Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-03-2015, 11:32 PM   #1
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria
Default The last decade in Syria, as a short cartoon

http://www.upworthy.com/trying-to-fo...minutes?c=ufb2

I didn't know most of this stuff. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but if it is, then Al Gore for all his foibles, did predict this in an Inconvenient Truth, many years ago.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:04 AM   #2
hnibos
Braindead

And people still insist on having kids. Multiple kids. Their future is fucked. Sorry vix, but your kids futures are FUCKED.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
hnibos
Braindead

You ought to teach them basic survival skills in an apocalyptic aftermath.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:16 AM   #4
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I'm worried for them, definitely. We didn't think it through. So now we're just doing the best we know how to do, and hoping that it's enough.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

The comic conveys the attitude that no one could have, or did predict the scope of the conflict, but that's not true. I don't know the veracity of the climate info, but virtually everyone foresaw a colossal disaster in Syria when the Arab Spring started because of sectarianism and ethnic tensions there. I was in school studying international relations when Tunisia and Egypt went down, and all my professors said there would be a prolonged civil war in Syria.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #6
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

its happening folks

Old 09-04-2015, 07:35 PM   #7
Trotskilicious
Banned

itll happen to all of us, in our lifetimes.

in fact, political instability and the collapse of nations will REALLY cut back on emissions. so there you go, thats the good news!

Old 09-04-2015, 09:14 PM   #8
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

So professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?

Old 09-04-2015, 09:47 PM   #9
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
The comic conveys the attitude that no one could have, or did predict the scope of the conflict, but that's not true. I don't know the veracity of the climate info, but virtually everyone foresaw a colossal disaster in Syria when the Arab Spring started because of sectarianism and ethnic tensions there. I was in school studying international relations when Tunisia and Egypt went down, and all my professors said there would be a prolonged civil war in Syria.
That's interesting. I really know nothing about the situation - it seems to me that every country in that region has pretty arbitrary borders and within each nation there are longstanding tribal grievances, and would be a whole degree's worth of reading and writing to get a handle on it.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:47 PM   #10
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
So professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?
Watch Hannibal for recipe ideas, honestly. That show takes it srs.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:36 AM   #11
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
Well, I know precisely what the danger is.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #12
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post

in fact, political instability and the collapse of nations will REALLY cut back on emissions. so there you go, thats the good news!
yeah NY Times just ran a piece on the colossal drop in emissions coming from Syria since the conflict started

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
every country in that region has pretty arbitrary borders and within each nation there are longstanding tribal grievances
I don't know if tribal is the right word, but this is basically the story of the colonized world

Old 09-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #13
Trotskilicious
Banned

yes and cultural oppression and assimilation is how humans interact

Old 09-07-2015, 12:14 AM   #14
redbreegull

Quote:
yes and cultural oppression and assimilation is how humans interact
It's not nice but yeah, this is the general arc of history.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #15
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:

my fingers are crossed that I don't get impacted too much. So that I can retire in 15 years and enjoy a couple of decades kicking back and enjoying my pension, 401k and Social Security. I'll be up north at the lake house at that point, which is on the biggest freshwater lake on the continent and mostly shielded from the kind of drought and heat that the rest of this despicable country will be living through.

#blessed #lifeisgood

Old 09-11-2015, 02:31 PM   #16
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

IMO the USA should take every single Syrian refugee. Bring them all here. We can easily handle a few million people, especially the better educated and those with enough resources to make it to central Europe. these are people with potential to contribute. for the most part EU countries won't do more than warehouse them in hope that the war ends soon.

If the USA can absorb millions of Mexicans we can handle a few more people from the middle east, especially if they settle in metro Detroit, which has a lot of vacant land homes and already is home to almost a million middle eastern immigrants

Old 09-11-2015, 02:46 PM   #17
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Canada will look very tempting to pretty much everyone at some point. We have so much unused land and so much fresh water. Of course a lot of the land is not much usable and it's really cold but still...

Old 09-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #18
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
Canada will look very tempting to pretty much everyone at some point. We have so much unused land and so much fresh water. Of course a lot of the land is not much usable and it's really cold but still...
basically you're talking about Indian land

Old 09-11-2015, 07:20 PM   #19
vixnix
Socialphobic

...said the pot to the kettle

Old 09-11-2015, 07:24 PM   #20
vixnix
Socialphobic

Also Scotty that's not the same lake that all those filthy drunk people have their parties in, is it? Where they shit and piss and puke everywhere and then stand around in it "partying"...because surely even if it's not saline it would be potable after that....!

Old 09-12-2015, 06:00 AM   #21
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
IMO the USA should take every single Syrian refugee. Bring them all here. We can easily handle a few million people, especially the better educated and those with enough resources to make it to central Europe. these are people with potential to contribute. for the most part EU countries won't do more than warehouse them in hope that the war ends soon.

If the USA can absorb millions of Mexicans we can handle a few more people from the middle east, especially if they settle in metro Detroit, which has a lot of vacant land homes and already is home to almost a million middle eastern immigrants
all kidding aside, these numbers I read in the Guardian are like - what.
since 2011 the USA has taken 1.500 Syrian refugees. current calculations say 800.000 to a million for Germany alone by the end of 2015. I don't see how that is going to work out.

In Munich are currently arriving over 1.500 with each train load.
this is just one train, Saturday morning in Munich/6 hours ago
Welcome to Hauptbahnhof!

http://polpix.sueddeutsche.com/bild/...uptbahnhof.jpg

http://www.merkur.de/bilder/2015/09/...nchen-ReMG.jpg

Last edited by pavementtune : 09-12-2015 at 06:10 AM.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:26 AM   #22
Cool As Ice Cream

welcome to munich

Old 09-12-2015, 07:35 AM   #23
vixnix
Socialphobic

oh man the look on the faces of the polizei is priceless. They're like...we don't even know wtf is gonna happen here, at this point.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:46 AM   #24
hnibos
Braindead

White people here would throw a fucking fit if we brought in that many suffering human beings.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #25
FoolofaTook

those poor people. I have two uncles who were refugees from Bosnian back in the 90s. One went to Salzburg, the other to Toronto via Stuttgart. It's gotta suck to lose everything you have. Especially when it isn't your fault. Well, I dunno. It kinda sucks extra special when it is your fault (LOL see me for further details).

Old 09-12-2015, 10:46 AM   #26
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnibos View Post
You ought to teach them basic survival skills in an apocalyptic aftermath.
or they could just watch bear grylls or the sheriff dude in walking dead.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:14 PM   #27
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

cant they just cause the trains to "accidentally" crash.

though it would probably look suspicious after the first one. I mean germans pride themselves on their efficiency and superior engineering. It would seem doubly suspicious.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:24 PM   #28
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
cant they just cause the trains to "accidentally" crash.

though it would probably look suspicious after the first one. I mean germans pride themselves on their efficiency and superior engineering. It would seem doubly suspicious.
the European-wide plan for years was to just watch their boats sink, problem solved!
of course there is the Hungarian approach - mislabel trains (now where have we heard that before), tell them they are allowed to travel through, and trara, surprise! train stops in an internment camp.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #29
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
basically you're talking about Indian land
no not really. Some of it is, most of it is not. you really think most of northern canada is natives land? It's not. I mean yes there used to be natives on most of the land in canada, but then by this definition all of Canada IS native land. Official government recognized native land, that doesn't cover much. You've got 2600 reserves and their surrounding land. Most of those are not in northern canada, and those that are still total a very tiny area overall. Natives represent less than 5% of Canada's population, they really don't cover that much land.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:15 PM   #30
hnibos
Braindead

All of America is native land before they were raped by your great x6 grandfather