Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 11-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face Billy used to play in a band with Wayne Static?

I'm pretty schooled in SP history, but this is the first I've ever heard of this.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/inter...ml?no_takeover

Quote:
Billy had been playing in the band and we were looking for a drummer and he is the one who worked at a record store with Kenny.
Some pretty interesting factoids about early Pumpkins in there.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Oh, Billy tweeted about it:

https://twitter.com/Billy/status/528893858885926913

Old 11-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterlips View Post

Also how come this was never talked about on phoria or other boards?
It has been. Not much has come out of it.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I remember in the late 90's when someone from that deep blue dream band posted some live mp3's from the shows Billy played with them.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:19 PM   #5
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

did nobody actually read this thing?
I found it rather funny. Little Wayne, please stop singing!

Quote:
UG: You first met future Static-X drummer Ken Jay at a Virgin Music Store in Chicago?

SX: I was actually introduced to Ken by Billy Corgan. Billy had been playing in the band and we were looking for a drummer and he is the one who worked at a record store with Kenny. He's like, "I've got this guy that works at this record store with me that plays drums." So Billy introduced us and when we moved to LA, Kenny started working at Virgin.

UG: You were going to join a band with Billy Corgan or he was already doing the Smashing Pumpkins thing?

SX: He was doing both. He was in my band and he also had the Pumpkins. He was doing both bands. My band at the time in Chicago was pretty big. I had a band called Deep Blue Dream and we were selling out shows at all the local clubs there and the Pumpkins were just kind of this little startup band that didn't even have a drummer yet [laughs].
They were just kind of like a startup thing. I was bartending at this one club called Avalon and I happened to see them play.

UG: How were they?

SX: The band awful. It was horrible but Billy just shined. The way he played guitar was just incredible. I went up to him after a set and asked him if he wanted to join my band and he immediately said yes because we were a popular band at the time and I had been looking for a guitar player. So he actually played in both of our bands for about a year.

UG: That's a long time.

SX:The Pumpkins kinda started taking off after they got Jimmy [Chamberlin] on drums. Billy came to me one night and you could tell he felt really bad. He was all sick and everything and he was like, "Man, I can't do it anymore. It's just killing me. I practice seven nights a week and all these shows and I'm just too busy and I'm sick and I just can't do this anymore. So I have to choose my band."
Obviously I was disappointed losing my guitar player but he obviously made the right choice because they went on to be huge and my band broke up, hah hah hah.

UG: Do you think any of the music you made with Billy Corgan during that year he was in the band would sort of poke out its head in the songs you'd write later?

SX: Umm, no. At the time, Deep Blue Dream was much more like what the Pumpkins were like in the early days. Much more melodic and hippied and poppy and nothing at all like Static-X. It was really totally a whole different thing. But the funny this is we used to call Billy Little Wayne.

He played the same amp as I did -the Roland JC120 and he had a smaller version of the Roland amp. Mine had two 12-inch speakers and his had two eight-inch speakers. His hair wasn't quite as long as mine, hah hah hah.

He would try to sing backup but his voice was just horrible. We wouldn't let him sing. We'd be like, "Stop trying to sing. It sounds horrible. It just doesn't fit."

He's got one of those voices where like when he sings on his own, it's got a charm to it and it really works with his songs. But it didn't work with my songs, hah hah hah. Pretty funny that we used to call him little Wayne.

UG: You actually developed a guitar style meant to simplify your music such as splitting a guitar chord between you and Koichi so each of you are playing different voices of the chord.

Yeah. I actually taught Billy Corgan how to do that and then he got to use it before I did and I got really p-ssed off, hah hah hah.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/inter...nd_of_guy.html

Last edited by pavementtune : 11-04-2014 at 09:42 PM. Reason: I'm blind

Old 11-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #6
bye june
Ownz

Aww that's cute

Old 11-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
s0ss
Demi-God

Someone actually LIKES Billy?