Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
bs1933
Demi-God

Default Infinite Sadness - the song

I think this is a very under appreciated song. Call me crazy, but it's actually one of my favorites! I love how the bass line breaks away toward the end and becomes more of the lead component of the track.

Since it's been released again on the TAFH reissue I have been thinking a little more about the song. It's from the Siamese Dream sessions, but the chord progression is unmistakeable in MCIS the song and the piano outro to Farewell & Goodnight. So it came first, but it's kind of the forgotten child when it comes to these piano/string/mellotron theme pieces. It sounds very lo-fi and may be just a demo, I always wished it had a higher larger production sound like the rest of the tracks...

Has Billy ever said anything on record about this song? The origin or evolution into the MCIS tracks? I have just always been so curious about it. It's just kind of been somewhat of a mystery track to me.

And speaking of the piano outro to Farewell & Goodnight - I think it's an amazing close to the album. It gives me chills every time! People slam on a bunch of the tracks on the back end of that disc but when you listen to the whole album I think it all makes a perfect crescendo and fits in the Twilight to Starlight theme. It's also sort of sentimental because it was really the end of that band in a way...

Old 08-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
T&T
Socialphobic

there's a bum note in the bass part, i don't know how they let it pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
at 2:58 the bass hits an F (instead of the F#) in the descending lick/line (A-B-A G F E D)
the guitar and mellotron are playing chord changes are C G D...
and this line takes place during the D (which is major and has an F# in it)
it's a bum note.
http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=175201

I always assumed it was originally to be the last song, but farewell & goodnight was so much stronger and easily segued into a piano outro as well, so they ran with that idea instead.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
bs1933
Demi-God

Hilarious I forgot about that thread, and that I posted basically the same thing there. lol

Old 08-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
Venom
Ownz

Infinite Sadness is alright for an instrumental. Mmmm, that Mellotron.

The piano outro for Farewell & Goodnight, as pointed out before, is MCIS (the song) played backwards. Nobody mentioned the "nighttime" MCIS outro to Ruby?!?

Old 08-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs1933 View Post
Call me maybe
Heeheee

Old 08-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
CrabbMan
Amish Hoe Fighter

dammit, I am not hearing which note you're talking about and it's driving me crazy. what is the time it occurs in the remaster TAFH? can you hum it and point out which part is wrong?