Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2002, 05:57 PM   #1
TimRoss
Pledge

Post Please hold my hand while I purchase microphones

Ok, I read in the "Schoeps rule" post that AT831's are on sale for around $100, and since then I've been hot to buy them.

This is what I'm going to use them for *initially*: video taping teachers in classrooms teaching classes, video taping my brother's band that plays clubs like the Intersection in Grand Rapids where Zwan played, and eventually/ocassionally, live DAT recordings.

What do I need to buy? What kinds of AT831? How many? What accessories? Where do I buy? What is a battery box for? Do I need one?

Thanks daddy...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-20-2002, 07:42 PM   #2
Suicide Machine
Demi-God

www.soundprofessionals.com

They only come in a stereo pair, AFAIK.
Battery box=power, also bass roll-off, which will cut down on the excessive bass. Your best bet is to get the one with multiple settings. Your recording will most likely sound like ass or be unlistenable without it. As far as accessories, you can get different caps for the mics, meaning you can get Omnis initially, and change to cardioid, hyper-cardioid, or super-cardioid without having 4 different sets of microphones. I think you can get them mounted on glasses for a charge, but then you can't change the caps. They also have an option of having removable clips, which would probably be best for your applications. Alot of stuff on their site and www.sonicstudios.com will help you in deciding on which DAT deck or MD to look into as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-20-2002, 08:38 PM   #3
TimRoss
Pledge

Quote:
Originally posted by Suicide Machine:
[b]www.soundprofessionals.com

They only come in a stereo pair, AFAIK.
Battery box=power, also bass roll-off, which will cut down on the excessive bass. Your best bet is to get the one with multiple settings. B]
Ok, I went to soundprofessionals.com and found that I have more questions.

First of all, there are a half dozen different AT831's available, ranging in price from $59-$189. I can't find anything written there that states the mics pick-up in stereo, or that they are sold in stereo pairs. So I'm confused here: does one lavalier mic pick up in stereo with a 1/8 mini jack, or do I need two lavalier's? One of the AT831's has a "dual mono" feature. I don't want that, do I?

And battery packs...this is the same as battery module, right? I read through the modules, and these have the option of adding bass roll-off and level control. I want both of those, right? What is the recommended battery module for the AT831?

The battery module will be useful when I'm recording on my Sony TRV Digital 8 camcorder, as that doesn't have a way to adjust audio levels, right?

I think where I'm confused is with the stereo/mono issue. I made my first recording last month (Wilco, 7/20/02) with a borrowed DA-P1 from my school. I only taped with one mic and I have a recording with only sound in the left channel (yes, I know, it's embarassing.) If I were to tape now with only one AT831, will I have only one channel recording? Or is this a stereo mic and my camcorder will record on both channels? Do I need two mics? Is there an input on the battery box for two mics, or do I need an adaptor?

Thanks in advance if you can help me with this.

[This message has been edited by TimRoss (edited 08-20-2002).]

Old 08-22-2002, 12:32 PM   #4
mrk
Oblivious Virgin

Looks like sound pro is now selling AT831's separately as well. If you want a stereo pair you can find it under "mini stereo cardioids" as "DELUXE AUDIO TECHNICA CARDIOID STEREO MICROPHONES". $109 for a pair.

I've had them for 2 years and have been quite happy with them. Made some great recordings.