Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2016, 09:39 PM   #151
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

congrats. i am used to being a perfect student myself and am worried about bursting my bubble next semester but i'd rather take hard courses and get a B or 2 than play it safe. at this point I could take almost any upper divisions i want, even a few lower divisions. i only have 1 more required class. but im getting this certificate thing and that's 12 more credits, plus my thesis is 3. so then i'd have 9 credits to do whatever i want but i'm taking an honors critical questions class and personality testing and measurement. so i'll end up with one class to take whatever i want in my last semester and i'm going to try to do african american history.

so my final classes will be

winter/spring:
neuropsychology
psychology and the law
honors critical questions crime and violent
personality testing and measurement

summer:
research methods
hopefully some kind of internship/part time job in the field

fall:
interpersonal communication skills (education class required for my certificate in applied mental health services)
lifespan development (ditto)
honors thesis
african american history

and then i'll have 121 credits and be done. i think the only big danger to my GPA is neuropsychology. but god forbid I got a B, I'd still end up with something like a 3.991 lol. I think I could live with that. if I get 2 Bs or 1 C I'd have a 3.983. i think that's realistically the lowest i will end up with, assuming i don't have some kind of episode and destroy my life

Last edited by reprise85 : 12-21-2016 at 09:52 PM.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:47 PM   #152
Elphenor
Braindead

Someone be proud of me I don't have to take math refresher courses I taught myself algebra in 3 days

Old 01-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #153
Elphenor
Braindead

Tfw you realize you aren't "bad at math" you were just being lazy

Old 01-07-2017, 03:27 PM   #154
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

congrats dude

i had to take two of those. one was no credit and one was elective credit. felt pretty dumb tbh

Old 01-07-2017, 03:34 PM   #155
Elphenor
Braindead

There was a person called in to get their results while I was waiting outside and I felt bad this girl "failed" all three tests

And she was like "but I can retake" and the lady just kept repeating "yes but listen for a minute this is what you needed to pass this is what you got"

Idk I might have decided college wasn't for me

Old 01-07-2017, 03:55 PM   #156
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

If you don't know the stuff then College Algebra will kill you. Specifically graphing equations and factoring are really important. Most of the course is graphing, more advance factoring (like completing the square, using that one equation I forgot what it's called, absolute numbers, imaginary numbers, and funky things like exponents that are not whole numbers but things like 22x+4y+3), logarithms and functions. You can not know the last two and learn them, but if you don't know how to graph a line and inequality you will really struggle with graphing functions.

I know some people who tried to just go into the one remedial class without the non credit one (which my school will let you do even if you test lower than that class) who were completely lost and ended up dropping and taking the more remedial course.

Last edited by reprise85 : 01-07-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:35 PM   #157
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

i'd rather listen to townie rock than college rock that's for sure

Old 01-09-2017, 03:27 AM   #158
Disco King
Minion of Satan

My next semester starts tomorrow. I have zero excitement for it and am not prepared. Seeing as I'm supposed to do my thesis, this will be a bigger disaster than my last semester.

The only thing keeping me from deciding just to put school on hold and take time off to decompress is the fact that I'm already taking six years to do my undergrad, and I don't want to be an undergrad for something closing in on a decade. That would just be embarrassing.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:29 AM   #159
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Had somebody who would hook me up with addy to get me through, but now I'm not sure because apparently it doesn't mix well with sertraline.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:37 AM   #160
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

((_)======D

Old 01-09-2017, 03:38 AM   #161
Ram27
dumb

Adderall is really helpful, in a short term sense (assignments/etc). Earlier this semester I was so depressed I didn't even give a shit enough to take it, though.

Personally I think the time you spend getting a degree is arbitrary, it'd be worth taking longer if you're in a better place mentally. Better than trying to rush through and fuck up things

My semester starts tomorrow as well. I'm pretty excited. Got all As last semester which I haven't done since middle school. And as a bonus I wasn't killing myself with anxiety that semester like I was in 8th grade. Did develop a drinking habit which is better than the alternative

Only thing is my sleep schedule is DESTROYED. It's 2:30 am now, I have class at 10:30 am. Lately I've been falling asleep around 7 am. Might just stay up all night or something

Old 01-11-2017, 02:17 AM   #162
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
My next semester starts tomorrow. I have zero excitement for it and am not prepared. Seeing as I'm supposed to do my thesis, this will be a bigger disaster than my last semester.

The only thing keeping me from deciding just to put school on hold and take time off to decompress is the fact that I'm already taking six years to do my undergrad, and I don't want to be an undergrad for something closing in on a decade. That would just be embarrassing.
I didn't even start undergrad until I was like 28, don't worry man. You seem pretty sure that you're about to have a disastrous semester... and, if that's true, wouldn't it be better to take a semester off OR somehow lighten your load this time and try to get yourself back on track?

How are you feeling btw?

Old 01-11-2017, 02:35 AM   #163
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

My first day went well. First impressions:

Neuropsychology: Professor was all over the place. So it's kinda hard to get a feel for the material at all. If I didn't know this guy already and that he will not always be so all over the place I'd be very worried right now. But since I do I'm just going to stay with knowing it'll be a hard class that will take a lot of studying. Prob going to actually read the book, too. Which I normally don't do because I get a lot more out of lectures. They are also teleconferencing to another campus and because of this he cannot write on the board (because they can't see it) which is usually the main thing he does. So that's going to be really challenging. Hopefully he makes more detailed powerpoints or actually lets us have them or something. Because it's going to be hard as fuck to write notes without any written visual. He spits out info rapid fire.

Psych and the Law: Will be easy. Have heard a lot of this stuff already, having taken the same prof for Clinical, Abnormal, and Police Psychology. However, it's only a midterm and final so I have to score well on both. Same prof as neuro.

Honors Crit Questions: This will be very time consuming, but I think is something perfect to have on a resume for grad school when trying to get into a forensic program. It will be a good 3-5 hours of reading per week. I'm doing two presentations and we drew numbers to pick what we wanted. I got two very early in the semester, 1/26 is on Forensics and Informants (the material I'm drawing from will be the book Convicting the Innocent. Was not one I really wanted but this was a high number pick. My early number pick is a chapter in The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined which is titled "Anarchy to Agriculture" which is, I assume, about the effect of agriculture (which began circa 10k years ago) on violence rates. This is also when human settlements started becoming larger. This presentation is two weeks after the first one. So, after 02/09, all I'll have for the rest of the semester is reading the rest of the books (and we need to participate in discussion and come up with a discussion question for each class based on that day's reading) and a research paper. We are reading these books really fast, so it's kinda hard coming up with a presentation unless I read way in advance, which I guess is what I'll be doing. Three people from my honors seminar class (two of whom I like, lol) are in this class so that's nice. Professor seems cool.

Personality Test and Measurement: This will be an easy class. The professor is oddly brilliant, he's very tangential and sort of takes up strange lines of questioning, but there is something profound about some of the things he says. He seems to very much be on the side of lessening human suffering and learning from your experiences which is nice. He is definitely straight up afraid of what will go on in this country with Trump although he didn't out and out say it that way. I am looking forward to hearing him speak more.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:46 AM   #164
Elphenor
Braindead

My school didn't get my high school transcripts yet now I'm gonna have to wait I'm really bummed actually

Old 01-11-2017, 02:49 AM   #165
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

that's really shitty, sorry to hear. i'm surprised they won't let you start provisionally.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:09 PM   #166
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

i made dean's list.

thx dean.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:11 PM   #167
yo soy el mejor

Old 01-16-2017, 09:12 PM   #168
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Is he doing another season of Ripley's Believe It or Not!?

Old 01-17-2017, 06:35 PM   #169
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Is he doing another season of Ripley's Believe It or Not!?
i thought that was jonathan frakes

Old 01-17-2017, 06:46 PM   #170
yo soy el mejor

today i attended a student government association meeting and will be vying for the spot of senator. it's mainly to look good on my resume as i make my way towards going to the university of chicago and inevitably get that JD. gotta make a pit-stop at UIC, though.

i also met the president of the ptk honor society and was invited to join. first meeting is on thursday.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #171
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
((_)======D
feels good, but financial aid malarkey has me heated right now.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:56 PM   #172
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i just found out i'll get 1k back on my taxes as some sort of education credit. so that's pretty coll.

my uni doesn't have ptk chapter which is lame, i'd def have joined

that will be a weakness on my resume, a lack of extra-circulars but I'm hoping a 4.0 or close GPA, an honors thesis/honors degree plus hopefully 80%+ percentile GRE scores will be enough to get into a forensic program with a good stipend. If not, I'll go to a regular clinical program that will give me a good stipend. Good being relative. I just want tuition paid for + like 20k and I'll be happy. I'll have to teach or whatever, that's fine. A place I'm looking at in NYC gives you a 26k stipend but it's so expensive to live there. But they only accept like 5 people per fucking year anyway

Last edited by reprise85 : 01-18-2017 at 12:02 AM.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:00 AM   #173
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Phi theta kappa ask me to join and I politely declined

Old 01-18-2017, 01:09 AM   #174
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Reprise if you move to nyc go live on roosevelt island so you can take the tram back to the mainline (and the train at night, boo)

Old 01-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #175
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

took a practice GRE today. Got 158 verbal/156 quantitative which is about 80th and 63rd percentile, respectively. considering I didn't study at all I'm pretty happy with those scores. shouldn't be a problem getting into the low 160s which is probably good enough for any grad school (in behavioral sciences), in fact my scores now are probably above most admissions requirements (they are above average for those who made it into sam houston's forensic program last year, for example). the quantitative i didn't even finish one section because i ran out of time, plus i didn't remember most of the geometry. i mean it was 40 questions total (for quant) and i didn't even answer 5 or 6 of em. brushing up on math should help, i feel like i got the right answers a lot of the time but i used strategies that took too long.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:07 AM   #176
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Adderall is really helpful, in a short term sense (assignments/etc). Earlier this semester I was so depressed I didn't even give a shit enough to take it, though.
I've taken Adderall a few times in the last couple weeks, and it seems to do nothing for me. I barely feel different at all, and my focus isn't much higher.

It seems to make me more talkative, though. Just today, I started a convo with some randoms in line in front of me waiting for a town hall with the Prime Minister, and the way I was talking with them was similar to the way I'd talk to a friend, as if I knew them. Like, I sat with them and even caught the train home with them. I dunno if they actually found me cool, or if I was "that weird guy who's following us around." I dunno, I feel like one of them actually enjoyed my company, another found me odd, and the third was just kinda neutral. I was contemplating exchanging contact info with them to keep in touch because they seemed pretty chill, but the one that seemed more comfortable with me got off the train before I could ask, and I didn't see any point in asking the one that seemed less comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
I didn't even start undergrad until I was like 28, don't worry man. You seem pretty sure that you're about to have a disastrous semester... and, if that's true, wouldn't it be better to take a semester off OR somehow lighten your load this time and try to get yourself back on track?

How are you feeling btw?
I decided to put off doing my thesis until next year, since I would had been taking an extra year anyway. I initially enrolled in six classes (including my thesis, which didn't actually have a lecture or seminar or whatever) with the intention of dropping two. Unfortunately, all five classes were interesting, so it was a tough choice. I ended up just picking the one that's kinda late in the day because I don't like having classes that end after 4:00pm. Course work is heavy because I'm still completing last semester's work that I got extensions on (and my focus is the worst it's ever been and I don't seem to be making much progress), so I'm already slipping on my readings for this semester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
took a practice GRE today. Got 158 verbal/156 quantitative which is about 80th and 63rd percentile, respectively. considering I didn't study at all I'm pretty happy with those scores. shouldn't be a problem getting into the low 160s which is probably good enough for any grad school (in behavioral sciences), in fact my scores now are probably above most admissions requirements (they are above average for those who made it into sam houston's forensic program last year, for example). the quantitative i didn't even finish one section because i ran out of time, plus i didn't remember most of the geometry. i mean it was 40 questions total (for quant) and i didn't even answer 5 or 6 of em. brushing up on math should help, i feel like i got the right answers a lot of the time but i used strategies that took too long.
Congrats on the marks!

I need to brush up on maths, too. I don't really need much for my degree (well, I will need some stats maths if I decide to do more quantitative research with, like, regressions and all that, which I intend to), but I kinda regret not applying myself in high school math, because now I have an armchair interest in physics and feel like I could appreciate it on a less superficial level if I actually knew something about the arithmetic.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:19 PM   #177
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i've been transcribing a lecture for a group thing, and this class (neuropsych) is being streamed to another campus in Jupiter, FL. If you didn't know that, he the professor sounds nuts. "Jupiter, can you hear me? Feel free to ask questions, Jupiter"

Old 02-10-2017, 04:48 PM   #178
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

transcribing yesterday's lecture. on minute 36 out of 80. dude can talk. i can never be a professor, can't talk this much

look how exciting this all is:
[00:06:56] But, for now, injury that primarily affects the frontal lobes often will produce a variety of abnormal reflexes. And again, I think I mentioned that the abnormal reflexes are essentially regressions to or return to reflexes that were present when you were an infant that may have been adaptive back then. As the brain has myelinated and synaptically reorganized itself, these reflexes are overshadowed by the new synaptic organizations and the myelination of those connections and they begin to appear again in many frontal lobe syndromes. We talked about the grasp reflex, the snout reflex, sucking, rooting - these are basically important for infants to both hold on to their parent and to get nourishment from their parent. Palmomental reflexes, again, this word mental in anatomy have to do with the muscles on the side of the jaw, don't ask me how - why that is the case. But if you've ever taken a general physiology class, you know that. Uh, essentially what that is is the stimulation of the palm and usually, when they stimulate the palm what you're stimulating it with is kind of a rough but blunt object, you don't want to use something that's going to cut the person, um, but if you ever go to a neurologist they'll use a stylus that, that and - you know, you can feel is sort of like rubbing a key against it, but it's not going to, hopefully not hurt you. Um, there's actually a little device, [laughs] that they rarely use now, it's a spiked wheel. It's literally a little spiked wheel. And they use this to detect two-point discrimination, so they'll rub this along parts of your body and say "what do you feel?" and if you say "I feel a bunch of little points poking at me" that's normal. But, it looks like some medieval torture instrument so they, they probably don't use it anymore.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #179
yo soy el mejor

How long is the lecture? You're in for a lot of typing. I h8 transcribing! I found a cool site once that let me speak into the mic and it did a fantastic job recognizing exactly what I was saying. I couldn't figure out how to have it transcribe the original audio- that would have been too easy!

I used to transcribe IEP meetings from home and got $1.50 for every meeting minute transcribed. Definitely worth the time with that whole mic discovery.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #180
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

it's 80 minutes long. i took a break to play fallout. hoping i get to 55 minutes tonight

i found an mp3 transcription tool but it is pretty shitty. the audio is not the best, he walks around the room a bit and i'm not using a real recorder, just my phone. plus there's a lot of words that he speaks frequently that it wouldn't recognize (like... orbitofrontal, bradykinesia, myelination)... most spell checks don't have them either

i seem to be able to do about 15 minutes per hour