Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
matcada
Pledge

Question Could someone help me on this?

http://youtu.be/mxIl8PEpkFk?t=36m33s

From 36:33

Could just someone tells me what BC is trying to explain about this "royalties" thing?
BC and Tony Wilson talked about 75/90 percent, which came from the "Shellac" model (emerging technologies) or something like that, but I hardly understand where it comes from or what it refers to.

My guess is that this is referring to the mechanicals roylaty rates.... but I'm not sure.

Thanks for you help guys.

Last edited by matcada : 08-10-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcada View Post
http://youtu.be/mxIl8PEpkFk?t=36m33s

From 36:33

Could just someone tells me what BC is trying to explain about this "royalties" thing?
BC and Tony Wilson talked about 75/90 percent, which came from the "Shellac" model (emerging technologies) or something like that, but I hardly understand where it comes from or what it refers to.

Thanks for you help guys.
shellac (old word for vinyl) model is a scam where they claim 10% of every vinyl pressed gets broken in manufacturing/shipping, and it's the artist that has to pay for that. it's a scam. & there's no way 10% of every record pressed breaks - in what other business would you pay for broken goods?
they use the word royalties, because they're records that get pressed but don't get sold because they apparently got destroyed. so the artist not only pays for them, but doesn't get paid their royalty. it's a double scam. but it always depends on the contract you sign, and it's a common clause for the big boys.

when they introduced CD's they started adding a 'developing technology fee' of 15%, which the artist also pays for. it was to cover the new CD burning machines and such.
So another new bullshit fees. like in 2013 you still have to pay the 15% to cover costs of the new CD technology. it's the equivalent of a monthly network connection activation fee for your phone

Old 08-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
matcada
Pledge

Allright I see, good illustration for a case of study on that particular subject (industry ripping off artists), thank you very much for your comment.

This interview (with one of the most noticable guy in this industry, RIP) is very interesting and teach you how it could have work for BC during his career, always liked to watch this, even if I don't get it sometimes.

We could say that if Billy hasn't been that straight guy in his conception of the "business", The Pumpkins would not have been that particular compared to others bands. I mean, not only musically.
Ok it's a bit confused...

Old 08-11-2013, 05:38 AM   #4
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

where's the anger, dude?

Old 08-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
matcada
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
where's the anger, dude?
Hey Ice Cream Cooler, do you have a mail or something? I want to express the anger personally...

Old 08-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #6
Cool As Ice Cream

fuck you you motherfucker cuntbag shithole poophead!

Old 08-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
Cool As Ice Cream

god fucking dammit! i don't give a shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!

Old 08-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
matcada
Pledge

Come on, I can teach you how to do better, lack of consistance in your words, use your french knowledge my friend....

But seriously I had some qustions about serious topics for my study, because you are a motherfucking expert on a kind of particular subject (being a fan for years)

But if not, that's ok, studies on bootlegging are old shit matters hu?

Old 08-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcada View Post
Allright I see, good illustration for a case of study on that particular subject (industry ripping off artists), thank you very much for your comment.

This interview (with one of the most noticable guy in this industry, RIP) is very interesting and teach you how it could have work for BC during his career, always liked to watch this, even if I don't get it sometimes.

We could say that if Billy hasn't been that straight guy in his conception of the "business", The Pumpkins would not have been that particular compared to others bands. I mean, not only musically.
Ok it's a bit confused...
what?
i'm confused by your English.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
matcada
Pledge

Even if they've been totally and deeply into the music business, the personnality of BC, dealing with the sharks of the majors, surely had consequences on the entire carreer and reputation of the band.

He had a lot of talent, so people from the industry maybe just left him alone, but it is also because he knew exactly what he wants, and he is a very straight person, that he've been able to survive to pressures&success.

I mean, not entirely.... who had? The Stones? Ah ah, let me laugh !

Old 08-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #11
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

ill do it on sunday

Old 08-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
T&T
Socialphobic

for sure. I mean who else thought these things through & could write such a strong melody at the same time. the way he talks about it publicly is an easy show like lobsters at a corn roast! HAHAHAH!. like pretty right!? It's cause he was a fan of the cure and the drum machine at first but Jimmy changed all that with the Zero video. Billy's not a fool who'd pay for a hair stylist on the record labels dime. Zwan was a success!