Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2016, 09:51 PM   #1
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Default new Dandy Warhols and Joy Formidable albums out soon

Looking forward to both of them. Joy Formidable feel like the closest thing millenials will ever get to Nirvana.

I'm still debating whether I'll see the Dandy Warhols when they come here to DC in April.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
fuzzyroes
Banned

People are still excited about the Dandy Warhols? Hell... I didn't even know they existed outside of the 90's. Is there actually a cult-following who likes such a band?

Next thing you know people are gonna be excited about a new Sponge album

Old 03-18-2016, 10:23 PM   #3
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Based on the new song You Are Killing Me they are probably going back to their roots. So that's why I'm looking forward to this one.

But aside from that the only good albums they ever did were the first three. Those are classics. Some of the best albums of that decade. I actually think Come Down and Thirteen Tales are at least as good as anything The Verve or Blur ever did.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:40 PM   #4
fuzzyroes
Banned

did they just recently reunite or something? I haven't even heard them mentioned in over a decade

Old 03-18-2016, 10:48 PM   #5
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Well unlike Blur and the Verve they never went away. But they just don't generate much interest anymore and haven't in over a decade. I think the last hit they had was "We Used To Be Friends"

Old 03-18-2016, 11:55 PM   #6
run2pee
Minion of Satan

If you're interested in the Warhols you should check out Brian Jonestown Massacre, especially "Going To Hell"

This seems like the time/place/thread to admit that I have an inordinate, piss-pantsing enthusiasm for each of the Gin Blossoms's singles. If one comes on the radio it's all I can do not to crash the car

Old 03-19-2016, 11:11 PM   #7
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Joy Formidable's new one just leaked. Am downloading it now. Will tell you what I think soon.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:00 AM   #8
Catherine Wheel
Banned

It's less radio friendly and more raw and rough around the edges sounding than the last one. But I think I like it just as much. Very good.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:36 AM   #9
fuzzyroes
Banned

post it here brother.

I loved the first full length... But then a Wolfs Law kinda let me down... I mean it's good... But it just broke no new territory... Good atmospheric touches and sounds but no intricate, unique melodies. I could really see these guys taking an indie AC/DC route

Old 03-22-2016, 05:27 PM   #10
Catherine Wheel
Banned

I like Wolf's Law more than the Big Roar. It reminds me a lot of Siamese Dream with the grunge / shoegaze hybrid and the mix of loud songs and soft mellow songs and the use of strings. It's more diverse sounding than the first one.

I don't use any torrent sites for album leaks so I have nothing to share. I use the file sharing network Soulseek for all my music downloading.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:05 PM   #11
Catherine Wheel
Banned

I thought there were more J.F. fans here on Netphoria. Thought there would be more of a discussion. Or maybe it was just Trots and Eulogy who were the main J.F. enthusiasts.....