Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #481
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Vampire Academy

Why in the fuck did I watch this? The only thing interesting about it is that it includes Dhampirs as well as Vampires. I can't think of any other film that has (except maybe Blade, which is a completely different genre).

Everything else about this movie is shit. The actor who plays the Frankenstein monster in Penny Dreadful plays a buff sexy love interest with a Russian accent. Every time he was on screen I kept thinking that he's 30 and he's hooking up with a teenager and "oh yeah, that's the freak from Penny Dreadful!" Gabriel Byrne has a role that he must be ashamed of at this point. And the woman who plays the good looking older sister on Modern Family plays an unpopular nerdy vampire girl.

zero stars

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 05-21-2015 at 12:42 PM.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:39 PM   #482
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Time Lapse

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2669336/

an independent scifi movie. Three friends (a straight couple living with a single chronic gambler friend) discover that their dead neighbor has a camera that takes polaroid photos of the future. Of course, they start doing stupid shit and it fucks with the future.

Not bad for low budget scifi. It's the type of scifi that there should be more of. There are no special effects and there's a bit of a "reveal" at the end.

3 out of 5 stars

Old 05-21-2015, 02:01 PM   #483
bignothing
Demi-God

Starts out really promising but drags on to a really unsatisfying end. I wanted to like this.

Very mediocre everything. Casting was completely off imo - with perhaps the exception of young Ben.

Saw this today, it sucked. CGM is cute though.

I feel like I haven't seen a good movie in a really long time.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:08 PM   #484
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

wtf is wrong with you?

Old 05-22-2015, 05:06 AM   #485
Shallowed
Braindead

Yeah Mad Max Fury Road was fucking great. New favourite movie for me.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:27 AM   #486
MeAndMyLlama

I truly can't believe a 70 year old man directed it. I seriously need to reevaluate my stance on old people.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:41 AM   #487
Shallowed
Braindead

Same man who directed Happy Feet

Old 05-22-2015, 07:48 AM   #488
Shallowed
Braindead

Scorsese is getting on too, still making great movies.

both of their most recent films have heavy doses of sensory overload

/CatherineWheel

Old 05-22-2015, 07:48 AM   #489
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeAndMyLlama View Post
I truly can't believe a 70 year old man directed it. I seriously need to reevaluate my stance on old people.
for reals? moses was like 400-500 years old when he was smiting the amorites and aragorn (son of aragorn, heir of isildur, etc., etc.) was well into his 7th century when he led the assualt on the corsairs of umbar.

fool.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:50 AM   #490
FoolofaTook

kurosawa was 75 when he directed Ran.

fool.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #491
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
Same man who directed Happy Feet
And Babe: Pig in the City.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #492
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post

fool.
i personally consider it his best of the samurai ones.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:47 AM   #493
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Got around to watching Jacob's Ladder.

I really liked... most of it. I dunno, the twist at the end sort of undermined it and seemed sort of hokey instead of being satisfying. I sort of saw it coming because it was a callback to a very important line, but I was hoping they wouldn't go that route. To me, good twists surprise you, but make sense given the logic presented by the film by that point. They make you review all the scenes in a new light, and you sort of go "aha." Maybe I just need a repeat viewing to see how the end of Ladder does that, but to me, it just retroactively made the rest of the movie not make any sense at all. Which is disappointing, because I save for that one element, I really liked the film. Fuck, they should had re-written that.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:28 AM   #494
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post

fool.
I didn't know this. What a lord. I really should spend some more time w Kurosawa.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:28 AM   #495
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

age of ultron: really glad i'm not into comics

Old 05-24-2015, 05:36 AM   #496
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

haha why is that

Old 05-24-2015, 05:36 AM   #497
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."
Red face

I watched that...cam shot torrent. Horrible quality of course but whatever.

Of course i am a comic book fan so i actually have an interest in those films. i mean i'll be honest i don't get why people who are NOT into comics would go see this and then complain it's a silly over the top CGI heavy spectacle. It's kinda the point. It's the only genre where it's wanted and called for and warranted, i feel.

Anyway i didn't care much for the first one, this is much better. About on par with Winter Soldier. At least it wasn't all action all the time like the first. im still annoyed iron man is a one liners guy in this universe. It should be Hawkeye in the avengers for one. i still hate jeremy renner in this role but at least they fleshed him out a little now. He had a surprising amount of screen time. i suppose they figured he had to have a point since its not like he's gonna get his own films.

banner and black widow having a thing is weird to me, that never happened in comics (she has been involved with others though more importantly daredevil but also hawkeye) and in fact would make very little sense for it to happen and even in that version of the marvel universe, i didnt buy it. It's still a bit of a cop out how they're able to sorta control the hulk so easily. I mean he was an original avenger sure (back when hulk comics were still pretty damn silly though) but my feeling is still that hulk should get his own films and not be a part of a team. But i guess they proved nobody wanted to see hulk movies.

They set up a bit of Civil War there by having cap and iron man on opposite sides and fighting for a moment which was nice.

The introdution of the maximoffs is weird without the mutant/x-men link and, spoiler, i dunno why they bother to introduce quicksilver only to have him killed in the same film. Scarlet witch gets rescued by vision at the end which i wonder if it means it'll lead to the relationship they've had in the comics. i think it might be uncomfortable to go there for live action though. I'd actually totally forgot vision was gonna be in this. He kinda gets the most comic bookish intro and really the fact that they did not try to update his look for the film does make him seem like the most classic comic book looking character in the whole cinematic marvel universe now.

in any case, overall, considering the ridiculous amount of characters they have to deal with, Whedon did a pretty impressive job. no one was left out...except maybe quicksilver.... which might explain the death.

Last edited by The exploding boy : 05-24-2015 at 06:16 AM.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:31 AM   #498
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Day Spa View Post
age of ultron: really glad i'm not into comics
I love superhero comics, but I myself don't have much interest in the Marvel Studios films. I watched the ones leading up to and including the first Avengers film (except for Thor) because everyone was talking about how great they were, and all of them were pretty underwhelming, so I kind of gave up on the franchise. The Avengers was probably less interesting than the solo films, which made it even more underwhelming, because it was supposed to be the "payoff," sorta. I guess the one I liked most was the Captain America film, because even though it was sort of more of the same, the fact that it was a period piece kind of made it at least visually interesting, and I liked how Marvel solved the problem of "how do we sell goody-two-shoes superheroes to a modern audience" by just playing him straight instead of injecting it with fake angst (like, you know, Man of Steel).

I think I'm done with the series, but I may check out The Winter Solider, because I hear it is actually a good film and is a bit less hollow and deals with some contemporary geopolitical themes. Then again, a lot of people saying it was a good film are the same people who were saying things like Iron Man and Avengers are good films, so...

Old 05-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #499
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

turns out my two favorite new films are those that managed to draw me in with a single marketing sentence in the first place. loved both.

Rams/Hrutar
Quote:
In a remote Icelandic farming valley, two brothers who haven't spoken in 40 years have to come together in order to save what's dearest to them - their sheep.

The Lobster
Quote:
In a dystopian near future, single people are obliged to find a matching mate in 45 days or are transformed into animals and released into the woods.

good:

- "MacBeth" with Fassbender - rarely a fan of Shakespeare films, but this one is enjoyable for Fassbender alone

- "Carol" with Kate Blanchett and Rooney Mara - visual perfection through and through

- "Youth" with an oldie I love, Michael Kaine. also nice film poster, that should work to be noticed

Old 05-24-2015, 11:52 AM   #500
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Do you live in Europe?

I can't imagine that being a highly-visible billboard on my continent.

We have this weird hangup where nudity, even the most objectifying kind, is perfectly okay so long as you don't show buttcrack or nipple

Old 05-24-2015, 12:05 PM   #501
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

that's a Euro billboard, yes.

would be a shame though if they'd let go of Rachel Weisz' ass for the American posters.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #502
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

i think the fact the billboard was in italian gave it away....

Old 05-24-2015, 01:01 PM   #503
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

mind you in italy they'd mainly be into that kind of poster cause scumfuckery.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:34 PM   #504
Trotskilicious
Banned

rachel weisz is pretty

Old 05-24-2015, 06:35 PM   #505
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Then again, a lot of people saying it was a good film are the same people who were saying things like Iron Man and Avengers are good films, so...
and you claim like comics? wtf

are you more of the kind of person who thinks Batman super seriousness is way better?

Old 05-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #506
Trotskilicious
Banned

iron man and avengers to me are the most on point super hero flicks there have been ever in the world

Old 05-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #507
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

the fact is recently these movies are getting better not worse. The first thor was horrible i thought and the first cap was meh. The second thor was watchable and the second cap was pretty much one of the best of the marvel bunch so far. The weakest iron man i find was the second... A lot would say the third but i don't think people get shane black. Age of ultron i also found better than the first avengers

And guardians of the galaxy was fun.

and if marvel keeps doing what they did with DD on tv/netflix, then i'm all for that too. Though on network, agents of shield was/is horrible.but that the problem with network tv.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:54 PM   #508
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
haha why is that
even not knowing or caring about the backstories, it's fairly plain how top-heavy the Marvel Cinematic Whatever is by this point

like all this pooly-explained stuff happens, thor has an Idris Elba Dream, they basically scream MORE MOVIES COMING, FOOLS at the viewer constantly, and you assume that shit is immaterial at your peril

Old 05-24-2015, 07:30 PM   #509
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

well they do refer to it as the marvel cinematic universe.

it's to be seen more like a series. there will be more episodes. If you'e coming into this movie fresh, then yeah, you are meant to feel like there's bits missing.

Idris Elba has been Heimdall in the two Thor movies ftr.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:30 PM   #510
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

oh yeah and i forgot in my post to mention it was nice that wakanda was established as a place. Cue black panther's entrance in the next cap film.
i also got the distinct feeling that if they had had the FF rights, the eastern european country would have been latveria.