Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #61
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
lol I remember when the album cover dropped, a whole bunch of people on the SP board were freaking out like, "No way that's real," "b0lly would never put himself on the front of an album."

http://www.covershut.com/covers/Smas...over-70796.jpg
I had a couple SP albums in the 90's and was a fan... a fickle young man, but by the time the future embrace came out BC wasn't on my radar at all and I remember just seeing the Walking Shade video randomly on TV and thought: "what the hell? Corgans a solo artist now? wasn't he just in that Zwan band?" and then I was surprised by how lame the song and video was.

For me I couldn't really care less if he was doing something other than the Pumpkins. At the time I liked "the lead Zwan single" but downloaded the album and listened to it once and was done with it. But once the SP reunion anticipation started taking place I was excited and stated digging into a lot of material I hadn't heard. I was strictly a gish/SD/MCIS kid but the SP reunion really got me into the band in a hardcore way.

But it makes me have an understanding for people that just kinda lost touch with SP after MCIS... It makes sense how a large chunk of music fans have no idea about anything Corgan does anymore

Old 12-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #62
fuzzyroes
Banned

Of course now as a BC nerd I actually like a few of the songs on the Zwan album but at the time it was a weak follow up to what you'd come to expect from the guy.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:12 PM   #63
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Oh... cool. I'm not sure what in my post you are responding to, but yeah, after the original band folded every release has been disappointing and that was 15 years ago now, so it's understandable that a lot, probably most people who were fans of this band in the 90s are totally uninterested and unaware of what Billy is doing these days. Sometimes when I watch Vieuphoria or other live footage from the early 90s, I wonder how many people from the crowds still follow SP, still listen to their music, or go to their shows. It's like a weird fundamental disconnect... like it seems that it's impossible that any of these dirty flannel wearing teenagers thrashing around to silverfuck even live in the same universe as 2015 Smashing Pumpkins.

but the point I was making was that it was funny that all these "hardcore" fans reacted so viscerally to the TFE cover because it is of BC ("he would never put his face on an album cover") when he in fact is right on the front of his very first album as well.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:34 PM   #64
Punisher
Pledge

Would anyone whisper your death?

Old 12-14-2015, 12:19 AM   #65
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Sometimes when I watch Vieuphoria or other live footage from the early 90s, I wonder how many people from the crowds still follow SP, still listen to their music, or go to their shows. It's like a weird fundamental disconnect... like it seems that it's impossible that any of these dirty flannel wearing teenagers thrashing around to silverfuck even live in the same universe as 2015 Smashing Pumpkins.
Man, I have thought the same thing. The way you wrote this makes me sweetly sad.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:29 AM   #66
redbreegull

it's something I have thought many times and I figured others have too. It's just really weird how distant the band and their fans in like 1993 seem from Billy and his uhhh followers today. Like now we're in the alternate timeline where Spock has a goatee or something.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:14 AM   #67
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
I'm not an expert but this guy kinda looks like he wants a pegging

Old 12-14-2015, 01:46 PM   #68
D.
Consume my pants.

Side note on original topic: i think our honeymoon is going to be road-tripping to Nashville to see Adele and enjoy stops along the way and back. It's the same distance from KC to Chicago as it is KC to Nashville and she's playing the day after the wedding.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:35 PM   #69
FoolofaTook

please, focus on the pegging and massive black cocks

Old 12-16-2015, 10:17 AM   #70
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
Man, I have thought the same thing. The way you wrote this makes me sweetly sad.
The answer is probably next to no one.

Sorta related story:

I remember just entering into a small-town high-school as a big music nerd in a town where it was just hicks and stuff, so the "music people" and I stuck out like sore thumbs. I remember this one chick had a few different SP shirts among many other band shirts etc. Fast forward about 15 years and we were at some party talking about how we kinda recognized eachother from high-school and we're discussing music and I mention that I'm a huge SP fan and she's like OH MANNNNN I used to love them! and I asked what she thought of the new music and she said she hadn't even heard anything since the band broke up!

The girl was always in my head and was self admittedly a huge fan and here she is today- not even interested in the slightest bit to even give a post 2000 album 1 listen. Even younger grunge fans that I knew who were super excited and loved Zeitgeist don't care about the groups output anymore.

It's crazy how they turned into your typical oldies act. Misstep after misstep will do that I guess. It's too bad cause I actually revisited Monuments recently (uploaded it to my new mp3 player)after a several month break and it's a damn good collection of songs aside from the 2 obvious stinkers (which ironically were 2 of the singles... did I mention missteps?)

Old 12-16-2015, 03:01 PM   #71
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
The girl was always giving head