Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2019, 07:58 PM   #91
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

No lie, Make Believe had some jams. Perfect Situation, This is Such a Pity... Shame the rest of the thing couldn't live up to those tracks.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:00 PM   #92
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Old 02-21-2019, 12:03 AM   #93
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post

Old 02-21-2019, 01:22 AM   #94
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
No lie, Make Believe had some jams. Perfect Situation, This is Such a Pity... Shame the rest of the thing couldn't live up to those tracks.
Make Believe is half good, for sure. I also associate it with good memories so I am biased

Old 02-21-2019, 01:28 AM   #95
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Nah, I unironically love Everything Will Be Alright In The End and The White Album, but it was a long road to get there. In fact, I still have the deluxe versions of Raditude and The Red Album to prove it.
Quote:
i actually meant Spoon, but by all means, continue!

Old 02-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #96
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
i actually meant Spoon, but by all means, continue!
Fuzzy to thread!

Old 02-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #97
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

You should know I am an idiot who can't read and/or follow my own train of thoughts. Basically like an illiterate Catherine Wheel.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #98
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

so what you're saying is

it looks like a bear?

Old 02-21-2019, 09:20 AM   #99
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Old 02-22-2019, 08:16 AM   #100
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:23 AM   #101
FoolofaTook

Beautiful? In the Anals of Netphoria Lore, this flowering of the Golden Age of Malora shall be known by one word and one word alone: S E N E S C E N T (!!!).

Old 02-22-2019, 11:53 AM   #102
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

(he's right tho, don't you ever get it twisted again)

Old 03-05-2019, 12:15 AM   #103
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Seems like there are only a few other bonafide Ryan Adams fans on here, but lots of thoughts on this one... so I'll let 'er rip.

I have his whole catalog, and while it's a little hit or miss - when he hits - so good. Have seen him three or four times, and they've ranged from poor to good shows, never great. Never met him, but a while ago, he put something up on Instagram about the release of the album Gold, and he asked people to message him their favorite memories of the album. So, I did - my wife and I had our first dance at our wedding to a song from that album. He replied to my message directly with a very, very kind and heartfelt sentiment.

A few weeks ago, before the news of Ryan's behavior broke, my wife and I watched the R. Kelly lifetime documentary. One thing that stood out to me that just blew our minds is how people still supported him through the allegations and the knowledge of what he was doing. Some commentator said something to the effect of 'people have a hard time separating the music from the man, and they want to let the music overshadow any imperfections that the man has. After all, these people danced to his songs at their weddings and sang his songs in church." My wife and I were just bewildered by that with the horrible things that he was doing - the fact that people could still support him and not just drop him like a brick was mindboggling to me.

Andddd here we are, weeks later, with a white guy whose music means a ton to me with allegations against him and an expose article derailing his career. Now, we could get into the whole "Ryan Adams is no R. Kelly" topic... which I would wholly echo, as the things Ryan did/allegedly did are of a FAR FAR lower magnitude - but they're still somewhere on that spectrum. So do we sell all of his records and scrap him from our musical lives, or do we just forgive him? Tough stuff.

Was reading a Pitchfork article about the fact that his album (which was going to be the first of three to be released in 2019!) was pulled and what it was doing to album sales. Interesting section here:

"Judy Mills, owner of Mills Record Company in Kansas City, Missouri, acknowledges that under other circumstances, a big album from someone whose fans are devoted vinyl buyers would have been welcome.

“As I was a pulling a Ryan Adams box set off the floor, I also pulled his artist card from the racks, and I thought to myself: What do I do with the other artists out here, filling my sales floor, who are alleged to be sexual molesters, offenders, rapists, misogynists, and plain ol’ assholes?“ Mills adds. “It’s easy to stop stocking those artists going forward, but what about now that I own them?”

With Adams and R. Kelly in the news, Mills says it’s easy to choose not to stock them, new or used. “But then John Lennon, Jimmy Page, and Phil Spector, because they’re not in the news, it’s OK to carry them?” she wonders. “Not gonna stock the Beatles? Led Zep?”

Jim Novak, a buyer for Minneapolis’ Electric Fetus, echoes that the monetary hit to his store from Adams’ canceled album is fairly small. “The main impact I’ve seen and felt is philosophical,” Novak says. “It’s causing a healthy conversation among our staff and customers: Culturally and personally how do we compartmentalize the art from the artist, if at all?”

Old 03-06-2019, 07:06 PM   #104
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
So do we sell all of his records and scrap him from our musical lives, or do we just forgive him? Tough stuff.
I think forgiveness is always on the table with these artists. Whether it's Ryan Adams or Kevin Spacey or whomever. The problem is, remorse with these fellas has been rather hard to come by. As a huge Louis C.K. fan, I've been disappointed that his response to being exposed as a sex pest is to re-brand himself as an alt-right comedian, showing up unexpectedly at comedy clubs and forcing folks to watch him riff on the Parkland kids. I really had thought, of all the people taken down by #MeToo, he might've had something of relevance to say after some time had passed and he had reflected on his behavior. He made so much witty, insightful art that I truly believed he'd be the one guy to actually stick the landing on this. But so far, neither he nor anyone in a similar situation has fully taken responsibility for their actions.

I'd love to see it, but I think we're a ways away from one of these guys apologizing and the general public accepting and moving on.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:39 PM   #105
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

apologizing in their art does not seem ideal to me

imagine R. Kelly coming back with a big sappy "I'm Real SORRY" song a couple years from now. i'd rather listen to Trapped in the Closet (the full closet experience)

Old 03-06-2019, 08:13 PM   #106
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Not apologizing in the art, so to speak, but more like publicly apologizing and adjusting behavior and doing the work to be a better person. That kinda stuff.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:29 PM   #107
FoolofaTook

in other words fake pr bullshit that they hire a team of professionals to manage for them

Old 03-06-2019, 08:29 PM   #108
FoolofaTook

people don't change: they get worse

Old 03-06-2019, 08:31 PM   #109
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
people don't change: they get worse
Not always. I don't believe that.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:33 PM   #110
LaBelle
Socialphobic

But none of them was able to give even a slightly passable apology. It's just "sorry I got caught" at best.
Or in the case Spacey harming the LGBT community by trying to hide his guilt behind him coming out as gay.

Last edited by LaBelle : 03-06-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #111
redbreegull

Al Franken genuinely seemed sorry

Old 03-06-2019, 09:16 PM   #112
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Damn, didn't even hear about Al Franken doing anything in the first place.
It's hard to keep up

Old 03-06-2019, 10:49 PM   #113
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
But none of them was able to give even a slightly passable apology. It's just "sorry I got caught" at best.
Or in the case Spacey harming the LGBT community by trying to hide his guilt behind him coming out as gay.
If this is a response to me, then I think you misunderstood or misread what I was saying.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:36 AM   #114
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post

"Judy Mills, owner of Mills Record Company in Kansas City, Missouri, acknowledges that under other circumstances, a big album from someone whose fans are devoted vinyl buyers would have been welcome.
Woah. That's wild. I know her. She was pretty instrumental in the initial vinyl resurgence in KCMO years ago. Puts on shows. Supports local heavily. Very nice lady.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:26 PM   #115
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

I find the whole "but John Lennon/Steven Tyler/Jerry Lee Lewis/Elvis/insert any iconic musician who was abusive and/or dated/married underage girls" extreeeeeemely reductive. The "what R. Kelly did is worse than what Ryan Adams did" argument, while technically true, is also reductive. It's dismissive of what the women and girls went through. Trauma is a personal thing and one person's trauma does not outrank another's.

We get so wrapped up in these men's talents and "legacies" and what it all means when the greater discussion should be about people coming forward about their traumas and how you can teach your sons to not abuse/rape. And to talk openly about the effects of psychological, emotional and verbal abuse.

We're seeing a bit of progress in that regard. Oprah interviewed Wade Robson and James Safechuck, the two guys who recounted their molestation from Michael Jackson, as a way to open the wider discussion about childhood sexual abuse.

Personally, I was a fan of Adams, I liked his first few records and Whiskeytown, but lost interest eventually. But the revelations were a real gut punch. I knew he struggled with addiction and mental health issues - like I do - but the young women he typically preyed on were about the same age I was when I considered myself a fan. That chilled me to the core.

Anyway, nothing but admiration and respect for Mandy Moore, Phoebe Bridgers and everyone else who's come forward to speak up about abuse.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:43 AM   #116
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I just thought of a mnemonic to remember which Adams is the rapist, and which is the "Summer of '69" guy.

"Ryan Rapist "

Now I'll never forget.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:35 AM   #117
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

"mnemonic" is just one of those funny cases where a complete word in the english language got forever and irrevocably ruined by a keanu reeves film

Old 07-23-2019, 01:25 AM   #118
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

So I guess he's back now? Will be very interesting to see how this plays out... which I guess you're going to have to click to see on his Instagram page because it wont let me embed for reasons unknown:

View this post on Instagram

“I have a lot to say. I am going to. Soon. Because the truth matters. It’s what matters most. I know who I am. What I am. It's time people know. Past time. All the beauty in a life cannot be reduced to rubble for confusion, ignoring truths that destroy all the good in us. This madness and misunderstanding. There’s enough of that in this world My work was always meant to be a map for the lost. I’ve tried my best to be open and accountable. Not a billboard. I mean, maybe for being flawed. I’ve always wanted to help. I’m trying. So, soon... because it’s time to get back to what I do best. I’m here for the music, for the love and for making things better. I didn’t have an easy life. I lost my brother the day the Prisoner Tour ended. Every night wondering if he would be alive. He was proud of me. My family and my friends were there for that. And so many great fans. For the Meineres community who suffer every day. This music was for then. It mattered. And that was always for it to help. So let’s do that. THAT will matter. The amends made and things lost in the noise, that should’ve mattered too. I want to be a part of that healing. To go play have some great shows and put out these badass records. Believe Women. Believe Truth. But never give up on being part of solutions, and healing. I’ve lost friends who have passed away in this time of self reflection and silence. I can’t be like that. There’s been too much that mattered. Thank you for your kindness, your support and for this time I needed to decide how I could be a part of a better tomorrow for everybody. Sometimes that peace comes from opening yourself up. That’s who I want to be. Here’s to that. With love and with faith- In all of us and our best and our faults RA

A post shared by Ryan Adams (@ryanadams) on

Old 07-24-2019, 07:49 PM   #119
redbreegull

uhhhh

Old 07-24-2019, 07:58 PM   #120
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

that was a whole word salad of nothing