Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #1
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Default Scariest movie of all time

Hello folks, it's Halloween time, and that means it is time for discussion of the unnerving and the horrifying. It seems most of you/us are fairly well acquainted with the deranged and/or depraved aspects of humanity. Is there a movie that has genuinely scared you during the adult phase of your life? Not, like, my babysitter let me watch Ghostbusters when I was five and I started pooping the bed, I mean genuinely scary in an existential way

Old 10-23-2015, 08:47 PM   #2
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

any doc abt the environment

Old 10-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #3
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

only movie that had an impact on me was the exorcist but the first time i saw it i wasnt yet used to horror films. Was an adult though but maybe it would have had less of an impact if id seen ti now. Then there was ju-on but i saw it in the theater which helps.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:19 PM   #4
Eulogy
huh

Do you consider gore scary? Is disturbing scary? I feel like scary is a hard term to define.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:32 PM   #5
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

As a kid, either The Shining or Candyman.

Now....I dunno. I scare pretty easy. Probably some formulaic junk like The Conjuring or Jessabelle.

I find stuff like Paranormal Activity or whatever it is, not that frightening. It takes a good, somewhat fleshed out, evil villain for me to consider it truly a scary movie.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:39 PM   #6
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

has anyone seen Green Inferno?

Old 10-23-2015, 11:14 PM   #7
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Spider-Man 3 was p scary I thought Peter Parker was a dead but he lived thank god.

Old 10-24-2015, 01:15 AM   #8
D.
Consume my pants.

The original Halloween and Halloween II will always be the scariest to me.

I was allowed to watch them at a very young age and even now Michael Myers is the reason I sometimes get scared if I'm in a house by myself.

Halloween III i love for completely different reasons, though.

Old 10-24-2015, 01:32 AM   #9
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

original Halloween is a fucking masterpiece

Old 10-24-2015, 01:51 AM   #10
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

really? halloween? i don't know...i find slasher movie not very scary. even if yeah, halloween is probably the best one in the genre. Not that it means that much. its not even close to being carpenter's best film (hint: that would be The Thing)

Old 10-24-2015, 06:16 AM   #11
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

John Carpenter movies make me groan inside...I just know I'm in for 90 minutes of shitty music when I see his name.

I did find Halloween pretty scary. In that genre though, I think I found the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre scarier.

Actually the one I found most terrifying was that mini-series with Brian Dennehy about John Wayne Gacy. Now whenever I see Brian Dennehy a part of me pees my pants, a little.

http://irishecho.com/wp-content/uplo...07/dennehy.jpg

Old 10-24-2015, 06:18 AM   #12
vixnix
Socialphobic

The most terrified I have ever been is watching Ju-On, so I think I'm gonna have to go with that. Babadook came close, but Ju-On will probably always be number one.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/...20140720063243

Old 10-24-2015, 06:40 AM   #13
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
John Carpenter movies make me groan inside...I just know I'm in for 90 minutes of shitty music when I see his name.

you what

Old 10-24-2015, 06:41 AM   #14
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
the FUCK you say

Old 10-24-2015, 06:42 AM   #15
vixnix
Socialphobic

because he writes all his own soundtracks and they're all terrible

Old 10-24-2015, 06:42 AM   #16
TuralyonW3
Immortal

just stop

Old 10-24-2015, 06:45 AM   #17
vixnix
Socialphobic

Are you trolling me, you can't possibly think that sonic drivel is worth defending

Old 10-24-2015, 06:57 AM   #18
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

noooooooo

Old 10-24-2015, 07:57 AM   #19
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

The only ones that get to me as adult are films like Repulsion or Babadook, where you watch someone in a real life situation slowly loose their fucking mind.

All the rest are just superstitious folk tale crap to me.

I love horror movies of all types just don't find many of them very frightening at all.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:59 AM   #20
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Are you trolling me, you can't possibly think that sonic drivel is worth defending
Yeah that drivel only launched entire genres of music that are popular right now.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:07 AM   #21
vixnix
Socialphobic

hmmm, interesting, hadn't heard about that. must be terrible genres of music.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #22
Starla

I haven't seen the exorcist. As a child I went through a phase of terror, feeling scared of being possessed or overtaken by the devil. It's not like I believe in this now but there's a part of me that's still scared of that kind of shit.

I'd have to say pet cematary used to get to me. The last film that had me spooked was Sinister.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #23
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
hmmm, interesting, hadn't heard about that. must be terrible genres of music.
C'mon you guys, this is trolling. Pro tip: any time you respond to something she says and she doubles down or gets even more ridiculous in rebuttal, you know she's strollin' and trollin'.

Although this does take me back to a more innocent time when trolling was a crafted persona (playing dumb to get a rise, etc.) or played for years with no hint of self awareness, no one really knowing if they were being put on.

Nowadays "trolling" is just watered down to mean hate speech or anyone who's opinion differs from one's own.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:10 AM   #24
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

It's a lost art. I had a good run of jimmy rustling but that sword's been put away. Now I just shitpost for cheap giggles.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #25
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Red face

Quote:
because he writes all his own soundtracks and they're all terrible
you can't be possibly saying that this song isn't fucking awesome:

Old 10-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #26
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

with adam sandler on keys

Old 10-24-2015, 11:14 AM   #27
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Ju-On, oh god. saw it once and didn't dare to rewatch it ever again, maybe this year.

also I wanted to see 1&2 - the Ju-On tv movies before the big one, and never got around to it. anyone seen those? each one shot in a week or something.

Quote:
As a kid, either The Shining or Candyman.
you know a film messed with you when you remember details of the day you saw it twenty years later. I do, fuck you Candyman.
Was alone at home that night for whatever reason, and it was on tv after midnight. what the hell was I thinking.
When I want to feel creeped out now I just listen to the soundtrack, works every time.

Last edited by pavementtune : 10-24-2015 at 11:22 AM.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:19 AM   #28
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
has anyone seen Green Inferno?
My mom did. Said it was gross.

T won't go with me : (

Old 10-24-2015, 11:28 AM   #29
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

you aren't talking about the 80s movie then, the Italian Green Inferno?

god damn fuck you Eli Roth and your awful remakes.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:43 AM   #30
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Red face

thing is every time i watch The Thing i'm like man that's a great carpenter soundtrack... then eventually i remember it's Morricone. Though it sounds like it should be carpenter since it's so minimalistic. What is known as "the theme":

in the opening:

Genius if you ask me. It helps that the movie is too. It was a failure at the time of its release (it took a good twenty years before it was rehabilitated as the cult classic this deserved to be) and this soundtrack....was nominated for a razzie.... proving that most critics know fucking shit about shit. Maybe they thought it must have been Carpenter doing it and that it was ok to shit on the B movie guy. I mean this is 1982, you mean to tell me there wasn't like 300 super shitty synth soundtracks (synths are great but its a fact they were very poorly (over)used more than half the time in the 80s) to choose from for the razzies? Its not even like the thing was a hit so they couldn't be doing it to shit on something popular. though maybe someone had a score to settle (pun not originally intended) with morricone.

All i know is when this theme starts at the end and (could be spoiler ahead) Macready says the last line: "why don't we just... wait here for a little while... see what happens?" You either get chills or you're not alive.