Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 03-14-2016, 12:22 AM   #241
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I wish William Patrick Corgan III had named me so my name could be Gediminas Saturn Corgan or Ignatius Kepler-22b Corgan.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:31 AM   #242
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I know the moves I'm supposed to make. And I know the board. I've been doing a lot of thinking lately. And I've started to focus out beyond the edge of the board. On a bigger game. The sound the wind makes through the vines. The sentience of animals. What we fear in the dark and what lies beyond the darkness. I'm talking about seeing beyond fear. About looking at the world with love.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:26 PM   #243
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

I've just realized that I will only listen to Brazilian music when I'm drunk

funny(?)

Old 03-16-2016, 05:59 PM   #244
redbreegull

a woman who I went to school with but didn't really know randomly facebook messaged me the other day because I had posted a youtube video of this really obscure americana band she likes. I was all like I've never met someone who knows who they are! etc etc. we messaged back and forth a few times. said band is in town in a few weeks. is it weird if I ask her to come with me?

Old 03-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #245
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Yeah but who gives a shit?

Old 03-16-2016, 06:37 PM   #246
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Only do it after you get drunk or otherwise on Friday and/or Saturday night

Old 03-16-2016, 07:15 PM   #247
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
Yeah but who gives a shit?
this is probably the right attitude but so much anxiety

Old 03-16-2016, 07:21 PM   #248
hnibos
Braindead

What have you got to lose

Old 03-16-2016, 08:06 PM   #249
redbreegull

I would say my dignity or self-esteem but hey, looks like those things are on vacation. Should I just ask her or should I pull the, "I have two tickets but my friend can't go"?

Old 03-16-2016, 08:16 PM   #250
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

rbg, i say meet her, see how things roll, and if you seem to like each other, just pop the question naturally. one thing i've learned in my very inexperienced love life, is that you can overanalyze all you like. at the end of the day, if the girl likes you, she'll make it easy for you. and if she doesn't, she will just say no anyway.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:20 PM   #251
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I would say my dignity or self-esteem but hey, looks like those things are on vacation. Should I just ask her or should I pull the, "I have two tickets but my friend can't go"?
Relax. Just ask her if she'd like to go with you. She can read into it however she likes.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:26 PM   #252
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

let me tell you guys a story about stinging slap to the face, five red fingers on the cheek kind of rejection.

the other day, feeling lonely and depressed, i went out to eat at a restaurant by myself. (i've always felt terrible when i'd see a stranger sitting alone at a restaurant, and now that i'm on the other side, i know why. it's shitty indeed)
so i'm sitting there, eating a bowl of seafood linguini, and i spot a visually enjoyable female figure to my left, also sitting alone and drinking wine. so i start this self defeating dialogue with myself, and it takes me the whole bowl of pasta to decide that i'm going to be one of those guys and pop and opener on her. so in excruciating insecurity i fake confidence, and go: "...ya know, only losers go to restaurants by themselves."
she actually laughed, pretty wholeheartedly! so we go on the usual "what brings you to town" (she's also a foreigner) et cetera. and after a bit i say, "so, would you like to go get some coffee sometimes or something?"
i thought i nailed it, man! so casual. certain humans of the darker variety would even assert it "smoooooooth".
but she's like, "probably not". somehow the "probably" made it even harsher.
so then i told her "cool. have a nice evening then". and sat there for like two more minutes to prove a point that she won't make me escape in shame. and then i escaped in total shame, though i made sure i walked out looking confident. and then i went home and cried underneath my bed.

tehbolly out, i'll die alone.

Last edited by teh b0lly!!1 : 03-16-2016 at 08:31 PM.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:42 PM   #253
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

I once shouted to a random girl at a ski lodge "Can I eat you out?!"

She said no. Middle school was the best except when it wasn't.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:22 PM   #254
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
rbg, i say meet her, see how things roll, and if you seem to like each other, just pop the question naturally. one thing i've learned in my very inexperienced love life, is that you can overanalyze all you like. at the end of the day, if the girl likes you, she'll make it easy for you. and if she doesn't, she will just say no anyway.
This is a girl I went to school with who I met a few times years ago. She's super friendly and extroverted so that does make it easier, and she always likes my statuses. Pulling out the do you want to see this show with me thing makes sense because she specifically messaged me about this band. I was thinking this would be a better way to ask her out than to just ask her out for coffee or something because the pretense of going to a show we are mutually interested in is there, so it doesn't have to be a "date" if she agrees but then isn't into it once we start hanging out. I dunno. I seriously don't know how I have been as successful with the opposite sex as I have been considering how bad my anxiety is. I have never received a yes by asking a girl out like this, ever. Every woman I have ever been involved with was someone who I got to know in a social setting and then pursued me.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:31 PM   #255
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
let me tell you guys a story about stinging slap to the face, five red fingers on the cheek kind of rejection.

the other day, feeling lonely and depressed, i went out to eat at a restaurant by myself. (i've always felt terrible when i'd see a stranger sitting alone at a restaurant, and now that i'm on the other side, i know why. it's shitty indeed)
so i'm sitting there, eating a bowl of seafood linguini, and i spot a visually enjoyable female figure to my left, also sitting alone and drinking wine. so i start this self defeating dialogue with myself, and it takes me the whole bowl of pasta to decide that i'm going to be one of those guys and pop and opener on her. so in excruciating insecurity i fake confidence, and go: "...ya know, only losers go to restaurants by themselves."
she actually laughed, pretty wholeheartedly! so we go on the usual "what brings you to town" (she's also a foreigner) et cetera. and after a bit i say, "so, would you like to go get some coffee sometimes or something?"
i thought i nailed it, man! so casual. certain humans of the darker variety would even assert it "smoooooooth".
so then i told her "cool. have a nice evening then". and sat there for like two more minutes to prove a point that she won't make me escape in shame. and then i escaped in total shame, though i made sure i walked out looking confident. and then i went home and cried underneath my bed.

QUICKSAND!

Old 03-16-2016, 11:33 PM   #256
redbreegull

lolol "probably not"

not trying to make fun of you teh bolly, seems like you did everything right, but that's like something out of a sitcom.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:35 PM   #257
redbreegull

I am really restricted by this intense fear I have of being perceived by women as being creepy or making unwanted advances. It's SO hard for me to just go up to someone I don't know because I will just torture myself afterwards with what a weird loser she probably thinks I am and how uncomfortable I probably made her with my unwelcome affections

Old 03-17-2016, 01:57 AM   #258
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:

I never go to places alone, but I'm starting to consider it. I mean, I never see movies because I don't have anybody to see movies with. In fact, I always kind of resent my sister when she asks me "have you seen [movie X] yet?" I'm like, why would you even ask me that? You know the answer already. Of course fucking not. Who the fuck would I see it with? I mean, I don't actually say that, because it would be pretty psycho to go nuts on somebody just because they politely asked me if I saw a movie, but my internal monologue is essentially "REEEEEEEE!"

I'm starting to consider just going to the cinema alone now, though. I mean, am I actually not going to watch new movies ever? Seriously, the last time I was in a movie theater was two or three years ago, and that's because I tagged along with my sister and her boyfriend. If there're movies I wanna see, yeah, may as well just go see them.

Eating at an actual sit-down restaurant that isn't just a fast food place alone is pretty weird though, sorry.

As for your story, it sounds like you were pretty smooth. It just didn't work because it just didn't work. I mean, it's not like doing everything right and being charming guarantees you a particular person's interest. Chin up, bro.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:35 AM   #259
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
I am really restricted by this intense fear I have of being perceived by women as being creepy or making unwanted advances. It's SO hard for me to just go up to someone I don't know because I will just torture myself afterwards with what a weird loser she probably thinks I am and how uncomfortable I probably made her with my unwelcome affections
look RBG, I know we tussle with one another, but I think you're a good guy... You can't read too much into this kind of thing. You're bordering on obsessive here.... If you're intrigued by the womans comment and she initiated the dialogue then theres nothing creepy about saying "I got tickets to their show coming up, are you going?" then she'll probably say something like "oh shit! they are!? Oh man I wishh!" and you can just say "well my friend kinda seems like he might be bailing out, if he does do you wanna come?"

Nothing creepy about it

Old 03-17-2016, 10:40 AM   #260
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I never go to places alone, but I'm starting to consider it. I mean, I never see movies because I don't have anybody to see movies with. In fact, I always kind of resent my sister when she asks me "have you seen [movie X] yet?" I'm like, why would you even ask me that? You know the answer already. Of course fucking not. Who the fuck would I see it with? I mean, I don't actually say that, because it would be pretty psycho to go nuts on somebody just because they politely asked me if I saw a movie, but my internal monologue is essentially "REEEEEEEE!"

I'm starting to consider just going to the cinema alone now, though. I mean, am I actually not going to watch new movies ever? Seriously, the last time I was in a movie theater was two or three years ago, and that's because I tagged along with my sister and her boyfriend. If there're movies I wanna see, yeah, may as well just go see them.

Eating at an actual sit-down restaurant that isn't just a fast food place alone is pretty weird though, sorry.

As for your story, it sounds like you were pretty smooth. It just didn't work because it just didn't work. I mean, it's not like doing everything right and being charming guarantees you a particular person's interest. Chin up, bro.
I don't think going to a cinema alone is weird. You show up right on time, walk in and the lights are going down and you sit down, and enjoy the theater and the picture and leave. It's not a social event or anything. With that said, I've never done it personally, but I see a lot of other people doing it. I go to a lot of concerts alone though and it never phases me. Some friends of mine find it odd but hey, it's hard finding people to go see a concert on a Monday!

don't worry about what people think and you'll have a good time

Old 03-17-2016, 01:31 PM   #261
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Yeah, I've gone to the theater alone a ton of times. Sometimes what I wanna see just doesn't appeal to my friends and loved ones. Or sometimes no one else has the time or the money and I just want to see it regardless.

Only been to one concert alone. I admittedly felt a little weird about being in such a huge crowd without anyone to talk to between bands, but that's just me.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:00 PM   #262
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

redbreegull what'd she say?

Old 03-17-2016, 03:07 PM   #263
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
this is probably the right attitude but so much anxiety
https://media.giphy.com/media/qFNnOKIs6tBD2/giphy.gif

Old 03-17-2016, 06:21 PM   #264
FoolofaTook

Quote:
yeah i can totes relate. i hate it when women think i am coming on to them. i think it has something to do with a lack of self confidence. maybe. just maybe.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:53 PM   #265
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:

I've been thinking about this story and just wanted to respond that I think you're fucken brave and I hope you don't feel too bad about the result. All you can do is try, but most of us don't. You did. And if you keep doing it, chances are it will result in something good.

I have also spent extended periods of loneliness and isolation in my life. I just came to the end of a 7-year period in a very small insular rural community where I often had no friends (much less love interests) at all. I did a lot of journaling, a lot of guitar playing, and I rode my bike a lot, and those things helped. But that extended isolation and loneliness sometimes is overwhelming.

I'm not gonna offer any trite "you'll make its" or "hang in theres," because that shit never helped me to hear. But even if it seems like there's no light at the end of the tunnel, from someone who knows what it's like, I hope you can find some fun or healing or edification while inside the tunnel itself.

Fuck, sorry, that sounds patronizing as shit

Old 03-17-2016, 08:35 PM   #266
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post

Fuck, sorry, that sounds patronizing as shit
I'll try:

Don't Be Sorry. Walden Fucking Pond. Man Up. Fuck The World. Record Your Results.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:48 PM   #267
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
redbreegull what'd she say?
Quote:
Whattt that sounds awesome. Are there still tickets?

Old 03-17-2016, 10:03 PM   #268
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
I'll try:

Don't Be Sorry. Walden Fucking Pond. Man Up. Fuck The World. Record Your Results.
Slunken that's brilliant. When you get a chance, could I send you approximately 600 pages of single-spaced self-help journals for similar treatment? If you don't mind a looooooooot of masturbation scenes, I think we could be on to something here

Old 03-17-2016, 10:19 PM   #269
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Old 03-17-2016, 10:20 PM   #270
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

tonight i have the first of like 7 upcoming dates with faceless ladies from the internet.
will be back with stories of failure and rejection by tmrw. (boarding a plane to San Fransisco in 2 hrs btw)