd in Detroit was the absolute most nuts I have ever heard a crowd in at any concert and I've been to a few hundred. Absolutely losing their shit. When Geek USA was played, I thought the roof was going to come off the building.
Love this. Props to a fellow Arising Tour privileged soul.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:52 PM   #77
ckeegan
Demi-God

I was a fan of Siamese Dream in '93 but checked out until Adore...that album resonated with me on an emotional level (after a breakup), but I remember it sounded really futuristic and rock-forward in the post-alternative era. The alt-rock radio station in Rhode Island played album tracks in the week leading up to its release, and hearing "Appels and Oranjes" for the first time made my ears stand on-end.

Flash-forward to 1999: I was in college, and a frequent Netphoria visitor (the same level of troll-ness existed then as it does now). News of the Pumpkins reuniting with Chamberlain was really exciting and I knew I had to witness the band reformed. I connected with a girl on here (with pink hair) who sold me a ticket to the NYC show on 4/14/99, and I took a bus down from Burlington, Vermont, to see them perform at Tramps. The club was so packed that my body felt nearly crushed...I had to watch SP perform from the soundboard area, but hearing the new material was absolutely incredible. Fans had already been treated to video of "I Am One," "Siva," "Pug," and "La Dolly Vita" in Detroit, which was posted on smashingpumpkins.com, so hearing Jimmy on "Pug" wasn't expected, but it fucking rocked. I remember the place went ape-shit to the beat of "I Am One." The show was all about showcasing new songs: the hard-rawk of "Speed Kills," the bizarre part-two refrain of "Glass and the Ghost Children" (fans were kind of frozen as Billy sang, "And she counted the spiders/as they crawled up inside her"), the hot punk of "Glass' Theme," a reworked version of "Cash Car Star," "Stand Inside Your Love" (the drums were slightly different), the apocalyptic vision of "Blue Skies Brings Tears," and stripped-down versions of "With Every Light" and "If There Is A God." I happily slept on the floor of a bus terminal that night.

Some weird tidbits: As I was waiting in line, a guy with a video camera came by and focused on me and the girl with pink hair for an awkwardly long period of time...only later did the gossip drop that Billy liked to hire people to record videos of fans at shows to make fun of them (I think that nugget spilled in the Zwan era); the show-opener was Queens of the Stone Age, and I remember the blazing fuzz of the guitars and the back-beat of the drums, which were set behind a sheet of plexi-glass (Billy later disavowed the band for talking shit about SP); the new album release was eventually delayed for several months, and the raw sound of a rock band reignited was replaced by heavy synth (I remember the album was disappointing when it came out, but I grew to love it...D'Arcy's departure was a huge disappointment as well, but she clearly wasn't healthy during the Arising! tour).

Old 01-18-2019, 05:56 PM   #78
FoolofaTook

did you eat any mcdonalds?

Old 01-18-2019, 06:00 PM   #79
ckeegan
Demi-God

@FoolofaTook Aww man, I think I did!!

Old 01-18-2019, 06:00 PM   #80
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy using creepshot footage of fans for his personal enjoyment? Source?

Old 01-18-2019, 06:09 PM   #81
ckeegan
Demi-God

@johncg I can only say it's common knowledge among hardcore fans...it was posted here years after-the-fact (it's possible it was mentioned by ex-members of Zwan).

Old 01-18-2019, 06:09 PM   #82
FoolofaTook

I'm just foofling around. It's awesome you went to that show. I am so jealous.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:10 PM   #83
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
Some weird tidbits: As I was waiting in line, a guy with a video camera came by and focused on me and the girl with pink hair for an awkwardly long period of time...only later did the gossip drop that Billy liked to hire people to record videos of fans at shows to make fun of them (I think that nugget spilled in the Zwan era)
This is interesting... I remember being interviewed by a film crew outside Birmingham UK in 2000 as I was maybe the 10th person in line that day, but I haven't heard that this was the reason for the filming before. I'm sure I was a complete megadork and exist on camera as ripe cannonfodder for Corgan mockage but am surprised I haven't seen this reasoning before in 20 years (!) of this board. Anyone else heard this rumour?

Old 01-18-2019, 06:10 PM   #84
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

I guess I sound like a casual fan then

Old 01-18-2019, 06:27 PM   #85
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

on one hand, that's horrible, but on the other, i laughed out loud

Old 01-18-2019, 06:27 PM   #86
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

THE BALD LORD HATH FOUND THESE SERVANTS MIGHTILY AMUSING TO THE EYE

Old 01-18-2019, 06:59 PM   #87
slunken
Virgo

Does anyone remember when fans thought Glass + The Ghost Children was two different songs?

Old 01-18-2019, 07:07 PM   #88
ckeegan
Demi-God

@slunken Yes, it was two songs on the Arising! tour and I remember it was a surprise when the album track linked the two...with the shitty spoken-word bridge, ha.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:13 PM   #89
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

to be honest I once thought that Glass was the part before the therapy session and The Ghost Children the part after

Old 01-18-2019, 07:29 PM   #90
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

I used to think Darcy and James played their instruments.