Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2020, 09:32 PM   #391
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

he couldn't make it through a fucking episode, allegedly!

mind you, i took (LOL) this news w/ a grain of salt considering this the same homeboy who created the "BC Poop Lyrics" thread in recent times, lololol

Old 05-18-2020, 09:37 PM   #392
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Well, that's all well and good but we're on another page and I still don't know what the fuck I'm supposed to watch now that I'm done with Silicon Valley.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:51 PM   #393
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

find something on YouTube - that's where all the real shit is anyway

Old 05-18-2020, 09:55 PM   #394
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

hey i tried my best to like it. i had just finished breaking bad and was ready for more. it just felt forced and fake.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:02 PM   #395
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Lightbulb

would you say it felt like some some sort of...

bottleg illegal?

Old 05-18-2020, 10:13 PM   #396
FoolofaTook

Old 05-18-2020, 10:18 PM   #397
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

BCS is better than breaking bad.

there, i said it

Old 05-18-2020, 10:20 PM   #398
Eulogy
huh

RUN is not very well reviewed but I fucking love it.

I’ve also watched... every season of 90 day fiancée and am more than halfway through before the 90 days. This is where I am.

The last dance was also great.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:22 PM   #399
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
fellow boarders - i watched the recap of Ozark before starting Season 3.

but i only remembered maybe 30% of the content in there!

i don't feel like i can watch this without remembering more. i'm at an impasse right now :/
Also perfect trashy garbage. I absolutely loved season 3. Acting is superb.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:24 PM   #400
Eulogy
huh

Also binged unbelievable on Netflix.

Toni Collette

And

Merrit Wever

Are you kidding me. Gay mans dream.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:39 AM   #401
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
I’ve also watched... every season of 90 day fiancée and am more than halfway through before the 90 days. This is where I am.

my wife watches 90 day fiance and before the 90 days. at first i didn't understand why she would watch such a thing. then i started paying a little more attention, and i got sad, and for nearly every single person on the show, i would think, "who hurt you?" and now.. fuck, i guess i have to say that i watch 90 day fiance too. there are certain couples where it is actually too gross / offensive / exploitative and i tune out when they're on, but other than that, yeah, i guess i watch the show now

Old 05-19-2020, 12:42 AM   #402
wHATcOLOR

i recently watched people just do nothing based on someone's recent recommendation here.

i am mixed on it.. i loved chabuddy g. that guy is my favorite, just hilarious. i didn't enjoy the obvious attempt to be "the office" in a different setting, it wasn't very subtle. there were definitely times when it was sad, and when the main character is not showing any redeemable qualities at all

but i noticed they are making a movie, which i do anticipate watching. chabuddy g baby!!

Old 05-19-2020, 07:13 AM   #403
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
hey i tried my best to like it. i had just finished breaking bad and was ready for more. it just felt forced and fake.
Block of the night

Old 05-19-2020, 07:32 AM   #404
FoolofaTook

The scholarly abbreviation for in-text citation references to the Epistle of James is "Jas." Do you know why?

So that it isn't "Jam"!

Old 05-19-2020, 08:13 AM   #405
FoolofaTook

Talking

What's wrong? Where'd you go?

Can't handle a little clean comedy? You scared?

Old 05-19-2020, 11:07 AM   #406
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

Quote:
second was the great, with elle fanning, which was not something i'd usually go for but in the end found it quite good

anyone watch either series?
I'm three episodes in and I don't know if I can keep going. It's by the writer of the movie The Favourite, which I absolutely loved, and this is similar in a lot of ways. But I dislike almost every character (and I normally might find a character reprehensible but still enjoy watching them), especially Peter, and the humor in particular is just not landing for me at all. This thing should be right up my alley and I wish I liked it. It seems like basically everybody else does, and I'm glad it's working for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
Also binged unbelievable on Netflix.
Loved this one, though that may be the wrong word for something that made me so angry.

Old 05-19-2020, 02:07 PM   #407
wHATcOLOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
I'm three episodes in and I don't know if I can keep going. It's by the writer of the movie The Favourite, which I absolutely loved, and this is similar in a lot of ways. But I dislike almost every character (and I normally might find a character reprehensible but still enjoy watching them), especially Peter, and the humor in particular is just not landing for me at all. This thing should be right up my alley and I wish I liked it. It seems like basically everybody else does, and I'm glad it's working for you.

ah bummer it's not landing. i agree with those flaws.. many times the humor isn't very good, it's just cruel and not particularly smart. every once in a while, it would be so absurd i couldn't help but laugh, but there's only so many times you can call a guy fatso without losing people. also, it's not like a serious objection of mine, but the amount of sex scenes is ramped way up.. my wife was commenting on it, saying, "what is this, hbo? it's not really advancing the plot or anything.." and i tried to make a comparison between sex scenes in hbo, and now netflix and hulu shows to the 'loudness wars' in music and her eyes glazed over with boredom

for what it's worth, i did find it got better as it went along, the shows hit more, different emotional notes.. but the peter stuff remains so it may not be worth keeping going

Old 05-19-2020, 02:48 PM   #408
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
my wife watches 90 day fiance and before the 90 days. at first i didn't understand why she would watch such a thing. then i started paying a little more attention, and i got sad, and for nearly every single person on the show, i would think, "who hurt you?" and now.. fuck, i guess i have to say that i watch 90 day fiance too. there are certain couples where it is actually too gross / offensive / exploitative and i tune out when they're on, but other than that, yeah, i guess i watch the show now
Lol this sounds almost like my husband. He sort of pays attention and will catch himself when he starts asking questions about what’s going on lol.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:22 PM   #409
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

Quote:
ah bummer it's not landing. i agree with those flaws.. many times the humor isn't very good, it's just cruel and not particularly smart.
Yeah, for me it's like one step of sophistication up from somebody being kicked in the crotch and a second person yelling "That's gonna leave a mark!" In fact I could see this exact thing happening, probably with the maid saying it. I don't mind cruel jokes — I just watched most of Veep before it disappeared from Hulu, and that's wall-to-wall people being horrible to one another. And that almost never got old for me. I do think that, here, they're just trying to get a lot of mileage out of "people in period pieces don't cuss or say explicit things — but what if they did" and it's like, it's no longer shocking, guys.

I'm glad it gets better/does more as it goes…I may give it another try based on that.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:34 PM   #410
wHATcOLOR

does anybody here watch Terrace House? it's the same basic idea as The Real World, except it's japanese, and so the culture is very different than in the US. my wife got into it a couple years ago, and i started watching it with her periodically. for me, it's a touch too boring and G rated so i only watch parts, but i love little bits here and there, and the commentary that the 'hosts' provide is often fun.

anyhow, i was so so upset to learn today that hana kimura on the current season killed herself yesterday.

she's a professional wrestler in japan. she was 22. on the show you'd see that she was quite inexperienced in relationships and love, which lead to some cringey moments, but she took a good attitude towards it was trying hard to learn more. i thought she had an amazing upbeat personality and was more assertive than the typical japanese girls on the show, in a good way.

in any case, from what i understand, here's what happened -- (the most recent season that precipitated these events has not aired in the US, only japan) -- there was a big blowup (and by the way, a big blowup on this show is like a frank discussion with pointed words, it's incredibly civil and respectful by american standards) -

this guy kai (who happens to have been raised in the united states, and judging by his standup routine, which he delivered in english, seemed to be a real ass) did laundry and didn't check the machines, and ended up ruining hana's professional wrestling attire.

in addition to that, apparently many other things had been building up, with the theme of kai not showing respect and only thinking about himself.

so she confronted him and said he should not have done this, etc. etc. he didn't really react much except to say he is sorry. and as she was ending the confrontation, she knocked off his hat.

apparently kai left the next episode. and fans were incredibly mean online to hana. she said she was getting about 100 people expressing 'frank opinions' a day. basically the online bullying was too much.

she made some tweets saying how it was too much, said goodbye, etc. and she posted a pic of cuts to her wrists and that same night she died.

honestly it made me feel sick about it. 22 years, just barely beginning your life as an adult, a lovely person from everything i saw, putting in the work to set herself up for a good life. it's such an unnatural position to be in, to have your life broadcast to so many people, and then to have your arguments dissected by so many, and to be directly reachable by so many people, who are willing to say things you'd never say in person.. i'm not saying this well, i'm just really beyond sad this happened.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:26 AM   #411
Eulogy
huh

That’s very sad. I watch a fair amount of reality television but would not dream of posting about people. Some assholes like... go to these people’s Facebook pages to insult them and it’s just... why would you do that?

So I guess I shouldn’t watch these because I’m in a way helping foster that kind of behavior.

On par with me still eating meat with no justification available. Moral failings.

Old 06-07-2020, 01:44 AM   #412
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Just binged my way through 3/4 of season 4 of Working Moms tonight, and am headed toward the final 1/4. Silly.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:23 PM   #413
wHATcOLOR

I just rewatched Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

i f'ing love that show man. it's not perfect, but it is very good. if you like terminator, it's such a good way to spend some material time in that universe. the movies.. i mean they're just a couple hours right? and they gotta put a big chase scene in there... so you're not really left with much time for story

whereas this show had 31 episodes. and they've worked in a ton of references to T1 and T2, really slots in nicely. lena headey is great in it. garrett dillahunt is one of my favorite actors, and he's rad in it. summer glau is also great in it. brian austin green is also really good. shirley manson might not be amazing, but is sufficiently creepy when required. there are some really excellent, memorable moments in it.

i remember when it was getting cancelled, i was so angry.. and you can tell from the finale they were planning to do a lot more with it, such a bummer it ended like that.

there are plenty of flaws, several episodes that aren't great, a handful of characters that are annoyoing, etc. but on the balance, the writing is really good, the acting is really good, i think it's my favorite part of the terminator world. i felt quite sad when it finished on this rewatch

Old 07-15-2020, 08:45 PM   #414
FoolofaTook

Old 07-25-2020, 10:03 PM   #415
Shallowed
Braindead

I recently binge watched and overall enjoyed Peep Show

here's a decent write up on it which largely reflects my thoughts and feels on it

https://dormin.org/2020/01/22/peep-s...ive-ever-seen/

Old 07-25-2020, 11:02 PM   #416
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I always understood the show as being an exploration of selfishness through situational comedy, the point-of-view videography being virtually avant-garde outside of certain other filmed media at the time and key to any interpretation.

Old 07-25-2020, 11:34 PM   #417
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

the twins! I'm always going on about the twins

Old 08-02-2020, 03:04 AM   #418
wHATcOLOR

Love on the Spectrum on Netflix is the thing I've enjoyed the most during quarantine, by far. probably my favorite thing I've seen in years.

I just love it. love love love. it's heartbreaking and sometimes uplifting and such a wonderful slice of humanity. i just want to cry.

Old 08-02-2020, 04:02 PM   #419
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

tales from the loop is very slow but it was mostly nice

I was happy when i found out shane carruth was there somewhere
but then there was the news of him being a jerk and a creep and omg I'm glad he's retired

Old 08-02-2020, 04:03 PM   #420
FoolofaTook

season 5 of black mirror SUCKS ASS