I think fuzzy could eat a kilogram of beef

Old 05-14-2017, 02:06 AM   #92
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

rbg looks a bit like dustin hoffman in that colt pic it's weird

Old 05-14-2017, 02:07 AM   #93
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

those aren't exactly new but you're impressing fuzzy and poots with those pictures, for sure.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:50 AM   #94
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
Yes, I fly home tomorrow, will either do it on the plane or when I'm back
awesome I am so curious what experiences people have there. I want to go back there so badly. safe travel.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:29 AM   #95
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
WIN! drool. ah can you describe what it tasted like? The whole experience?
sure -- and you've spent a good amount of time in japan right? so you probably know all of the things i'll refer to..

this will be mostly stream of consciousness, here we go. it was a spot pretty close to Ebisu station. took JR from the chiyoda part of tokyo where our hotel was and once at Ebisu, crossed the main street and within a few blocks it was very tight, small side streets.

half a block away you could smell meat, it was a warm evening without very much breeze.

we pushed aside the curtains in the entrance and a girl greeted us. i told her my name for the reservation, which ended up not being necessary because at the time we were the only ones there. it was a tuesday, 7pm, i'd like to think that place would be slammed later in the week and on the weekend

she had limited english but made it clear we should take our shoes off and we put them in a cabinet that was in the small room we had to ourselves, you know the type where the table is roughly at floor level, and there's a lower, submerged area you sit in. the girl had retrieved an english copy of their menu and pointed out the button we could press to summon her when we needed something.

spend a good amount of time deciding with my wife what we would order. i was largely guessing, but it was pretty clear what the main, key, popular cuts were. i've had digestive issues in the past few years and have consequently avoided eating beef for the most part and had to do a little convincing to get my wife on board with ordering what i felt was the right amount. (we flew halfway around the world to be here and this is one of my anticipated highlights, this is the only night i'm going to be eating beef so no need to be concerned, etc. etc.) landed on sirloin (the thicker pieces in the picture), i believe karubi was the thinner slice next to it, and then my wife wanted to mix it up a bit and order some tongue as well.

so we hit the button, in came the girl, and we also ordered some seaweed soup and some beers. we thought the girl indicated that the soup size was small, so we each got one, but they were much larger than expected and in hindsight i wouldn't order one. we also ordered two small bowls of rice.

so then they bring out the small grill for the table, which had hot coals (from wood) in the bottom, and there's a metal ventilation tube they lower so it sits right above the grill. honestly pretty darn quiet and prevented the room from ever getting smoky. there's also a set of small tongs to use for cooking, only 1 of those

the tongue meat actually came out first, and it there was a little bit of confusion on our part. she had a plate with several thin slices of meat, salt and pepper and maybe a touch of oil on top, and then a small round side dish with something that appeared to be mostly fat, but was shaped kind of like a tongue. so we sort of assumed the weird white fat thing was the tongue, and the thin round slices were the karubi.

i put some of the slices on the grill and they cooked super quickly, put it on the rice quickly so the juices would go in there, and ate one. honestly it was nice but i was not blown away by any means and therefore quickly realized this was the tongue meat, the fatty thing was probably related to the tongue, but certainly not the karubi.

shortly thereafter the sirloin and the karubi came out together, i was kind of floored at how awesome it looked. just ridiculous marbling, you can see it in the picture, it's perfect. the sirloin and the karubi had some salt and pepper seasoning the top of them, on also on the tray were some raw shishito peppers and some mini corn as well.

put the shishito peppers on, they blistered pretty quickly, mine ended up being a touch spicy, my wife's wasn't. ate some more of the tongue. and then put on two pieces of karubi. cooked fast, but slower than the tongue because it was thicker. set it quickly on the rice so some of the fat could run into it.

i can't do any justice to how it tasted man. it was something i had been anticipating and looking forward to for years. [for me a similar but less intense experience was, having taken spanish classes from 9th grade through a minor in college, always reading about the thick cups of 'hot chocolate' you can get in spain, and then finally at age 25 sitting by myself at a cafe in barcelona and taking my first sip of the thick, rich, chocolate]

this was a "close your eyes" kind of moment, just trying to keep all your senses tuned in so you can experience it fully. incredibly well marbled, so tender and juicy, just the most incredible and exciting flavor. i can't really do it justice, but it was special.

and then the sirloin was more of a rectangular cube shape, and required more attentive cooking as you had to rotate it so it would cook evenly, and there was a little experimentation required to make sure to get it right. i was inclined to undercook it of course, and so my wife put her first piece back on the grill for another moment. this one as well man, impossible for me to convey how awesome it w as. it had been on the grill longer, so the outside had a very slight hint of crust formed on it. a thicker piece, but the act of chewing is less about cutting through meat, as it's so damn soft and tender, it's more about fully experiencing the flavor.

decided to knock out the rest of the tongue meat because it did not deserve to sit in the presence of the other two. enjoyed some beer, enjoyed some of the soup which in another context would have been real nice but was more of a distraction in this setting, and then set back into the main event.

my wife asked which i would want more of if i were re-ordering, sirloin or karubi.. i said i needed to cook some more slices to decide. did just that, enjoyed the heck out of it. initially i was leaning toward reordering the sirloin, because it's just so boss, but i came to the conclusion that i would actually do karubi. it was faster and simpler to cook, and was so incredibly delicious that you could focus more on it than on judging whether you had cooked it properly.

i was just so pumped up by the whole experience. if i could re-do it, i would go with one sirloin, 2 karubi, 2 rices, no soup, and no tongue. i don't remember the cost of the meal but i remember walking away feeling like i would have happily paid more.

here's another picture. the slices of tongue are visible in the middle of the table, the sirloin and karubi are behind my beer glass (but visible in that earlier photo)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...083050_o_1.jpg

oh, the place is called oumitei-okuza http://e.oumitei.com/

hope that was helpful, it was run to relive!

Old 05-20-2017, 05:39 AM   #96
FoolofaTook

That's awesome.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:40 AM   #97
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
The best 1-2 punch of all time in the history of recorded music is clearly: crackity jones/Mr Grieves
Sometimes/Blown A Wish

Old 05-20-2017, 05:42 AM   #98
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
That's awesome.
thanks

Old 05-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #99
yo soy el mejor

i hope i can remember the name of that place when i go to japan

i love your hair, jesse. lookin' good!

Old 05-20-2017, 12:36 PM   #100
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
sure -- and you've spent a good amount of time in japan right? so you probably know all of the things i'll refer to..

this will be mostly stream of consciousness, here we go. it was a spot pretty close to Ebisu station. took JR from the chiyoda part of tokyo where our hotel was and once at Ebisu, crossed the main street and within a few blocks it was very tight, small side streets.

half a block away you could smell meat, it was a warm evening without very much breeze.

we pushed aside the curtains in the entrance and a girl greeted us. i told her my name for the reservation, which ended up not being necessary because at the time we were the only ones there. it was a tuesday, 7pm, i'd like to think that place would be slammed later in the week and on the weekend

she had limited english but made it clear we should take our shoes off and we put them in a cabinet that was in the small room we had to ourselves, you know the type where the table is roughly at floor level, and there's a lower, submerged area you sit in. the girl had retrieved an english copy of their menu and pointed out the button we could press to summon her when we needed something.

spend a good amount of time deciding with my wife what we would order. i was largely guessing, but it was pretty clear what the main, key, popular cuts were. i've had digestive issues in the past few years and have consequently avoided eating beef for the most part and had to do a little convincing to get my wife on board with ordering what i felt was the right amount. (we flew halfway around the world to be here and this is one of my anticipated highlights, this is the only night i'm going to be eating beef so no need to be concerned, etc. etc.) landed on sirloin (the thicker pieces in the picture), i believe karubi was the thinner slice next to it, and then my wife wanted to mix it up a bit and order some tongue as well.

so we hit the button, in came the girl, and we also ordered some seaweed soup and some beers. we thought the girl indicated that the soup size was small, so we each got one, but they were much larger than expected and in hindsight i wouldn't order one. we also ordered two small bowls of rice.

so then they bring out the small grill for the table, which had hot coals (from wood) in the bottom, and there's a metal ventilation tube they lower so it sits right above the grill. honestly pretty darn quiet and prevented the room from ever getting smoky. there's also a set of small tongs to use for cooking, only 1 of those

the tongue meat actually came out first, and it there was a little bit of confusion on our part. she had a plate with several thin slices of meat, salt and pepper and maybe a touch of oil on top, and then a small round side dish with something that appeared to be mostly fat, but was shaped kind of like a tongue. so we sort of assumed the weird white fat thing was the tongue, and the thin round slices were the karubi.

i put some of the slices on the grill and they cooked super quickly, put it on the rice quickly so the juices would go in there, and ate one. honestly it was nice but i was not blown away by any means and therefore quickly realized this was the tongue meat, the fatty thing was probably related to the tongue, but certainly not the karubi.

shortly thereafter the sirloin and the karubi came out together, i was kind of floored at how awesome it looked. just ridiculous marbling, you can see it in the picture, it's perfect. the sirloin and the karubi had some salt and pepper seasoning the top of them, on also on the tray were some raw shishito peppers and some mini corn as well.

put the shishito peppers on, they blistered pretty quickly, mine ended up being a touch spicy, my wife's wasn't. ate some more of the tongue. and then put on two pieces of karubi. cooked fast, but slower than the tongue because it was thicker. set it quickly on the rice so some of the fat could run into it.

i can't do any justice to how it tasted man. it was something i had been anticipating and looking forward to for years. [for me a similar but less intense experience was, having taken spanish classes from 9th grade through a minor in college, always reading about the thick cups of 'hot chocolate' you can get in spain, and then finally at age 25 sitting by myself at a cafe in barcelona and taking my first sip of the thick, rich, chocolate]

this was a "close your eyes" kind of moment, just trying to keep all your senses tuned in so you can experience it fully. incredibly well marbled, so tender and juicy, just the most incredible and exciting flavor. i can't really do it justice, but it was special.

and then the sirloin was more of a rectangular cube shape, and required more attentive cooking as you had to rotate it so it would cook evenly, and there was a little experimentation required to make sure to get it right. i was inclined to undercook it of course, and so my wife put her first piece back on the grill for another moment. this one as well man, impossible for me to convey how awesome it w as. it had been on the grill longer, so the outside had a very slight hint of crust formed on it. a thicker piece, but the act of chewing is less about cutting through meat, as it's so damn soft and tender, it's more about fully experiencing the flavor.

decided to knock out the rest of the tongue meat because it did not deserve to sit in the presence of the other two. enjoyed some beer, enjoyed some of the soup which in another context would have been real nice but was more of a distraction in this setting, and then set back into the main event.

my wife asked which i would want more of if i were re-ordering, sirloin or karubi.. i said i needed to cook some more slices to decide. did just that, enjoyed the heck out of it. initially i was leaning toward reordering the sirloin, because it's just so boss, but i came to the conclusion that i would actually do karubi. it was faster and simpler to cook, and was so incredibly delicious that you could focus more on it than on judging whether you had cooked it properly.

i was just so pumped up by the whole experience. if i could re-do it, i would go with one sirloin, 2 karubi, 2 rices, no soup, and no tongue. i don't remember the cost of the meal but i remember walking away feeling like i would have happily paid more.

here's another picture. the slices of tongue are visible in the middle of the table, the sirloin and karubi are behind my beer glass (but visible in that earlier photo)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...083050_o_1.jpg

oh, the place is called oumitei-okuza http://e.oumitei.com/

hope that was helpful, it was run to relive!
I love love love reading this! Yeah I spent a run living in a Tokyo suburb it is such a magical place!