Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2003, 04:08 AM   #1
Axis of Action

Default Everything You Never Wanted to Know

so here we go. another FAQ. again, the "don't kill me rule" applies.

This is a FAQ for every song Zwan has covered - live and in the studio (as far as we know). It details where the song came, and it's roots and so on.

The purpose? Well, there's the whole I like wasting my own time thing. There's also the idea that it'd be fun to examine the roots that Zwan are displaying with their wide range of covers. I've got a list of all the songs I've known they've covered, but only one song filled out so far. Tell me other covers, give me information, and let's have a good time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sam Brase’s Zwan’s Covers FAQ
Version 0.1

All Day and All of the Night (The Kinks)

performed:

lyrics:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autumn Leaves (Prevert / Kosma / Mercer)

This song shows Corgan's expanding musical depth. Originally written by Jacques Prevert and Joseph Kosma in French, the song was then translated to English by Johnny Mercer. Kosma and Prevert met while scoring the ballet "Rendezvous" and collaborated on a number of projects. The project which spawned Autumn Leaves was the French movie "Les Portes de la Nuit" (Doors of the Night), directed by Marcel Carne (interestingly, Jacques Prevert wrote the screenplay for it with actor Yves Montand). It was written in 1947; the only easily available copy of Autumn Leaves sung in French can be found on the Edith Piaf albums "Early Years, Vol. 5: 1950 - 1962" and "Grandes Exitos." A number of Johnny Mercer albums have his rendition of it, probably most easily found on "My Huckleberry Friend."
More about Doors of the Night? Good call. It was a dark movie, about World War II (obviously, taking place in France). The original lyrics were more depressing apparently, and Mercer made the song more uplifting.
Interestingly, many, many people have covered this song. It is apparently quite the popular song. Over one thousand to be exact. Versions have gotten as crazy as 20-minute jazz masterpieces. So... I really wonder what BC's was like.

performed: 02.10.14

lyrics (BC presumably sung them unchanged):

The falling leaves
Drift by the window
The autumn leaves
Of red and gold

I see your lips
The summer kisses
The sunburned hands
I used to hold

Since you went away
The days grow long
And soon I'll hear
Old winter's song

But I miss you most of all
My darling
When autumn leaves
Start to fall

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Break on Through (The Doors)

performed:

lyrics:

Careless Love (Traditional)

performed:

lyrics:

Don't Let Me Down (The Beatles)

performed:

lyrics:

Exodus (Bob Marley)

performed:

lyrics:

Happy Birthday (Hill / Hill / Coleman)

performed:

lyrics:

I'm Eighteen (Alice Cooper)

performed:

lyrics:

I'm Waiting for the Man (Reed)

performed:

lyrics:

If You're Gone (Gene Clark)

performed:

lyrics:

Jesus, I (David Lyte)

performed: a lot.

lyrics:

Lonesome Day Blues (Blind Willie McTell)

performed:

lyrics:

Love Me Two Times (The Doors)

performed:

lyrics:

Never My Love (The Association)

performed:

lyrics:

Rain in the Summertime (The Alarm)

performed:

lyrics:

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (MacColl)

performed:

lyrics:

The Game of Love (Clint Ballard Jr.)

performed:

lyrics:

The Number of the Beast (Iron Maiden)

performed:

lyrics:

Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You (Bob Dylan)

performed:

lyrics:

What the World Needs Now is Love (Bacharach / David)

performed:

lyrics:

Who We Be (DMX)

performed:

lyrics:

Last edited by Axis of Action : 01-24-2003 at 02:59 PM.