Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #361
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

or band management did. promo via mancow has done enough for this tour, I would think.

oh wait no my timeline is off. last friday he was still promoting sp, after the guessthisbatteredwoman stunt? well then nevermind.

maybe they just wait until ticket sales actually start.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:34 PM   #362
douglas78
Apocalyptic Poster

It was after the battered rock star stunt...but you're probably right. After tickets go on sale.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:24 PM   #363
glass85
Demi-God

http://i63.tinypic.com/2a4sn44.png

Old 02-20-2018, 05:21 PM   #364
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
lmfao

I'm literally laughing my ass off! I've sincerely never seen that design before! God, what the hell were they thinking
I love it

Last edited by Funbags : 02-20-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #365
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

The Mancow interview with Billy begins at 57 minutes or so...

http://www.wlup.com/2018/02/16/bret-ernst-joins-mancow/

Last edited by Funbags : 02-20-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #366
douglas78
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post

good lookin' out!

Old 02-20-2018, 06:05 PM   #367
Ram27
dumb

Smashing Pumpkins are almost reunited — and that’s the problem
Without original bassist D’Arcy Wretzky, is it right to honor the band’s ’90s halcyon days?

https://www.salon.com/2018/02/19/sma...s-the-problem/

On Thursday, Smashing Pumpkins announced their first concerts -- to feature three of the band's original members, vocalist/songwriter Billy Corgan, drummer Jimmy Chamberlin and guitarist James Iha — since 2000. Dubbed the Shiny And Oh So Bright Tour, the extensive trek is being promoted as the band playing music from their first five albums: the psychedelic hard rock fever dream "Gish"; alt-rock behemoths "Siamese Dream" and "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness"; the electronic excursion "Adore"; and the New Order mash note "Machina/The Machines of God."

The announcement didn't come without drama, of course. In the weeks leading up to the tour, debate raged as to whether original bassist D'Arcy Wretzky would be involved, making it a true reunion of the classic Smashing Pumpkins lineup. The news cycle was whiplash-inducing, as it changed by the day and involved the sharing of private text messages and plenty of he said-she-said denials. Things got so heated and intense that the band issued a statement about comments Wretzky had made in an interview with a site called BlastEcho — which in turn led to her doing her first extensive interview in 20 years, in which she laid out her side of the story.

Unsurprisingly, when the Smashing Pumpkins tour dates arrived, Wretzky wasn't involved. For many fans, that's a deal-breaker. Although she's been out of the group since 1999, she remains beloved, as integral a part of the golden-era lineup as any other member. It's easy to see why: Wretzky was an unflappable and nimble player, with an impossibly cool stage presence and the kind of performance confidence that was empowering. In a charmingly awkward vintage MTV interview, Corgan mentions all of the letters Wretzky received from girls especially thanking her for being "somewhat inspirational in a band."

However, the tour press release came packaged with a stark and serious black-and-white photo featuring long-time guitarist Jeff Schroeder next to the three original members. Seeing a Smashing Pumpkins lineup with four men was almost a jarring sight, since for much of the band's history, they've had a kickass woman playing bass. (One notable exception was a late 2014 lineup when the Killers' Mark Stoermer filled in, as part of a lineup that also featured Rage Against the machine drummer Brad Wilk.)

After Wretzky left in 1999, former Hole member Melissa Auf der Maur took over as touring bass player. In fact, she played on the tour for "Machina/The Machines of God," the final record that's part of the Shiny And Oh So Bright Tour. When Smashing Pumpkins reconvened in 2007 after a few years away, Ginger Reyes, Nicole Fiorentino and then Katie Cole assumed bass duties. (For the record, Corgan was asked about Smashing Pumpkins' tendency to have female bassists in a 2012 Consequence of Sound interview, and his answer illuminated much about the band's distinct sound.)

Over the years, other women — including violinist Gingger Shankar, keyboardist Lisa Harriton and multi-instrumentalist Sierra Swan — have also joined the band on tour. The gender diversity within their live lineup has always been one of Smashing Pumpkins' biggest assets, as it was effortless and didn't feel like tokenism. Like another influential rock band, Pixies, Smashing Pumpkins had a woman (or women) in the band. It was just what they did.

Studio-wise, things are somewhat more complicated. Corgan's domination in this realm has been well-documented and, admittedly, the group has covered a slew of male-fronted rock bands. However, one of the act's biggest '90s radio hits is a delicate cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide," a Stevie Nicks songwriting masterpiece, while Blondie and Missing Persons covers appear on the boxed set "The Aeroplane Flies High." Corgan has also written vividly about women: the fantastical figures portrayed in "To Sheila" and "Porcelina of the Vast Oceans," for example, or "For Martha," which is an elegy for his late mother.

During live shows, Smashing Pumpkins also put a howling (and rather reverent) spin on Britney Spears' "Piece of Me" about a decade ago — and it was one of the few Spears rock covers that didn't feel ironic or shticky. Even the band's album art prioritized female iconography. For example, NPR reported on how "Mellon Colie and the Infinite Sadness" used a body from Raphael's "Saint Catherine of Alexandria" painting and a face lifted from Jean-Baptiste Greuze's "The Souvenir" to create the angelic figure.

Of course, to be fair, with details of the 2018 concerts just starting to emerge, who's to say that the touring band won't have more gender parity? Plus, pointing out that the current Smashing Pumpkins core lineup is all men isn't meant to shade any of the musicians. To the contrary, Schroeder is a fantastic guitarist, songwriter and creative foil for Billy Corgan, as well as a talented artist in his own right. (Listen to his excellent and sadly defunct band the Lassie Foundation and thank me later.) Chamberlin's drumming style has been massively influential to generations of musicians, while Iha is a versatile musician and guitarist who improves any band with whom he plays.

And, of course, there's no denying that Corgan's vision helped Smashing Pumpkins become an alt-rock pillar in the '90s. The band drew on familiar eras — classic rock, synth-pop, shoegaze and psychedelic rock — and combined them all into something ferocious, fresh and exciting. However, Smashing Pumpkins didn't get to the multi-platinum point without help. In fact, it feels disingenuous to celebrate the band's halcyon days without Wretzky, as it feels like an erasure of the contributions she made to the group and this music.

In a nostalgic twist, Smashing Pumpkins announced this 2018 tour with a video featuring the original "Siamese Dream" album cover stars, Ali Laenger and LySandra Roberts, who are now adults. Besides making any '90s kid feel positively ancient (after all, the women were just tiny kids back then) it was also a stark reminder that time doesn't stand still. The classic rock phenomenon — bands touring with a negligible amount of original members — long ago started trickling down into other, younger genres. That Smashing Pumpkins would be on a victory lap without all original members isn't out of the ordinary. It's just a tough bit of historical revisionism to swallow.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:10 PM   #368
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Billy must be sprouting hernias left and right.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:11 PM   #369
SPLATTER
Demi-God

he's embracing nostalgia to "rebuild the band creatively" ... lol... this guy is a spin master.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:18 PM   #370
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

joined by longtime recent collaborator Jeff Schroeder

Old 02-20-2018, 06:49 PM   #371
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

It just occurred to me:

Why are we complaining about a nostalgia tour? Do you really wanna hear shit from Zeitgeist/Teargaren/Oceania/Monuments/Ogilala?

Old 02-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #372
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

BUT B0LLY SED HE WOULDNT DO IT! I DUN LIKE HIS NEW MUSIC AND I DUN LIK WUT HEZ D0ING NOW JUST REED MY MIND B0LLY GIVE ME XACTLY WUT I WANTTTTT

Old 02-20-2018, 09:06 PM   #373
Ram27
dumb

I'm not upset about the tour, I'm upset about Jeff. If it was BC/JC/JI/[anyone on bass; D'arcy would be great but the Machina tour was incredible anyway] it would be great, and I'd be happy Corgan was embracing the nostalgia

Jeff ruins any nostalgia because he's a hallmark of the horrible, chaotic present. He's going to wank over all the old songs and destroy nostalgia.

Having Jeff play is like watching old home videos of you as a kid, except you're constantly taken out of the memories of playing catch with your dad for the first time, your fourth birthday party, going out for pizza after getting all As. You're constantly reminded that you've destroyed your life, your apartment is dirty, you're broke and have no hope for the future. Everything has crumbled, nothing is the same; Corgan can't sing anymore, can't write anymore. All our dreams are lost at sea.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:07 PM   #374
Ram27
dumb

terrible_ebow_solo_over_Stumbleine.wav

Old 02-20-2018, 09:08 PM   #375
fuzzyroes
Banned

Regarding that Salon.com article, I think the male bassist will be thorn in the sides of a lot of people. The female bass player was always a big selling point of their image in their heyday... Which is why I figured Billy would get some other lady to fill in... But seeing Bates up there just looks weird. It's always looked off when it was Stoermer or on the Manson tour. I can see it bugging a lot of the casuals.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 02-20-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:13 PM   #376
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
I'm not upset about the tour, I'm upset about Jeff. If it was BC/JC/JI/[anyone on bass; D'arcy would be great but the Machina tour was incredible anyway] it would be great, and I'd be happy Corgan was embracing the nostalgia

Jeff ruins any nostalgia because he's a hallmark of the horrible, chaotic present. He's going to wank over all the old songs and destroy nostalgia.

Having Jeff play is like watching old home videos of you as a kid, except you're constantly taken out of the memories of playing catch with your dad for the first time, your fourth birthday party, going out for pizza after getting all As. You're constantly reminded that you've destroyed your life, your apartment is dirty, you're broke and have no hope for the future. Everything has crumbled, nothing is the same; Corgan can't sing anymore, can't write anymore. All our dreams are lost at sea.
I agree with you completely, but the brilliant thing for Corgan is that hardly anyone paid any attention to the band during the Shroeder years. Most people will probably assume that he's newly hired for the tour and playing up.

Billys complete obscurity during the past 10 years really helps sell the authenticity surrounding the idea of a reunion. I'm sure a lot of fans have even forgotten all about the Zeitgeist tour. For all intents and purposes, to most people this is the first Smashing Pumpkins tour in 18 years... At least that seems to be the angle that Live Nation is banking on.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:55 PM   #377
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

99% of the people going to the shows won't care at all about Jeff. They see Billy, they see the long haired asian, they see JC. I guarantee someone on this board that attends a show hears someone in the crowd say 'who is that other guy on guitar?' And I also guarantee someone hears the response 'I dont know. Must just be some guy they hired for the tour.'

Old 02-20-2018, 10:32 PM   #378
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Regarding that Salon.com article, I think the male bassist will be thorn in the sides of a lot of people. The female bass player was always a big selling point of their image in their heyday... Which is why I figured Billy would get some other lady to fill in... But seeing Bates up there just looks weird. It's always looked off when it was Stoermer or on the Manson tour. I can see it bugging a lot of the casuals.
I would think that they'll place James on one side of Billy, and Jeff on the other with Jack Bates in the background, kind of like The Rolling Stones do with their touring bassist. If Jack is up front and prominent it will probably confuse a lot of casual fans.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:35 PM   #379
Laundro
Pledge

Is the Machina representation going to extend beyond The Everlasting Gaze, Stand Inside Your Love and the usual suspects (HMM, GatGC, BSBT)?

Bummed about no MII material, but maybe it's for the better. I can easily imagine Jeff wanking all over Go

Old 02-20-2018, 10:37 PM   #380
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

The absence of D'arcy isn't even the biggest issue. It's Jeff. How do we know he's not going to noodle over classic songs and make up different parts? Hopefully he can stick to the script and play the parts as they are and not add any stupid e-bow where it doesn't belong. If James actually had a backbone he wouldn't stand for Jeff being included.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:43 PM   #381
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
So I'm thinking of doing the Texas triangle... Austin, Houston, Dallas, all 3 shows
i will probably be at the houston one.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:08 PM   #382
HerVelvetSpleen
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
The absence of D'arcy isn't even the biggest issue. It's Jeff. How do we know he's not going to noodle over classic songs and make up different parts? Hopefully he can stick to the script and play the parts as they are and not add any stupid e-bow where it doesn't belong. If James actually had a backbone he wouldn't stand for Jeff being included.
Every time I think of a song I'd like to hear live on this tour, it's immediately followed by the realization that Jeff will fucking ruin it. Nobody wants to hear Thru the Eyes of Jeff.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:13 PM   #383
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
I would think that they'll place James on one side of Billy, and Jeff on the other with Jack Bates in the background, kind of like The Rolling Stones do with their touring bassist. If Jack is up front and prominent it will probably confuse a lot of casual fans.
That actually wouldn't be too bad. Dude just has no stage presence. You're probably right though. It would explain why they didn't bother including him in the promo shot.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:13 PM   #384
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laundro View Post
Is the Machina representation going to extend beyond The Everlasting Gaze, Stand Inside Your Love and the usual suspects (HMM, GatGC, BSBT)?

Bummed about no MII material, but maybe it's for the better. I can easily imagine Jeff wanking all over Go
Unless Corgan considers both Machinas as one singular album

Old 02-20-2018, 11:16 PM   #385
fuzzyroes
Banned

That's kind of what I'm assuming.

I doubt we'll hear much from Machina 2, but I'm hoping they'll at least have a couple songs represented.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:00 AM   #386
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Would love it, but not betting on it. I don't think he's acknowledged MII much in the last fifteen years apart from VIP songs. I don't think he believes the public remembers it or thinks it made any kind of impression.

I'd kill to hear LMGTWTY or Cash Car Star though as those are probably the only real options. Would love Dross or anything off MII really, but I don't see it happening.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:25 AM   #387
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Eed ills ut eauty ives orever!!

Yeah hope they do Machina ii!

Old 02-21-2018, 12:44 AM   #388
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

Whoa. He sounds humble here. What I get from this is that he knows that people are sceptical about the tour, but he has a multi-year plan. According to him the point of the reunion was always to make new music. He sounds sincere when he says it. You can hear that the whole D'arcy thing is a painful subject to him. He's not his usual shit-talker here.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:54 AM   #389
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:

Lol...he didn't know how to pronounce D'Arcy...what a fucking idiot.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:56 AM   #390
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:

Lol...he didn't know how to pronounce D'arcy...what a fucking idiot.