Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 08-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #151
vbshlofbvgos
Apocalyptic Poster

I think that I would have loved this had it been on Adore. Listening to it now, I'm definitely a little underwhelmed. Perhaps it will grow on me in time. I can see now why he left it off the album though.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #152
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

It doesn't fit with the album at all.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #153
Syrial Carpens
Pledge

I like it a lot more the second time around.

paranoid is the only person in this thread who knows what they're talking about

Old 08-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #154
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

The cause of robin williams' death.

Last edited by juliana : 08-11-2014 at 09:23 PM.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #155
Elphenor
Braindead

I like it. Probably more than the M2 version

I didn't expect to be like the greatest thing ever though

Old 08-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #156
Muzz1e
Pledge

I've been waiting for this for so long. There has just been so much hype and build up for this recording. I like it a lot, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit disappointed.

Should it have been on Adore? Probably.

Would it have been a number one hit? I doubt it.

My biggest beef is the end... Wish the strings or something would have came up in the mix. This version doesn't really climax the way it feels like it should.

Granted, there has been all this hype... Maybe the recording would have struck me much differently without said hype?

Still so happy to finally hear it. I do like it.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:08 PM   #157
Whicker
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
too soon...

Old 08-11-2014, 11:10 PM   #158
redbull
Immortal

JUMANJI

Old 08-11-2014, 11:25 PM   #159
Bread Regal
Banned

this is pretty alright. doesn't justify the hype though.

and yeah, why the hell is it clipping like crazy. also, did he just plug an ovation directly into the soundboard, because that's what it sounds like. awful.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:01 AM   #160
aeroplume
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
why the hell is it clipping like crazy
because its 2014.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:30 AM   #161
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm definitely a love-everything-about-Adore guy, but this track was a bit disappointing. Not because of hype yielding an underwhelming end, but because the track just isn't very good.

-The sloppy drum fills are messy, random, unnecessary, and completely out of place from anything else of the Adore era

-The track feels like it should be building up to a climax, but it just sort of ends all of a sudden, like there wasn't an idea from anyone in the studio about where to go with it

-It ultimately sounds like a polished demo

Those three things given, there's no way it fits on Adore. And if what we're hearing now is what they were listening to in the studio before deciding what did and didn't fit on Adore, it's pretty clear that Let Me Give the World to You had absolutely no place on the album. It was awesome to hear something from my favorite era, though. I'm still looking forward to the box set.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:37 AM   #162
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

Also, it's still unthinkable how bad has singing is now compared to then. It sounds like he layed down the Let Me Give the World to You vocals in five minutes... maybe just a place-holder until a more rehearsed take that never materialized. And yet, it sounds pretty good. Raw, but good.

Compare that to his soft singing in 2014. His current-day dropped consonants and terribly-executed vibrato and failed lounge-singer idiosyncrasies are such a mess. I don't see why he can't just sing simple again, like on this track.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:50 AM   #163
Order 66
Socialphobic

i don't know what the "official" track was before this, but the spacey acoustic track (assuming that was it) sounded a lot better

Old 08-12-2014, 01:28 AM   #164
redbull
Immortal

it was the M2 version

Old 08-12-2014, 02:38 AM   #165
mellon_c0llie
Minion of Jesus

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bu0X1YqIgAAXpWo.jpg

Old 08-12-2014, 03:53 AM   #166
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
Another classic Netphoria moment. Thumbs up.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:31 AM   #167
fuzzyroes
Banned

It's fantastic to finally hear this.

Lmgtwty has always been one of my favorite Pumpkins songs so I've been eagerly awaiting this one. It sounds pretty nice and good but I think I prefer the M2 version. This version sounds more emotional and strikes a greater nerve, but the M2 version has such a great atmospheric vibe. Billy really nailed the guitar work for the M2 version.

You know, it's too bad he couldn't find a middle ground between this and the M2 version. Either way, it's a great take- But you can kind of hear why he built upon this for M2... But the M2 version lacks some of the charm that this one has.

The only really weak parts of this new track are the drums (it seriously does sound like a new Byrne remix or something) and that outro... It's such a prolific song in my mind and then the outro just has Billy repeating the same line over and over again without any new dynamics or melodies introduced. Just comes across as kind of lazy (for lack of a better term)... And you can hear on M2 how he wrote a MUCH better outro for this song.

I still can't believe this wasn't included on Adore though. Would have been way better than apples and oranges, annie dog, or tales of dusty and pistol pete

Old 08-12-2014, 05:32 AM   #168
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac View Post
Another classic Netphoria moment. Thumbs up.
Sure Cardiac, it was this beautiful take of LMGTWTY that caused Robin Williams death... ha....ha...ha...

Classic Netphoria moment tis not....

Old 08-12-2014, 08:20 AM   #169
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

underarranged – no doubt this would've had much more going on had they kept working on it for adore. i was expecting a fully-wrought recording, given the public statements about it over the years.

other observations: the drums change dynamic gears quite awkwardly, the vocal production is great but it's not a particularly passionate performance, guitar sounds like a guide track, synth strings stick out like a sore thumb.

nevertheless it's nice to finally hear it. not what i was expecting but it's pretty cool regardless. makes me want to go listen to adore

Old 08-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #170
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyngel View Post
Also, it's still unthinkable how bad has singing is now compared to then. It sounds like he layed down the Let Me Give the World to You vocals in five minutes... maybe just a place-holder until a more rehearsed take that never materialized. And yet, it sounds pretty good. Raw, but good.

Compare that to his soft singing in 2014. His current-day dropped consonants and terribly-executed vibrato and failed lounge-singer idiosyncrasies are such a mess. I don't see why he can't just sing simple again, like on this track.
The vocal performance on this version of LMGTWTY is pretty darn great.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #171
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

Old 08-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #172
T&T
Socialphobic

they tracked this in 1 day?
:shrug: I don't kno why people be fussing.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #173
Barry swedgin
Pledge

I really like it but would agree with a lot of the comments.

I think I was expecting (hoping) for a song in a similar vein to Saturnine and Blissed & Gone, from the era. Maybes Billy'll dumbfound us and produce another, more electronic, version for the Box!

Old 08-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #174
tweedyburd
Ownz

Arrow

Quote:

This.

Can't believe how blah sounding this turned out to be. Probably like a lot of people I expected something more drawn out and epic sounding, especially with the beginning and build-up, ala the few full-band live performances we have from that era. This sounds like a demo, nothing more. Why did Rick Rubin need to be called in to produce this?

Cool to hear and a really great vocal take, but damn...

Old 08-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #175
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

Quote:
I'm definitely a love-everything-about-Adore guy, but this track was a bit disappointing. Not because of hype yielding an underwhelming end, but because the track just isn't very good.

[. . .]

Yeah this is where I've landed. Love the song, not really loving this version of it, and it just doesn't feel finished. I'd built it up in my head as this perfectly produced pop masterpiece but the track sounds like it just wasn't as far along in the process as we'd thought before they decided it wasn't going to fit on the album and stopped working on it.

It's not terrible; I'm sure I'll listen to it a bunch more once the full box set is out. I think I'm just pissed that it sounds a lot closer to a definitive recording than the M2 version (for me anyway) but just isn't quite there.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #176
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

is there an effect on the vocals?

Old 08-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #177
zbeast78
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
I'd built it up in my head as this perfectly produced pop masterpiece but the track sounds like it just wasn't as far along in the process as we'd thought before they decided it wasn't going to fit on the album and stopped working on it.
these long lost songs never live up to their own hype in the end. like when courtney love kept hyping up You Know You're Right as some long lost nirvana masterpiece. then it came out and was alright thats it.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #178
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Has it been confirmed anywhere that Waronker played the drums on this?

Old 08-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #179
bye june
Ownz

After hearing the Machina version and now the Adore version it definitely sounds like it belongs more to the Machina era. Initially, after hearing the various live versions and demos, I didn't like it, nor did I understand the hype around it. Now I think I like the Machina version better.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:46 PM   #180
bye june
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbeast78 View Post
these long lost songs never live up to their own hype in the end. like when courtney love kept hyping up You Know You're Right as some long lost nirvana masterpiece. then it came out and was alright thats it.
I think that song is pretty awesome and it's one of my faves.