Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 01:41 AM   #61
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
i never knew that existed until i saw this video of it a few weeks ago. it made me sad those sort of games never really caught on

this is seriously one of the dumbest things i've ever watched

Old 01-19-2013, 03:54 AM   #62
Order 66
Socialphobic

i can see why somebody might think that . but at face value you have both steve carrell and chris rock improvising in that format.. i think its good for what it is. thats my 2 cents

Old 01-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #63
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscured01 View Post
I'm a big fan of the bioshock franchise (I liked the first better than 2 though) ... and I'm not sure how I'm going to like the new one coming out, but I have a feeling it'll be pretty good.
bioshock 2 was cranked out by 2k with a different dev team to capitalize on the popularity of the first one. bioshock infinite is going to be done by the same team as 1 (as well as the genius behind System Shock, which are technically the first games in the "shock" series) and should be uncompromisingly brutal about american exceptionalism, religious intolerance and general racism. I certainly can't wait, considering how they savaged Rand.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #64
Trotskilicious
Banned

i really much prefer fallout new vegas to fallout 3, since i was a fan of the first two games when i was in high school and could really feel that original dev team's influence on new vegas. I liked that even the shop owners were characters onto themselves.

also major rawls as cesar? i mean how great is that. FUCK YOU MCNULTY, THIS IS MY WASTELAND.

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 01-19-2013 at 09:34 AM.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #65
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
MY COMPUTERS BROKE
i was really hoping you got completely sucked in by skyrim

Old 01-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #66
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
i really much prefer fallout new vegas to fallout 3, since i was a fan of the first two games when i was in high school and could really feel that original dev team's influence on new vegas. I liked that even the shop owners were characters onto themselves.

also major rawls as cesar? i mean how great is that. FUCK YOU MCNULTY, THIS IS MY WASTELAND.
There are plenty of things NV did better than FO3 - weapon mods, followers, variety of endings, and yeah, the characters were pretty memorable.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #67
Trotskilicious
Banned

that whole conversation with caesar is just fantastic, it's one of those moments where vidya games aren't just stupid entertainment and can be pretty thought provoking. The whole story line where each side is kind of a different color of shit is also really wonderful in that regard.

the voice cast is better, they didn't blow the entire wad on liam neeson and malcom mcdowell, they hired quality tv actors (john doman, rene auberjonis) and people who need money like matthew perry. besides who doesn't love Danny Trejo?

and yeah the followers are a lot of fun, they're all pretty good in their own way. veronica tears through motherfuckers. i enjoyed arcade a lot as well, even though once you complete his mission with the enclave remnants (which is great) you inexplicably can't use him anymore.

weapons were significantly better, really liked the strength requirement so my gun toting soldier girl was only a 6 strength so the anti-materiel rifle was off limits, but it wasn't like F3 where you get the hunting rifle early and you use it throughout the rest of the game.

my major gripes about FNV, and the series in general, is the Glorious Brown-O-Vision (which is pushed to the point of self-parody at Ceasar's camp) and the fact that sometimes the city felt kind of empty, could have used a little more stuff inbetween all the screens on freeside you know? and i think more games need to completely rip off mass effect's cinematic presentation of conversations

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 01-19-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #68
Order 66
Socialphobic

alot of nerds would demand my balls torn off for saying this.. but maybe its time to move off of 50s americana? like maybe 70s/80s americana for the next game or something... i know it'd be a huge retcon but i feel retro-future 50s americana has been beat to death not just by fallout but other games too. just not that impactful anymore. plus the cold war was still going on well until the late 80s so it could still make sense

i just think up to a point its going to get stale if it isn't already. though there are ways to mix it up.. i noticed new vegas kind of dusted it under the rug a little. it was generally just "retro western" more than anything

Last edited by Order 66 : 01-19-2013 at 01:17 PM.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #69
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

I can definitely see Bethesda addressing the stifling greyness/brownness, since it's by far the most common complaint. That, or the world being boring and lifeless. Like in Half-Life 2, a lot of the city has been shelled into oblivion but the greyness is not there. So maybe Vancouver or something would make a better setting. Or maybe there's a huge city that has the totalitarian feel due to Enclave control, and then you wander into the wild. In that regard, New York or Chicago would work...

Maybe next-gen graphics and a new setting will be enough

The 50's thing is built into the lore though so changing that would require an overhaul of the entire brand

Old 01-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #70
Order 66
Socialphobic

the next game is rumored to be in the commonwealth so it'll be more glitzy and fututistic if thats true. hopefully bethesda took notes from some of the fallout 3/NV mods that clear up the environs better

Old 01-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #71
Trotskilicious
Banned

the ray gun deco in fallout is integral, honestly if you're going to complain about other games doing it, then they're just copying fallout because that was a part of the original 2d computer games from the 90s. and it's funny, you're practically asking to get rid of Vault Boy.

i dunno if you're also mistaking bioshock as being "50s Americana" or more precisely, ray gun deco and some googie elements, but Bioshock is Futurized 20s Art Deco

Old 01-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #72
Trotskilicious
Banned

i'd like to point out that the only console games i've played really over the last few years are the fallouts, the mass effects, S K Y R I M, Bioshock 1, and NBA 2k

am i missing out on anything

Old 01-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #73
Order 66
Socialphobic

Dishonored was cool but with bioshock infinite around the corner i dont know if i'd bother since Infinite's gameplay looks to be Dishonored on steroids

Dark Souls is a must have if youre into dungeon crawlers ... though i'd hate to cal it a 'dungeon crawler' for some reaosn

Old 01-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #74
Trotskilicious
Banned

is it like level up your characters and nuke shit

Old 01-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #75
Order 66
Socialphobic

no you can be leveled up to infinity but a minor enemy can still kill you with a few stabs if you let your guard down. it tests your wits like an old school arcade shooter would.

the game has a fanatical following but i'm somewhere in the middle. probably because i play rpgs to unwind, and it surely isnt 'relaxing'... but it does make you feel like a god at times

Old 01-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #76
Trotskilicious
Banned

i just prefer rpgs to almost anything except for a well made sports title like nba 2k

Old 01-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #77
Trotskilicious
Banned

so i've made my way though the mass effect series, again with my femme shep vanguard because i couldn't get anyone else to look as convincingly part of the universe. Well other than Tony Stark-Shepard, since full N7 armor does look like Iron Man.

mass effect 1 has a delightful sense of innocence and dorky sci-fi homage, with nerd characters all over the ship. however, its issues are threefold: first, even on hardcore it's easy as shit and i never used hardly any of my powers as much as a lark (when you can blast fuckers pretty quickly with the shotty it's kind of a waste of time to lift them and then aim at them), second the texture ressing issues are confusing considering S K Y R I M, I know it was released much later but jesus the number of times you walk into an area or a scene and the texture aren't loaded is incredibly distracting and third, the unbelievable amount of useless guns they fling at you relentlessly. I think the story is tighter, characters are generally interesting and pleasantly devoid of grim mysteriousness, angst or any other tiresome trope that is mistaken as "cool" (in fact, making Wrex such a comedian really made his character likeable, same with Garrus), the galaxy is wonderfully detailed and realized, and the ending is still brilliantly put together.

mass effect 2 improves on a lot of things gameplay wise. Once you get used to it and aren't terrified of leaving cover (course I beat it once before, adding barrier to my vanguard skills), combat is better, it's much more challenging and when you get over that hump on hardcore mode it's incredibly rewarding to fuck dudes up because you really lean on team mates with skills like Overload, Incinerate and anything else that does damage to shields or armor. So I tell Mordin to incinerate a collector with armor ("Flammable, or inflammable? DOESN'T MATTER.") and then shep blasts him with a shotty, that's fuckin teamwork.

Mordin is one of their greatest character achievements, and makes up for at least 3 annoying characters like Jack (ooh ~ so hardcore) and etc. You have to appreciate the fact that they've basically created a likable, funny, affable individual partly responsible for a horrific mass abortion/genocide. It's what bioware used to to pretty good at, toeing that line of good and evil, although I'd say Fallout's original dev team is far better at this kind of realism. legion is one of the coolest surprises, and is flat awesome; took him and mordin to the collector ship and wrecked shop. all the dialogues with legion are fuckin great, and the audio file of the geth asking the quarian "does this unit has a soul?" is really well done and rather chilling. i love the implied idea that the geth basically built a shepard platform to do shepard things (especially for a series that seems to explain everything to you and leaves almost nothing up for interpretation). i enjoyed the non linear element of the story and the loyalty missions even though i would have liked to shoot more people on a couple of them. I'm not sure if it's a fair to complain that a lot of their "towns" are very small and kind of empty but that's a problem with all of it, but it is japanese rpg style in its ways sometimes. Mass Effect is very much a marriage between western rpg traditions and the linear storyline of japanese rpgs.

I liked the limited power tree, could have used a few more weapons but it was a relief after the mess that was Mass Effect's inventory. I also noticed a lot of renegade options were darker than the first game which is sort of disappointing since my shep is cold, but not evil. The Terminator final boss is a sad wholesale rip from another popular series (you could make that case for the reapers as a whole being a pastiche of cthulu terminator harvesters), and honestly when I heard ME3's ending was terrible I thought "well mass effect 2's ending wasn't very good either." However, one of the fun things about the last fight is all the team selection issues and the fact that some of them die (I didn't upgrade a few systems just so I could watch Jack and Kasumi die). Also the fact that you can cruise around afterward and finish up anything you didn't do.

If you play the fist and second games enough you start to notice that a lot of it is the illusion of choice, whatever shep says doesn't really matter to the characters they are talking to, and I noticed a lot of the Paragon, Neutral, or Renegade conversation options result in either shep saying the same thing each time no matter what the choice is, or another character not even reacting to it. Unsurprising really, considering the amount of detail that goes into these scenes.

Now I'm finally working on ME3 and I'm already kind of disappointed, if I hadn't spoiled the ending I think I would have expected something like a cornball starchild. First of all my kick ass femme shep doesn't import to ME3 so I'm forced to redo her entire look and it hasn't been successful yet. In fact, I think one of the problems is that they made her body thinner and more "feminine" which is v. bad when you're a fuckin vanguard hardass. Jinette is made of scar tissue, bullet wounds and twisted sinew, not some dainty feminine sprite.

Second, the dialogue was sometimes kind of poor in parte thee firste and thee seconde but in a charmingly dorky way but now it's corny in a shitty hollywood blockbuster way. When my shep gave kaiden an order to wake up I just about vomited on myself. Plus all the grandstanding about reapers is kind of silly, are they "bastards"? I mean when you set up a villain this big and impossible to stop you should stick with the neutrality of their task, they don't even give a shit about you this is just how the universe works...but you could have done that with a spacefaring locust menace and spared yourself all the difficulty in figuring out how to destroy fleets of ships bigger than anything else in the galaxy but i digress...

also i noticed throughout the second and third games, they curse way more than they ever did in the first, and and a bunch of characters say bitch and son of a bitch so much i just can't even. In fact when Victus says "I piss people off" which repeats something Garrus already said almost word for word previously, which is annoying in of itself but then the whole idiom on top of it... I can accept garrus saying something like "pissing people off" since he's worked with humans since ever, but another species that hasn't really left his planet? I mean come on it just feels like you're being fucking lazy and not thinking very hard about expressions like that. You might as well have Victus calling people pendejos.

also there's a sparring scene in 3 with vega where he punches you a bunch and if you're dainty fem shep it looks like abuse, even though my shep is a vanguard that's supposed to be in the front lines with a shotgun and biotics...but she's so small compared to him it doesn't look very convincing. and then immediately afterwards he hits on fem shep, which is REAL weird, and of course my shep told him that he has to call her commander. also, there's this female reporter shep can punch in the second game that i think is supposed to be a joke but it's really not funny to hit an unarmed woman? Or am I being hypocritical because the Shadow Broker vid of the krogan throwing a salarian into the vorcha pit had me laughing out loud? the anti press and anti political stances of the game are generally confusing but that is a pretty general (dumb) attitude of most americans, so I digress. I have a very hard time believing that it would be difficult to amass an unified cross-species front against extra galactic dark gods bent on eradicating all life.

biggest cornball hack writer moment so far was the dream sequence. if there's another one i think i may have an aneurysm. Narrative starts to suck when dream sequences get involved, this is a rule. Unless it's Lynchian in which the dream sequences are confused and surreal, like actual dreams (at least mine) instead of just dramatic unsubtle metaphors related to the plot.

Combat is pretty fun on 3, it's nice that my biotic now has a megapunch and the melee isn't as fuckin useless as it was on 2 but some of this shit is fuckin irritating, dealing with 2 brutes with no incinerate (MORDIN WHERE ART THOU) is a little bit too hard to throw at me at the beginning of the game.

Also what happened to Liara's refusal to use contractions and how did her eyes get darker? I mean I can buy the character shift but the contractions thing, I just kind of thought it was a cute touch to really color her as a very anti-social, awkward research nerd. Still I miss the breathy, excited dorkiness of ME1's liara as opposed to making her "darker" and apparently to the developers, "cooler" and probably "sexier."

I think really the bottom line for the turn for the worse in this series is that it started trying to be cool, and it has no idea what that is and they just assume it's dark grimness. I really miss the dorky innocent star treky feel of the first game.

TLDR

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 01-25-2013 at 04:23 PM.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #78
MusicMan4

i'm a dark/demons souls fanatic
you'd be insane to pass on them

Old 01-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #79
MusicMan4

all i really care about coming out is the new monosoft game for wii u and shin megami tensi x fire emblem

and i guess ni no kuni but i can't afford it

Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #80
Order 66
Socialphobic

i was going to hold off on gushing about it, because i didn't want to fall victim to the hipster hype, but i just finished hotline miami and it is without a doubt my game of the year. really is brilliant on just about every level.

probably the soundtrack of the forever too
http://soundcloud.com/devolverdigita...miami-official

Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #81
Order 66
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveflower View Post
and i guess ni no kuni but i can't afford it
i've been meaning to get a ps3 mostly for its blu ray player but couldnt muster the motivation to go out and get one.. but seeing that game sealed the deal. still hurting from the holidays so it'll have to wait a month or two though

Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #82
Trotskilicious
Banned

are there game hipsters now

Old 01-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #83
Order 66
Socialphobic

i guess 'hipster' is the wrong word.. but whatever you'd call the pc/indie elite snobs

Old 01-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #84
Trotskilicious
Banned

pc snobs are only annoying because they have the disposable income to sink into computers. the rest of us shlubs have to make do with consoles.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #85
Order 66
Socialphobic

i have a high-end gaming PC but prefer consoles because playing on PC is such a pain in the ass. the hardest stage in hotline miami for example would crash every time i reached its end, and there's no excuse seeing as to how this thing can handle skyrim and far cry 3. normally i would have quit then and there but the game was so good i kept playing until i could beat the stage quick enough before the crash

really tempting to get bioshock infinite on PC. it would look godly on this thing but i just don't want to risk it. i'm playing it safe with 360

Old 01-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #86
Mooney
Socialphobic

Arrow

Quote:
pc snobs are only annoying because they have the disposable income to sink into computers. the rest of us shlubs have to make do with consoles.
pc gamers are annoying because they shit all over anyone who decides for whatever reason that they'd rather play games on a console.

i built a pc for around $400 a year and a half ago that can run circles around a ps3/xbox 360. i've since added a second video card and some extra cooling for overclocking to bring it around $600 total. i pirate half my games, so there is a few hundred dollars in savings in that respect. so yeah, it's not necessarily a money thing - i imagine when the next consoles come out if they cost ~$500 initially you could easily build a computer that could outperform them.

but yeah, sometimes i'd much rather just sit on a couch with a controller.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:20 AM   #87
Trotskilicious
Banned

well it's also the product as it stands, you don't have to keep plugging shit into it to make games work you know?

Old 01-26-2013, 03:22 AM   #88
Trotskilicious
Banned

also can i say how much i hate DLC, feels like most of the time it's cut content they work on after the game is released and then plug it back into the game for 10-15 extra bucks. Fuck you.

there's a fine line too, they started it with expansion packs but i still don't quite understand why, say, Civ 4 which is a better game with all the expansion packs in it didn't have that stuff in the first place. the Day 1 DLC phenomenon is great to some and terrible to people who have functioning rational minds, since it completely destroys the idea that this isn't new content, it's strategically withheld content that was pruned from the game itself so they could milk another 10-15 bucks out of the consumer. The consumer doesn't have to buy it but unfortunately when you're dealing with nerds they just have this completionist mindset that game corps really take advantage of.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #89
Mooney
Socialphobic

Thumbs down

Quote:
also can i say how much i hate DLC, feels like most of the time it's cut content they work on after the game is released and then plug it back into the game for 10-15 extra bucks. Fuck you.
DLC used to be often included right on the original disc at release, and then only unlocked when you paid for the code. that is absolute bullshit.

but what drives me more nuts, is all these pre-order bonuses which actually affect gameplay and give competitive advantages. some games have exclusive bonuses from each retailer, so if you want to actually own the entire game when it is released you would have to buy it four or five times.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #90
Mooney
Socialphobic

http://ca.ign.com/wikis/bioshock-inf...-Order_Bonuses