Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2011, 02:14 AM   #1
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Default Neutral Milk Hotel

http://pitchfork.com/news/43655-neut...lease-box-set/

new big vinyl-only box set, fancy new website, streaming unreleased tracks and Jeff Mangum curated radio show

Last edited by TuralyonW3 : 08-27-2011 at 02:28 AM.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:21 AM   #2
Shallowed
Braindead

Good lord.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
D.
Consume my pants.

I love that Jeff Mangum didn't announce an announcement before a BIG announcement about this.

Fuck yes - more excited about this than anything BC "plans" to put out in the next five years.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

I've already bought In The Aeroplane Over the Sea 3 times, god dammit.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
D.
Consume my pants.

I've never bought In the Aeroplane!

Old 08-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
Shallowed
Braindead

I'm sure if someone like Mangum made an announcement of an announcement, that in itself would be big news. I know some people that would be excited about an announcement of an upcoming NMH announcement.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
D.
Consume my pants.

JM > BC

Old 08-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

I can't tell you how much cum had exploded in my pants the other day when this happened. I've just been listening to those two mp3s all day, my last.fm stats are fucked up now. If I wasn't already dropping $$$ to master my band's album, I would buy this asap.

Kind of disappointed its an acoustic version of Ferris Wheel On Fire and not the full-band version, but beggars can't be choosers. Also, "studio" version of Little Birds? Holy mother of god.

Not sure what I'm more excited about: this or the SMiLE boxset (which pics of just leaked, and it's comparable to this).

Old 08-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

My wife and I saw Jeff Mangum in Toronto twice earlier this month, and I just cannot get over how awesome those performances were. Just a dude, a stool, a guitar, and some AMAZING songs with the talent to fill the entire church.

We travel a fair share to see "my" bands - she's always said that if NMH or Jeff play shows, we're going. So when they were announced, we went. It was literally one of those "I SEE THE LIGHT" kind of concerts. I mean, I like both the albums, but after that show it's the kind of thing that makes me want to get everything he's ever released.

And the funny thing? I've now gone back and listened to Avery/Aeroplane/Jittery Joe's - and none of those versions sound as good as he did live earlier this month. If anything, he has gotten BETTER. Lots better.

I found a recording from the 2nd of the two nights (which entered my top 5 concerts of all time) -- if any of you are interested, I'd be happy to YSI it throw up a link. Just say the word.

Anyways, cut to the subject at hand -- by the merch booth, they had these little rectangular posters that said "NMH Records" and had that URL below it. At the time a month ago, the site just said "coming soon" - when I saw this on Saturday morning, I pre-ordered the box without even flinching.

Hell, I was gearing up to pay $100+ just for the Holland, 1945/Engine 7" at the next possible opportunity - might as well just do the box and get it all.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Also, this happened while we were in line - my wife eagle-eyed him from a block away, and stealthily went down there for a one on one greeting. SUPER cordial, kind and friendly. He happily agreed to sign her Aeroplane booklet, then seeing this one, he said "You want me to sign that one, too?" So awesome.

http://i51.tinypic.com/r2jotk.jpg

Old 08-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
???
Minion of Satan

his signature looks like one of those vital sign readings going flat on a life support machine. kindof like nmh's career. haha.

cool to meet him though.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:56 PM   #12
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Also, this happened while we were in line - my wife eagle-eyed him from a block away, and stealthily went down there for a one on one greeting. SUPER cordial, kind and friendly. He happily agreed to sign her Aeroplane booklet, then seeing this one, he said "You want me to sign that one, too?" So awesome.

http://i51.tinypic.com/r2jotk.jpg
that's a really cool story. (no sarcasm)

and if you can ysi that show, that'd be tops.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #13
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
that's a really cool story. (no sarcasm)
More details that I probably should of included the first time...

Jeff was totally like you would expect. Confident, yet as timid as a mouse. Handshake was just as you would expect. Gentle, sincere and awkward. He spoke like you’d imagine. Softly, yet not stuttering. Smiling kindly the whole time, even though he was a little out of his comfort zone - but never made me feel bad for it.

Initially, my wife asked for a photo - he declined that and said "I don't do photos... but I'll make you a drawing!" In the heat of the moment, she was stammering and instead just asked for an autograph. In retrospect, she didn't have any paper or any surface to draw on, so I think she made the right call. Plus, with the whole drawings being available on the website... I dunno.

Here's a link to the Toronto show recording - it's actually a pretty solid recording overall.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/M...d0llcEpFQlE9PQ

Last edited by Raskolnikov : 08-30-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #14
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post

Here's a link to the Toronto show recording - it's actually a pretty solid recording overall.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/M...d0llcEpFQlE9PQ
this sounds fantastic thanks. nice to hear the guy sounds the same as he did over a decade ago too

Old 08-30-2011, 09:59 PM   #15
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

WHERE'S THE REST OF THE ORIGINAL BAND?! THIS SHIT MAKES ME SICK WHAT AN EGOMANIAC.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:47 AM   #16
Shallowed
Braindead

Friendliest egomaniac ever.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #17
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
WHERE'S THE REST OF THE ORIGINAL BAND?! THIS SHIT MAKES ME SICK WHAT AN EGOMANIAC.
Scott and Laura played on a handful of the songs. Also, since The Music Tapes and Hawk and a Handsaw are opening on different legs, they'll probably add extra things here and there too.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #18
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Gotta bump this one up, since new west coast tour dates have been announced. Super low publicity levels (at least here in SLC) - and didn't want anybody to miss the boat.

http://www.walkingwallofwords.com/tour.html

Old 01-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #19
TuralyonW3
Immortal

the concert was fucking magickal

Old 01-31-2013, 01:48 AM   #20
D.
Consume my pants.

saw him in march of 2012 in Wisconsin and just saw him two weeks ago in Lawrence, KS

In Lawrence there was literally no security and people were able to touch the stage; a few people got off some pics and I saw at least a few people taking video. My friend and I were pretty close and, for that (and the feet-stomping, very rousing "Ghost" to close the set), it was my favorite between the two shows. In WI we were up REALLY high and I felt uneasy the whole time.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:50 AM   #21
Mo
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
http://pitchfork.com/news/43655-neut...lease-box-set/

new big vinyl-only box set, fancy new website, streaming unreleased tracks and Jeff Mangum curated radio show
Why do they still hold ATP (and [bloc]) events in fucking Minehead? Worst shithole I've ever been to.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:00 AM   #22
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

when did you go, mo? The ATP trip that never wants still haunts me.

...or it will, until I see GYBE at an ATP event in like three weeks

Old 01-31-2013, 03:15 AM   #23
Mo
Immortal

http://darkfloor.co.uk/wp-content/up.../Blocflyer.jpg

I went with a bunch of weird electrohippie Germans and a Japanese friend. It was my first strictly-no-smoking indoor venue, and it reeked of sweat, fog machines and stale beer. Blergh.

Last edited by Mo : 01-31-2013 at 05:32 AM.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:18 AM   #24
Mo
Immortal

Enjoy GY!BE, their current tour is amazing.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:23 AM   #25
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

that lineup looks pretty amazing. Nathan Fake has been in high rotation for me lately,

You may have just dictated a hard decision i've got on the horizon - seeing GYBE! at ATP but i've got tickets for their sideshow and Converge (who are my favourite band, but i've seen before) are playing the same night. Think i'm going to have to double up on my GYBE and roll the dice on there being another Converge album/tour in the future.