Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #61
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

the characters in chrono trigger were also designed by the guy who designed the dragonball characters i think

toryama or something

Old 03-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #62
spidrr
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' Cherub View Post
the characters in chrono trigger were also designed by the guy who designed the dragonball characters i think

toryama or something
yah, youre right.

Akira Toriyama. also did Dragon Quest characters.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #63
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

the characters were childish and silly though. and the i-decide-what-the-hero-thinks-and-says idea sort of failed too.

still an outstanding game, can't argue with that battle system and setting

Old 03-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #64
Shinobi
Demi-God

VII will always be my favourite, the story, cast, side quests and everything was just perfect.

VIII was a nicely stylized game, I liked the settings, especially the architecture of the gardens. There was a high level of customization on the characters which I like. Getting Odin rocked and loved his random approach to battles. There were lots of secret GFs to collect, the card game was fun, and making the weapons was cool.

IX was alright, I dont really have any major complaints. I think it played through well, the graphics were nice and the cast was good. There was something about the skill system that I didn't quite like, I think its the lack of customization of the chars skill sets. On the flip side of that, it was different having to choose different party set ups instead of different magic set ups used by ur 3-4 fav characters etc

X was good, I enjoyed it, but what annoyed me is how they didnt change the lip sync animation from the japanese. Auron rocked. My ultimate game of this was pretty bad ass, my whole sphere grid had been cleared of all values less than 4, and replaced fully with only value 4's, so you can imagine how powerful my chars were

X-2 ugh...

XII I thought the graphics were great, and i appreciated the new gameplay features, things like collecting the spers was cool but it SUCKEDDDD and kinda ruined the game how they didn't have their original names (ifrit etc). I found the story to be crap, and eventually i lost interest and haven't even finished it yet, it just didnt have that magic like the others did...

Recently I got the ROMS for Breath of Fire 3 and 4, and Suikoden 1 and 2. I think these are great RPGs, theyve always held a special place with me.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #65
spidrr
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
Recently I got the ROMS for Breath of Fire 3 and 4, and Suikoden 1 and 2. I think these are great RPGs, theyve always held a special place with me.
speaking of Suikoden 1 and 2, I just sold my two original game discs (no cases) on ebay for $150

Old 03-03-2008, 04:06 PM   #66
spaceboy_psy
Amish Rake Fighter

That FFVII NES remake looks funking awesome!!! well done that chap.

If this has indeed turned into a "what actually is a good RPG" thread, then I say:

Fallout fallout fallout fallout fallout fallout!!!! Everyone has their doubts about the new one, but 1 and 2 are in my opinion the best RPGS of all time - detailed, clever worlds and stories, great system all round. Marvellous. Just started 2 again as a really-clever but not too likeable junky. Heroes do take drugs. Sometimes...

Old 03-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #67
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

yeah what about part 3 has it come out yet

Old 03-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #68
saferkefka
Demi-God

mystic quest was the best final fantasy. i don care what you other fuckers say.

http://www.spoonybard.net/junk/wtf.gif

Old 03-04-2008, 12:03 AM   #69
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

I've probably played Chrono Trigger more than any other RPG. Terrific story, graphics, characters and music. However, my favorite Square game of all time remains FFVI. It has the best story, music and villain of the series. FFVII has a strong main character in Cloud, but I'd still take Kefka over Sephiroth in a fight any day. Still, VII is a close second. I do love VIII, though the story is kinda goofy at times. IX was okay. X was fun to play, but the characters except for Auron were sub-par. X-2 sucked. My friend borrowed/stole XII, so I haven't finished it yet...one day though.

In terms of world design, though. Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3 were my personal favorites. Very lush and vibrant, and fun to explore. S.o.M. had a great musical score, too. Combat in those two games was a blast.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:43 AM   #70
Dead Frequency
Minion of Satan

Location: They don't know who did it, but they're looking for hardened criminals

remember playing as general leo and then kefka kills him

Old 03-04-2008, 12:52 AM   #71
deadaswarhol
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: and I just felt something when I saw her that day at Kroger

i dont like turn-based. what would i like?

i like zelda and .hack and kingdom hearts

Old 03-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #72
spaceboy_psy
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' Cherub View Post
yeah what about part 3 has it come out yet
If you mean fallout - then it should be out at the end of this year. I think it's going to be awesome. Not nearly as incredible and innovative as the 1st two were in their time, but today that's pretty impossible to emulate anyway. It will be good fun no matter what

Old 03-04-2008, 09:36 PM   #73
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadaswarhol View Post
i dont like turn-based. what would i like?

i like zelda and .hack and kingdom hearts
.hack is terrible and KH is kinda kiddish, though Zelda of course rocks.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #74
spaceboy_psy
Amish Rake Fighter

of course

Old 03-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #75
???
Minion of Satan

i'm getting pretty into this 2005 rpg i recently bought called Stella Deus. its uses the grid-based battle system where you move your characters around like chess pieces and then perform actions. i lament the fact that you can't explore towns, dungeons or non battle areas but the characters and art direction are really cool. and this is probably the first grid-based rpg i've enjoyed, its quite a blast if a little bit slow at times.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #76
christian zombie vampires
Apocalyptic Poster

you know what i realized recently, the big reason VI and IV trumps VII and chrono trigger is because in VII and chrono trigger, they tried to put the player in the position of the lead protagonist by making the protagonist a very neutral character. it was a neat idea at the time probably, but so much worse and less involving than simply having a bunch of lively developed characters interacting with each other.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #77
Apocalyptic Poster

also this VII port is pretty lame.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #78
exactlythesame
Minion of Satan

Location: I thought what I'd do is I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian zombie vampires View Post
you know what i realized recently, the big reason VI and IV trumps VII and chrono trigger is because in VII and chrono trigger, they tried to put the player in the position of the lead protagonist by making the protagonist a very neutral character. it was a neat idea at the time probably, but so much worse and less involving than simply having a bunch of lively developed characters interacting with each other.
What are you talking about? Cloud was certainly had his character developed throughout the entire game.

It worked for Chrono Trigger just because the storyline was so incredible regardless. And it made it all the more amazing when Crono actually did something without you telling him to.

Yeah. That game rocks.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #79
Apocalyptic Poster

cloud was definitely better than crono but still felt less of a character than everyone else, which was awkward since he was the lead. both games are still top notch, it's just i like em a bit less and couldn't put my finger on why until i realized this.

you know what sucked... crono cross.
have there been other RPGs with time travel recently? the concept still has tons and tons of potential.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #80
Phoenix Down
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
Isle: you need to reset your priorities if you're going to waste 3 paragraphs on a game.
like there aren't games worth of writing whole dissertations on.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #81
spaceboy_psy
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian zombie vampires View Post
cloud was definitely better than crono but still felt less of a character than everyone else, which was awkward since he was the lead. both games are still top notch, it's just i like em a bit less and couldn't put my finger on why until i realized this.
Ahhh, now see here it's just coming down to subjectivity, I think. And I think I have always prefered the blanker canvases to the exaggerated in-your-face leads. Both can work really well of course, but I think to generalise, I prefer the immersion that a Cloud/Link type character allows, it makes it more like your are playing a role, filling the character in with parts of yourself or characteristic creations of your own, rather than just passively watching a story unfold. And I find that more fun, usually.

eg. Tidus walks into a room. He's all happy and smiley and it's sunny and birds are singing and the bees are swinging and he opens a chest and takes its contents and it's all just the way the game works, you want the stuff you take you don't think about it cos what's there to think about, let's just get on with the story, right?

or

Link walks into a room. The old lady greets him with a sarcastic grin and a "Oh, hello you fucktard". Link replies with silence and a blank, cold gaze before stealing her life-savings from the chest behind the bed, picking up her cherished crockerey and rather clumsily trying to lob it at her head, then taking a few pot-shots at her chickens with the old slingshot. Fuckin old slag. That'll learn 'er!

sorry, I've kind of lost my point... where on earth did it go?

[of course, that was a hypothetical zelda scenario. I don't think "you fucktard" would fit as a name in zelda games, would it? But you get the idea. "I'm gay!" is a good one... "Oh I'm so glad to see you, I'm gay!" etc etc etc _ ]

Old 03-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #82
Dead Frequency
Minion of Satan

Location: They don't know who did it, but they're looking for hardened criminals

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceboy_psy View Post
Link walks into a room. The old lady greets him with a sarcastic grin and a "Oh, hello you fucktard". Link replies with silence and a blank, cold gaze before stealing her life-savings from the chest behind the bed, picking up her cherished crockerey and rather clumsily trying to lob it at her head, then taking a few pot-shots at her chickens with the old slingshot. Fuckin old slag. That'll learn 'er!

sorry, I've kind of lost my point... where on earth did it go?

[of course, that was a hypothetical zelda scenario. I don't think "you fucktard" would fit as a name in zelda games, would it? But you get the idea. "I'm gay!" is a good one... "Oh I'm so glad to see you, I'm gay!" etc etc etc _ ]
naming link swear words was the best thing about the game

Old 03-05-2008, 11:17 PM   #83
Phoenix Down
Apocalyptic Poster

my favourites are ff2 (the european version that is. i think it was ffIV in japan) - the one with cecil and kain - ff 7 and ff 10.
i tried to play ff7 again and found it almost impossible to enjoy because of the outdated graphics, let alone ff2, so X really stands out but only in terms of graphics. storywise 2 and 7 are far more intrigueing.
i bought xii but haven't finished it, which says a lot about it. the characters as well as the story are kinda like sp2 compared to sp1 (even if fran is hotter than the old bass player female character)

Last edited by Phoenix Down : 03-05-2008 at 11:24 PM.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:39 PM   #84
???
Minion of Satan

bullshit bullshit bullshit. ff7 outdated because of graphics? what the hell. how can anyone call the bland 3D polygon shit superior to all those beautifully painted 2D backdrops. that shit is quintessential final fantasy. yeah the characters in 7 look like stickmen with buckets for hands but that's cool. since X, ff got way too glossy and now it just looks like any other 3D game out there. some things don't need to be changed.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:47 PM   #85
Phoenix Down
Apocalyptic Poster

hehe. i hear you, izzle. have you finally checked out Ico or Shadow of the Colossus?

Old 03-06-2008, 04:05 AM   #86
???
Minion of Satan

i thought i'd already openly expressed my love for both? i've had them for quite a while now. i think ico might be slightly better because shadow was too easy and a bit one-dimensional gameplay wise.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:54 AM   #87
Dead Frequency
Minion of Satan

what is a good rpg for the psp?????????????????????????

Old 03-06-2008, 05:47 AM   #88
???
Minion of Satan

well they've released a bunch of final fantasies for psp recently, i think they're the older ones like 1,2,4 and 5. also FF tactics

aside from that i've only played one called Popolocrois which is fairly standard but has some really nice graphics.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:00 AM   #89
Phoenix Down
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ??? View Post
i thought i'd already openly expressed my love for both? i've had them for quite a while now. i think ico might be slightly better because shadow was too easy and a bit one-dimensional gameplay wise.
oh yeah you did, i guess. can't recommend those two enough, can you.
i hope that guy seriously works his ass off to finish his next project.